IndiaDivine.org

Patak Paneer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Vegan Panak Paneer

(adapted from Mahandi's Food Blog)

One big bunch of fresh green spinach 10 to 15 cubes soft tofu (substitution for the soft Indian cheese)One medium sized ripe tomatoGreen chillies 5, half onion~ chopped finely into small piecesHalf tsp of garlic-ginger-cilantro pasteOne tsp of dhania-jeera (coriander-cumin) powderQuarter cup cashewsHalf tsp of salt

Spinach and Green Chillies - Wash the spinach, cut or tear them into big pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet ans wipe barely with oil. First add green chillies , a couple T water, then spinach. Saute until the leaves are wilted. Turn off the heat. Wait few minutes to cool. Add them to a blender and also a pinch of salt - blend to smooth paste( You may also just substitute frozen chopped spinach). Adding green chillies to spinach puree is very important step; it gives punch (!)to bland spinach.

Tomato- Boil tomato in hot water till the skin break down, remove the skin, mash the tomato to a pulp.

Cashews- Roast cashews lightly, make fine powder of them.

Paneer- Lightly brown tofu cubes in a lightly oiled till they are golden brown. (This is optional, you can add tofu cubes just as they are.)

Now with the curry:

Remove tofu and set asside. Reheat skillet. When it is hot, fry the onions till translucent. Add ginger-garlic-cilantro paste and dhania-jeera powder, mix them and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.

Now add pureed spinach, tomato and cashew powder along with a pinch of turmeric and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly and add water if needed. Do not dilute the curry too much. It should not spread like flooding river when served on a plate.

Cook it covered on low flame for about 5 to 10 minutes. Just before turning off the heat, add the paneer cubes. Mix them with the spinach (palak). Let simmer for 2 or 3 minutes and then turn off the heat.

Serve the curry hot with chapatis (rotis) or with rice. Also for novelty, you can make a Palak Panner Naanini (Split naan into two layers, apply generous potions of palak paneer in-between. Grill or Oven-broil for few minutes and serve with soy yogurt raita.) Anyway you prefer, palak paneer is truly a guilt free, satisfying, well balanced delicious dish.

Guest guest

You have made my day with these recipes! My favorite food in the world is Indian followed closely by Vietnamese. Thank you for posting them. I can't wait to unpack my kitchen and try them.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

siderea

Cc: Eat-2-Live ; Christian-Vegan-Cooking

Friday, April 11, 2008 11:45 PM

Patak Paneer

Vegan Panak Paneer

One big bunch of fresh green spinach 10 to 15 cubes soft tofu (substitution for the soft Indian cheese)One medium sized ripe tomatoGreen chillies 5, half onion~ chopped finely into small piecesHalf tsp of garlic-ginger-cilantro pasteOne tsp of dhania-jeera (coriander-cumin) powderQuarter cup cashewsHalf tsp of salt

Spinach and Green Chillies - Wash the spinach, cut or tear them into big pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet ans wipe barely with oil. First add green chillies , a couple T water, then spinach. Saute until the leaves are wilted. Turn off the heat. Wait few minutes to cool. Add them to a blender and also a pinch of salt - blend to smooth paste( You may also just substitute frozen chopped spinach). Adding green chillies to spinach puree is very important step; it gives punch (!)to bland spinach.

Tomato- Boil tomato in hot water till the skin break down, remove the skin, mash the tomato to a pulp.

Paneer- Lightly brown tofu cubes in a lightly oiled till they are golden brown. (This is optional, you can add tofu cubes just as they are.)

Now with the curry:

Remove tofu and set asside. Reheat skillet. When it is hot, fry the onions till translucent. Add ginger-garlic-cilantro paste and dhania-jeera powder, mix them and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.

Now add pureed spinach, tomato and cashew powder along with a pinch of turmeric and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly and add water if needed. Do not dilute the curry too much. It should not spread like flooding river when served on a plate.

Cook it covered on low flame for about 5 to 10 minutes. Just before turning off the heat, add the paneer cubes. Mix them with the spinach (palak). Let simmer for 2 or 3 minutes and then turn off the heat.

Serve the curry hot with chapatis (rotis) or with rice. Also for novelty, you can make a Palak Panner Naanini (Split naan into two layers, apply generous potions of palak paneer in-between. Grill or Oven-broil for few minutes and serve with soy yogurt raita.) Anyway you prefer, palak paneer is truly a guilt free, satisfying, well balanced delicious dish.

Guest guest

So Gail, what are some of your fav Vietnamese recipes?? share the wealth!!

Smiles,

Janet

-

Gayle

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:12 AM

Re: Patak Paneer

You have made my day with these recipes! My favorite food in the world is Indian followed closely by Vietnamese. Thank you for posting them. I can't wait to unpack my kitchen and try them.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

siderea

Patak Paneer

Vegan Panak Paneer

Now with the curry:

Guest guest

I'd love to but I'm in the middle of unpacking and have no idea where my recipes are! I have a garage full of boxes and things as well as a storage unit full and am trying to get everythhing unpacked. When I find the boxes with all the recipe notes, cards, and books in them, I'll post some Vietnamese recipes. I'm going to a vegan meet-up tonight at a Vietnamese restaurant. Maybe I can get them to share some of their recipes. Probably not, but I can ask.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Janet Coe Hammond

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:16 PM

So Gail, what are some of your fav Vietnamese recipes?? share the wealth!!

Smiles,

Janet

-

Gayle

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:12 AM

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

siderea

Patak Paneer

Vegan Panak Paneer

Now with the curry: