IndiaDivine.org

How to season stir fry's

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

hi mark

on our stir fries we use any of these for seasoning: soya sauce/tamari,

lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (especially cilantro), garlic, vege

stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.

good luck!

alice

On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:

> Hi Everyone:

>  

> I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but

> never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of

> course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are

> there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices

> and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and

> wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.

>  

> Sincerely,

>  

> Mark Pyles

Hi Alice:

Thank you for such wonderful information! I'm a real newbiphile when

it comes to spices, such as what they are, and where to buy them. Can

you tell me what the following are? I've never heard of them:

tamari?

balsamic (is that vinegar?)

vegetable stock (Do you mean such as College Inn?)

Braggs liquid aminos?(never heard of them)

Kaffir lime leaves? (never heard of them)

I do all my shopping at walmart. Would I be able to find those things

there? Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to this. I'm new

to this and want to learn all I can, but I guess I have to learn to

crawl before I can walk. Thank you!

Mark

, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:

>

> hi mark

> on our stir fries we use any of these for seasoning: soya

sauce/tamari,

> lemon juice, balsamic, fresh herbs (especially cilantro), garlic,

vege

> stock, braggs liquid aminos, chilli, ginger, kaffir lime leaves.

> good luck!

> alice

>

> On 11 Dec 2007, at 07:25, Mark Pyles wrote:

>

> > Hi Everyone:

> >  

> > I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but

> > never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of

> > course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are

> > there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to

spices

> > and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products

and

> > wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.

> >  

> > Sincerely,

> >  

> > Mark Pyles

>

Sometimes I just use a bit of low-sodium soy sauce and some garlic. Other times I make a ‘sauce’ with some vegetable stock, garlic and ginger, soy sauce, and thickened with a bit of cornstarch in water. Even my omnivore husband likes that! :)

On 11/12/07 5:25 AM, " Mark Pyles " <markfpyles wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Hi Coop:

How much vegetable stock , garlic, ginger and soy sauce do you use? Or is it season to taste? I don't have a clue of how much to put in. With my luck I put too much of one or the other and ruin the whole thing. Thanks. Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Coop <rodstruelove Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 12:37:25 PMRe: How to season stir fry's

Sometimes I just use a bit of low-sodium soy sauce and some garlic. Other times I make a ¡sauce¢ with some vegetable stock, garlic and ginger, soy sauce, and thickened with a bit of cornstarch in water. Even my omnivore husband likes that! :)On 11/12/07 5:25 AM, "Mark Pyles" <markfpyles > wrote:

Hi Everyone: I'm new to this list and I love stir fry vegetables, but never knew how to eat them before except with lots of butter, of course the thought of that makes me cringe now, but are there different ways to make stir frys taste great? I'm new to spices and how to flavor foods with different non animal based products and wanted to get some suggestions from the group. Thank you. Sincerely, Mark Pyles

You really can’t ruin it ... I don’t measure, but if it’s a big stir fry for both my hubby and me, I’d start with maybe 1-1/2 cups of vegetable stock, then I add a spoonfull each of fresh ginger and garlic (minced kind in a jar) and maybe half a cup of soy sauce. Mix a spoonful or 2 of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and blend well, then when your sauce is about to boil just stir that in and keep stirring to thicken it.

Anna

--

http://eatbreathemove.blogspot.com/

On 11/12/07 7:46 AM, " Mark Pyles " <markfpyles wrote:

Hi Coop:

How much vegetable stock , garlic, ginger and soy sauce do you use? Or is it season to taste? I don't have a clue of how much to put in. With my luck I put too much of one or the other and ruin the whole thing. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Thank you Coop, that sounds really great. I will give that a try! Sincerely,

Mark Pyles

Coop <rodstruelove Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 1:11:06 PMRe: How to season stir fry's

You really can¢t ruin it ... I don¢t measure, but if it¢s a big stir fry for both my hubby and me, I¢d start with maybe 1-1/2 cups of vegetable stock, then I add a spoonfull each of fresh ginger and garlic (minced kind in a jar) and maybe half a cup of soy sauce. Mix a spoonful or 2 of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and blend well, then when your sauce is about to boil just stir that in and keep stirring to thicken it.Anna-- http://eatbreathemo ve.blogspot. com/On 11/12/07 7:46 AM, "Mark Pyles" <markfpyles > wrote:

Hi Coop: How much vegetable stock , garlic, ginger and soy sauce do you use? Or is it season to taste? I don't have a clue of how much to put in. With my luck I put too much of one or the other and ruin the whole thing. Thanks. Sincerely, Mark Pyles