IndiaDivine.org

Fabulous Fake-it Bean Soup!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I made this soup yesterday, when we were cleaning out the back room where my pantry shelves are, and I realized I had like 20+ bags of beans! I got my empty mason jars out, and made up quart size jars of bean mixes. I decided to use some of it to make soup to have on hand. Here's what I did:

I took three cups of beans, added four quarts of water, and put the beans on to boil. It took a while for the beans to soften--they weren't the freshest, I guess.

Once the beans were mostly cooked, I dumped in a large can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. I added a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder, three sodium free all natural vegetarian bouillon cubes, and a few dashes of white pepper and tabasco sauce. I like things with a little "zip" to them!

I threw in a bag of frozen chopped spinach, and brought the pot to a boil again, then turned it down to simmer. I did not time anything, as I was really busy yesterday.

After it simmered for a while, I tested it--delicious! You can, of course, vary the spices, vegetables, or add in leftover veggies, brown rice, or pasta when you reheat the soup to serve. I had several quarts of soup to store in my freezer, and I'm happy! Thought I'd share. MarilynSee AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Janet, is it? :) Your soup has quite a kick! Sounds wonderful! If you can find some time to post the recipe for those muffins, I'd love to have it! I eat soy, dairy, egg, gluten free, and lowfat. These sound perfect! MarilynSee AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

My End-of-the-Year-Clean-Out-the-Pantry Soup had a whole onion, butternut, and some once fresh parsley, with a jalapeño (with some seeds & membrane left in for a kick), two cans diced tomatoes, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and ground pepper & garlic thrown in with the beans (neither measure nor time most meals). Also delish...and plenty left over for drop-in New Year guests!! I also made some of my high protein and soy-, nut-, glue tin-free cranberry-orange vegan muffins with no added oil or sugar. Pretty hard core, but they hit the spot when toasted for breakfast and keep me going until lunch. They are my "get me on my bike on my way to work without a whimper" breakfast!!

Happy New Year!!

-

sahmomof8

Cc: Adventistmothers

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:30 AM

Fabulous Fake-it Bean Soup!

I made this soup yesterday, when we were cleaning out the back room where my pantry shelves are, and I realized I had like 20+ bags of beans! I got my empty mason jars out, and made up quart size jars of bean mixes. I decided to use some of it to make soup to have on hand. Here's what I did:

I took three cups of beans, added four quarts of water, and put the beans on to boil. It took a while for the beans to soften--they weren't the freshest, I guess.

Once the beans were mostly cooked, I dumped in a large can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. I added a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder, three sodium free all natural vegetarian bouillon cubes, and a few dashes of white pepper and tabasco sauce. I like things with a little "zip" to them!

I threw in a bag of frozen chopped spinach, and brought the pot to a boil again, then turned it down to simmer. I did not time anything, as I was really busy yesterday.

After it simmered for a while, I tested it--delicious! You can, of course, vary the spices, vegetables, or add in leftover veggies, brown rice, or pasta when you reheat the soup to serve. I had several quarts of soup to store in my freezer, and I'm happy! Thought I'd share. Marilyn

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Sure, Marilyn - you're obviously a woman of courage; these are pretty tart! I based it on a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance"

Wisk together:

2 cups of quinoa flour (or a mix of 1/4 cup chickpea flour and 1 3/4 C of your fav nongluten flour mix)

1 cup of ground flax seed

1 tbs baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 ginger & nutmeg, 1/4 allspice, 1/8 cloves

Gently fold in:

1 can of pumpkin

The now empty pumpkin can full of orange juice (as fresh as possible) with some of the zest

Then fold in:

A bag of fresh cranberries (I try to corner the market each TG and freeze them) or dried

I fill 8 large muffin tins and bake for about 35 minutes at 350. I then turn off the oven and leave them until the oven is cool. I loosen them around the edges with a knife and then let them cool all the way (or I end up just pulling the tops off due to their moistness). I leave one out each night to thaw, but freeze the others. I cut it in 1/2, toast it, and eat it warm for breakfast. I love them and hope you do too!!

Janet

-

sahmomof8

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:46 AM

Re: Fabulous Fake-it Bean Soup!

Janet, is it? :) Your soup has quite a kick! Sounds wonderful! If you can find some time to post the recipe for those muffins, I'd love to have it! I eat soy, dairy, egg, gluten free, and lowfat. These sound perfect! Marilyn

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.