Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I used to be able to buy prepared sun-dried tomato spread, but have

since moved and can't find it. Here's what I came up with as a

replacement. I like it with hummus and leafy greens in a whole wheat

pita. I haven't yet tried it in a sandwich with caramelized onions

and grilled eggplant.

1 package sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)

1 1/2 cup boiling water

1-2 cloves minced garlic

1-2 tbs capers, rinsed and drained (chopped if large)

Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water for at least ten minutes

to soften. Mince the garlic and roughly chop the capers if necessary.

When sun-dried tomatoes are soft, process them in batches in food

processor with garlic and capers, until smooth. Use the soaking

liquid as necessary to make a smooth paste. Store in refrigerator.

I haven't experimented much with adding herbs, but certainly basil

and/or oregano would be delicious.

Cheers,

Mary

Guest guest

Hi Mary,That sounds delicious. And so many of the sun-dried tomato spreads are so oily. I'm saving this one to try.JennyOn Apr 5, 2008, at 10:37 AM, threefatesfiber wrote:I used to be able to buy prepared sun-dried tomato spread, but havesince moved and can't find it. Here's what I came up with as areplacement. I like it with hummus and leafy greens in a whole wheatpita. I haven't yet tried it in a sandwich with caramelized onionsand grilled eggplant.1 package sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)1 1/2 cup boiling water1-2 cloves minced garlic1-2 tbs capers, rinsed and drained (chopped if large)Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water for at least ten minutesto soften. Mince the garlic and roughly chop the capers if necessary.When sun-dried tomatoes are soft, process them in batches in foodprocessor with garlic and capers, until smooth. Use the soakingliquid as necessary to make a smooth paste. Store in refrigerator.I haven't experimented much with adding herbs, but certainly basiland/or oregano would be delicious.Cheers,Mary

Guest guest

Mary, this sounds really good. Can you tell me how big a "package" is? Stefthreefatesfiber <maryl4 wrote: I used to be able to buy prepared sun-dried tomato spread, but havesince moved and can't find it. Here's what I came up with as areplacement. I like it with hummus and leafy greens in a whole wheatpita. I haven't yet tried it in a sandwich with caramelized onionsand grilled eggplant.1 package sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)1 1/2 cup boiling water1-2 cloves

minced garlic1-2 tbs capers, rinsed and drained (chopped if large)Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water for at least ten minutesto soften. Mince the garlic and roughly chop the capers if necessary.When sun-dried tomatoes are soft, process them in batches in foodprocessor with garlic and capers, until smooth. Use the soakingliquid as necessary to make a smooth paste. Store in refrigerator.I haven't experimented much with adding herbs, but certainly basiland/or oregano would be delicious.Cheers,MaryHolding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.-Buddha

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Guest guest

Oops. Sorry for the vagueness. It's about 1 1/2 cups by volume (not

packed at all). What's available here are dried tomato halves from

Frieda's. I don't have any at the moment to see how many ounces are

in a bag. I looked on their website, but they don't have weight info

listed.

Hope that helps!

Mary

, steff davidson <steffdav46

wrote:

>

> Mary, this sounds really good. Can you tell me how big a " package " is?

> Stef

>

Guest guest

Thanks Mary!threefatesfiber <maryl4 wrote: Oops. Sorry for the vagueness. It's about 1 1/2 cups by volume (notpacked at all). What's available here are dried tomato halves fromFrieda's. I don't have any at the moment to see how many ounces arein a bag. I looked on their website, but they don't have weight infolisted.Hope that helps!Mary , steff davidson

<steffdav46wrote:>> Mary, this sounds really good. Can you tell me how big a "package" is? > Stef> Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.-Buddha

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!