IndiaDivine.org

what do you call yourself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Re: I JUST WANT TO KNO

I found this in my search:

A vegetarian that also eats fish is called a “pescetarian.” The term pescetarian

may be new to you but it’s used to describe a non-vegan just like “lacto”

describes dairy eating vegetarians, “ovo” describes egg-eating vegetarians and

“pollo” describes chicken eating vegetarians. I suppose there are even

lactoovopollopescetarians too.

Katy

--

Be Yourself @ mail.com!

Choose From 200+ Email Addresses

Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

Guest guest

When I first started more than 2.5 years ago I was originally ovo-pescatarian. And I used those terms--I never once called myself a vegetarian. Omgs. The only animal products I ate were fish and eggs. then I gave up the fish and was ovo-vegetarian, then I gave up eggs and later on honey. Honey I have issues eating anyhow cause of the pollen and I rarely ate the stuff anyhow, so it wasn't a loss.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM, katy929 kusk <katy929 wrote:

Re: I JUST WANT TO KNOI found this in my search:A vegetarian that also eats fish is called a "pescetarian." The term pescetarian may be new to you but it's used to describe a non-vegan just like "lacto" describes dairy eating vegetarians, "ovo" describes egg-eating vegetarians and "pollo" describes chicken eating vegetarians. I suppose there are even lactoovopollopescetarians too.

Katy--Be Yourself @ mail.com!Choose From 200+ Email AddressesGet a Free Account at www.mail.com

---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

I'd rather people call themselves that than call themselves vegetarians and vegans when they aren't.

Biggest WTF I ever ran into was a guy who believed he was vegan because he didn't eat red meat and ate only organic food. Never HEARD of such a thing, omgs.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Alice Leonard <alice wrote:

Personally, I don't like the term 'pescetarian' because it reinforces the myth that fish aren't animals and their flesh isn't meat...

Alice

On 25 Jul 2008, at 00:30, katy929 kusk wrote:

A vegetarian that also eats fish is called a "pescetarian." The term pescetarian may be new to you but it's used to describe a non-vegan just like "lacto" describes dairy eating vegetarians, "ovo" describes egg-eating vegetarians and "pollo" describes chicken eating vegetarians. I suppose there are even lactoovopollopescetarians too.

-- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Personally, I don't like the term 'pescetarian' because it reinforces

the myth that fish aren't animals and their flesh isn't meat...

Alice

On 25 Jul 2008, at 00:30, katy929 kusk wrote:

> A vegetarian that also eats fish is called a “pescetarian.” The term

> pescetarian may be new to you but it’s used to describe a non-vegan

> just like “lacto” describes dairy eating vegetarians, “ovo” describes

> egg-eating vegetarians and “pollo” describes chicken eating

> vegetarians. I suppose there are even lactoovopollopescetarians too.

Guest guest

I heard Dr. Esselstyn on the radio and I like the term he used: " I eat a plant-based diet "

What I like about this is, even if you were to throw in an egg now and then, the diet is still basically " plant-based " .

So, if I have to explain, I will just say that I chose to eat a plant-based diet.

Jo-Ann

On 7/24/08, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

When I first started more than 2.5 years ago I was originally ovo-pescatarian. And I used those terms--I never once called myself a vegetarian. Omgs. The only animal products I ate were fish and eggs. then I gave up the fish and was ovo-vegetarian, then I gave up eggs and later on honey. Honey I have issues eating anyhow cause of the pollen and I rarely ate the stuff anyhow, so it wasn't a loss.

Re: I JUST WANT TO KNOI found this in my search:A vegetarian that also eats fish is called a " pescetarian. " The term pescetarian may be new to you but it's used to describe a non-vegan just like " lacto " describes dairy eating vegetarians, " ovo " describes egg-eating vegetarians and " pollo " describes chicken eating vegetarians. I suppose there are even lactoovopollopescetarians too.

Katy--Be Yourself @ mail.com!Choose From 200+ Email AddressesGet a Free Account at www.mail.com

Guest guest

Oh wow! I wish more people would use such terms. Not a bad idea. :)

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Jo-Ann Benedetti <beigatti wrote:

I heard Dr. Esselstyn on the radio and I like the term he used: " I eat a plant-based diet "

What I like about this is, even if you were to throw in an egg now and then, the diet is still basically " plant-based " .

So, if I have to explain, I will just say that I chose to eat a plant-based diet.

Jo-Ann

On 7/24/08, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

Re: I JUST WANT TO KNOI found this in my search:A vegetarian that also eats fish is called a " pescetarian. " The term pescetarian may be new to you but it's used to describe a non-vegan just like " lacto " describes dairy eating vegetarians, " ovo " describes egg-eating vegetarians and " pollo " describes chicken eating vegetarians. I suppose there are even lactoovopollopescetarians too.

Guest guest

On 7/24/08, katy929 kusk <katy929 wrote:

>

> " pollo " describes chicken eating vegetarians.

Correction: " pollo " describes those who would otherwise be vegetarian,

who are not vegetarian because they eat chicken.

There is no such thing as a " chicken-eating vegetarian. "

Sparrow

Guest guest

What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? My sole Vegan

buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as 'vegetarian'

because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make any difference

what we call ourselves. Folks around here still think I eat way too

wierd. Yet I notice that, unlike my omnivore buddies, I never think

about dieting or losing weight. <gr>

Alen's Grams

Guest guest

Yes, it really does make a difference. It's very misleading to call yourself something you're not. And I'm sick to death of answering questions like " Do you eat fish? Do you eat cheese? Do you eat... " when it should be obvious that no, I don't eat any of those things.

Because people call themselves things they are not, they make life THAT much harder for me to eat out and deal with people trying to feed me and getting all upset because they know " so and so who is a vegan or vegetarian who DOES eat those things. And I have to tell them that they aren't really a vegan or vegetarian as a result.

A little education goes a long way. So yeah, it does make a difference.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:32 AM, alengrams <alengrams wrote:

What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? My sole Veganbuddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as 'vegetarian'

because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make any differencewhat we call ourselves. -- Email: bluerose156

AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com~Boston_Gothic

Boston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

I've heard it referred to as a " beegan " . :)

-Erin

http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog

-

alengrams

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:32 AM

Re: what do you call yourself

What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? My sole Vegan

buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as 'vegetarian'

because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make any difference

what we call ourselves. Folks around here still think I eat way too

wierd. Yet I notice that, unlike my omnivore buddies, I never think

about dieting or losing weight. <gr>

Alen's Grams

Guest guest

You're right, it can be difficult fending off people's ignorance as a vegan. I have been experiencing this all my life in other aspects of my life, too. I am a Pagan woman and when people find out, they love to ask, "so do you worship the devil or something?" Just as I am sure gay people get tired of being asked if they hit on their same sex friends and so on and so forth.

When you have an alternative lifestyle, which we do as vegans, in the USA at least, you have to fend off the ignorance of others who really don't know, understand or care about that particular lifestyle.

Just 3 days ago I got asked how I get my protein. Again. I just always take a deep breathe (inside) and know that, as someone who is a vegan living an "alternative" vegan lifestyle, there will be people who will need/want to be educated. Most of the time, it's not their fault they don't know and if I let a little bit of pissy-ness show through while I talk with them (you know from being asked the same question 1 billion times) then they may end up having a bad view of vegans. I know we don't want to be the spokepeople for veganism...I certainly don't, but everyonce in a while we're called to the plate. I know you ALL totally know what I mean.

ANYHOOO!!!

I just ate 2 small pancakes from "Vegan With A Vengeance" recipe... very yummy. I used agave nectar instead of sugar and it's great.

I had left over stir fry veggies from yesterday so I mixed them with a jar of Ragu Fat Free Light Tomato and Basil Sauce, a splash of red wine and some nutritional yeast. I threw it back in the fridge so the flavors will mix and I'll heat it up tonight and throw it over some angel hair pasta for dinner for the family and myself. I've been craving angel hair pasta lately... it must be a texture thing. :-)

Everyone enjoy your day!

Blessings,

Amie

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Blue Rose <bluerose156 Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 9:59:52 AMRe: Re: what do you call yourself

Yes, it really does make a difference. It's very misleading to call yourself something you're not. And I'm sick to death of answering questions like "Do you eat fish? Do you eat cheese? Do you eat..." when it should be obvious that no, I don't eat any of those things.

Because people call themselves things they are not, they make life THAT much harder for me to eat out and deal with people trying to feed me and getting all upset because they know "so and so who is a vegan or vegetarian who DOES eat those things. And I have to tell them that they aren't really a vegan or vegetarian as a result.

A little education goes a long way. So yeah, it does make a difference.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:32 AM, alengrams <alengrams > wrote:

What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? My sole Veganbuddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as 'vegetarian'because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make any differencewhat we call ourselves. -- Email: bluerose156@ gmail.comAIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystichttp://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Guest guest

Also Pagan and I hear ya. :D

I have a lot of fun with stir frys--really healthy ones. I use reduced sodium soy salt and lite tofu, plus whole wheat pasta. Yum!

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM, AmieJPMS <amiejpms wrote:

You're right, it can be difficult fending off people's ignorance as a vegan. I have been experiencing this all my life in other aspects of my life, too. I am a Pagan woman and when people find out, they love to ask, " so do you worship the devil or something? " Just as I am sure gay people get tired of being asked if they hit on their same sex friends and so on and so forth.

