IndiaDivine.org

seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,I made my first batch of seitan last week. I am a new vegan, and I can't say I was impressed with the rubbery texture of the seitan. I used the VWG and my vegetable broth was wonderful and rich in flavor. I used the seitan in making a traditional Mexican dish that I grew up with called "carne guisada" which is Mexican-style beef tips in a spicy gravy. I just substituted the seitan. I am still trying to adjust my taste buds to some of the vegan products and recipes, and I know it's probably a mind set. However, just days after I made my batch of boiled seitan, I discovered a new way to cook seitan not boiling it. After some research, I discovered that this new method is making the rounds in a big way all across the vegan-related internet. Instead of

cutting up the seitan dough and boiling it, you shape it into a roll, wrap it in foil, and bake it for 90 minutes. If you do a google search on "seitan o'greatness" you will find this mentioned in blog after vegan blog. It originated at the Post Punk Kitchen forum, and you can find directions and step-by-step pictures there:http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15959 & p=1Now THIS is a seitan I can get used to. I much prefer the texture to that of boiled seitan. It slices up well and has a better flavor, I think. I made this version and cut it up into chunks, sauteed it with onions and peppers and garlic with a little basil and chopped tomatoes and served it over soybean pasta. OMG, it was wonderful.Have a great day!Rose in San

Antonio

Actually, it's not a new method but an old one, published by Joanne Stepaniak in Vegan Vittles in the mid-90's. I'm not sure that she was even the first to do it, but she's the first published author that I know of. It's the same method I use in the veggeroni recipe I mentioned yesterday. The PPK forums revived the recipe but didn't invent it.

Boiled seitan is really temperamental. I've made it one week and gotten a nice, firm seitan, and then the next week, doing the same thing, it comes out rubbery and spongy. I've heard that it's important to simmer it rather than boil it, so perhaps minor differences in heat are to blame. And then, people are different. I like it firm and slightly hard but my husband likes it spongy. Getting it to fit everyone's taste is totally impossible!

Susan

-

Rose Contreras

Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:39 AM

Hi,I made my first batch of seitan last week. I am a new vegan, and I can't say I was impressed with the rubbery texture of the seitan. I used the VWG and my vegetable broth was wonderful and rich in flavor. I used the seitan in making a traditional Mexican dish that I grew up with called "carne guisada" which is Mexican-style beef tips in a spicy gravy. I just substituted the seitan. I am still trying to adjust my taste buds to some of the vegan products and recipes, and I know it's probably a mind set. However, just days after I made my batch of boiled seitan, I discovered a new way to cook seitan not boiling it. After some research, I discovered that this new method is making the rounds in a big way all across the vegan-related internet. Instead of cutting up the seitan dough and boiling it, you shape it into a roll, wrap it in foil, and bake it for 90 minutes. If you do a google search on "seitan o'greatness" you will find this mentioned in blog after vegan blog. It originated at the Post Punk Kitchen forum, and you can find directions and step-by-step pictures there:http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15959 & p=1Now THIS is a seitan I can get used to. I much prefer the texture to that of boiled seitan. It slices up well and has a better flavor, I think. I made this version and cut it up into chunks, sauteed it with onions and peppers and garlic with a little basil and chopped tomatoes and served it over soybean pasta. OMG, it was wonderful.Have a great day!Rose in San Antonio

Susan wrote:

" I've heard that it's important to simmer it rather than boil it, so

perhaps minor differences in heat are to blame. "

This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top boiling. I don't

get rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since the temp is low and constant.

God's Peace,

Gayle

" Children need models rather than critics. " ~ Joseph Joubert (1754 - 1824)

Rose, did you try your baked seitan in the carne guisada? When you get it right, please post the recipe!!

Janet

-

Rose Contreras

Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:39 AM

Hi,I made my first batch of seitan last week. I am a new vegan, and I can't say I was impressed with the rubbery texture of the seitan. I used the VWG and my vegetable broth was wonderful and rich in flavor. I used the seitan in making a traditional Mexican dish that I grew up with called "carne guisada" which is Mexican-style beef tips in a spicy gravy. I just substituted the seitan. I am still trying to adjust my taste buds to some of the vegan products and recipes, and I know it's probably a mind set. However, just days after I made my batch of boiled seitan, I discovered a new way to cook seitan not boiling it. After some research, I discovered that this new method is making the rounds in a big way all across the vegan-related internet. Instead of cutting up the seitan dough and boiling it, you shape it into a roll, wrap it in foil, and bake it for 90 minutes. If you do a google search on "seitan o'greatness" you will find this mentioned in blog after vegan blog. It originated at the Post Punk Kitchen forum, and you can find directions and step-by-step pictures there:http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15959 & p=1Now THIS is a seitan I can get used to. I much prefer the texture to that of boiled seitan. It slices up well and has a better flavor, I think. I made this version and cut it up into chunks, sauteed it with onions and peppers and garlic with a little basil and chopped tomatoes and served it over soybean pasta. OMG, it was wonderful.Have a great day!Rose in San Antonio

> This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top

> boiling. I don't get rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since

> the temp is low and constant.

