new to vegan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

welcome and congrats

:)

hope ya enjoy it here and hope we can all learn

cheers

fraggle nancy May 3, 2005 12:30 PM New to vegan Hi all, I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the end of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the girls at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows. She went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so one. Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web site. Totally different topice from Vegan. It was a message bored. Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of course I watched it got the web site and read more and watched more.....The next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that sells vegan item I use only vegan mayo. Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially giving up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw it I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way. Trying to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through when they go vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that is vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so anti-vegan....What did you do to them ....lol. I hope to learn a lot from here....Thanku To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Nancy

Welcome to the group.

Chocolate is addictive which is why you had withdrawal symptoms.

Some people hate vegans because they know that eating meat is not

compassionate and that knowledge makes them feel guilty.

Jo

, " nancy " <ttrrtt2003> wrote:

> Hi all,

>

> I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the end

> of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the girls

> at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows.

She

> went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so

one.

> Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web

site.

> Totally different topice from Vegan. It was a message bored.

> Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of

course

> I watched it got the web site and read more and watched

more.....The

> next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my

> maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that

sells

> vegan item I use only vegan mayo.

>

>

> Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially

giving

> up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw

it

> I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when

> you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way. Trying

> to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier

> and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through

when

> they go vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I

> feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that

is

> vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or

> vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so anti-

> vegan....What did you do to them ....lol.

>

> I hope to learn a lot from here....

>

>

> Thanku

Guest guest

Hi Nancy.

Greetings from Ireland and welcome.

After a while as a vegan you should consider taking some B12

supplements or otherwise your Homocysteine levels will rise and that

will not do you any good. Other than that your body will love you

for making the change.

Mary

, " nancy " <ttrrtt2003> wrote:

> Hi all,

>

> I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the

end

> of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the

girls

> at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows.

She

> went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so

one.

> Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web

site.

> Totally different topice from Vegan. It was a message bored.

> Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of

course

> I watched it got the web site and read more and watched

more.....The

> next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my

> maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that

sells

> vegan item I use only vegan mayo.

>

>

> Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially

giving

> up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw

it

> I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when

> you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way.

Trying

> to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier

> and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through

when

> they go vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I

> feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that

is

> vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or

> vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so

anti-

> vegan....What did you do to them ....lol.

>

> I hope to learn a lot from here....

>

>

> Thanku

Guest guest

Hi Mary,

Thankyou for the edvice. I have heard of this so I always try to take my multi vitimans. When I finish them I will order so vegan vitimans.

From Texas

Mary Minihane <minih wrote:

Hi Nancy.Greetings from Ireland and welcome.After a while as a vegan you should consider taking some B12 supplements or otherwise your Homocysteine levels will rise and that will not do you any good. Other than that your body will love you for making the change.Mary , "nancy" <ttrrtt2003> wrote:> Hi all, > > I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the end > of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the girls > at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows. She > went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so one. > Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web site. > Totally different topice from

Vegan. It was a message bored. > Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of course > I watched it got the web site and read more and watched more.....The > next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my > maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that sells > vegan item I use only vegan mayo. > > > Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially giving > up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw it > I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when > you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way. Trying > to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier > and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through when > they go

vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I > feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that is > vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or > vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so anti-> vegan....What did you do to them ....lol. > > I hope to learn a lot from here....> > > ThankuTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Nancy

We use Quest Vegan Multi-vitamins which have a good supply of B12 in them, and they are not quite as expensive as some other brands.

Jo

-

nancy will

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:45 PM

Re: Re: New to vegan

Hi Mary,

Thankyou for the edvice. I have heard of this so I always try to take my multi vitimans. When I finish them I will order so vegan vitimans.

From Texas

Hi Nancy.Greetings from Ireland and welcome.After a while as a vegan you should consider taking some B12 supplements or otherwise your Homocysteine levels will rise and that will not do you any good. Other than that your body will love you for making the change.Mary , "nancy" <ttrrtt2003> wrote:> Hi all, > > I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the end > of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the girls > at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows. She > went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so one. > Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web site. > Totally different topice from Vegan. It was a message bored. > Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of course > I watched it got the web site and read more and watched more.....The > next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my > maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that sells > vegan item I use only vegan mayo. > > > Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially giving > up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw it > I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when > you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way. Trying > to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier > and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through when > they go vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I > feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that is > vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or > vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so anti-> vegan....What did you do to them ....lol. > > I hope to learn a lot from here....> > > ThankuTo send an email to -

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Could you tell me where I could get them. Thanks Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Nancy

We use Quest Vegan Multi-vitamins which have a good supply of B12 in them, and they are not quite as expensive as some other brands.