When you have an alternative lifestyle, which we do as vegans, in the USA at least, you have to fend off the ignorance of others who really don't know, understand or care about that particular lifestyle.

Just 3 days ago I got asked how I get my protein. Again. I just always take a deep breathe (inside) and know that, as someone who is a vegan living an " alternative " vegan lifestyle, there will be people who will need/want to be educated. Most of the time, it's not their fault they don't know and if I let a little bit of pissy-ness show through while I talk with them (you know from being asked the same question 1 billion times) then they may end up having a bad view of vegans. I know we don't want to be the spokepeople for veganism...I certainly don't, but everyonce in a while we're called to the plate. I know you ALL totally know what I mean.

ANYHOOO!!!

I just ate 2 small pancakes from " Vegan With A Vengeance " recipe... very yummy. I used agave nectar instead of sugar and it's great.

I had left over stir fry veggies from yesterday so I mixed them with a jar of Ragu Fat Free Light Tomato and Basil Sauce, a splash of red wine and some nutritional yeast. I threw it back in the fridge so the flavors will mix and I'll heat it up tonight and throw it over some angel hair pasta for dinner for the family and myself. I've been craving angel hair pasta lately... it must be a texture thing. :-)

Everyone enjoy your day! -- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

alengrams wrote:

> What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey?

I think that's usually the biggest flamewar on vegetarian lists. :-)

> My sole Vegan

> buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as

> 'vegetarian' because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make

> any difference what we call ourselves.

Yeah, I think it does. In your situation, I would either say, " I'm a

strict vegetarian " , or " I call myself vegan, but I do eat honey " , just

to be clear. Honey is an animal food.

> Folks around here still think

> I eat way too wierd. Yet I notice that, unlike my omnivore buddies,

> I never think about dieting or losing weight.

Neither do I, but that's because I'm perfectly happy (and nowadays

perfectly healthy) in my fat body. :-)

Serene

Guest guest

So last night I asked DH, " what is honey? is it bee poop? " (I was a bit more graphic with him, but you get the idea)

So I looked it up and found out that the bees eat the nectar, and what they vomit back up is honey. (ok...that is the cliff notes version, but basically there it is)

I think whether or one eats honey has to do with the reason one eats plants.

Is it to spare our animal companions from exploit? Then don't eat honey.

Is it to watch your weight? Maybe you should not have honey.

Is it to eat more healthful foods and avoid refined flours, sugars, etc? Then maybe honey is ok.

You decide.

I am the last one to criticize what anyone eats/doesn't eat. That is none of my business.

Jo-Ann

On 7/25/08, Serene <serene-lists wrote:

alengrams wrote:> What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? I think that's usually the biggest flamewar on vegetarian lists. :-)> My sole Vegan

> buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as> 'vegetarian' because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make> any difference what we call ourselves.Yeah, I think it does. In your situation, I would either say, " I'm a

strict vegetarian " , or " I call myself vegan, but I do eat honey " , just to be clear. Honey is an animal food.> Folks around here still think> I eat way too wierd. Yet I notice that, unlike my omnivore buddies,

> I never think about dieting or losing weight. Neither do I, but that's because I'm perfectly happy (and nowadays perfectly healthy) in my fat body. :-)Serene

Guest guest

hahahahahahaaa..... this reminds me of something Bob Torres wrote in the book "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World" by Bob Torres and Jenna Torres.

On page 100, he wrote (and I quote), "If you're ever bored and you feel like watching vegans attack one another mindlessly, pop on over to one of the vegan forums in Appendix B and put up a post titled 'IS HONEY VEGAN?' (yeah, in all caps, they'll love you even more for that). Having said just that, you can sit back and watch as vegans go insane fighting over whether using honey is a big deal or not. If we happen to be members of the board you want to spam with honey questions, we'll be among the people there telling you honey isn't vegan. Okay, so kill us --- we think you shouldn't exploit any life needlessly."

SO, the original question reminded me of something he said to do... lol. Anyway, a really good book to read.

Amie

alengrams wrote:> What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? I think that's usually the biggest flamewar on vegetarian lists. :-)

Recent Activity

New MembersVisit Your Group

Discover photos

and scrapbooking

groups in the

Familyographer Zone

Health Groups

for people over 40

Join people who are

staying in shape.

Change your life

with

balance nutrition,

activity & well-being.

Guest guest

I need that book like whoa! :D I like people with a good sense of humor.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:00 PM, AmieJPMS <amiejpms wrote:

> hahahahahahaaa..... this reminds me of something Bob Torres wrote in

> the book " Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World " by Bob Torres and

> Jenna Torres.

> On page 100, he wrote (and I quote), * " If you're ever bored and you feel

Guest guest

I always looked at honey (aka Bee Barf!) as an animal by-product in the same way as milk is an animal by-product, hence honey is not vegan, just as dairy isn't vegan. I DO call myself vegan becaue I don't consume any animal by-products in any form.(And consumption extends further than just diet). Agave Nectar is an excellent substitute for honey. Anything you use honey for works with agave. If you can't find agave nectar and need a liquid substitute, brown rice syrup is probably the next thing I would use, followed by maple syrup or molasses, depending on what it was I was making.Jo-Ann Benedetti <beigatti wrote: So last night I asked DH, "what is honey? is it bee poop?" (I was a bit more graphic with him, but you get the idea) So I looked it up and found out that the bees eat the nectar, and what they vomit back up is honey. (ok...that is the cliff notes version, but basically there it is) I think whether or one eats honey has to do with the reason one eats plants. Is it to spare our animal companions from exploit? Then don't eat honey. Is it to watch your weight? Maybe you should not have honey. Is it to eat more healthful foods and avoid refined flours, sugars, etc? Then maybe honey is ok. You decide. I am the last one to criticize what anyone eats/doesn't eat. That is none of my business. Jo-Ann On 7/25/08, Serene <serene-lists (AT) serenepages (DOT) org> wrote: alengrams wrote:> What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? I think that's usually the biggest flamewar on vegetarian lists. :-)> My sole Vegan> buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself as> 'vegetarian' because I still use 'honey'. And, does it really make> any difference what we call ourselves.Yeah, I

think it does. In your situation, I would either say, "I'm a strict vegetarian", or "I call myself vegan, but I do eat honey", just to be clear. Honey is an animal food.> Folks around here still think> I eat way too wierd. Yet I notice that, unlike my omnivore buddies,> I never think about dieting or losing weight. Neither do I, but that's because I'm perfectly happy (and nowadays perfectly healthy) in my fat body. :-)Serene

Guest guest

I've never understood the 'honey exception'! It's clearly an animal

product and it's so easy to replace with other sugar syrups. Weird...

On 26 Jul 2008, at 10:42, Jenn wrote:

> I always looked at honey (aka Bee Barf!) as an animal by-product in

> the same way as milk is an animal by-product, hence honey is not

> vegan, just as dairy isn't vegan.  I DO call myself vegan becaue I

> don't consume any animal by-products in any form.(And consumption

> extends further than just diet).  Agave Nectar is an excellent

> substitute for honey.  Anything you use honey for works with agave. If

> you can't find agave nectar and need a liquid substitute, brown rice

> syrup is probably the next thing I would use, followed by maple syrup

> or molasses, depending on what it was I was making.

Guest guest

LMAO, Omg are you serious!?? A BEEgan?? Because honey is made from

Bees, lol. I'm sorry I know this is not funny but when I saw it for

some reason I just busted out laughing! I'm sure it's true but that is

just too funny to me... thanks for the laugh. :)

>

> I've heard it referred to as a " beegan " .

> What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? My sole Vegan

> buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself

as 'vegetarian'

> because I still use 'honey'.\

Guest guest

Well, not that it's made FROM bees, but...

Yeah, serious, in that I'd heard it before.

It also elicited a laugh from me when I did,

so I'm glad to share the chuckle. :)

Another blogger calls herself a " sweegan "

because she'll have milk and/or eggs if they

are well-hidden in the occasional sweet.

That was a transition phase I went thru as well,

but now I'm more than happy to be able to refuse

treats with the vegan excuse. (Seems if you're

avoiding junk food " only " because it's bad for

you that people are all-too-willing to push it

on you with, " just one won't kill you, " or

" live a little, " etc..)

-Erin

http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog

-

Nikita

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:34 PM

Re: what do you call yourself

LMAO, Omg are you serious!?? A BEEgan?? Because honey is made from

Bees, lol. I'm sorry I know this is not funny but when I saw it for

some reason I just busted out laughing! I'm sure it's true but that is

just too funny to me... thanks for the laugh. :)

>

> I've heard it referred to as a " beegan " .

> What do folks think about 'vegan' if you use honey? My sole Vegan

> buddy tells me that I absolutely should refer to myself

as 'vegetarian'

> because I still use 'honey'.\

Guest guest

On 7/27/08, ladydee1958 <ladydee1958 wrote:

>

> I call myself a Vegan! because I only eat a plant based diet.

If you wear leather or wool, consider finding another word to describe

yourself because just as people who eat fish but call themselves

vegetarian make it harder for vegetarians to get their needs

respected, people who call themselves vegan because they eat a plant

based diet but still wear leather or wool can make it harder for

vegans to get their needs respected.

I'm not saying you do wear animal products and I'm not saying that you

aren't a vegan. But it's an important distinction. Eating a vegan diet

doesn't make a person a vegan any more than eating a diet of only

Chinese food makes them Chinese. Vegan (as a label for a person rather

than a label for a type of food) is about much more than what a person

eats.