IndiaDivine.org

Ten Super Foods to Fuel and Protect the Brain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Cool list... although, personally, I'd omit the " Tuna " and " Salmon " to replace

with " Walnuts/Flaxseeds " (Omega-3) and Kale/Chard.

Best, Mark

Guest guest

I am curious about kale and chard. Do tell!On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Mark Sutton <msutton wrote:

Cool list... although, personally, I'd omit the " Tuna " and " Salmon " to replace with " Walnuts/Flaxseeds " (Omega-3) and Kale/Chard.

Best, Mark

-- Georgette Nicolaidesblogcritics.org/writer/gettehttp://www.myspace.com/vegfestsyracuse

Guest guest

On 6/21/08, georgetten <georgetten wrote:

>

> I am curious about kale and chard. Do tell!

I can't say what Mark had in mind but I believe you should eat kale,

chard, or similar dark green leafies every day. The mantra is " beans

and greens " because that combo will give you protein, calcium, and

iron - three big powerhouse nutrients and ones that some will swear

you can't possibly get without meat and dairy. Of course there's all

kinds of other goodies there like fiber and vitamins as well. My

understanding is that spinach doesn't count in the beans and greens

because the oxalic acid makes it very different nutritionally. Still a

great thing to eat, but not part of the daily beans and greens you

should be chomping on.

Sparrow

Guest guest

I think raw spinach in salads is fine. And I found a way to juice it. I put it in my high powered blender with water and then strain it with a plastic coffee filter strainer from the grocery store and add it to my carrot juice. But, I would not eat cooked spinach because the oxalyic sp? acid will build up in your system and cause health problems.

Maureen

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:26:00 PMRe: re: Ten Super Foods to Fuel and Protect the Brain

On 6/21/08, georgetten <georgetten (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:>> I am curious about kale and chard. Do tell!I can't say what Mark had in mind but I believe you should eat kale,chard, or similar dark green leafies every day. The mantra is "beansand greens" because that combo will give you protein, calcium, andiron - three big powerhouse nutrients and ones that some will swearyou can't possibly get without meat and dairy. Of course there's allkinds of other goodies there like fiber and vitamins as well. Myunderstanding is that spinach doesn't count in the beans and greensbecause the oxalic acid makes it very different nutritionally. Still agreat thing to eat, but not part of the daily beans and greens youshould be chomping

on.Sparrow

Guest guest

I may be wrong, but I thought that raw spinach also contained oxalic acid?...On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 1:45 PM, maureen smith <maureensgardengrotto wrote:

I think raw spinach in salads is fine. And I found a way to juice it. I put it in my high powered blender with water and then strain it with a plastic coffee filter strainer from the grocery store and add it to my carrot juice. But, I would not eat cooked spinach because the oxalyic sp? acid will build up in your system and cause health problems.

Maureen

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose

Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:26:00 PMRe: re: Ten Super Foods to Fuel and Protect the Brain

On 6/21/08, georgetten <georgetten (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:>> I am curious about kale and chard. Do tell!I can't say what Mark had in mind but I believe you should eat kale,

chard, or similar dark green leafies every day. The mantra is " beansand greens " because that combo will give you protein, calcium, andiron - three big powerhouse nutrients and ones that some will swear

you can't possibly get without meat and dairy. Of course there's allkinds of other goodies there like fiber and vitamins as well. Myunderstanding is that spinach doesn't count in the beans and greens

because the oxalic acid makes it very different nutritionally. Still agreat thing to eat, but not part of the daily beans and greens youshould be chomping

on.Sparrow

-- Georgette Nicolaidesblogcritics.org/writer/gettehttp://www.myspace.com/vegfestsyracuse