McDougall Diet... first stumbling block

Rate this topic

Guest guest

it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the kitchen to

prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the

ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn

tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet

that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local

market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time!

My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or

are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?

So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much

fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn.

Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be

interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...

-Jeannine

Frustrating as heck isn't it? :0) That is why so many people flock to these diet plans that provide your food for you. The problem with those diet plans (besides the preservatives and stuff) is that you never learn how to make the diet change yourself. What I'm trying to say is that most people go through the same thing that you are going through right now....try to perservere. I am not a McDougall-er though I have read from his site and I do get his news letter. I could be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY off here but if you can't get these things....well you can't get them. Here are a couple of my suggestions and I apologize in advance if I'm out of line. Frequently, I have used brown lentils instead of chick peas/garbanzos. You can get them canned or dry and if dry just cook them, There are lot's of lentil dip recipes out there in fat-free vegan land. As for corn tortillas, in most cases, I have found that the flour version are much

higher in fat and calories. Can you get fat free, whole wheat pita bread where you are? That is a good alternative (imo). For chips, split a pita in half so it is like 2 rounds. Then cut it in wedges. You can spray it with a very quick spray of non-stick spray sprinkle with the seasonings of your choice, and then bake in a 375-400 degree oven until crispy. I hope that that help just a little. StefJNJacobs <jnjacobs wrote: it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in

the kitchen to prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time! My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn. Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...-JeannineArgue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie.

All new Mail -

Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.

Jeannine,

The ingredients are not weird, but some may be regional. Where are you

located? Here in Ohio, all of those things are easy to find; the same

is true in California where the McDougall's life. The fat free chips

are made by Guilt Free Gourmet (the unsalted variety has no fat at all

and works well dipped in salsa or hummus). Corn tortillas are

available many places in America, since Mexican food is quite popular

here.

My husband doesn't like whole garbanzo beans, but like hummus.

The meals are suggestions, you do not have to follow every day as

written, you can mix and match or just follow the recipes in the book.

Swap out a lunch or dinner that does not appeal to you for one that

does, as long as it follows the guidlines in the program.

Aly

JNJacobs wrote:

>it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the kitchen to

>prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the

>ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn

>tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet

>that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local

>market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time!

>

>My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or

>are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?

>

>So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much

>fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn.

>

>Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be

>interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...

>

>-Jeannine

>

>

>

Hi, Jeanine, You sound overwhelmed. It's okay. All this stuff sounds/seems weird at first. Just take it one meal at a time. Your husband hates garbanzo beans? No problem, you can substitute any other kind of beans like kidney, black or cannelini and mash them up and put minced things in them like onions and celery etc., for flavor. Tomato and lettuce on top makes it a "real" sandwich. I can't magine that there aren't corn tortillas where you are, though I don't know where you are, so what do I know?! Flour tortillas not only have more calories, they often have added lard. Big no-no. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so every food imaginable is easily obtainable. Here's a secret: the no-fat mayo you are looking for is utterly disgusting. Personally, when I became vegan several years back, and a McDougaller last year, I quickly stopped trying to duplicate the foods that are bad for us. Why pretend? There

is no such thing as a mock "cheez" that tastes anything like cheese, I don't care WHAT people try to tell you. Seitan never tastes like meat, but often tastes like congealed wet bread. All the fake foods are nasty. As well as highly processed for the most part. I find I am happiest when I stick to the real deal - whole foods - and cook from scratch. The hardest part is to take the time to cook. Vegan life takes thought and preparation. That said, my lunches are usually leftovers from the night before! Stick to it, Jeanine. You'll find your way in the transition and find foods and techniques that work for you and make your life shine! Jocelyn

Most every supermarket that carries tortillas carries the corn one they are the smaller kind but be careful and read the ingredient list most are loaded with oil or lard try to find the ones with the least amount of ingredients like corn , lime and water. to make fat free tortilla chips just quarter a satck of tortillas, lay them out on a non stick baking tray and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 mins. you can flavor it up with chili, garlic or onion powder thay are great. In Good Health ...Naturally Dr Scott B Raphael, ND JNJacobs <jnjacobs wrote: it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the kitchen to prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time! My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn. Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his

sandwich...-Jeannine

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

JNJacobs wrote:

> My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason?

> Or are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?

Totally suggestions. Eat whatever you want, just leave out animal

products and added fats. (And for the first 12 days, he recommends

leaving out high-fat plant foods like nuts and olives.)