Jo

-

nancy will

Hi Mary,

From Texas

Hi Nancy.Greetings from Ireland and welcome.After a while as a vegan you should consider taking some B12 supplements or otherwise your Homocysteine levels will rise and that will not do you any good. Other than that your body will love you for making the change.Mary , "nancy" <ttrrtt2003> wrote:> Hi all, > > I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the end > of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the girls > at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows. She > went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so one. > Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web site. > Totally different topice from

Vegan. It was a message bored. > Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of course > I watched it got the web site and read more and watched more.....The > next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my > maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that sells > vegan item I use only vegan mayo. > > > Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially giving > up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw it > I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when > you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way. Trying > to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier > and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through when > they go

vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I > feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that is > vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or > vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so anti-> vegan....What did you do to them ....lol. > > I hope to learn a lot from here....> > > ThankuTo send an email to -

To send an email to - To send an email to -

Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

Guest guest

Quest is a UK brand and may not be available in Texas. I have their

B12 and as well as being more reasonable priced they are so clearly

marked VEGAN. You do not have to take ages (especially for those of

us at the age where the eyesight is not the best)to check up on it.

I also think that they are showing us the respect that we deserve by

clearly indicating it. Most companies dont even know that we exist

as a group (read M & S and Tesco). When my current multi runs out then

I will delebratly seek out their brand next time.

Mary

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Nancy

>

> We use Quest Vegan Multi-vitamins which have a good supply of B12

in them, and they are not quite as expensive as some other brands.

>

> Jo

> -

> nancy will

>

> Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:45 PM

> Re: Re: New to vegan

>

>

> Hi Mary,

>

> Thankyou for the edvice. I have heard of this so I always

try to take my multi vitimans. When I finish them I will order so

vegan vitimans.

>

> From Texas

>

>

> Mary Minihane <minih@g...> wrote:

> Hi Nancy.

> Greetings from Ireland and welcome.

> After a while as a vegan you should consider taking some B12

> supplements or otherwise your Homocysteine levels will rise

and that

> will not do you any good. Other than that your body will love

you

> for making the change.

> Mary

>

> , " nancy " <ttrrtt2003>

wrote:

> > Hi all,

> >

> > I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at

the

> end

> > of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of

the

> girls

> > at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the

cows.

> She

> > went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and

so

> one.

> > Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a

web

> site.

> > Totally different topice from Vegan. It was a message

bored.

> > Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms.

Of

> course

> > I watched it got the web site and read more and watched

> more.....The

> > next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up

was my

> > maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store

that

> sells

> > vegan item I use only vegan mayo.

> >

> >

> > Well let me tell you the first month was hard.

Esspecially

> giving

> > up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime

I saw

> it

> > I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of

like when

> > you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way.

> Trying

> > to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets

easier

> > and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go

through

> when

> > they go vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look

better. I

> > feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila

that

> is

> > vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming

vegan or

> > vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are

so

> anti-

> > vegan....What did you do to them ....lol.

> >

> > I hope to learn a lot from here....

> >

> >

> > Thanku

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

>

> -

-----------

>

Guest guest

Hi Nancy

I live in England and they are available in most health stores. I believe you can buy them over the internet from the Quest site.

Jo

-

nancy will

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:14 PM

Nancy

Jo

-

nancy will

Hi Mary,

From Texas

Hi Nancy.Greetings from Ireland and welcome.After a while as a vegan you should consider taking some B12 supplements or otherwise your Homocysteine levels will rise and that will not do you any good. Other than that your body will love you for making the change.Mary , "nancy" <ttrrtt2003> wrote:> Hi all, > > I hope all is well with everyone. I just become vegan at the end > of January 2004. It kind of happen by acciadent. One of the girls > at work told me about this show on how they slaughter the cows. She > went on explaining how they were skinned alive and so on and so one. > Well at that time I was not eating red meat. I went to a web site. > Totally different topice from Vegan. It was a message bored. > Anyhow...someone put a vidio link about the factory farms. Of course > I watched it got the web site and read more and watched more.....The > next day I was 95% vegan. The only thing I didnt give up was my > maynoys. And that I hardly at. Now that I found a store that sells > vegan item I use only vegan mayo. > > > Well let me tell you the first month was hard. Esspecially giving > up chacolate. I love the milk chcolate the most. Everytime I saw it > I would get sweating palms my heart would race. Kind of like when > you quite smoking. Now when I see it I dont feel that way. Trying > to figure out what to eat was hard at first but now it gets easier > and easier. I went through the detox stage that some go through when > they go vegan. I lost a lot of weight and my skin look better. I > feel better to. The problem is I have yet to find a tottila that is > vegan. It seems there are more and more people becoming vegan or > vegetarian. What I dont get is why are there some that are so anti-> vegan....What did you do to them ....lol. > > I hope to learn a lot from here....> > > ThankuTo send an email to -

MailStay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour To send an email to -

Guest guest

could you give me the url to the site .....thankyouJo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Nancy

I live in England and they are available in most health stores. I believe you can buy them over the internet from the Quest site.

