IndiaDivine.org

Newby

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sue,I'm a fan of Fuhrman's eating plan.   yes, too much nuts, seeds and avocados will make you gain weight.  If you are trying to lose weight, he recommends only 1 oz per day of nuts (about a small handful?), and 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseeds so that's not much at all, and it's good for your heart, especially if you have irregular heartbeats.   I don't think he recommends much avocado except occasionally, when you are trying to lose weight.  Then when you are at your ideal weight, you can eat 2-4 oz of nuts/avocados depending on how much you exercise.   if you eat his recipes that call for nuts, then you have to take those into account in your daily rations.-barbOn Jan 11, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Sue Demkowicz wrote:Good morning everyone,I have been following Dr. McDougall for about 10 years on and off. Unfortunately, most of that time has been off to plan. I am currently back, having just finished reading Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselystn. I am also intrigued by Dr. Fuhrman's regimen, but I'm concerned with the fat content of the nuts, seeds and avocados that he allows. I sure do like the taste though, his recipes are quite good. Anyone have any comments on Dr. Furhman's plan? I would just be interested in hearing your thoughts.This has probably been around before, but I have just eaten the best and easiest breakfast ever...this one from Ann Esselstyn:In a bowl, add one sliced banana. Add 1 cup of old fashioned oats on top (not quick cooking or instant), add raisins or currants if you wish and top with apple juice to cover the oats. Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds and enjoy. This makes a huge amount and it packs well for me to bring to work and nuke when I get there. I hope everyone enjoys their weekends. 

, Darlene Jones <drljn9

wrote:

>

> Hi I will check for you. I was talking to a gentleman that acquired

cancer from standing in front of a microwave watching his food. When

i went to my doctor he told me that even if I use the microwave that

never, ever, ever, use plastic. It seeps into the food that you are

using....Darlene

I don't know how anyone could know how they acquired cancer unless

they were in contact with a known carcinigen. (OK, lung cancer in a

long term smoker is probably from smoking, but even then, one doesn't

know for sure, since nonsmokers get lung cancer too). I've heard

about not using plastic wrap. It doesn't work right in the microwave

anyway.

I'm unclear if the argument is that microwaves leak out, or that the

food is altered.

I've looked at the cites that other people have provided, but these

aren't studies showing cancer. I think there are worse things to

worry about or at least with more scientific basis: aluminum cookware

& antiperspirants (or food touching aluminum foil); veggies & fruits

grown with fluoridated water or sprayed with pesticides containing

fluoride; browned toast, potatoes, etc. (there is a carcinogen

created); MSG, aspartame & carrageenan and all the ways they are

hidden in most processed or ready-to-eat food; fumes coming off our

dry-cleaned clothes, our carpets, etc.; breathing the outside air;

breathing the inside air. The list goes on and on.

I'm sure there are web sites saying just about anything is

potentially dangerous. That's why I asked about studies, such that I

can see how they were conducted, whether they were peer-reviewed or

replicated, and the response of other scientists.

If cancer is one's concern, read The China Study. Campbell's work

shows that animal protein (he used casein) would promote cancer in

the presence of cancer-causing agents; its absence caused cancer to

stop dead in its tracks. He could turn cancer on and off at will

depending on what he fed his animals, which had all been given one of

the most powerful cancer-causing agents known.

Fat also seems to promote cancer.

So given our diet, I'm not at all sure we would get cancer even if we

did come into contact with something carcinigenic.

I do enjoy that very much! I was skeptical at first, but I’ve had it for breakfast quite a bit (also try blueberries in place of raisins).

Anna

--

http://eatbreathemove.blogspot.com/

On 12/1/08 3:35 AM, " Sue Demkowicz " <veggiesue wrote:

Good morning everyone,

I have been following Dr. McDougall for about 10 years on and off.

Unfortunately, most of that time has been off to plan. I am

currently back, having just finished reading Prevent and Reverse

Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselystn.

I am also intrigued by Dr. Fuhrman's regimen, but I'm concerned with

the fat content of the nuts, seeds and avocados that he allows. I

sure do like the taste though, his recipes are quite good. Anyone

have any comments on Dr. Furhman's plan? I would just be interested

in hearing your thoughts.

This has probably been around before, but I have just eaten the best

and easiest breakfast ever...this one from Ann Esselstyn:

In a bowl, add one sliced banana. Add 1 cup of old fashioned oats

on top (not quick cooking or instant), add raisins or currants if

you wish and top with apple juice to cover the oats. Microwave for

1 minute 30 seconds and enjoy. This makes a huge amount and it packs

well for me to bring to work and nuke when I get there.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekends.

