IndiaDivine.org

Barley flour?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all- Does anyone out there use barley flour as a substitute for wheat flour?

What have

been your results/success? Do you have a favorite recipe you could share?

Many thanks! - Margaret

> Hi all- Does anyone out there use barley flour as a substitute for wheat

flour? What

have

> been your results/success? Do you have a favorite recipe you could share?

I use it in place of wheat flour in fat-free banana cornbread recipe. I think I

found it here

originally, using wheat flour :)

Love and hugs, River

If you are on a diet then wheat flour is better. When I bake anything I use wheat flour, and I don't suffer weight gain. I love wheat flour, and I don't see any difference in the taste. I'm going to be on a diet for the rest of my life, and wheat flour is going to be my new flour.river7run <river7run Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:59:44 AM Re: Barley flour?

> Hi all- Does anyone out there use barley flour as a substitute for wheat flour? What

have

> been your results/success? Do you have a favorite recipe you could share?

I use it in place of wheat flour in fat-free banana cornbread recipe. I think I found it here

originally, using wheat flour :)

Love and hugs, River

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet. America is a land of wheat-flour-eaters and has a huge obesity problem...???

Janet

-

candyazz28

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:24 PM

Re: Re: Barley flour?

If you are on a diet then wheat flour is better. When I bake anything I use wheat flour, and I don't suffer weight gain. I love wheat flour, and I don't see any difference in the taste. I'm going to be on a diet for the rest of my life, and wheat flour is going to be my new flour.

river7run <river7run > Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:59:44 AM Re: Barley flour?

> Hi all- Does anyone out there use barley flour as a substitute for wheat flour? What have > been your results/success? Do you have a favorite recipe you could share?I use it in place of wheat flour in fat-free banana cornbread recipe. I think I found it here originally, using wheat flour :)Love and hugs, River

For items that don't need protein for structure (such as cakes, muffins, quick breads, & cookies), I freely switch up flours. Yeast bread needs gluten (wheat protein) for structure and its really tricky to substitute other flours.

Janet

-

candyazz28

If you are on a diet then wheat flour is better. When I bake anything I use wheat flour, and I don't suffer weight gain. I love wheat flour, and I don't see any difference in the taste. I'm going to be on a diet for the rest of my life, and wheat flour is going to be my new flour.

river7run <river7run > Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:59:44 AM Re: Barley flour?

> Hi all- Does anyone out there use barley flour as a substitute for wheat flour? What have > been your results/success? Do you have a favorite recipe you could share?I use it in place of wheat flour in fat-free banana cornbread recipe. I think I found it here originally, using wheat flour :)Love and hugs, River

It's white flour that is bad for you because it is stripped of it's nutrients and replaced (enriched) I lost 10 pounds in a month by cutting out white flour and granulated sugar. I use Agave nectar or raw sugar instead.Janet Coe Hammond <janetcoe wrote: I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet. America is a land of wheat-flour-eaters and has a huge obesity problem...??? Janet

- candyazz28 Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:24 PM Re: Re: Barley flour? If you are on a diet then wheat flour is better. When I bake anything I use wheat

flour, and I don't suffer weight gain. I love wheat flour, and I don't see any difference in the taste. I'm going to be on a diet for the rest of my life, and wheat flour is going to be my new flour. river7run <river7run > Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:59:44 AM Re: Barley flour? > Hi all- Does anyone out there use barley flour as a substitute for wheat flour? What have > been your results/success? Do you have a favorite recipe you could share?I use it in place of wheat flour in fat-free banana cornbread recipe. I think I found it here originally, using wheat flour :)Love and hugs,

River Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Whole-Wheat flour also has more fiber and lower glycemic index, both of which would contribute to weight loss.

Janet

-

karissa blades

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:24 PM

It's white flour that is bad for you because it is stripped of it's nutrients and replaced (enriched) I lost 10 pounds in a month by cutting out white flour and granulated sugar. I use Agave nectar or raw sugar instead.Janet Coe Hammond <janetcoe (AT) cox (DOT) net> wrote:

I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet. America is a land of wheat-flour-eaters and has a huge obesity problem...???

Janet

-

candyazz28

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hi Janet and others

> I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet.

America is a land of wheat-flour-eaters and has a huge obesity

problem...???

I agree that wheat flour is not the best - I use spelt. Also an

alternative is quinoa flour - stirred up as a good alternative

especially after the quinoa emails. I have only looked at it in the

health food shop and pondered it..waiting for my spelt to run out!

I've got a great recipe link for spelt sourdough...

http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/recipes/essene.php

Blessed eating!

duirbeannachd

duirbeannachd,Do you sprout the grain yourself? I don't think I've seen sprouted grain for sale....

Janet

-

duirbeannachd

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:39 PM

Re: Barley flour?