Jo

-

nancy will

Nancy

Jo

-

nancy will

Hi Mary,

From Texas

MailStay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour To send an email to - To send an email to -

Make your home page

Guest guest

this ain;t Quest..but..here ya go

http://www.veganunlimited.com/supplements-vitamins---minerals.html

http://www.nutru.com/

i only know those cuz my ex use to take some of em nancy will May 4, 2005 1:12 PM Re: Re: New to vegan

could you give me the url to the site .....thankyouJo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Nancy

Jo

-

nancy will

Nancy

Jo

-

nancy will

Hi Mary,

From Texas

MailStay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour To send an email to - To send an email to -

Make your home page To send an email to -

• 3 years later...
Guest guest

Hi everyone my name is jordan. I am new to the whole vegan lifestyle

and am in desprate need of all the support I can get. I have always

been a meat and taters kinda gal and have never been taught any

diffrent. Now at almost 26 my intire world is changing no meat no

dairy no animal fat at all!!!! So this is tweaking me a little. Whats

worse is my husbands(Paul)life depends on it. See he has pancreatitis.

And every time he eats meat he goes into a severe attack! Not good. So

I did some research and that was when I realized how much a vegan life

would benifit us and our children. I never realized that the food we

were eating was literally taking years off our lives! So the point

please HELP US!!!

Guest guest

Hi Jordan,

One place to start is with good recipes. The fat free vegan site has

many. You might also check out some cook books from your local

library. I recommend, to help ease the transition, " The Vegetarian Meat

and Potatoes " cookbook by Robin Robertson. Most recipes are vegan. I

also recommend " How it all Vegan " by Sarah Kramer and Tonya (I cannot

recall the last name and my copy is not here right now), as well as

" Vegan with a Vengence " by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Take care,

Aly

jorpa99 wrote:

>Hi everyone my name is jordan. I am new to the whole vegan lifestyle

>and am in desprate need of all the support I can get. I have always

>been a meat and taters kinda gal and have never been taught any

>diffrent. Now at almost 26 my intire world is changing no meat no

>dairy no animal fat at all!!!! So this is tweaking me a little. Whats

>worse is my husbands(Paul)life depends on it. See he has pancreatitis.

>And every time he eats meat he goes into a severe attack! Not good. So

>I did some research and that was when I realized how much a vegan life

>would benifit us and our children. I never realized that the food we

>were eating was literally taking years off our lives! So the point

>please HELP US!!!

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Jordan,

Does your husband want to be vegan? My husband did not want to, but since my daughter and I are vegan and my boys have left for college, I do not purchase any non vegan products except his salmon. So, we he goes out with our sons they eat meat, but we have a vegan home. Even my dogs are going veggie. I think it is harder with cats and I have not gone there yet.

This is what I feed my husband:

smoothies for breakfast (he makes peanut butter toast and cereal with soy milk in addition to smoothie)

peanut butter jelly for lunch, with fruit, baby carrots and vegan protein bars or granola bars

spaghetti or boca burger for dinner (barbecue sauce or vegan home made thousand island dressing to have variety)

with a green salad

Although he is not totally vegan, I feel better feeding him this. He had Malignant Melanoma previously and I like to think I am contributing to better health for both of us as a preventative measure by eating healthier.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

Sincerely,

Maureen :)

Guest guest

Yes he doesnt have a choice. He has pancreatitis. Its basically change your lifestyle of die! He is also not allowed simple carbs such as white bread pasta and rice. No caffine and absolutley no alcohol or nicotine of any kind. He is still smoking but we can work on that the most important issue right now is finding vegan recipieces that he will eat. I cant wait to try the bean and veggie stew. Oh and he also has to be careful of sodas and spicy gassy foods! Its alot to change all at once but were trying. I thank God for sites like fatfreevegan.com. The web is so awsome I dont know how I would figure this out on my own!--- On Fri, 6/13/08, maureen smith <maureensgardengrotto wrote:

maureen smith <maureensgardengrottoRe: new to vegan Date: Friday, June 13, 2008, 5:59 PM

Hi Jordan,

Does your husband want to be vegan? My husband did not want to, but since my daughter and I are vegan and my boys have left for college, I do not purchase any non vegan products except his salmon. So, we he goes out with our sons they eat meat, but we have a vegan home. Even my dogs are going veggie. I think it is harder with cats and I have not gone there yet.

smoothies for breakfast (he makes peanut butter toast and cereal with soy milk in addition to smoothie)

peanut butter jelly for lunch, with fruit, baby carrots and vegan protein bars or granola bars

spaghetti or boca burger for dinner (barbecue sauce or vegan home made thousand island dressing to have variety)

with a green salad

Although he is not totally vegan, I feel better feeding him this. He had Malignant Melanoma previously and I like to think I am contributing to better health for both of us as a preventative measure by eating healthier.

