IndiaDivine.org

TVP RECIEPES?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello everyone!!!

I have a bag of this stuff and want to make burgers with it and have them stay together this time, last time they came out like flat ugly pancakes???? HELP!--- On Sun, 7/13/08, Susan Voisin <susan wrote:

Susan Voisin <susan Off-Topic Posts"ffv" Sunday, July 13, 2008, 10:43 PM

This is the second time I've had to say this in the last week, and since last time my request was totally ignored, I'm just going to remind you this one last time: Posts about fasting, offensive speculations upon why some vegans are fat, discussions about "cleanses," and all other messages that are not cooking related are off-topic. If they continue, I will have to put the people who continue posting them under moderation.

I hate censorship, but since we've all chosen to be in this group knowing that the discussion is limited to fat-free vegan recipes and cooking, asking that you stick to the topic is not censoring you. I really expect us all to censor ourselves. Please ask yourself before you post whether what you've written meets the group's guidelines, and if it does not, answer the post off-list by responding directly to the person, not the entire list.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Susan

Guest guest

>I have a bag of this stuff and want to make burgers with it and have

them stay together this time, last time they came out like flat ugly

pancakes???? HELP!

Unlike ground meats, you have to add a binder when trying to make a loaf

or burgers out of things like reconstituted tvp granules. Even so, it

still doesn't have a firm texture and can't be cooked on an outdoor

grill but needs something firm to cook it in, like a frying pan, or even

baked. I gave up trying to find a decent TVP-based burger years ago.

Just about every vegetarian cookbook and web site has recipes on making

veggie burgers using tvp as an ingredient. Here's an example of one I

haven't tried yet. Note it has the TVP plus gluten to hold it all

together. When working with vital wheat gluten, be careful to let the

hot ingredients cool down to room temperature before adding or else

you'll have a stringy mess.

Ortega Burgers

The Recipe (makes 4 patties)

Ingredients:

1 cup of TVP granules

7/8 cup water

1 packet of Taco Seasoning

1/2 cup Wheat Gluten Flour

1/2 cup Salsa of Choice

1 tbsp Hot sauce (like Tapatio)

Directions:

Reconstitute TVP by placing it in a microwave safe bowl, pouring water

over it, covering it TIGHTLY with plastic wrap and microwave on high for

5-6 minutes. Mix in taco seasoning, then mix in the flour, salsa and hot

sauce. Let sit for about 20 minutes. (You may refrigerate it for later

at this point if you want to.) Divide mixture into 4 equal parts. Form

burger patties. Prepare as desired. They can be baked at 350 for about

15 minutes or until just crisp on the outsides, fried (in oil or

non-stick spray) or grilled. If grilling, us a foil liner so they don't

fall apart. Garnish with onions, jalapeno, sour cream, salsa and

avocado. YUM!

Nutritional Facts: (per patty)

Calories: 167.1, Total Fat: 0.4g, Sat Fat: 0.1 g, Chol: 0, Sodium:

679.4mg, Total Carb: 15.6, Fiber: 4.6, Protein: 23.7 Weight Watcher's

Posted by jonimarie

http://justthefood.blogspot.com/2007/08/ortega-burgers.html

Guest guest

THANK YOU!!!! will try this tues, have to go get wheat gluten and taco seasoning.--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Sue in NJ <sue_in_nj wrote:

Sue in NJ <sue_in_njRe: TVP RECIEPES? Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 9:56 AM

>I have a bag of this stuff and want to make burgers with it and havethem stay together this time, last time they came out like flat uglypancakes???? HELP!Unlike ground meats, you have to add a binder when trying to make a loafor burgers out of things like reconstituted tvp granules. Even so, itstill doesn't have a firm texture and can't be cooked on an outdoorgrill but needs something firm to cook it in, like a frying pan, or evenbaked. I gave up trying to find a decent TVP-based burger years ago.Just about every vegetarian cookbook and web site has recipes on makingveggie burgers using tvp as an ingredient. Here's an example of one Ihaven't tried yet. Note it has the TVP plus gluten to hold it alltogether. When working with vital wheat gluten, be careful to let thehot ingredients cool down to room temperature before adding or elseyou'll have a stringy mess.Ortega

BurgersThe Recipe (makes 4 patties)Ingredients:1 cup of TVP granules7/8 cup water1 packet of Taco Seasoning1/2 cup Wheat Gluten Flour1/2 cup Salsa of Choice1 tbsp Hot sauce (like Tapatio)Directions:Reconstitute TVP by placing it in a microwave safe bowl, pouring waterover it, covering it TIGHTLY with plastic wrap and microwave on high for5-6 minutes. Mix in taco seasoning, then mix in the flour, salsa and hotsauce. Let sit for about 20 minutes. (You may refrigerate it for laterat this point if you want to.) Divide mixture into 4 equal parts. Formburger patties. Prepare as desired. They can be baked at 350 for about15 minutes or until just crisp on the outsides, fried (in oil ornon-stick spray) or grilled. If grilling, us a foil liner so they don'tfall apart. Garnish with onions, jalapeno, sour cream, salsa andavocado. YUM!Nutritional Facts: (per

patty)Calories: 167.1, Total Fat: 0.4g, Sat Fat: 0.1 g, Chol: 0, Sodium:679.4mg, Total Carb: 15.6, Fiber: 4.6, Protein: 23.7 Weight Watcher'sPoints: 3Posted by jonimariehttp://justthefood. blogspot. com/2007/ 08/ortega- burgers.html