IndiaDivine.org

In defense of tvp...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Okay, I realize that I am clearly in the minority here, but I actually like tvp! Call me crazy, but...

It's not something I eat very often, but I like a handful in my chili for a little texture. The main thing I make with tvp, however, is a Vegetarian "Meat Loaf". Everyone in my family loves it, including my meat-eating husband.

The recipe is in "No More Bull" by Howard Lyman, and the recipe itself is reprinted from "The Fiber for Life Cookbook" by Bryanna Clark Grogan. I don't think I'm allowed to post the recipe here, but it's quick, easy and really, very delicious.

Believe it, or not....

CherylGas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Guest guest

Nah, I like it too. :) Makes for good chili.I also have seen it paired with tofu in a mock tuna recipe.On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM, <merlotone wrote:

Okay, I realize that I am clearly in the minority here, but I actually like tvp! Call me crazy, but...

It's not something I eat very often, but I like a handful in my chili for a little texture. The main thing I make with tvp, however, is a Vegetarian " Meat Loaf " . Everyone in my family loves it, including my meat-eating husband.

The recipe is in " No More Bull " by Howard Lyman, and the recipe itself is reprinted from " The Fiber for Life Cookbook " by Bryanna Clark Grogan. I don't think I'm allowed to post the recipe here, but it's quick, easy and really, very delicious.

Believe it, or not....

-- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

i hear ya sister! i don't eat it often either but also have a nice loaf recipefrom La Dolce Vegan. I prefer the granules, which I buy from an Indian food store. Our food coop only has the large chunks. I find these loathsome.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM, <merlotone wrote:

It's not something I eat very often, but I like a handful in my chili for a little texture. The main thing I make with tvp, however, is a Vegetarian " Meat Loaf " . Everyone in my family loves it, including my meat-eating husband.

The recipe is in " No More Bull " by Howard Lyman, and the recipe itself is reprinted from " The Fiber for Life Cookbook " by Bryanna Clark Grogan. I don't think I'm allowed to post the recipe here, but it's quick, easy and really, very delicious.

Believe it, or not....

Cheryl

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

-- Georgette Nicolaidesblogcritics.org/writer/gettehttp://www.myspace.com/vegfestsyracuse

Guest guest

Hi Cheryl

I like TVP too. Guilt and fat free protien.

We use it in tacos, sloppy joes, spaghetti, and meatless loaf. My

omnivore husband doesn't mind it a bit. When I get a free weekend, Im

going to try that seitan sausage idea from Everyday Dish, and add some

TVP in for texture.

Another thing its really good in is To-Joe's Special-

Scrambled Tofu, onions, mushrooms, spinach and some TVP with sausage

seasonings mixed in the soak water.

It is what it is, a simple quick-to-cook meal booster when you don't

feel that imaginative. My only concern is finding some labled organic.

I fear that much of the TVP on the market is GMO....

Other than that, its handy stuff. and fat free,

lc carol

merlotone wrote:

Okay, I realize that I am clearly in the minority here, but I

actually like tvp! Call me crazy, but...

It's not something I eat very often, but I like a handful in my

chili for a little texture. The main thing I make with tvp, however,

is a Vegetarian "Meat Loaf". Everyone in my family loves it, including

my meat-eating husband.

The recipe is in "No More Bull" by Howard Lyman, and the recipe

itself is reprinted from "The Fiber for Life Cookbook" by Bryanna Clark

Grogan. I don't think I'm allowed to post the recipe here, but it's

quick, easy and really, very delicious.

Believe it, or not....

Cheryl

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL

Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Guest guest

I use TVP as the basis for my bolognese sauce for pasta - 1 part red split lentils to 2 parts TVP granules. The lentils add flavor while the TVP gives bulk and texture. I really don't mind it at all, and for those dieters following the Slimming World plan, it's status as a 'free' food means you can use it without limit. But that's about all I use it for - I prefer lentils for shepherds' pie, burgers, etc...Daria--- On Thu, 26/6/08, georgetten <georgetten wrote:georgetten <georgettenRe: In defense of tvp... Date: Thursday, 26 June, 2008, 3:21 AM

i hear ya sister! i don't eat it often either but also have a nice loaf recipefrom La Dolce Vegan. I prefer the granules, which I buy from an Indian food store. Our food coop only has the large chunks. I find these loathsome.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM, <merlotone (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

It's not something I eat very often, but I like a handful in my chili for a little texture. The main thing I make with tvp, however, is a Vegetarian "Meat Loaf". Everyone in my family loves it, including my meat-eating husband.

The recipe is in "No More Bull" by Howard Lyman, and the recipe itself is reprinted from "The Fiber for Life Cookbook" by Bryanna Clark Grogan. I don't think I'm allowed to post the recipe here, but it's quick, easy and really, very delicious.

Believe it, or not....

Cheryl

-- Georgette Nicolaidesblogcritics. org/writer/ gettehttp://www.myspace. com/vegfestsyrac use

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Daria, using lentils as a base as you described below sounds interesting.... and cheap!

Can you refer me to any recipes, or post (especially!) the shepherd's pie here?

thx in advance,

georgette

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:58 AM, daria james <wrongasaurus wrote:

I use TVP as the basis for my bolognese sauce for pasta - 1 part red split lentils to 2 parts TVP granules. The lentils add flavor while the TVP gives bulk and texture. I really don't mind it at all, and for those dieters following the Slimming World plan, it's status as a 'free' food means you can use it without limit. But that's about all I use it for - I prefer lentils for shepherds' pie, burgers, etc...

Daria--- On Thu, 26/6/08, georgetten <georgetten wrote:

georgetten <georgettenRe: In defense of tvp...

Thursday, 26 June, 2008, 3:21 AM

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM, <merlotone (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

Believe it, or not....

Cheryl

-- Georgette Nicolaidesblogcritics. org/writer/ gette

http://www.myspace. com/vegfestsyrac use

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Georgette Nicolaides

blogcritics.org/writer/gettehttp://www.myspace.com/vegfestsyracuse

Guest guest

> My only concern is finding some labled organic. I

> fear that much of the TVP on the market is GMO....

The Mail Order Catalog

http://www.healthy-eating.com

has organic ones.

You can't tell by the web site's store, so you'd be better off asking

for a paper catalog with all the descriptions of the items sold.

Sue in NJ

Guest guest

I have tended to stay away from it because i thought it was all made

by monsanto, perhaps there are other agri-businesses making it these

days? For those of us abstaining from gluten (ie. seitan), it offers a

texture that's hard to find anywhere else, would be nice to re-include it.

Tym

" Sue in NJ " <sue_in_nj wrote:

>

> > My only concern is finding some labled organic. I

> > fear that much of the TVP on the market is GMO....

>

> The Mail Order Catalog

> http://www.healthy-eating.com

> has organic ones.

>

> You can't tell by the web site's store, so you'd be better off asking

> for a paper catalog with all the descriptions of the items sold.

>

>

> Sue in NJ

>