That's a great idea, Gayle. I'll have to give it a try.

Susan

Can you please tell me what seitan is?Susan Voisin <susan wrote: > This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top > boiling. I don't get rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since > the temp is low and constant.That's a great idea, Gayle. I'll have to give it a try.Susan

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Chris, it is basically wheat gluten (the protein part of wheat flour separated from the starch and bran) that is simmered in broth to make a meat substitute. Though wheat gluten has been used in Asian cooking for ages, seitan is a relatively new way of cooking it, popularized by macrobiotics in the last half of the 20th century.

Hope that explains it.

Susan

-

chris toth

Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:57 PM

Re: seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs

Can you please tell me what seitan is?Susan Voisin <susan wrote:

> This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top > boiling. I don't get rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since > the temp is low and constant.That's a great idea, Gayle. I'll have to give it a try.Susan

Thank you very much! Happy New YearSusan Voisin <susan wrote: Chris, it is basically wheat gluten (the protein part of wheat flour separated from the starch and bran) that is simmered in broth to make a meat substitute. Though wheat gluten has been used in Asian cooking for ages, seitan is a relatively new way of cooking it, popularized by macrobiotics in the last half of the 20th century. Hope that explains it. Susan - chris toth Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:57 PM Re: seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs Can you please tell me what seitan is?Susan Voisin <susan (AT) fatfreevegan (DOT) com> wrote: > This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top > boiling. I don't get

rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since > the temp is low and constant.That's a great idea, Gayle. I'll have to give it a try.Susan Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE PLAN?????chris toth <aquakut1 wrote: Thank you very much! Happy New YearSusan Voisin <susan (AT) fatfreevegan (DOT) com> wrote: Chris, it is basically wheat gluten (the protein part of wheat flour separated from the starch and bran) that is simmered in broth to make a meat substitute. Though wheat gluten

has been used in Asian cooking for ages, seitan is a relatively new way of cooking it, popularized by macrobiotics in the last half of the 20th century. Hope that explains it. Susan - chris toth Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:57 PM Re: seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs Can you please tell me what seitan is?Susan Voisin

<susan (AT) fatfreevegan (DOT) com> wrote: > This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top > boiling. I don't get rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since > the temp is low and constant.That's a great idea, Gayle. I'll have to give it a try.Susan Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

susanna belch <susannabelch wrote: HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE PLAN?????chris toth <aquakut1 > wrote: Thank you very much! Happy New YearSusan Voisin <susan (AT) fatfreevegan (DOT) com> wrote: Chris, it is

basically wheat gluten (the protein part of wheat flour separated from the starch and bran) that is simmered in broth to make a meat substitute. Though wheat gluten has been used in Asian cooking for ages, seitan is a relatively new way of cooking it, popularized by macrobiotics in the last half of the 20th century. Hope that explains it. Susan - chris toth Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:57 PM Re: seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs Can you please tell me what seitan is?Susan Voisin <susan (AT) fatfreevegan (DOT) com> wrote: > This is exactly why I use the crock pot instead of stove top > boiling. I don't get rubbery seitan when I use the crock pot since > the temp is low and constant.That's a great idea, Gayle. I'll have to give it a try.Susan Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

, susanna belch <susannabelch

wrote:

>

> HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY

COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE PLAN?????

I don't see any listed on his safe foods list. I know that Sunshine

Burgers are both gluten and soy free and I occasionally get them. They

don't contain any ingredients that Dr. McDougall says one should never

have, but they are rich (fat-wise) due to the seeds.

It sure is hard for us gluten intolerant folk to listen to all this

talk about seitan (whimper).

hathor42 wrote:

> , susanna belch <susannabelch

>wrote:

>

>

>>HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY

>>

>>

>COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE PLAN?????

