IndiaDivine.org

Freezing Kale

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All,

This is my first time posting, and would like to know more about freezing Kale, i am doing this to make green smoothies but i need to know if it's ok to do this without destroying it??

thank you,

Danita

"The More You Know, The Less You Need"

I've frozen kale in the past without much issue at all. Just wash and cut, then put into tupperware and put it in the freezer. Then again, I was using it for things like stir-frys and not smoothies.HAH <GaiaHemp wrote: Hi All, This is my first time posting, and would like to know more about freezing Kale,

i am doing this to make green smoothies but i need to know if it's ok to do this without destroying it?? thank you, Danita "The More You Know, The Less You Need"

Yeah, i need to know about it for smoothies since thats the only way

i've been consuming it lately:)

thanks!

, cacophonous_joy

<cacophonous_joy wrote:

>

> I've frozen kale in the past without much issue at all. Just wash and

cut, then put into tupperware and put it in the freezer. Then again, I

was using it for things like stir-frys and not smoothies.

>

> HAH <GaiaHemp wrote: Hi All,

>

> This is my first time posting, and would like to know more about

freezing Kale, i am doing this to make green smoothies but i need to

know if it's ok to do this without destroying it??

>

> thank you,

> Danita

> " The More You Know, The Less You Need "

>

All greens do well for a smoothie after being frozen .I wash and shake out as much water as possible then put into a zip lock bag.This way the greens do not turn bad .Too expensive to toss.

Janie

----

SolarSiStar

12/14/2007 10:50:51 PM

Re: Freezing Kale

Yeah, i need to know about it for smoothies since thats the only way i've been consuming it lately:)thanks! , cacophonous_joy <cacophonous_joy wrote:>> I've frozen kale in the past without much issue at all. Just wash and cut, then put into tupperware and put it in the freezer. Then again, I was using it for things like stir-frys and not smoothies.> > HAH <GaiaHemp wrote: Hi All,> > This is my first time posting, and would like to know more about freezing Kale, i am doing this to make green smoothies but i need to know if it's ok to do this without destroying it??> > thank you, > Danita> "The More You Know, The Less You Need">

>> Yeah, i need to know about it [freezing kale] for smoothies since thats the only way i've been consuming it lately:) <<I almost always freeze my kale for smoothies. I actually prefer the finished result this way. I wash all my kale at once and strip away the edible parts, placing them in roughly torn pieces onto kitchen towels. I cram as much as possible into a zippered sandwich bag (this comes out to about 3c "chopped" raw kale), and each one of those is enough for one smoothie for me (I make big ones in a Vitamix).I do let the bulk of the water drip onto the towels, but I don't bother to dry the leaves or anything. I add some water and/or soymilk to my smoothies anyway, and a few extra ice crystals aren't going to hurt anything.My plan is to grow as much kale (and other greens) as possible in my garden this year and freeze them (with extra freezer protection) in my deep/chest freezer for use all year.Hope this

helps,Colleen

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Pray tell me more about kale smoothies. I have enjoyed fruit smoothies since the 70s, but gave them up about 5 years ago to eat lower on the glycemic index. What do you put in these drinks that makes them so popular on this list??

Smiles,

janet

-

Colleen Davis

Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:44 AM

>> Yeah, i need to know about it [freezing kale] for smoothies since thats the only way i've been consuming it lately:) <<I almost always freeze my kale for smoothies. I actually prefer the finished result this way. I wash all my kale at once and strip away the edible parts, placing them in roughly torn pieces onto kitchen towels. I cram as much as possible into a zippered sandwich bag (this comes out to about 3c "chopped" raw kale), and each one of those is enough for one smoothie for me (I make big ones in a Vitamix).I do let the bulk of the water drip onto the towels, but I don't bother to dry the leaves or anything. I add some water and/or soymilk to my smoothies anyway, and a few extra ice crystals aren't going to hurt anything.My plan is to grow as much kale (and other greens) as possible in my garden this year and freeze them (with extra freezer protection) in my deep/chest freezer for use all year.Hope this helps,Colleen

Janet,

I think Jani posted this a bit ago... i think its the best " formula " yet.

-keda

Green Smoothie Formula

3 handfuls of greens (see below for sample list of ones I enjoy)

1 handful of your choice of more greens or root, stalk of flower vegetables (see below for sample list of ones I enjoy)

1 or 2 tsp Ground Flax Seed

A few nuts if desired (any raw nut will do)

Water up to half the level of greens in the blender

2 to 4 fruit depending on personal taste or capacity of blender (see below for sample list of ones I enjoy)

Remember that variety here can be best. You do not have to use one green or one vegetable.

My blender is just large enough to handle 4 handfuls of greens and 3 fruit, yielding 5 to 6 cups of green smoothie.

If you use any root, stalk or flower vegetables, chop them into small pieces so that they are easier to blend. Remove stems if desired from items such as broccoli for example, as this can reduce the amount of pulp. If you find your smoothie is difficult to drink because of a thick layer of pulp on top and juice below, then it was either not blended enough, or had too much fibrous matter. Removing these excess stems can really make a huge difference.

If you use fruit like apples, pears, or other somewhat firm fruits, chop them into pieces that your blender can handle easily. I usually cut an apple into 8 slices for example.

Place greens and any optional veggies in the blender and fill halfway up the mixture with water. Blend until all is mixed together. At this point the mixture will have reduced in size giving you room to add the fruit. Add each fruit one at a time until all is mixed together. Keep blending until all has blended as smooth as your blender will allow. Serve and enjoy!

Here's a shopping tip. Look for ethinic markets in your area, especially oriental ones. Many of them have a fresh produce section, and you can get a wide variety of greens there that you will not find at any other store. Try them, I like experimenting with them. One of my favorites goes by the name Shanghai Hai Mieu. Also, baby bok choy is good too. It is much, much smaller than the gigantic bok choy you will find at the regular supermarket.

Sample Greens

Lettuce (any variety)

Cabbage (any variety)

Spinach (baby or mature)

Parsley

Bok Choy

Kale

Mustard Greens

Collard Greens

Turnip Greens

Premix Bags like ColeSlaw Mix, Baby Spring Mix. Just make sure they are raw and organic

Any others you would like to try that I have not listed

Sample Root, Stalk and Flower Vegetables

Carrot

Celery

Green Onion

Broccoli

Cucumber (technically a fruit, but put it here)

Peppers (technically a fruit, but put it here)

Avocado (technically a fruit, but put it here)

Any others you would like to try. Savoriness or nutritional value is the key here.

Sample Fruits

Banana

Apple

Pear

Strawberry (3 or 4)

Orange (peeled and seeds removed)

Blueberry (1/2 to 1 cup)

Raspberry (1/2 to 1 cup)

Blackberry (1/2 to 1 cup)

Watermelon (not a whole one, but a cup or so worth)

Any other fruit you would like to try. Sweetness is the key here.

On Dec 15, 2007 11:41 AM, Janet Coe Hammond <janetcoe wrote:

Pray tell me more about kale smoothies. I have enjoyed fruit smoothies since the 70s, but gave them up about 5 years ago to eat lower on the glycemic index. What do you put in these drinks that makes them so popular on this list??

Smiles,

janet

-

Colleen Davis

>> Yeah, i need to know about it [freezing kale] for smoothies since thats the only way i've been consuming it lately:) <<I almost always freeze my kale for smoothies. I actually prefer the finished result this way. I wash all my kale at once and strip away the edible parts, placing them in roughly torn pieces onto kitchen towels. I cram as much as possible into a zippered sandwich bag (this comes out to about 3c " chopped " raw kale), and each one of those is enough for one smoothie for me (I make big ones in a Vitamix).

I do let the bulk of the water drip onto the towels, but I don't bother to dry the leaves or anything. I add some water and/or soymilk to my smoothies anyway, and a few extra ice crystals aren't going to hurt anything.

My plan is to grow as much kale (and other greens) as possible in my garden this year and freeze them (with extra freezer protection) in my deep/chest freezer for use all year.Hope this helps,Colleen

Thank you, Keda!!

-

keda maru

Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:07 AM

Re: Re: Freezing Kale

Janet,

I think Jani posted this a bit ago... i think its the best "formula" yet.

-keda

Green Smoothie Formula

3 handfuls of greens (see below for sample list of ones I enjoy)

1 handful of your choice of more greens or root, stalk of flower vegetables (see below for sample list of ones I enjoy)

1 or 2 tsp Ground Flax Seed

A few nuts if desired (any raw nut will do)

Water up to half the level of greens in the blender

2 to 4 fruit depending on personal taste or capacity of blender (see below for sample list of ones I enjoy)

Remember that variety here can be best. You do not have to use one green or one vegetable.

My blender is just large enough to handle 4 handfuls of greens and 3 fruit, yielding 5 to 6 cups of green smoothie.

If you use any root, stalk or flower vegetables, chop them into small pieces so that they are easier to blend. Remove stems if desired from items such as broccoli for example, as this can reduce the amount of pulp. If you find your smoothie is difficult to drink because of a thick layer of pulp on top and juice below, then it was either not blended enough, or had too much fibrous matter. Removing these excess stems can really make a huge difference.

If you use fruit like apples, pears, or other somewhat firm fruits, chop them into pieces that your blender can handle easily. I usually cut an apple into 8 slices for example.

Place greens and any optional veggies in the blender and fill halfway up the mixture with water. Blend until all is mixed together. At this point the mixture will have reduced in size giving you room to add the fruit. Add each fruit one at a time until all is mixed together. Keep blending until all has blended as smooth as your blender will allow. Serve and enjoy!

Here's a shopping tip. Look for ethinic markets in your area, especially oriental ones. Many of them have a fresh produce section, and you can get a wide variety of greens there that you will not find at any other store. Try them, I like experimenting with them. One of my favorites goes by the name Shanghai Hai Mieu. Also, baby bok choy is good too. It is much, much smaller than the gigantic bok choy you will find at the regular supermarket.

Sample Greens

Lettuce (any variety)

Cabbage (any variety)

Spinach (baby or mature)

Parsley

Bok Choy

Kale

Mustard Greens

Collard Greens

Turnip Greens

Premix Bags like ColeSlaw Mix, Baby Spring Mix. Just make sure they are raw and organic

Any others you would like to try that I have not listed

Sample Root, Stalk and Flower Vegetables

Carrot

Celery

Green Onion

Broccoli

Cucumber (technically a fruit, but put it here)

Peppers (technically a fruit, but put it here)

Avocado (technically a fruit, but put it here)

Any others you would like to try. Savoriness or nutritional value is the key here.

Sample Fruits

Banana

Apple

Pear

Strawberry (3 or 4)

Orange (peeled and seeds removed)

Blueberry (1/2 to 1 cup)

Raspberry (1/2 to 1 cup)

Blackberry (1/2 to 1 cup)

Watermelon (not a whole one, but a cup or so worth)

Any other fruit you would like to try. Sweetness is the key here.

On Dec 15, 2007 11:41 AM, Janet Coe Hammond <janetcoe (AT) cox (DOT) net> wrote:

Smiles,

janet

-

Colleen Davis

>> Yeah, i need to know about it [freezing kale] for smoothies since thats the only way i've been consuming it lately:) <<I almost always freeze my kale for smoothies. I actually prefer the finished result this way. I wash all my kale at once and strip away the edible parts, placing them in roughly torn pieces onto kitchen towels. I cram as much as possible into a zippered sandwich bag (this comes out to about 3c "chopped" raw kale), and each one of those is enough for one smoothie for me (I make big ones in a Vitamix). I do let the bulk of the water drip onto the towels, but I don't bother to dry the leaves or anything. I add some water and/or soymilk to my smoothies anyway, and a few extra ice crystals aren't going to hurt anything. My plan is to grow as much kale (and other greens) as possible in my garden this year and freeze them (with extra freezer protection) in my deep/chest freezer for use all year.Hope this helps,Colleen

I grow several varieties of kale every summer, and freeze

whatever is left in the garden in the late Fall (I’m in northern Virginia; we can usually

keep growing through mid-November).

I tend to wash the kale and pull out the stems before

freezing, if I plan to use them in smoothies or soups. It just makes more room

in the freezer.

Anne-Marie

Great, thanks! I've just finished reading " Green for Life " by

Victoria Boutenko and ordered a Vita Mix 6 days, so i'm happy to know

its ok bc after watching episode#8 on " Supercharge Me " i tried a kale

& banana smoothie and now i'm hooked! I may be growing Kale next

season, as well, with all the other things i grow in my garden now~

here's the link to that show below:

http://superchargeme.com/2007/10/24/episode-8-jennas-healthy-

kitchen-green-smoothie/

, " JWMann " <JWMann wrote:

>

> All greens do well for a smoothie after being frozen .I wash and

shake out

> as much water as possible then put into a zip lock bag.This way

the greens

> do not turn bad .Too expensive to toss.

> Janie

>

> ----

>

> SolarSiStar

> 12/14/2007 10:50:51 PM

>

> Re: Freezing Kale

>

> Yeah, i need to know about it for smoothies since thats the only

way

> i've been consuming it lately:)

>

> thanks!

>

> , cacophonous_joy

> <cacophonous_joy@> wrote:

> >

> > I've frozen kale in the past without much issue at all. Just wash

and

> cut, then put into tupperware and put it in the freezer. Then

again, I

> was using it for things like stir-frys and not smoothies.

> >

> > HAH <GaiaHemp@> wrote: Hi All,

> >

> > This is my first time posting, and would like to know more about

> freezing Kale, i am doing this to make green smoothies but i need

to

> know if it's ok to do this without destroying it??

> >

> > thank you,

> > Danita

> > " The More You Know, The Less You Need "

> >

>