Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello,

I am just beginning this new fatfree vegan journey after learning I

have cardiavascular disease. Quite a surprise as I have always been

careful of my eating habits, am not overweight or have diabetes. I

have also exercised throughout my life.

So, I am looking for any advice to begin as I am very determined to be

successful, but don't know where to start.

Lucy

Guest guest

Hi, and welcome, Lucy!

Good on you for being determined to tackle this with your diet.

What's your diet like at the moment? Do you eat meat and dairy products?

When I made the change from omni to vegan four years ago, I intended to

do it gradually. But I started reading about the health and ethical

reasons for veganism, and made the transition in less than six weeks. I

just didn't feel like putting those things in my mouth any more!

'Mad Cowboy' by Howard Lyman was really influential for me.

Recently, I've been listening to the podcasts on Compassionatecooks.com

- and I highly recommend them.

As for suitable recipes, you could cook something different from the

files at fatfreevegan.com for every meal for a long time, there's so

many recipes there!

Best wishes

Alice

On 4 Aug 2008, at 06:03, Lucy wrote:

> Hello,

> I am just beginning this new fatfree vegan journey after learning I

> have cardiavascular disease. Quite a surprise as I have always been

> careful of my eating habits, am not overweight or have diabetes. I

> have also exercised throughout my life.

> So, I am looking for any advice to begin as I am very determined to be

> successful, but don't know where to start.

> Lucy

Guest guest

Hi Lucy,You are not the first person to seem to have a healthy lifestyle and yet end up with cardiovacular disease. My dear dad was trim, healthy and exercised. Yet he died of a massive heart attack. You're taking the right steps though. So give yourself a pat on the back. If you haven't read it, please pick up a copy of Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn's book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Here's a link at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse-Heart-Disease-Nutrition-Based/dp/1583333002/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid=1217789659 & sr=8-2. If your local library

doesn't have it, then ask them if they could order it. In the meantime, you could request it by inter-library loan. (I'm assuming here that you live in the U.S.). The first part of the book gives a very thorough explanation of how our cardiovascular system gets clogged and why a low-fat plant-based diet is the cure. The second half of the book has wonderful, tasty dishes written by the doctor's wife, Ann. I've loved every recipe I've tried.You can also visit Dr. McDougall's website where he lists thousands of archived recipes: http://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletter/archive.html. And lastly, the site of our moderator here has wonderful recipes as well: http://www.fatfreevegan.com/. Make sure you visit her blog too (top right link on the navigation menu). It has even more recipes. To actually reverse your condition, you'll need to avoid the

ones with the higher fat whole foods. The only allowed high-fat food that Dr. Esselstyn recommends is a tablespoon of ground flax seed daily. (I would assume he'd allow chia seeds also, since they have a high ratio of omega-3 as well. Although his book does not state so). Incidentally, I've purchased most of Dr. McDougall's recipe books through Amazon's "new and used" links, at a highly reduced price! The ones marked like new really are in great shape. Just curious...did your doctor recommend you eat fatfree vegan? Or did you come to that decision through your own research? Keep us posted on how you are doing. Best regards,MarthaP.S. You said you didn't know where to start. You will now be eating legumes, whole grains, vegetables and fruit. The recipe combinations are unlimited, limited only by your taste. Lucy <mainstay.consulting Sent: Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:03:12 PM Beginning a new way of lifeHello,

I am just beginning this new fatfree vegan journey after learning I

have cardiavascular disease. Quite a surprise as I have always been

careful of my eating habits, am not overweight or have diabetes. I

have also exercised throughout my life.

So, I am looking for any advice to begin as I am very determined to be

successful, but don't know where to start.

Lucy

Guest guest

Thanks Martha for the info. I will keep you posted. I have completed my own research and have made my own nutritional decision about this. I continue to ask for nutrition advice and the doctors are prepared to help with weight loss only. I don't need to lose weight--just lose plaque.