We have probably strayed too long from the "fat-free" intent of this list, but....(I can't help myself) anecdotal information ("I knew someone who...") leads us to ask the questions, but it is peer-reviewed controlled studies that answer the questions. So until our excellent questions are scrutinized under controlled study, we need to use common sense. I feel that Aly (thank you, Aly!!) provided us with that common sense:

"Microwaves are not movies. I tend not to stand in front of it watching as though peering through a window. My microwave is 10 years old. We tossed my Dad's microwave last year, because it was ancient. Also, don't sit right in front of your TV (or monitor, for that matter). My monitor is a foot away or more. My TV farther. I am inclined to believe the doctors of the healthy lifestyle expo."

Controlled peer-reviewed studies do, however, implicate plastic. Do NOT use it at all in the microwave, limit how much you bring home (buy reusable nonplastic containers/shopping bags, buy in bulk, etc.), and recycle.

Meanwhile, check out this amazing low-fat veggie lady (http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/cgi-bin/svblog.cgi/2007/08/09). I am half her age, but I don't look a day younger!! She is my new hero!!

Janet

-

hathor42

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:51 PM

Re: Newby

, Darlene Jones <drljn9 wrote:>> Hi I will check for you. I was talking to a gentleman that acquired cancer from standing in front of a microwave watching his food. When i went to my doctor he told me that even if I use the microwave that never, ever, ever, use plastic. It seeps into the food that you are using....DarleneI don't know how anyone could know how they acquired cancer unless they were in contact with a known carcinigen. (OK, lung cancer in a long term smoker is probably from smoking, but even then, one doesn't know for sure, since nonsmokers get lung cancer too). I've heard about not using plastic wrap. It doesn't work right in the microwave anyway.I'm unclear if the argument is that microwaves leak out, or that the food is altered.I've looked at the cites that other people have provided, but these aren't studies showing cancer. I think there are worse things to worry about or at least with more scientific basis: aluminum cookware & antiperspirants (or food touching aluminum foil); veggies & fruits grown with fluoridated water or sprayed with pesticides containing fluoride; browned toast, potatoes, etc. (there is a carcinogen created); MSG, aspartame & carrageenan and all the ways they are hidden in most processed or ready-to-eat food; fumes coming off our dry-cleaned clothes, our carpets, etc.; breathing the outside air; breathing the inside air. The list goes on and on.I'm sure there are web sites saying just about anything is potentially dangerous. That's why I asked about studies, such that I can see how they were conducted, whether they were peer-reviewed or replicated, and the response of other scientists. If cancer is one's concern, read The China Study. Campbell's work shows that animal protein (he used casein) would promote cancer in the presence of cancer-causing agents; its absence caused cancer to stop dead in its tracks. He could turn cancer on and off at will depending on what he fed his animals, which had all been given one of the most powerful cancer-causing agents known.Fat also seems to promote cancer.So given our diet, I'm not at all sure we would get cancer even if we did come into contact with something carcinigenic.

Too much fear on microwave and cancer.I know that the only requirement for cancer is to be alive.

I have lost too many family and friends to this horrible disease.

Just discovered today that another friend is dying .She is at a cancer research center.Lost a friend over the Holidays.Lost my sister 3 years ago to it.We must enjoy life lives.

And honestly, no one knows for sure what causes it. I think that all things cause it.People that do not smoke get lung cancer.

Having said this to say I try to take care of myself in all ways the best that I know.I have to live and be happy doing it. I really stay away from fearful negative people.Have become aware that when we get the fear going it is very strong.

I wish you all health & happiness .We must enjoy our life . Janie

----

Janet Coe Hammond

1/11/2008 10:47:30 PM

Re: Re: Newby

We have probably strayed too long from the "fat-free" intent of this list, but....(I can't help myself) anecdotal information ("I knew someone who...") leads us to ask the questions, but it is peer-reviewed controlled studies that answer the questions. So until our excellent questions are scrutinized under controlled study, we need to use common sense. I feel that Aly (thank you, Aly!!) provided us with that common sense:

"Microwaves are not movies. I tend not to stand in front of it watching as though peering through a window. My microwave is 10 years old. We tossed my Dad's microwave last year, because it was ancient. Also, don't sit right in front of your TV (or monitor, for that matter). My monitor is a foot away or more. My TV farther. I am inclined to believe the doctors of the healthy lifestyle expo."

Controlled peer-reviewed studies do, however, implicate plastic. Do NOT use it at all in the microwave, limit how much you bring home (buy reusable nonplastic containers/shopping bags, buy in bulk, etc.), and recycle.