Some ideas for stuff you may already eat that's good on McD:

Pasta (preferably whole-grain) with tomato sauce and no fat

Beans and rice

Big salads with fat-free dressing

Baked potatoes (top with chili or salsa)

Vegetable soups

Stuff like that.

Serene

Unfortunately, most countries outside North America do NOT carry corn tortillas. I can find a version of them here, but they are loaded with fat and taste terrible besides.Sigh... I miss my California cuisine for sure!On Nov 28, 2007, at 5:12 PM, scott raphael wrote:Most every supermarket that carries tortillas carries the corn one they are the smaller kind but be careful and read the ingredient list most are loaded with oil or lard try to find the ones with the least amount of ingredients like corn , lime and water. to make fat free tortilla chips just quarter a satck of tortillas, lay them out on a non stick baking tray and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 mins. you can flavor it up with chili, garlic or onion powder thay are great.  In Good Health ...Naturally Dr Scott B Raphael, ND JNJacobs <jnjacobs wrote:it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the kitchen to prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time! My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn. Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...-JeannineNever miss a thing. Make your homepage. 

Most stores sell both flour & corn tortillas, though they may not necessarily be next to each other. Some stores keep them together in one area and sometimes they are refrigerated and sometimes they are not. I have seen corn tortillas in the refrigerated section and the flour ones over on the end of the ethnic aisles (and vice versa too), so maybe your store does this as well. Different brands of corn tortillas might be in different places. In Salt Lake City, we have a local restaurant/supplier of corn tortillas (that are fabulous BTW-just corn, lime & salt) and other fantastic stuff like pico de gallo, vegan burritos & tamales, & frijoles de oro, just to name a few (they have lots of non-vegan stuff too, but we aren't interested in those products). They have a whole refrigerated case just to themselves, which includes the corn tortillas, nowhere near where the other corn tortillas are located (and those aren't with the flour

ones either-those are a few aisles down from the regular corn tortillas).So, go back to your store and see if this holds true-I think you might just find what you are looking for :)JNJacobs <jnjacobs wrote: So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn.

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.

You can make your own corn tortillas-it may take some practice though. A tortilla press is best, but you can probably make them without one (they just won't be as symmetrical or evenly pressed) 4 cups masa harina *1/2 tsp. Salt2-1/2 cups hot but not boiling water1 tsp lime juice *Masa harina (corn flour) can be purchased in most supermarkets. Quaker and Maseca brands are both excellent. If you are fortunate to have a specialty Mexican market nearby, you can purchase the masa dough freshly made and ready to press or roll out.If you can't find masa harina flour, you may be able to get away with using very finely ground corn meal. Directions: Place the masa harina and salt in a large bowl. Add the water and mix with your hands to make a dough that comes together in a soft ball. Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is elastic enough to hold together without cracking, about 3 minutes.If using right away, divide the dough into 18 equal portions and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. If making ahead for later use, wrap the whole ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day and then divide. To form the tortillas, place a portion of dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Press with a

tortilla press or roll out with a rolling pin into a circle 6 or 7 inches in diameter. Use your fingers to smooth any raggedy edges. Continue with the remaining portions until the dough is used up. To cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet or griddle over high heat until it begins to smoke. Peel the plastic wrap off a tortilla and place the tortilla in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Turn again, and cook until the tortilla puffs a bit but is still pliable, not crisp, about 30 seconds more. Remove and continue until all the tortillas are cooked. Serve right away as this is when they are the best. The best homemade tortillas by far!Suzanna <Suzanna2

wrote: Unfortunately, most countries outside North America do NOT carry corn tortillas. I can find a version of them here, but they are loaded with fat and taste terrible besides.Sigh... I miss my California cuisine for sure!On Nov 28, 2007, at 5:12 PM, scott raphael wrote:Most every supermarket that carries tortillas carries the corn one they are the smaller kind but be careful and read the ingredient list most are loaded with oil or lard try to find the ones with the least amount of ingredients like corn , lime and water. to make fat free tortilla chips just quarter a satck of tortillas, lay them out on a non stick baking tray and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 mins. you can flavor it up with chili, garlic or onion powder thay are great. In Good Health ...Naturally Dr Scott B Raphael, ND JNJacobs <jnjacobs (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the

kitchen to prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time! My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much fat? I was able to