>

>I don't see any listed on his safe foods list. I know that Sunshine

>Burgers are both gluten and soy free and I occasionally get them. They

>don't contain any ingredients that Dr. McDougall says one should never

>have, but they are rich (fat-wise) due to the seeds.

>

>It sure is hard for us gluten intolerant folk to listen to all this

>talk about seitan (whimper).

>

>

>

How about making your own burgers using black beans and brown rice as the base?

I would add in water sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, and maybe some corn.

Top with a nice salsa.

For those who have issues with wheat, not gluten, you can also make a nice

burger with oats instead of brown rice.

Aly

I ALSO HAVE A RICE AND OAT ALLERGY ITS VERY HARD TO FIND QUICK FOODS DUE TIO MANY FOOD ALLERGIES, THANKS I WILL HAVE TO MAKE THEM I GUESS.Alyza <alyzas wrote: hathor42 wrote:> , susanna belch <susannabelch >wrote:> >>>HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY >> >>>COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE

PLAN?????>>I don't see any listed on his safe foods list. I know that Sunshine >Burgers are both gluten and soy free and I occasionally get them. They >don't contain any ingredients that Dr. McDougall says one should never >have, but they are rich (fat-wise) due to the seeds.>>It sure is hard for us gluten intolerant folk to listen to all this >talk about seitan (whimper).>> >How about making your own burgers using black beans and brown rice as the base? I would add in water sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, and maybe some corn. Top with a nice salsa.For those who have issues with wheat, not gluten, you can also make a nice burger with oats instead of brown rice. Aly

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Susanna,

Can you do quinowa? It has all 8 EAAs. I use it for baking and it works well. I bet it would be a good mix for bean burgers. I also saw some oatmeal advertised in a magazine produced for those with gluten allergies that was gluten-free.

janet

-

susanna belch

Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:14 PM

Re: Re: seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs

I ALSO HAVE A RICE AND OAT ALLERGY ITS VERY HARD TO FIND QUICK FOODS DUE TIO MANY FOOD ALLERGIES, THANKS I WILL HAVE TO MAKE THEM I GUESS.Alyza <alyzas (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

hathor42 wrote:> , susanna belch <susannabelch >wrote:> >>>HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY >> >>>COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE PLAN?????>>I don't see any listed on his safe foods list. I know that Sunshine >Burgers are both gluten and soy free and I occasionally get them. They >don't contain any ingredients that Dr. McDougall says one should never >have, but they are rich (fat-wise) due to the seeds.>>It sure is hard for us gluten intolerant folk to listen to all this >talk about seitan (whimper).>> >How about making your own burgers using black beans and brown rice as the base? I would add in water sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, and maybe some corn. Top with a nice salsa.For those who have issues with wheat, not gluten, you can also make a nice burger with oats instead of brown rice. Aly

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

YES I CAN USE QUIONNE, BUT I WAS DREAMING OF A QUICK FIX I GUESS BUT I AM NOT GLUTEN INTOLETRANT BUT I HAVE A WHEAT ALLERGY GO FIGURE???Janet Coe Hammond <janetcoe wrote: Susanna, Can you do quinowa? It has all 8 EAAs. I use it for baking and it works well. I bet it would be a good mix for bean burgers. I also saw some oatmeal advertised in a magazine produced for those with gluten allergies that was

gluten-free. janet - susanna belch Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:14 PM Re: Re: seitan o'greatness - new method burning up the blogs I ALSO HAVE A RICE AND OAT ALLERGY ITS VERY HARD TO FIND QUICK FOODS DUE TIO MANY FOOD ALLERGIES,

THANKS I WILL HAVE TO MAKE THEM I GUESS.Alyza <alyzas (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote: hathor42 wrote:> , susanna belch <susannabelch >wrote:> >>>HA EVERYONE!!! CALLING ALL MCDOUGHALLERS FOR NH IS THERE ANY >> >>>COMERCIALLY WHEATFREE VEGIE BURGERS ON THE PLAN?????>>I don't see any listed on his safe foods list. I know that Sunshine >Burgers are both gluten and soy free and I occasionally get them. They >don't contain any ingredients that Dr. McDougall says one should never >have, but they are rich (fat-wise) due to the seeds.>>It sure is hard for us gluten intolerant folk to listen to all

this >talk about seitan (whimper).>> >How about making your own burgers using black beans and brown rice as the base? I would add in water sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, and maybe some corn. Top with a nice salsa.For those who have issues with wheat, not gluten, you can also make a nice burger with oats instead of brown rice. Aly Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.