IndiaDivine.org

Hummus Wraps

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hummus Wraps

By Heather McDougall

This is a fast, delicious, no-cook meal for those hot summer nights during the next couple of months.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Servings: variable

Spinach Tortillas

Hummus (store-bought no-oil variety, or make your own)

Shredded Carrots

Kalamata Olives, chopped

Pickled Sweet Peppers, chopped

Alfalfa Sprouts

Cucumber, diced

Avocado, diced

Lettuce, Shredded

Sriracha Hot Sauce

Prepare all the vegetables ahead of time and place in individual bowls. Let each person assemble their own wrap, placing a line of the hummus down the center of the tortilla, and then layering on their choice of vegetables and hot sauce, if desired. Roll up and eat!

Guest guest

Uh oh... Although MY recipe was not the one that was offending I DID post a Hummus Wraps recipe which includes avocado. I'm sorry about that. Wasn't thinking about the avocado being high in fat content. I'm a member of several vegetarian/vegan lists and I posted to all without thinking. Sorry Sparrow.... :(Nikita

Guest guest

On 7/2/08, nikita4animals <nikita4animals wrote:

>

> Uh oh... Although MY recipe was not the one that was offending I

> DID post a Hummus Wraps recipe which includes avocado. I'm

> sorry about that. Wasn't thinking about the avocado being high in

> fat content. I'm a member of several vegetarian/vegan lists and I

> posted to all without thinking. Sorry Sparrow.... :(

No need to apologize, Nikita!

Avocado can still be used as a " seasoning " in a low fat diet, and the

same with nuts. For example, I sometimes make a quinoa pilaf with

onions and peas and then I mix in about 1/4 cup of slivered almonds -

just enough to get the almond-y taste in there but not enough to

really make the pilaf high fat (I think it adds approximately 3 grams

of fat to the entire dish.)

Your recipe had diced avocado amongst *many* other things (lots of low

fat (tasty!) food bulk in those wraps!), easy to go very light on

(maybe half an ounce added for flavor and 2 grams extra fat), easy to

leave out. It wasn't the centerpiece of the meal, like an avocado

sandwich would be.

I even still have *some* peanut butter, but now it's more like two

teaspoons to flavor an entire sauce so I've added maybe 5 grams of fat

to the entire sauce which now has a faint peanut taste to it. It's not

the same as having a big ol' peanut butter sandwich or a bowl of Gado

Gado, though, that's for sure!

Sparrow

Guest guest

Sparrow.... are you going to try the PB2? I just ordered some (there are no stores in my area) and I'm excited about it. One of my fave sauces is peanut butter, red curry paste and low fat coconut milk. This tossed with a veggie stir fry is just SICK! And NOW with PB2, well, let me just say the low fat possibilies is making me giddy.

YAY!

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:37:19 AMRe: Re:Hummus Wraps

On 7/2/08, nikita4animals@ <nikita4animals@ > wrote:>> Uh oh... Although MY recipe was not the one that was offending I> DID post a Hummus Wraps recipe which includes avocado. I'm> sorry about that. Wasn't thinking about the avocado being high in> fat content. I'm a member of several vegetarian/vegan lists and I> posted to all without thinking. Sorry Sparrow.... :(No need to apologize, Nikita!Avocado can still be used as a "seasoning" in a low fat diet, and thesame with nuts. For example, I sometimes make a quinoa pilaf withonions and peas and then I mix in about 1/4 cup of slivered almonds -just enough to get the almond-y

taste in there but not enough toreally make the pilaf high fat (I think it adds approximately 3 gramsof fat to the entire dish.)Your recipe had diced avocado amongst *many* other things (lots of lowfat (tasty!) food bulk in those wraps!), easy to go very light on(maybe half an ounce added for flavor and 2 grams extra fat), easy toleave out. It wasn't the centerpiece of the meal, like an avocadosandwich would be.I even still have *some* peanut butter, but now it's more like twoteaspoons to flavor an entire sauce so I've added maybe 5 grams of fatto the entire sauce which now has a faint peanut taste to it. It's notthe same as having a big ol' peanut butter sandwich or a bowl of GadoGado, though, that's for sure!Sparrow

Guest guest

I noticed it has sugar. So I am passing. Let us know how you like it. ShaylaOn Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:52 AM, AmieJPMS <amiejpms wrote:

Sparrow.... are you going to try the PB2? I just ordered some (there are no stores in my area) and I'm excited about it. One of my fave sauces is peanut butter, red curry paste and low fat coconut milk. This tossed with a veggie stir fry is just SICK! And NOW with PB2, well, let me just say the low fat possibilies is making me giddy.

YAY!

