Serving Size: 2 TB

Servings Per Container: 8

Calories: 85

Calories From Fat: 45

Total Fat: 5g

Saturated Fat: 2g

Well, over 50% of calories from fat... it's essentially whipped soybean oil,

tofu, soy protein, sugar, lactic acid, locust bean, guar and carrageenan gums,

salt (160 mg per serving, 60 mg more than " real " Philadelphia Cream Cheese), and

mono and diglycerides.

Personally, I wouldn't call it a whole food, and even more so, a " better "

low-fat vegan alternative to cream cheese.

I was curious about " partially hydrogenated soybean oil " and found this

interesting statement:

" Worse, most partially hydrogenated oil is partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

That's a problem, because soybean oil depresses the thyroid--which lowers your

energy levels, makes you feel less like exercising, and generally makes you

fatter! "

The above quote from:

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html

Yeah, " partially hydrogenated oil " technically may not be a Trans Fat, but it's

real close.

Here's a tofu cream cheese with 7 variations (made from 1% Nori Tofu) that has

ingredients you can pronounce and don't come from a laboratory:

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/condiments/tofu-cream-cheese

FYI, Mark

http://www.soulveggie.com

Guest guest

I agree with you, Mark about the Tofutti products (will wonders never cease? LOL). I was going to recommend to the person who wrote about consuming Tofutti "cream cheese" that Tofutti is probably never a great product to consume. I mentioned to Dr. Reed Mangels, RD. Ph.D. years ago when Tofutti came out with their ice soy that I ate it from time-to-time. She said it was pure junk and strongly cautioned me against consuming it. When I looked into it and subsequently into other products Tofutti made, the same held true - it is pure junk. It is better to make your own "cream cheesesour cream", etc... than it is to consume Tofutti. There are plenty of recipes floating around the web for these products and I'm sure there are others on this list who have their favorite recipes for such things. I don't eat them so I can't provide tried and true recipes for them but most likely someone can.

I mean no disrespect, however the truth of the matter concerning soy and thyroid function, Mark is that soy only depresses the thyroid if you are already low in iodine. Soy has gotten a bad rap as it relates to thyroid issues. I spoke in length to my endocrinologist about this since I have severely hypothyroidism (have had since before I became vegan and before soy products were anywhere near being part of my diet. It is hereditary in my family - mother, both brothers, sister, and me all have it). He stated I had no worries about consuming soy. Believe me, with the problem I have my thyroid, if he thought for an instance that it would impact its function to eat soy products, he would have said so immediately. I have read and researched this issue since Kaayla Daniels came out with her smear campaign backed by the Weston A. Price Foundation against soy. Check out the info on vrg.org. When I tried to go Synthroid free and manage my thyroid via diet, I found my thyroid levels did not change for the worse from when I started trying to manage it via diet throughout my attempt and I ate soy during that time so even without Synthroid, the soy had no impact on my thyroid. Unfortunately for me, diet control for this did not work and I am back on Synthroid. My children also consume soy and their energy levels are phenomenal! FWIW, there is info now going around now that lettuce causes sluggish thyroids. It is also said, albeit not loudly that cruciferous vegetables cause sluggish thyroids too. Hmmmm, I wonder how far that will go since lettuce and cruciferous vegetables are not direct threats to the dairy or meat industries.

God's Peace,

Gayle

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Mark Sutton

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:30 PM

Tofutti "Better Than Cream Cheese" & Recipe

From the Tofutti website:Ingredients: water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, buncha other stuff (including potassium sorbate... yum!)Serving Size: 2 TBServings Per Container: 8Calories: 85Calories From Fat: 45Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gWell, over 50% of calories from fat... it's essentially whipped soybean oil, tofu, soy protein, sugar, lactic acid, locust bean, guar and carrageenan gums, salt (160 mg per serving, 60 mg more than "real" Philadelphia Cream Cheese), and mono and diglycerides.Personally, I wouldn't call it a whole food, and even more so, a "better" low-fat vegan alternative to cream cheese.I was curious about "partially hydrogenated soybean oil" and found this interesting statement:"Worse, most partially hydrogenated oil is partially hydrogenated soybean oil. That's a problem, because soybean oil depresses the thyroid--which lowers your energy levels, makes you feel less like exercising, and generally makes you fatter!"The above quote from:http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.htmlYeah, "partially hydrogenated oil" technically may not be a Trans Fat, but it's real close.Here's a tofu cream cheese with 7 variations (made from 1% Nori Tofu) that has ingredients you can pronounce and don't come from a laboratory:http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/condiments/tofu-cream-cheeseFYI, Markhttp://www.soulveggie.com

Guest guest

On 6/17/08, Mark Sutton <msutton wrote:

>

> Here's a tofu cream cheese with 7 variations (made from 1% Nori Tofu)

>that has ingredients you can pronounce and don't come from a laboratory:

>

> http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/condiments/tofu-cream-cheese

Thank you! I haven't bought Tofutti because the price for it out here

in the boonies is outrageous, but looking at the label now, I

definitely don't want it!