Meanwhile, check out this amazing low-fat veggie lady (http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/cgi-bin/svblog.cgi/2007/08/09). I am half her age, but I don't look a day younger!! She is my new hero!!

Janet

-

hathor42

, Darlene Jones <drljn9 wrote:>> Hi I will check for you. I was talking to a gentleman that acquired cancer from standing in front of a microwave watching his food. When i went to my doctor he told me that even if I use the microwave that never, ever, ever, use plastic. It seeps into the food that you are using....DarleneI don't know how anyone could know how they acquired cancer unless they were in contact with a known carcinigen. (OK, lung cancer in a long term smoker is probably from smoking, but even then, one doesn't know for sure, since nonsmokers get lung cancer too). I've heard about not using plastic wrap. It doesn't work right in the microwave anyway.I'm unclear if the argument is that microwaves leak out, or that the food is altered.I've looked at the cites that other people have provided, but these aren't studies showing cancer. I think there are worse things to worry about or at least with more scientific basis: aluminum cookware & antiperspirants (or food touching aluminum foil); veggies & fruits grown with fluoridated water or sprayed with pesticides containing fluoride; browned toast, potatoes, etc. (there is a carcinogen created); MSG, aspartame & carrageenan and all the ways they are hidden in most processed or ready-to-eat food; fumes coming off our dry-cleaned clothes, our carpets, etc.; breathing the outside air; breathing the inside air. The list goes on and on.I'm sure there are web sites saying just about anything is potentially dangerous. That's why I asked about studies, such that I can see how they were conducted, whether they were peer-reviewed or replicated, and the response of other scientists. If cancer is one's concern, read The China Study. Campbell's work shows that animal protein (he used casein) would promote cancer in the presence of cancer-causing agents; its absence caused cancer to stop dead in its tracks. He could turn cancer on and off at will depending on what he fed his animals, which had all been given one of the most powerful cancer-causing agents known.Fat also seems to promote cancer.So given our diet, I'm not at all sure we would get cancer even if we did come into contact with something carcinigenic.

Janie, your losses are tremendous - my heart goes out to you and of course those who have battled this disease. I do think you had the best piece of common sense of all "We must enjoy our life."

Thanks,

Janet

-

JWMann

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:17 PM

Too much fear on microwave and cancer.I know that the only requirement for cancer is to be alive.

Just discovered today that another friend is dying .She is at a cancer research center.Lost a friend over the Holidays.Lost my sister 3 years ago to it.We must enjoy life lives.

And honestly, no one knows for sure what causes it. I think that all things cause it.People that do not smoke get lung cancer.

Having said this to say I try to take care of myself in all ways the best that I know.I have to live and be happy doing it. I really stay away from fearful negative people.Have become aware that when we get the fear going it is very strong.

----

Janet Coe Hammond

Janet

-

hathor42

Janie--I am so sorry for all your losses! You are doing the right thing to protect yourself from cancer, because a fat free vegan diet is a HUGE part of cancer prevention. It is also a huge part of a cancer CURE, so I hope some of your loved ones will give this a try for themselves. It is often very difficult to tell an already sick and frightened person to go against conventional medicine, but it can be a life saving step. Have you ever seen any of Dr. Lorraine Day's DVD's (she documented her cure from cancer), or read the numerous testimonies at the Hallelujah Acres website? Even if you are not a Christian, the hundreds of testimonies of cures from "chronic" and "incurable" diseases is incredibly encouraging!

MarilynStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Greetings all, I have gone the same route as far as making myself not worry about everything. I even had to unsub from Dr. Mercola's newsletter. Twice a week there was something new that was threatening my life and should be avoided!!! I was under so much stress from worry, I had frequent migraines. I have had many CT scans during my life as well as x-rays and MRI's. When I was pregnant, it was *reallly* rough. I was at a high chance of losing the baby or ME dying. I was in the hospital for 2 months straight at the end (in & out during the whole pregnancy). During my stay, I was on constant monitoring which included WEEKLY ultrasounds sometimes twice a week....My daughter is perfect, no damage that I had read about in a FEW magazines. I was fully expecting to bring home a 6 eyed taod with webbed feet and 2 fingers......the point is.....we all make ourselves SICK, literally sick with worry over every aspect of life. It's taken awhile, but now that I

have cleared my life of *too* much information, I can only worry about the big, important stuff.Sometimes, ignorance *IS* bliss. A very critical tool is being able to seperate the wheat from the chaff and letting the wind carry away the chaff..... Rayne :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hi Marilyn,In that same vane as the ultrasound tests, I am scheduled for a CT scan next Tuesday. Dr. Fuhrman told me NOT to take the CT scan, to have the doctor schedule an MRI instead, due to the radiation. Of course, my doctor's network, Kaiser Permanente, won't hear of making the change. I'm very concerned about the amount of radiation in the CT scan, but I guess more afraid not to have it performed. During an ultrasound, they found "something" in my left kidney. So, rather than worry myself to death, I've decided to just have the test done and go from there.