Lucy

Martha <mnatural22 Sent: Sunday, August 3, 2008 12:27:33 PMRe: Beginning a new way of life

Hi Lucy,You are not the first person to seem to have a healthy lifestyle and yet end up with cardiovacular disease. My dear dad was trim, healthy and exercised. Yet he died of a massive heart attack. You're taking the right steps though. So give yourself a pat on the back. If you haven't read it, please pick up a copy of Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn's book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Here's a link at Amazon: http://www.amazon. com/Prevent- Reverse-Heart- Disease-Nutritio n-Based/dp/ 1583333002/ ref=pd_bbs_ sr_2?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid=1217789659 & sr=8-2. If your local library doesn't have it, then ask them if they could order it. In the meantime, you could request it by inter-library loan. (I'm assuming here

that you live in the U.S.). The first part of the book gives a very thorough explanation of how our cardiovascular system gets clogged and why a low-fat plant-based diet is the cure. The second half of the book has wonderful, tasty dishes written by the doctor's wife, Ann. I've loved every recipe I've tried.You can also visit Dr. McDougall's website where he lists thousands of archived recipes: http://www.drmcdoug all.com/newslett er/archive. html. And lastly, the site of our moderator here has wonderful recipes as well: http://www.fatfreev egan.com/. Make sure you visit her blog too (top right link on the navigation menu). It has even more recipes. To actually reverse your condition, you'll need to avoid the ones with the higher fat whole foods. The only allowed high-fat food that Dr.

Esselstyn recommends is a tablespoon of ground flax seed daily. (I would assume he'd allow chia seeds also, since they have a high ratio of omega-3 as well. Although his book does not state so). Incidentally, I've purchased most of Dr. McDougall's recipe books through Amazon's "new and used" links, at a highly reduced price! The ones marked like new really are in great shape. Just curious...did your doctor recommend you eat fatfree vegan? Or did you come to that decision through your own research? Keep us posted on how you are doing. Best regards,MarthaP.S. You said you didn't know where to start. You will now be eating legumes, whole grains, vegetables and fruit. The recipe combinations are unlimited, limited only by your taste.

Lucy <mainstay.consulting @>Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:03:12 PM Beginning a new way of life

Hello,I am just beginning this new fatfree vegan journey after learning I have cardiavascular disease. Quite a surprise as I have always been careful of my eating habits, am not overweight or have diabetes. I have also exercised throughout my life. So, I am looking for any advice to begin as I am very determined to be successful, but don't know where to start. Lucy

Guest guest

Hello Alice,

Currently my diet is based on the recommended Mediterranean Diet. I did eat meat and dairy products--especially as I have the potential of developing osteoporosis. But of course, all of that will change. I am also anxious to start and my readings have bolstered my confidence. Just went to a Health Food Store this evening and bought some staples.

Lucy

Alice Leonard <alice Sent: Sunday, August 3, 2008 12:12:46 PMRe: Beginning a new way of lifeHi, and welcome, Lucy!Good on you for being determined to tackle this with your diet.What's your diet like at the moment? Do you eat meat and dairy products?When I made the change from omni to vegan four years ago, I intended to do it gradually. But I started reading about the health and ethical reasons for veganism, and made the transition in less than six weeks. I just didn't feel like putting those things in my mouth any more!'Mad Cowboy' by Howard Lyman was really influential for me.Recently, I've been listening to the podcasts on Compassionatecooks.com - and I

highly recommend them.As for suitable recipes, you could cook something different from the files at fatfreevegan.com for every meal for a long time, there's so many recipes there!Best wishesAliceOn 4 Aug 2008, at 06:03, Lucy wrote:> Hello,> I am just beginning this new fatfree vegan journey after learning I> have cardiavascular disease. Quite a surprise as I have always been> careful of my eating habits, am not overweight or have diabetes. I> have also exercised throughout my life.> So, I am looking for any advice to begin as I am very determined to be> successful, but don't know where to start.> Lucy