IndiaDivine.org

review on the eggless foo young

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

ok, I made the eggless foo young for my family... the recipe was listed here a bit ago and I forget who originally sent it in, but I wanted to post my review.

My husband, daughter, son and sister all ate it. They have officially changed the name to "crack foo young" because they swear there is crack in it.... because it's terribly addicting. They got all filled up and then an hour later they wanted more... which made me laugh cause of the whole "eat chinese food and you're hungry an hour later" thing...

All joking aside, it really really came out yummy. If you like the taste of ginger, which is predominant in the "chinese-style" tofu, you'll like this dish.

Thanks again to whoever sent it in.

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Guest guest

Ok, now I have to try this - could someone repost the recipe?

Thanks,

Denise

-------------- Original message -------------- AmieJPMS <amiejpms

ok, I made the eggless foo young for my family... the recipe was listed here a bit ago and I forget who originally sent it in, but I wanted to post my review.

My husband, daughter, son and sister all ate it. They have officially changed the name to "crack foo young" because they swear there is crack in it.... because it's terribly addicting. They got all filled up and then an hour later they wanted more... which made me laugh cause of the whole "eat chinese food and you're hungry an hour later" thing...

All joking aside, it really really came out yummy. If you like the taste of ginger, which is predominant in the "chinese-style" tofu, you'll like this dish.

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Guest guest

woohoo! there it is! Thanks Sue! I really need to learn how to search those archives better... :-D

The one deviation I took from the recipe is I pan fried them with a bit of Pam so it would be crispy. I may try them backed next time but my family not let me change the way I made them. lol Everything else I followed the recipe to the letter.... thanks again! Low to No-fat food can just be sooooo AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amie

Sue in NJ <sue_in_nj Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 11:15:07 AMRe: review on the eggless foo young

> Ok, now I have to try this - could someone repost the recipe?A simple search of the archives turned it up in message number 10008:http://groups. / group/fatfree_ vegan/message/ 10008

Guest guest

I sent the recipe in originally :) I taught this at one of my vegan cooking classes a while back and one of the ladies who was there refused to believe it was vegan because it was SO much like the real thing that she felt guilty about eating it! (Even though she watched me make it-100% vegan!)Egg Foo Young was one of my absolute favorite things to eat as a little kid, and I really missed it when I gave up eggs at the age of 16.Enjoy!Eggless Foo YoungIn a skillet or wok, sauté over low heat for about 5 minutes:2 TBSP oil1/2-1 c fresh mushrooms, sliced1/2-1 c green onions, chopped1 can water chestnuts, slicedWhen vegetables are crisp-tender, mix in: 2 c fresh bean sproutsRemove from heat & set aside. Blend until smooth & creamy:1-12 oz. Package extra firm Silken (Japanese) tofu1 package extra firm Regular (Chinese) tofu4 TBSP Tamari soy

saucePour this into a bowl and mix in:Remaining 1 package of extra firm Regular tofu, crumbled 3/4 c unbleached flour3 TBSP nutritional yeast 2 tsp baking powderMix vegetables and tofu mixture together well. Spoon out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or just an oiled baking sheet), making them about 5” in diameter and approx. 1/2” thick. Leave about 1” space between each patty. Bake for about 30 minutes, flip over and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Alternatively, they may be fried in a skillet using a little bit of oil (medium heat). Serve hot over rice or noodles with Mushroom Sauce (recipe follows).Mushroom SauceIn a saucepan, add:1 tsp sesame or olive oil1 c fresh mushrooms, diced smallSauté until mushrooms are soft Add:2 c cold water4 TBSP Tamari soy sauce2 TBSP cornstarchCook over medium heat, stirring until

thickened.orthomama wrote: Ok, now I have to try this - could someone repost the recipe? Thanks, Denise -------------- Original message -------------- AmieJPMS <amiejpms > ok, I made the eggless foo young for my family...

the recipe was listed here a bit ago and I forget who originally sent it in, but I wanted to post my review. My husband, daughter, son and sister all ate it. They have officially changed the name to "crack foo young" because they swear there is crack in it.... because it's terribly addicting. They got all filled up and then an hour later they wanted more... which made me laugh cause of the whole "eat chinese food and you're hungry an hour later" thing... All joking aside, it really really came out yummy. If you like the taste of ginger, which is predominant in the "chinese-style" tofu, you'll like this dish. Thanks again to whoever sent it in. Amie P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Guest guest

Well Jenn, you are absolutely right... and in my pre-vegan days, I loved egg foo young too and it really would fool ANYONE, cause it's all about texture sometimes when it comes to food for me, and you nailed it with this one..... so BRAVA!!

Amie

Jenn <batmanusdmychina Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 2:11:15 PMRe: review on the eggless foo young

I sent the recipe in originally :) I taught this at one of my vegan cooking classes a while back and one of the ladies who was there refused to believe it was vegan because it was SO much like the real thing that she felt guilty about eating it! (Even though she watched me make it-100% vegan!)Egg Foo Young was one of my absolute favorite things to eat as a little kid, and I really missed it when I gave up eggs at the age of 16.Enjoy!Eggless Foo YoungIn a skillet or wok, sauté over low heat for about 5 minutes:2 TBSP oil1/2-1 c fresh mushrooms, sliced1/2-1 c green onions, chopped1 can water chestnuts, slicedWhen vegetables are crisp-tender, mix in: 2 c fresh bean sproutsRemove from heat & set aside. Blend until smooth & creamy:1-12 oz. Package extra firm Silken (Japanese) tofu1 package extra firm Regular (Chinese) tofu4

TBSP Tamari soy saucePour this into a bowl and mix in:Remaining 1 package of extra firm Regular tofu, crumbled 3/4 c unbleached flour3 TBSP nutritional yeast 2 tsp baking powderMix vegetables and tofu mixture together well. Spoon out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or just an oiled baking sheet), making them about 5” in diameter and approx. 1/2” thick. Leave about 1” space between each patty. Bake for about 30 minutes, flip over and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Alternatively, they may be fried in a skillet using a little bit of oil (medium heat). Serve hot over rice or noodles with Mushroom Sauce (recipe follows).Mushroom SauceIn a saucepan, add:1 tsp sesame or olive oil1 c fresh mushrooms, diced smallSauté until mushrooms are soft Add:2 c cold water4 TBSP Tamari soy sauce2 TBSP cornstarchCook over

medium heat, stirring until thickened.orthomama (AT) comcast (DOT) net wrote:

Ok, now I have to try this - could someone repost the recipe?

Thanks,

Denise

------------ -- Original message ------------ -- AmieJPMS <amiejpms >

Amie