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose

Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:37:19 AMRe: Re:Hummus Wraps

On 7/2/08, nikita4animals@ <nikita4animals@ > wrote:

>> Uh oh... Although MY recipe was not the one that was offending I> DID post a Hummus Wraps recipe which includes avocado. I'm> sorry about that. Wasn't thinking about the avocado being high in

> fat content. I'm a member of several vegetarian/vegan lists and I> posted to all without thinking. Sorry Sparrow.... :(No need to apologize, Nikita!Avocado can still be used as a " seasoning " in a low fat diet, and the

same with nuts. For example, I sometimes make a quinoa pilaf withonions and peas and then I mix in about 1/4 cup of slivered almonds -just enough to get the almond-y

taste in there but not enough toreally make the pilaf high fat (I think it adds approximately 3 gramsof fat to the entire dish.)Your recipe had diced avocado amongst *many* other things (lots of lowfat (tasty!) food bulk in those wraps!), easy to go very light on

(maybe half an ounce added for flavor and 2 grams extra fat), easy toleave out. It wasn't the centerpiece of the meal, like an avocadosandwich would be.I even still have *some* peanut butter, but now it's more like two

teaspoons to flavor an entire sauce so I've added maybe 5 grams of fatto the entire sauce which now has a faint peanut taste to it. It's notthe same as having a big ol' peanut butter sandwich or a bowl of Gado

Gado, though, that's for sure!Sparrow

Guest guest

On 7/3/08, Smith Family <Forgesasmi wrote:

>

> I noticed it has sugar. So I am passing. Let us know how you like it.

According to the web site, they're working on a no-sugar version, so stay tuned.

Sparrow

Guest guest

On 7/3/08, AmieJPMS <amiejpms wrote:

>

> Sparrow.... are you going to try the PB2?

I'm going to, but I have to wait because you have to order four jars

at one time and, lame though it sounds, an unexpected $16 doesn't fit

in the budget until August. (Ah, life below the poverty line. So much

fun.)

I'm hoping that they have their no-sugar version by the time I can get

some. I'm afraid I'll be getting four jars only to find out that it

sends my blood sugar through the roof. Fortunately, they have a good

return policy. (Send back three unopened jars to get all your money

back.)

Sparrow

Guest guest

rock on, rock on. When that no sugar version comes out, I'll be psyched! I always buy Teddy's no sugar no salt all natural peanut butter... I love reading the label and it says INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS. Ahhh, the simplicity of peanut butter... makes me happy.

I was a bit thrown when I saw there was sugar in PB2, but there isn't ALOT and since I love PB1 (haha... the original peanut butter) (mmmmmmm yummy) I opted for the lesser of 2 evils.

WOOT!

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:50:13 PMRe: Re:Hummus Wraps

On 7/3/08, Smith Family <Forgesasmi (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:>> I noticed it has sugar. So I am passing. Let us know how you like it.According to the web site, they're working on a no-sugar version, so stay tuned.Sparrow

Guest guest

Sparrow, yeah plus 8 bucks shipping so it ends up being 24 bucks. I split it with my vegan mom. If you know someone who also wants to try it, maybe you can order it and split the cost? If we lived near each other, we could split our order up even further. :-(

Amie in Massachusetts

Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:52:04 PMRe: Re:Hummus Wraps

On 7/3/08, AmieJPMS <amiejpms > wrote:>> Sparrow.... are you going to try the PB2?I'm going to, but I have to wait because you have to order four jarsat one time and, lame though it sounds, an unexpected $16 doesn't fitin the budget until August. (Ah, life below the poverty line. So muchfun.)I'm hoping that they have their no-sugar version by the time I can getsome. I'm afraid I'll be getting four jars only to find out that itsends my blood sugar through the roof. Fortunately, they have a goodreturn policy. (Send back three unopened jars to get all your moneyback.)Sparrow

Guest guest

On 7/4/08, AmieJPMS <amiejpms wrote:

>

> Sparrow, yeah plus 8 bucks shipping so it ends up being 24 bucks.

> I split it with my vegan mom. If you know someone who also wants

> to try it, maybe you can order it and split the cost? If we lived near

> each other, we could split our order up even further. :-(

Though it backfires if one of the people doesn't like it for some

reason (like I would give it three " glucose meter tests " and if it

failed all three, I'd want to send it back) then there aren't three

unopened jars to send back and whoever can't use it is stuck.

If all involved parties know for a fact they will want to keep it,

splitting an order is a great idea.

hmm... 8 bucks shipping. So, basically, six dollars per jar. I'll have

to think long and hard about this.

Sparrow

Guest guest

DEFINITELY make your own hummus! It is easy, and tastes so much

better. I like " A La Creamy Hummus " from the files. Simple, but

great.

Padmasanadave

" Changing the world one bite at a time... "