I can't wait to try the recipes you linked to! You are so awesome, Mark; thanks!

Sparrow

Guest guest

On 6/17/08, Gayle <dilemma5 wrote:

>

> I mean no disrespect, however the truth of the matter concerning

> soy and thyroid function, Mark is that soy only depresses the

> thyroid if you are already low in iodine. Soy has gotten a bad rap

> as it relates to thyroid issues.

Remember, though, that there's a BIG difference between soy foods and

partially hydrogenated soybean oil. It's like saying that corn has

gotten a bad rap because of the things people say about high fructose

corn syrup. Corn is good food. Soy is good food. But the processed

garbages made out of both of them and put in almost every convenience

food in the supermarket is a crime against nature and humanity!

Sparrow

Guest guest

This is very true, Sparrow but that is not what I read Mark to say. What I read was that, "soybean oil depresses the thyroid". I didn't get that he was talking about partially hydrogenated soybean oil because that is not what he wrote. Even that doesn't suppress the thyroid, however anything partially hydrogenated is just bad news all the way around - no matter what is being hydrogenated.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Sparrow R Jones

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:09 PM

Re: Tofutti "Better Than Cream Cheese" & Recipe

On 6/17/08, Gayle <dilemma5 (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:>> I mean no disrespect, however the truth of the matter concerning> soy and thyroid function, Mark is that soy only depresses the> thyroid if you are already low in iodine. Soy has gotten a bad rap> as it relates to thyroid issues.Remember, though, that there's a BIG difference between soy foods andpartially hydrogenated soybean oil. It's like saying that corn hasgotten a bad rap because of the things people say about high fructosecorn syrup. Corn is good food. Soy is good food. But the processedgarbages made out of both of them and put in almost every conveniencefood in the supermarket is a crime against nature and humanity!Sparrow

Guest guest

The website info must be outdated, as the container says " Non-

hydrogenated " in big letters right on the lid, and the ingredient list

shows no hydrogenated oils. However, that still doesn't make it a good

product to use regularly, and I appreciate your comments very much!

, Mark Sutton <msutton wrote:

>

> From the Tofutti website:

>

> Ingredients: water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, buncha other

stuff (including potassium sorbate... yum!)

>

Guest guest

You know, while I was making dinner tonight, I thought back to the posts about the Tofutti cream cheese and remembered that there is a non-hydrogenated version as well. My mom uses it when she can find it as it isn't that readily available in my neck of the woods. From what she says, the non-hydrogenated clearly states that it is on the packaging.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

bigoldog

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:23 PM

The website info must be outdated, as the container says "Non-hydrogenated" in big letters right on the lid, and the ingredient list shows no hydrogenated oils. However, that still doesn't make it a good product to use regularly, and I appreciate your comments very much! , Mark Sutton <msutton wrote:>> From the Tofutti website:> > Ingredients: water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, buncha other stuff (including potassium sorbate... yum!)>

Guest guest

I really do not know what aspect of soy can depress the thyroid, but there is info out there that it will in some people. I eat soy rarely in response to this info.

Janet

-

Sparrow R Jones

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:09 PM

On 6/17/08, Gayle <dilemma5 (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:>> I mean no disrespect, however the truth of the matter concerning> soy and thyroid function, Mark is that soy only depresses the> thyroid if you are already low in iodine. Soy has gotten a bad rap> as it relates to thyroid issues.Remember, though, that there's a BIG difference between soy foods andpartially hydrogenated soybean oil. It's like saying that corn hasgotten a bad rap because of the things people say about high fructosecorn syrup. Corn is good food. Soy is good food. But the processedgarbages made out of both of them and put in almost every conveniencefood in the supermarket is a crime against nature and humanity!Sparrow

Guest guest

I am very well aware that there is info that says soy is bad. The important thing when reading this research is to find the source of the info and find out who funded that research. In Kaala Daniels case, it was the Weston A. Price Foundation. This is an organization that avidly supports and has interest in the dairy and cattle industry. She was funded by and paid by this foundation. Funny how not much was said about how bad soy was until her book came out years ago.

Any food can be bad for a person if that's all their diet is based on to meet nutritional needs. It has always beent he case that moderation is the key in anything we consume and that a variety of foods is needed to acquire good nutrition.

God's Peace, Gayle

Janet Coe Hammond Jun 18, 2008 12:59 AM Re: Tofutti "Better Than Cream Cheese" & Recipe

I really do not know what aspect of soy can depress the thyroid, but there is info out there that it will in some people. I eat soy rarely in response to this info.

Janet

-

Sparrow R Jones

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:09 PM

God's Peace,

Gayle

"Example isn't another way to teach, it is the only way to teach." ~~ Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)