IndiaDivine.org

Recipe: Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausages (was Food plan for today, 4/13/08)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks for the recipe! I don't have a steamer though, is there another method I can use? My Dh and boys would love "sausage"!

Blessings, Jean

Serene <serene-lists Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:35:02 AMRecipe: Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausages (was Re: Food plan for today, 4/13/08)CINDY wrote:> Serene, how do> you make Seitan Italian sausage? Thanks!!Here's the recipe I got from Sue's post on the McD12Day list. I hope it's okay to repost it here. Everything below my name was posted by Sue on the other list:SereneSpicy Italian Vegetarian SausagesMakes 8 links2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes1/4 cup chickpea flour2 tbsp Bills Best Chik¢Nish Seasoning (if using another brand which issalty, or saltier than Bill¢s Best, you¢ll want to greatly reduce theamount

you use)2 tbsp granulated onion1 to 2 tbsp fennel seed, optional2 tsp coarsely ground pepper, preferably freshly ground2 tsp ground paprika1 tsp dried chili flakes, optional1 tsp ground smoked paprika1/2 tsp dried oregano1 tsp salt1/8 tsp ground allspice2 1/4 cups cool water*6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed2 tbsp olive oil2 tbsp soy sauce1. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Whisktogether the water, garlic, olive oil and soy sauce and using a fork,gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir just until ingredients aremixed. If dough mixture is too dry, you can add another tablespoon ofwater or as needed.2. Scoop 1/2 cup dough mixture at a time and shape into logs. Place logson piece of aluminum foil and roll up, twisting ends. Place sausages insteamer and steam for 30 minutes. Once sausages have cooled, remove fromfoil and

refrigerate until ready to eat. After cooling, the sausages mayfeel a bit dry on the outside. Don¢t worry, as they will soften and firmup considerably after chilling.Variation: You can shape the dough into little patties instead of links.If you don¢t want to use aluminum foil, you can wrap the links in dampmuslin or tea towel and tie ends with cotton twine. Julie Hassonhttp://www.everydaydish.tv/Recipe%20Pages/Spicy_Italian_Vegetarian_Sausage.html---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

Jean Deschenes wrote:

> <!-- DIV {margin:0px;} --> Thanks for the recipe! I don't have a

> steamer though, is there another method I can use? My Dh and boys

> would love " sausage " !

Some ideas, in roughly my order of preference:

1) Use a colander over a pot of boiling water.

2) Bake on a rack over a pan of water (I'd go with 350F for a temperature)

3) Simmer

Serene

Guest guest

Thank you again. I will experiment!

Blessings, Jean

Serene <serene-lists Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:03:20 PMRe: Recipe: Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausages (was Re: Food plan for today, 4/13/08)Jean Deschenes wrote:> <!-- DIV {margin:0px;} --> Thanks for the recipe! I don't have a> steamer though, is there another method I can use? My Dh and boys> would love "sausage"!Some ideas, in roughly my order of preference:1) Use a colander over a pot of boiling water.2) Bake on a rack over a pan of water (I'd go with 350F for a temperature)3) SimmerSerene---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

On 4/13/08, Serene <serene-lists wrote:

> 1) Use a colander over a pot of boiling water.

I use one of those $2 metal expandable steamer thingies intended to

insert into a large soup pot and it has cheerfully filled all my

current steaming needs.

Sparrow