find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn. Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...-JeannineNever miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Yes, I was hoping to be able to do this once, but no one can tell me how to make the masa harina from scratch... and for sure THAT is not available here!(I live in France).I have successfully made flour tortillas however as well as Pita bread. Awesome.On Nov 28, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Jenn wrote:You can make your own corn tortillas-it may take some practice though. A tortilla press is best, but you can probably make them without one (they just won't be as symmetrical or evenly pressed) 4 cups masa harina *1/2 tsp. Salt2-1/2 cups hot but not boiling water1 tsp lime juice*Masa harina (corn flour) can be purchased in most supermarkets. Quaker and Maseca brands are both excellent. If you are fortunate to have a specialty Mexican market nearby, you can purchase the masa dough freshly made and ready to press or roll out.If you can't find masa harina flour, you may be able to get away with using very finely ground corn meal.Directions: Place the masa harina and salt in a large bowl. Add the water and mix with your hands to make a dough that comes together in a soft ball. Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is elastic enough to hold together without cracking, about 3 minutes.If using right away, divide the dough into 18 equal portions and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. If making ahead for later use, wrap the whole ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day and then divide.To form the tortillas, place a portion of dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Press with a tortilla press or roll out with a rolling pin into a circle 6 or 7 inches in diameter. Use your fingers to smooth any raggedy edges. Continue with the remaining portions until the dough is used up.To cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet or griddle over high heat until it begins to smoke. Peel the plastic wrap off a tortilla and place the tortilla in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Turn again, and cook until the tortilla puffs a bit but is still pliable, not crisp, about 30 seconds more. Remove and continue until all the tortillas are cooked. Serve right away as this is when they are the best. The best homemade tortillas by far!Suzanna <Suzanna2 wrote:Unfortunately, most countries outside North America do NOT carry corn tortillas. I can find a version of them here, but they are loaded with fat and taste terrible besides.Sigh... I miss my California cuisine for sure!On Nov 28, 2007, at 5:12 PM, scott raphael wrote:Most every supermarket that carries tortillas carries the corn one they are the smaller kind but be careful and read the ingredient list most are loaded with oil or lard try to find the ones with the least amount of ingredients like corn , lime and water. to make fat free tortilla chips just quarter a satck of tortillas, lay them out on a non stick baking tray and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 mins. you can flavor it up with chili, garlic or onion powder thay are great.  In Good Health ...Naturally Dr Scott B Raphael, ND JNJacobs <jnjacobs (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the kitchen to prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time! My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn. Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...-JeannineNever miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. 

Suzanna wrote:

>

> Yes, I was hoping to be able to do this once, but no one can tell me

> how to make the masa harina from scratch... and for sure THAT is not

> available here!

> (I live in France).

Some of us here in the U.S. don't have a lot of the items available,

either, particularly in the more rural areas with just one or two (if

you're lucky) small grocers within reasonable distance. I'd have to

travel at least 40 miles to buy tofu, for example. Up until a couple of

months ago, neither brown rice nor whole wheat flour was available in

town, either (again, 40 miles away at best). While the west and east

coasts, southern border states, and all large metro areas may have an

abundance of these ingredients, they're not always readily available

elsewhere.

I can find corn tortillas in Australia but usually only as part of en enchilada kit, where you’re getting other ingredients as well. And they are not fat free.

Anna

On 29/11/07 3:42 AM, " Suzanna " <Suzanna2 wrote:

Unfortunately, most countries outside North America do NOT carry corn tortillas. I can find a version of them here, but they are loaded with fat and taste terrible besides.

Sigh... I miss my California cuisine for sure!

On Nov 28, 2007, at 5:12 PM, scott raphael wrote:

Most every supermarket that carries tortillas carries the corn one they are the smaller kind but be careful and read the ingredient list most are loaded with oil or lard try to find the ones with the least amount of ingredients like corn , lime and water. to make fat free tortilla chips just quarter a satck of tortillas, lay them out on a non stick baking tray and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 mins. you can flavor it up with chili, garlic or onion powder thay are great.

In Good Health ...Naturally

Dr Scott B Raphael, ND

JNJacobs <jnjacobs wrote:

it's the first morning of the 12 days diet and I'm in the kitchen to 

prepare our food for the day. Well... I don't have all the 

ingredients. I can't find the fat-free mayo or fat free chips or corn 

tortillas. *Sigh* This is the one aspect of eating this type of diet 

that I hate... weird ingredients. They sound great... if only my local 

market sold this stuff, I'd be eating like this all the time! 

My questions is... are the meals planned in this diet for a reason? Or 

are they just suggestions for healthy fat free meals?

So, for substitutes... What's wrong with four tortillas? Too much 

fat? I was able to find whole wheat versions in the store, but no corn. 

Also, my husband abhors garbanzo beans, so todays lunch should be 

interesting. I'm wondering what else I can put on his sandwich...

-Jeannine

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. <http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http://www./r/hs>