IndiaDivine.org

Tofu Crisps recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I took a class at my co-op called the Vegetarian Trinity:Tofu, Tempeh, and Seitan. This is one of the recipes. I'm sharing it with permission from Liz at http://www.foodsnobberyhobbery.blogspot.com/. She taught the class.

Lemon-herb Tofu Crisps

This is my favorite tofu to make for a snack, on top of salads, or to stir into a simple pasta dish.

1-16 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed1 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon) 1 Tbsp. olive oil1/2 tsp. lemon pepper1 Tbsp. Italian herb blend (basil, oregano, thyme)1 1/2 tsp. salt2 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon pepper, Italian herbs, and salt in a large bowl. Toss tofu cubes in mixture to coat and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to overnight). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the tofu and carefully stire to coat. Spread tofu out on the baking sheet, avoiding excess marinade on the sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Then stir the tofu around and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until golden brown and puffy-crisp.Serves 1-4

Other spices suggested were garlic powder, curry powder, cumin, chili powder

**That recipe was good. I've tweaked it to what I call AWESOME!substitute lime juice for the lemon juicesubstitute 1/2 tsp. ground cumin and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder for the lemon peppersubstitute dried cilantro for the Italian Herb blendYum, yum, yum!

I've been eating 1/2 for dinner hot and then the rest cold the next day. I usually eat it for breakfast as I can't wait until lunch! It's also great on salads, it's a mix between protein and crotons.

Guest guest

Do you think these would still work without the olive oil? I mean, would they

puff up the

same, and have the flavors balanced okay? I'm assuming sticking to the pan

wouldn't be as

much of an issue if it's been lightly sprayed or parchment paper put down. I am

thinking

the " roundness " of the nutritional yeast might balance out the " sharpness " of

the lemon

(for me, when adapting recipes to make without oil, I have to make sure it's not

too

sharp/acidic after just removing the oil or else my stomach complains.)

, " Elizabeth Husberg " <chfeliz wrote:

> Lemon-herb Tofu Crisps

> 1-16 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed

> 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)

> 1 Tbsp. olive oil

> 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper

> 1 Tbsp. Italian herb blend (basil, oregano, thyme)

> 1 1/2 tsp. salt

> 2 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast

>

> Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon pepper,

Italian herbs,

and salt in a large bowl. Toss tofu cubes in mixture to coat and let marinate

in the

refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to overnight). Lightly grease a baking sheet

or line with

parchment paper. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the tofu and carefully

stire to coat.

Spread tofu out on the baking sheet, avoiding excess marinade on the sheet.

Bake for 15

minutes. Then stir the tofu around and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until

golden

brown and puffy-crisp.

Guest guest

I think they'd be fine without the oil. I just use a tiny splash. Lemon does the same thing to my tumtum and that's why I use lime juice instead. I also don't use oil or parchment paper on my baking sheet and they haven't stuck yet.

-

davis_colleen

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:27 PM

Re: Tofu Crisps recipe

Do you think these would still work without the olive oil? I mean, would they puff up the same, and have the flavors balanced okay? I'm assuming sticking to the pan wouldn't be as much of an issue if it's been lightly sprayed or parchment paper put down. I am thinking the "roundness" of the nutritional yeast might balance out the "sharpness" of the lemon (for me, when adapting recipes to make without oil, I have to make sure it's not too sharp/acidic after just removing the oil or else my stomach complains.) , "Elizabeth Husberg" <chfeliz wrote:> Lemon-herb Tofu Crisps> 1-16 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed> 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon) > 1 Tbsp. olive oil> 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper> 1 Tbsp. Italian herb blend (basil, oregano, thyme)> 1 1/2 tsp. salt> 2 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast> > Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon pepper, Italian herbs, and salt in a large bowl. Toss tofu cubes in mixture to coat and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to overnight). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the tofu and carefully stire to coat. Spread tofu out on the baking sheet, avoiding excess marinade on the sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Then stir the tofu around and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until golden brown and puffy-crisp.

Guest guest

OMG you turned it into an Indian dish with your substitutions for the recipe and that is RIGHT up my alley!!! YUM! Thanks, I will try it BOTH ways!

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Elizabeth Husberg <chfeliz Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:51:58 PM Tofu Crisps recipe

I took a class at my co-op called the Vegetarian Trinity:Tofu, Tempeh, and Seitan. This is one of the recipes. I'm sharing it with permission from Liz at http://www.foodsnob beryhobbery. blogspot. com/. She taught the class.

Lemon-herb Tofu Crisps

This is my favorite tofu to make for a snack, on top of salads, or to stir into a simple pasta dish.

1-16 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed1 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon) 1 Tbsp. olive oil1/2 tsp. lemon pepper1 Tbsp. Italian herb blend (basil, oregano, thyme)1 1/2 tsp. salt2 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon pepper, Italian herbs, and salt in a large bowl. Toss tofu cubes in mixture to coat and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to overnight). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the tofu and carefully stire to coat. Spread tofu out on the baking sheet, avoiding excess marinade on the sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Then stir the tofu around and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until golden brown and puffy-crisp.Serves 1-4

Other spices suggested were garlic powder, curry powder, cumin, chili powder

**That recipe was good. I've tweaked it to what I call AWESOME!substitute lime juice for the lemon juicesubstitute 1/2 tsp. ground cumin and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder for the lemon peppersubstitute dried cilantro for the Italian Herb blendYum, yum, yum!

I've been eating 1/2 for dinner hot and then the rest cold the next day. I usually eat it for breakfast as I can't wait until lunch! It's also great on salads, it's a mix between protein and crotons.

Guest guest

You can use olive oil spray... no calories, I've found... I think Pam makes it? I don't remember if it's vegan but I would imagine it is.On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM, davis_colleen <davis_colleen wrote:

Do you think these would still work without the olive oil? I mean, would they puff up the

same, and have the flavors balanced okay? I'm assuming sticking to the pan wouldn't be as

much of an issue if it's been lightly sprayed or parchment paper put down. I am thinking

the " roundness " of the nutritional yeast might balance out the " sharpness " of the lemon

(for me, when adapting recipes to make without oil, I have to make sure it's not too

sharp/acidic after just removing the oil or else my stomach complains.)

, " Elizabeth Husberg " <chfeliz wrote:

> Lemon-herb Tofu Crisps

> 1-16 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed

> 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)

> 1 Tbsp. olive oil

> 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper

> 1 Tbsp. Italian herb blend (basil, oregano, thyme)

> 1 1/2 tsp. salt

> 2 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast

>

> Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, lemon pepper, Italian herbs,

and salt in a large bowl. Toss tofu cubes in mixture to coat and let marinate in the

refrigerator for 30 minutes (or up to overnight). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with

parchment paper. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast over the tofu and carefully stire to coat.

Spread tofu out on the baking sheet, avoiding excess marinade on the sheet. Bake for 15

minutes. Then stir the tofu around and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until golden

brown and puffy-crisp.

---

Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .