IndiaDivine.org

How to season stir fry's

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi mark

tamari is similar to soya sauce, but healthier, being brewed to a

traditional japanese recipe.

vege stock - i'm in new zealand, so we don't have the same brands.

someone else will have to answer that one!

braggs is available at health food stores, no idea about walmart.

and lime leaves - i've got a kaffir lime tree in my garden, you pick

just the leaves, chop them finely and put them in curries etc.

delicious if you like citrusy tastes.

please don't feel like an idiot! feel like a person who's decided to

learn about healthy choices! if everyone was open to learning about new

foods the world's health stats would be a lot better! most of what i

know, i've learned by asking 'stupid' questions.

best wishes

alice

On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:53, Mark wrote:

> Hi Alice:

>

> Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when

> it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can

> you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:

>

> tamari?

> balsamic (is that vinegar?)

> vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)

> Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)

> Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)

>

> I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things

> there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new

> to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to

> crawl before I can walk. Thank you!

>

> Mark

Mark,

I like to mix a dab of olive oil with cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder (go easy on the chili powder) and make a paste. Just toss the paste into your stir fry. This will give a zing to any boring veggie dish.

Also, if you have a Penzys near you, they are an excellent place to get spices. http://www.penzeys.com/

You can read on their website to find out all about what different spices are used for.

Elise

-------------- Original message -------------- "Mark" <markfpyles

Hi Alice:Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:tamari?balsamic (is that vinegar?)vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to crawl before I can walk. Thank you!Mark , Alice Leonard <alice wrote:>> hi mark> on our stir fries we use any of these for seasoning: soya sauce/tamari, > lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (es

pecially cilantro), garlic, vege > stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.> good luck!> alice> > On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:> > > Hi Everyone:> > > > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but > > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of > > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are > > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices > > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and > > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.> > > > Sincerely,> > > > Mark Pyles>

Hi Alice:

Thank you for the information. You're in New Zealand and you have a lime tree growing in your back yard? WOW! I think I where I can get the braggs, I didn't know that tamari was a healthier soy. I wonder if they make a low salt tamari. I not real big into salt. I like a little salt, but real high salty things and I blow up like a puffer fish! Thanks again. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Alice Leonard <alice Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 11:26:45 AMRe: Re: How to season stir fry'shi marktamari is similar to soya sauce, but healthier, being brewed to a traditional japanese recipe.vege stock - i'm in new zealand, so we don't have the same brands. someone else will have to answer that one!braggs is available at health food stores, no idea about walmart.and lime leaves - i've got a kaffir lime tree in my garden, you pick just the leaves, chop them finely and put them in curries etc. delicious if you like citrusy tastes.please don't feel like an idiot! feel like a person who's decided to learn about healthy choices! if everyone was open to learning about new foods the world's

health stats would be a lot better! most of what i know, i've learned by asking 'stupid' questions.best wishesaliceOn 11 Dec 2007, at 07:53, Mark wrote:> Hi Alice:>> Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when> it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can> you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:>> tamari?> balsamic (is that vinegar?)> vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)> Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)> Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)>> I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things> there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new> to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to>

crawl before I can walk. Thank you!>> Mark

Hi Elise:

That sounds wonderful! One question, what is cumin? And can it be found in most grocerie stores? Thank you. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa" <elisemarisa Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 11:39:10 AMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Mark,

I like to mix a dab of olive oil with cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder (go easy on the chili powder) and make a paste. Just toss the paste into your stir fry. This will give a zing to any boring veggie dish.

Also, if you have a Penzys near you, they are an excellent place to get spices. http://www.penzeys. com/

You can read on their website to find out all about what different spices are used for.

Elise

------------ -- Original message ------------ -- "Mark" <markfpyles >

Hi Alice:Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:tamari?balsamic (is that vinegar?)vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to crawl before I can walk. Thank you!Mark, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:>> hi mark> on our stir fries we use

any of these for seasoning: soya sauce/tamari, > lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (es pecially cilantro), garlic, vege > stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.> good luck!> alice> > On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:> > > Hi Everyone:> > > > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but > > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of > > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are > > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices > > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and > > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.> > > > Sincerely,> > > > Mark

Pyles>

You can buy cumin anywhere. I buy mine from the "ethnic isle" in the grocery store. For some reason, spices in the regular spice isle are $8-$10 each at Giant Eagle while spices in the ethnic isle are $1-$2.