Sincerely,

Guest guest

Jordan

We only use whole grain pasta at our house. Is he allowed to have that? They say the cooked tomatoes are especially good for the male prostate. I understand how pancreatitis is and important clean living is. For example, I believe diet is extremely important. My husband usually eats baby carrots for lunch and the vitamin A is supposed to relevant to avoiding cancer as far as the medical studies I have read in pursuit of my degree in Health Education. Bon Appetit!

Maureen

Jordan Sims <jorpa99 Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 11:46:36 AMRe: new to vegan

Yes he doesnt have a choice. He has pancreatitis. Its basically change your lifestyle of die! He is also not allowed simple carbs such as white bread pasta and rice. No caffine and absolutley no alcohol or nicotine of any kind. He is still smoking but we can work on that the most important issue right now is finding vegan recipieces that he will eat. I cant wait to try the bean and veggie stew. Oh and he also has to be careful of sodas and spicy gassy foods! Its alot to change all at once but were trying. I thank God for sites like fatfreevegan. com. The web is so awsome I dont know how I would figure this out on my own!--- On Fri, 6/13/08, maureen smith <maureensgardengrott o wrote:

maureen smith <maureensgardengrott oRe: new to veganFriday, June 13, 2008, 5:59 PM

Hi Jordan,

with a green salad

Sincerely,

Guest guest

Welcome, Jordan. I'm reading these posts a bit late so don't know if anyone has recommended Dr. McDougall's site for recipes. He has tons of them on there which can be accessed through his newsletter achives: http://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletter/archive.html. Also from his home page you can access the FREE program on the left column, one screen page down. He walks you through how to regain your health. Gives a list of healthy foods, a menu plan with some recipes. You can also check out his recipe books at your local library or through inter-library loan. I like to up the spices of some of the recipes. Just our personal taste. Other than that, the recipes are

delicious and easy to prepare. My husband was a "meat and potatoes" guy for years. And now he loves eating the McDougall recipes. This link, that was posted on here recently, has some tasty recipes too: http://www.judgerc.org/Nutrition/Recipes/cholesterol.html. I know you're not looking specifically for recipes for the heart. Yet you might as well start with some recipes from the get-go that are not only delicious but are good for the heart too. Going vegan helps with lots of health issues, going no added fat REALLY helps. The good doctors, John McDougall, Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, and others can explain why much better than I. So I recommend reading their literature. Here's the link to a .pdf file that you can print off for yourself. It's filled with some delicious breakfast, main dish, soups and stews, salads and sides, salad dressing and dips,

and dessert recipes that can get you started right off the bat: http://www.nealbarnard.org/pdfs/Diabetes_Recipes.pdf.Best wishes to you and your husband,Marthajorpa99 <jorpa99 Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 1:15:33 PM new to veganHi everyone my name is jordan. I am new to the whole vegan lifestyle

and am in desprate need of all the support I can get. I have always

been a meat and taters kinda gal and have never been taught any

diffrent. Now at almost 26 my intire world is changing no meat no

dairy no animal fat at all!!!! So this is tweaking me a little. Whats

worse is my husbands(Paul) life depends on it. See he has pancreatitis.

And every time he eats meat he goes into a severe attack! Not good. So

I did some research and that was when I realized how much a vegan life

would benifit us and our children. I never realized that the food we

were eating was literally taking years off our lives! So the point

please HELP US!!!

Guest guest

, " jorpa99 " <jorpa99 wrote:

>

> Hi everyone my name is jordan. I am new to the whole vegan lifestyle

> and am in desprate need of all the support I can get.

Hi Jordan, Welcome to this group. I'm sorry you husband has

pancreatitis. I am diabetic myself and found that the vegan lifestyle

was best for me. I was on diabetes & cholesterol meds, but was able to

go off of them. I have been vegan almost 4 years now and so far so

good. It is a difficult transition and now with the price of fresh

vegetables going up I suggest you buy locally from your farmer's

markets or grown your own.

You will be surprised how many things you can find that is vegan. Keep

your chin up. It takes awhile, but it is worthwhile.

Blessings to you and your family,

Judy

>