Dr. Fuhrman stated that taking a CT scan is likened to standing in front of an x-ray machine unprotected for something like 10 x-rays. It's pretty frightening, but then so is having maybe kidney cancer or something else.Anyone know any more about CT scans?Sue

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Janet

Thanks for your kind words.

I absolutely insist that I enjoy life each day .There can be sunshine even in a storm.I live my life to the fullest, not in a morbid way, but in a grateful way.Happy Joyous and Free.

Have a glorious weekend, Janie

----

Janet Coe Hammond

1/12/2008 12:26:10 AM

Janie, your losses are tremendous - my heart goes out to you and of course those who have battled this disease. I do think you had the best piece of common sense of all "We must enjoy our life."

Thanks,

Janet

-

JWMann

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:17 PM

----

Janet Coe Hammond

Janet

-

hathor42

Marilyn,

Thanks for your kind words and the information .I am good in all ways, mental ,physical and spiritually here in sunny Tampa Fl.

Have read a lot on the web site Hallelujah Acres for some time now.

I am the only one that I can do anything about.That was a hard lesson to learn...

I wrote that message last evening when once again I read all the fear about microwaves.

I did the same thing that I was writing about. I need to remember that this is a fat free vegan group and not a cancer site or a positive way of like.And I do need to respect all people on this site and will try very hard to do so in the future.

Tampa Fl. Have read a lot on the web site Hallelujah Acres.

Thanks for all your sharing.I am still learning how to eat healthy.

Janie

----

sahmomof8

1/12/2008 10:25:53 AM

Janie--I am so sorry for all your losses! You are doing the right thing to protect yourself from cancer, because a fat free vegan diet is a HUGE part of cancer prevention. It is also a huge part of a cancer CURE, so I hope some of your loved ones will give this a try for themselves. It is often very difficult to tell an already sick and frightened person to go against conventional medicine, but it can be a life saving step. Have you ever seen any of Dr. Lorraine Day's DVD's (she documented her cure from cancer), or read the numerous testimonies at the Hallelujah Acres website? Even if you are not a Christian, the hundreds of testimonies of cures from "chronic" and "incurable" diseases is incredibly encouraging!

Marilyn

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Here's a better one that I LOVE:

In a bowl put:

2 T. rolled oats, uncooked

1 - 2 T. ground flax seed

1-2 T. raisins or other dried fruit

Pour in 1/2 - 1 c. rice milk and let soak while you add the rest

(ideally you would let it soak overnight but I never think about it

then)

1 sliced banana

1 chopped raw apple

handful of blueberries or other berries

anything else you want

Add more rice milk if needed. Opt. agave nectar to taste

I dont' add any extra sweetener and only 1 T. raisins and find it

sweet enough for me.

Oh, and you eat it raw, don't nuke it!

YUMMM!

Barbara (a newby who hasn't introduced herself yet)

, Coop <rodstruelove wrote:

>

> I do enjoy that very much! I was skeptical at first, but I¹ve had

it for

> breakfast quite a bit (also try blueberries in place of raisins).

>

> Anna

> --

> http://eatbreathemove.blogspot.com/

>

>

>

>

> On 12/1/08 3:35 AM, " Sue Demkowicz " <veggiesue wrote:

>

> >

> > Good morning everyone,

> >

> > I have been following Dr. McDougall for about 10 years on and off.

> > Unfortunately, most of that time has been off to plan. I am

> > currently back, having just finished reading Prevent and Reverse

> > Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselystn.

> >

> > I am also intrigued by Dr. Fuhrman's regimen, but I'm concerned

with

> > the fat content of the nuts, seeds and avocados that he allows. I

> > sure do like the taste though, his recipes are quite good. Anyone

> > have any comments on Dr. Furhman's plan? I would just be

interested

> > in hearing your thoughts.

> >

> > This has probably been around before, but I have just eaten the

best

> > and easiest breakfast ever...this one from Ann Esselstyn:

> >

> > In a bowl, add one sliced banana. Add 1 cup of old fashioned oats

> > on top (not quick cooking or instant), add raisins or currants if

> > you wish and top with apple juice to cover the oats. Microwave

for

> > 1 minute 30 seconds and enjoy. This makes a huge amount and it

packs

> > well for me to bring to work and nuke when I get there.

> >

> > I hope everyone enjoys their weekends.

> >

>