Here's a link about cumin:

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=8203

Elise

-------------- Original message -------------- Mark Pyles <markfpyles

Hi Elise:

That sounds wonderful! One question, what is cumin? And can it be found in most grocerie stores? Thank you. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa (AT) comcast (DOT) net" <elisemarisa (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 11:39:10 AMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Mark,

Also, if you have a Penzys near you, they are an excellent place to get spices. http://www.penzeys. com/

Elise

Hi Alice:Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:tamari?balsamic (is that vinegar?)vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to crawl before I can walk. Thank you!Mark, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:>> hi mark> on our stir fries we use any of these for seasoning: so

ya sauce/tamari, > lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (es pecially cilantro), garlic, vege > stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.> good luck!> alice> > On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:> > > Hi Everyone:> > > > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but > > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of > > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are > > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices > > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and > > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.> > > > Sincerely,> > > > Mark Pyles>

Hi Elise:

Thank you for the info. Is Cumin real salty or what is the flavor like? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa" <elisemarisa Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 12:07:33 PMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

You can buy cumin anywhere. I buy mine from the "ethnic isle" in the grocery store. For some reason, spices in the regular spice isle are $8-$10 each at Giant Eagle while spices in the ethnic isle are $1-$2.

http://www.mccormic k.com/content. cfm?id=8203

Elise

------------ -- Original message ------------ -- Mark Pyles <markfpyles >

Hi Elise:

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa@ comcast.net" <elisemarisa@ comcast.net>Monday, December 10, 2007 11:39:10 AMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Mark,

Elise

Hi Alice:Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:tamari?balsamic (is that vinegar?)vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to crawl before I can walk. Thank you!Mark, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:>> hi mark> on our stir fries we use

any of these for seasoning: so ya sauce/tamari, > lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (es pecially cilantro), garlic, vege > stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.> good luck!> alice> > On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:> > > Hi Everyone:> > > > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but > > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of > > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are > > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices > > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and > > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.> > > > Sincerely,> > > > Mark Pyles>

We’ve got lot sodium soy sauce and Tamari here in Australia, so you should have it in the US. There are heaps of things I can’t find here that are available there.

Anna

--

http://eatbreathemove.blogspot.com/

On 11/12/07 6:42 AM, " Mark Pyles " <markfpyles wrote:

Hi Alice:

Thank you for the information. You're in New Zealand and you have a lime tree growing in your back yard? WOW! I think I where I can get the braggs, I didn't know that tamari was a healthier soy. I wonder if they make a low salt tamari. I not real big into salt. I like a little salt, but real high salty things and I blow up like a puffer fish! Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Cumin is generally used in Mexican foods, like chili ... But it’s not spicy like chili powder is. It’s got a really nice flavor.

Anna

--

http://eatbreathemove.blogspot.com/

On 11/12/07 7:36 AM, " Mark Pyles " <markfpyles wrote:

Hi Elise:

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Hi Coop:

Thank you. I will give it a try. Thanks. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Coop <rodstruelove Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 1:09:00 PMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Cumin is generally used in Mexican foods, like chili ... But it¢s not spicy like chili powder is. It¢s got a really nice flavor.Anna-- http://eatbreathemo ve.blogspot. com/On 11/12/07 7:36 AM, "Mark Pyles" <markfpyles > wrote:

Hi Elise: Thank you for the info. Is Cumin real salty or what is the flavor like? Thanks. Sincerely, Mark Pyles

Hi Mark and welcome!

Cumin has no salt at all and it is hard to describe the flavor. There are a lot of chili powders that are a mixture of chili peppers and cumin. I love the flavor of cumin and sprinkle it all over my popcorn along with onion powder and garlic powder. The Wal-Mart brand of chili powder has cumin and garlic and oregano in it and it is quite good.

Gina

----

Mark Pyles

12/10/2007 02:36:21 PM

Re: Re: How to season stir fry's

Hi Elise:

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa (AT) comcast (DOT) net" <elisemarisa (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 12:07:33 PMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Elise

Hi Elise:

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa@ comcast.net" <elisemarisa@ comcast.net>Monday, December 10, 2007 11:39:10 AMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Mark,

Elise

Hi Alice:Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:tamari?balsamic (is that vinegar?)vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to crawl before I can walk. Thank you!Mark, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:>> hi mark> on our stir fries we use any of these for seasoning: so ya sauce/tamari, > lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (es pecially cilantro), garlic, vege > stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.> good luck!> alice> > On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:> > > Hi Everyone:> > > > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but > > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of > > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are > > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices > > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and > > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.> > > > Sincerely,> > > > Mark Pyles>

Hi Gina:

That sounds fantastic! Nice to meet a fellow walmart shopper. It's the cheapest place to shop around here in eastern Ohio. Thanks! Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Gypsy Gina <gypsygina Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 1:30:20 PMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Hi Mark and welcome!

Cumin has no salt at all and it is hard to describe the flavor. There are a lot of chili powders that are a mixture of chili peppers and cumin. I love the flavor of cumin and sprinkle it all over my popcorn along with onion powder and garlic powder. The Wal-Mart brand of chili powder has cumin and garlic and oregano in it and it is quite good.

Gina

-- --

Mark Pyles

12/10/2007 02:36:21 PM

Hi Elise:

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

"elisemarisa@ comcast.net" <elisemarisa@ comcast.net>Monday, December 10, 2007 12:07:33 PMRe: Re: How to season stir fry's

Elise

Hi Elise:

Mark Pyles

Mark,

Elise

any of these for seasoning: so ya sauce/tamari, > lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (es pecially cilantro), garlic, vege > stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.> good luck!> alice> > On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:> > > Hi Everyone:> > > > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but > > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of > > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are > > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices > > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and > > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.> > > > Sincerely,> > > > Mark Pyles>

Hi Mark,

Real Tamari has no wheat added and is just made from soybeans. It is very rich and very very delicious. I never went back to soy sauce after trying it once. You have to read the labels though, some companies name it tamari but add wheat to it which is not a true tamari sauce. Yes, they make a low-salt Tamari but I have to buy mine at the health food store or online.

I use Braggs apple cider as well which is delicious but I have to buy mine at the health food store.

My favorite herb is rosemary to use as a seasoning.

Gina

----

Mark Pyles

12/10/2007 01:45:16 PM

Hi Alice:

Thank you for the information. You're in New Zealand and you have a lime tree growing in your back yard? WOW! I think I where I can get the braggs, I didn't know that tamari was a healthier soy. I wonder if they make a low salt tamari. I not real big into salt. I like a little salt, but real high salty things and I blow up like a puffer fish! Thanks again. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Alice Leonard <alice (AT) angelfood (DOT) co.nz> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 11:26:45 AMRe: Re: How to season stir fry'shi marktamari is similar to soya sauce, but healthier, being brewed to a traditional japanese recipe.vege stock - i'm in new zealand, so we don't have the same brands. someone else will have to answer that one!braggs is available at health food stores, no idea about walmart.and lime leaves - i've got a kaffir lime tree in my garden, you pick just the leaves, chop them finely and put them in curries etc. delicious if you like citrusy tastes.please don't feel like an idiot! feel like a person who's decided to learn about healthy choices! if everyone was open to learning about new foods the world's health stats would be a lot better! most of what i know, i've learned by asking 'stupid' questions.best wishesaliceOn 11 Dec 2007, at 07:53, Mark wrote:> Hi Alice:>> Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when> it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can> you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:>> tamari?> balsamic (is that vinegar?)> vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)> Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)> Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)>> I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things> there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new> to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to> crawl before I can walk. Thank you!>> Mark

Mark Pyles wrote:

Hi Gina:

That sounds fantastic! Nice to meet a fellow walmart shopper.

It's the cheapest place to shop around here in eastern Ohio. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Here in the Greater Cleveland area, Marcs has the best prices most of the time :-)

Aly