Hi Janet and others> I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet. America is a land of wheat-flour-eaters and has a huge obesity problem...???I agree that wheat flour is not the best - I use spelt. Also an alternative is quinoa flour - stirred up as a good alternative especially after the quinoa emails. I have only looked at it in the health food shop and pondered it..waiting for my spelt to run out!I've got a great recipe link for spelt sourdough...http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/recipes/essene.phpBlessed eating!duirbeannachd

Hi Janet

> duirbeannachd,

> Do you sprout the grain yourself? I don't think I've seen sprouted

grain for sale....

I sprout it myself. i use a specially made sprouting jar from

Biosnacky. I haven't yet tried sprouted quinoa. Or the bread for that

matter as i just began searching for the recipe the other day. I'll try

it on the weekend.

Happy sprouting!

duirbeannachd

> I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet.

America is a land of wheat-flour- eaters and has a huge obesity

problem...?? ?

This is really interesting. I agree, it might not be better, as someone has

commented. The

problem is that in the land of wheat-flour eaters (which includes Canada, just

north of you

guys) where obesity is rampant, the usual wheat-flour of choice is white flour

or all-

purpose flour. When I use wheat flour I use WHOLE-wheat flour and do not mix it

with

white or all-purpose wheat flour at all. Even the breads one can purchase which

proclaim

they are 'whole wheat' are frequently not that - but mixed with all-purpose

flour (white).

That's why I make my own always - nothing in there but the good stuff :) And I

also keep

in rye and spelt.

Barley flour is good imho because when one is trying to curb one's appetitie,

it's good to

have a food that releases its sugars gradually rather than immediately

(gradually means no

'hunger' or craving for more). Barley flour does that - it is low on the

glycemic index. I

think my cornbread recipe (I calll it 'mine' althoough others use a similar one)

works

brilliantly in that regard - mixing half cornmeal and half barley flour. This

was I believe

one of Dr Neal Barnard's recommendations - probably on the PCRM site. (It's also

fat-free,

Susan :) )

Love and hugs, River

Wheat flower is fairly allergenic and is higher on the glycemic index that many other choices, but it is the refined (white) wheat that really impacts health.

Janet

-

river7run

Friday, February 01, 2008 8:55 AM

Re: Barley flour?

> I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet. America is a land of wheat-flour- eaters and has a huge obesity problem...?? ?This is really interesting. I agree, it might not be better, as someone has commented. The problem is that in the land of wheat-flour eaters (which includes Canada, just north of you guys) where obesity is rampant, the usual wheat-flour of choice is white flour or all-purpose flour. When I use wheat flour I use WHOLE-wheat flour and do not mix it with white or all-purpose wheat flour at all. Even the breads one can purchase which proclaim they are 'whole wheat' are frequently not that - but mixed with all-purpose flour (white). That's why I make my own always - nothing in there but the good stuff :) And I also keep in rye and spelt.Barley flour is good imho because when one is trying to curb one's appetitie, it's good to have a food that releases its sugars gradually rather than immediately (gradually means no 'hunger' or craving for more). Barley flour does that - it is low on the glycemic index. I think my cornbread recipe (I calll it 'mine' althoough others use a similar one) works brilliantly in that regard - mixing half cornmeal and half barley flour. This was I believe one of Dr Neal Barnard's recommendations - probably on the PCRM site. (It's also fat-free, Susan :) )Love and hugs, River

• 3 weeks later...

could you send out you cornbread recipe, I have never baked with barley flour and would love to try it with some guidelines. I do love corn bread especially with corn baked into it. t thanks Dianariver7run <river7run wrote: > I don't understand why wheat flour is better when you are on a diet. America is a land of wheat-flour- eaters and has a huge obesity problem...?? ?This is really interesting. I agree, it might not be better, as someone has commented. The problem is

that in the land of wheat-flour eaters (which includes Canada, just north of you guys) where obesity is rampant, the usual wheat-flour of choice is white flour or all-purpose flour. When I use wheat flour I use WHOLE-wheat flour and do not mix it with white or all-purpose wheat flour at all. Even the breads one can purchase which proclaim they are 'whole wheat' are frequently not that - but mixed with all-purpose flour (white). That's why I make my own always - nothing in there but the good stuff :) And I also keep in rye and spelt.Barley flour is good imho because when one is trying to curb one's appetitie, it's good to have a food that releases its sugars gradually rather than immediately (gradually means no 'hunger' or craving for more). Barley flour does that - it is low on the glycemic index. I think my cornbread recipe (I calll it 'mine' althoough others use a similar one) works brilliantly in that regard - mixing half

cornmeal and half barley flour. This was I believe one of Dr Neal Barnard's recommendations - probably on the PCRM site. (It's also fat-free, Susan :) )Love and hugs, River