IndiaDivine.org

Ice Cream Recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I love lemon.Please send me the lemon recipe.The other sounds so easy!

-

vegmomto4

Tuesday, August 05, 2003 8:48 PM

Ice cream recipe

Here is my ice cream recipe that our family and friends (veg or not) just

LOVE. I have tweaked the recipe to a point that I will not make any other

recipe.

I just keep experimenting with new flavors. If you would like the lemon

sherbet version let me know. Enjoy!

Chrissa's Very Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

1 pkg mori-nu soft silken tofu

1 c vanilla soy milk

1/2 c oil

1 c washed raw cane sugar

1 tbsp vanilla exrtract

dash of salt

1/2 to 1 c vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (chopped finely)

Combine all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in blender or food

processor and blend until smooth. Freeze. Blend again until smooth, add

chocolate

chips, blend until mixed. Refreeze. YUM :-P

*mint chocolate chip: add 1 tsp. peppermint extract to ingredients

**Ice Cream maker: Add all ingredients (except chocolate chips, add them in

the last 5 minutes of turning).

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´)

«´¨`·.¸¸.ø°Chrissa°ø.¸¸.·´¨`»

(¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

" Remember this always: Your body is not who you are, it is something you

have. Your mind is not who you are, it is something you use. Your soul is the

essence of who you are. "

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/7/03 6:05:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

veganmom33 writes:

> I love lemon.Please send me the lemon recipe.The other sounds so easy!

>

It really is sooo easy! If my kids really want some and we are out, I just

take out smaller portions and freeze in dixie cups or popsicle makers (they are

ready in no-time). Here is the lemon version (sorry I did not include it

originally, but my kiddos were bouncing off the walls). I have also used mashed

up

strawberries and concentrated fruit juice instead of the lemon for a frozen

berry treat. Hope you like it!

Just make the following changes to the ice cream recipe:

1.Omit the vanilla extract anbd chocolate chips

2.add 1 TBSP Lemon Extract

3.add 3 TBSP lemon juice (concentrated) (you can add more if you like lots of

lemon...our family likes this amount)

4.change: you don't have to freeze/blend again/refreeze. Just blend all

ingredients, throw it in a container, freeze, and enjoy!

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´)

«´¨`·.¸¸.ø°Chrissa°ø.¸¸.·´¨`»

(¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

~^~ U LaUGh B~cUz i'm diFFerEnT ~^~ || I laugh because you are all the same

||

Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion

to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty ~

Albert Einstein

Guest guest

We made the chocolate chip ice cream recipe tonight and it was a

big hit! The only change I made was to skip the oil and increase

the vanilla soymilk by 1/2 cup. YOu have made my kids very happy.

Thanks for the recipe.

Katie

• 5 years later...

Hi Gayle,

It was me who asked for the recipes. I have four going off to college so I know things can get crazy this time of year. I just "won" a Donvier ice cream maker on ebay. I can't wait to try your recipes! Thank you so much,

JudithIt's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.

I can't remember who asked for the non dairy ice cream recipes I use. To that person, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. With school starting and my kids starting middle school and me teaching at a differnet school this year than I did last year, I have been more than a bit busy. Anyway, the first three recipes are from Beverly Lynn Bennett at www.veganchef.com. The others were ones I happened upon some time ago and have been using here and there when my kids want ice soy. I watch the sugar addition because some of these are really sweet and I don't like really sweet. Fortunately, neither do my kids. Anyway, as I happent o find all the others I have stashed away, I'll post them.

God's Peace,

Gayle

"Anger or bitterness toward those who have hurt you will block your path to higher ground. You can have anger toward people or you can have freedom from people, but you can't have both." ~Vernon Howard, author

Non Dairry Strawberry Ice Cream

2 cups apple juice3 T. agar-agar flakes2 - 12.3 oz. pkgs. Mori-Nu silken style tofu, extra firm1 1/2 cups soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice1 cup unbleached cane sugar (or brown rice syrup or maple syrup), or to taste2 T. vanilla1/2 t. salt1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sliced strawberries

In a small saucepan, place the apple juice and agar-agar flakes, and simmer for 5 minutes to thoroughly dissolve the agar-agar flakes. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the tofu for 2 minutes to form a smooth puree. Add the agar-agar mixture, soy milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt, and process for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add additional sweetener or vanilla, if desired. Add the strawberries and pulse 3 times.

If you have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Or, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan, and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container, return the mixture to the freezer, and freeze until solid. Serve as an accompaniment to cakes, pies, desserts, or as a refresher.

*Variation: for a Strawberry-Banana flavor, substitute 1 mashed banana for half of the sliced strawberries. Or if you don't mind the extra fat, adding a couple of tablespoons of a mild vegetable oil to the mixture before freezing will result in a rich and creamy texture. Feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding additional flavorings, or chopped fruit or nuts.

Yield: 1 1/2 Quarts

Non Dairy Chocolate Ice Cream

3/4 cup unbleached cane sugar1/2 cup water2 cups vegan chocolate chips2 - 12.3 oz. pkgs. Mori-Nu silken style tofu, extra firm1 1/2 cups soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice2 T. vanilla1/2 t. salt

In a small saucepan, place the sugar and water, and simmer for 5 minutes to thoroughly dissolve the sugar and form a syrupy consistency. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside. Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler (over simmering water) and allow the chocolate chips to melt. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the tofu to a smooth puree. Add the sugar-syrup mixture, melted chocolate chips, and the remaining ingredients, and process for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add additional sweetener or vanilla, if desired.

If you have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Or, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, process until smooth, and transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Return it to the freezer and freeze until solid. Serve as an accompaniment to cakes, pies, desserts, or as a refresher.

*Variation: if you don't mind the extra fat, adding a few tablespoons of a mild vegetable oil to the mixture before freezing will result in a rich and creamy texture. Feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding additional flavorings, or chopped fruit or nuts.

Spiced Coconut Ice

3 cups soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice1 - 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular or lite)3/4 cup unbleached cane sugar1/3 cup apple juice1 T. vanilla1 T. cinnamon1/2 t. ground allspice1/4 t. nutmeg

In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. If you have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Or, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan, and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, process until smooth, and transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Return it to the freeze and freeze until solid. Serve as an accompaniment to cakes, pies, desserts, or as a refresher.

Another version of coconut:

3½ c. coconut milk (full fat or light, or a combination of the two)¾ c. sugar2 T. arrowroot½ t. vanilla extract½ t. coconut extract (optional)¾ c. coconut shreds or flakes

Mix ¼ cup of coconut milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the coconut milk and sugar together in a saucepan, and heat. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Stir in vanilla extract and coconut extract, if using.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add coconut shreds or flakes in the last five minutes of freezing.

Fancy Pants Vanilla

2 c. soy creamer (or any non-dairy milk)2 c. soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)1 vanilla bean¾ c. sugar2 T. arrowroot

Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the soy creamer and soy milk together in a saucepan. Slit the vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape the seeds into the milk. Drop the bean shell into the milk too. Bring to a slight boil, then lower the temperature and simmer very gently for about 30 minutes.

Remove the vanilla bean shell. Stir in the sugar, and bring to a boil again. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.

This one is adapted from the vegan ice cream base at the Vivacious Vegan.

Ingredients

1 cup of sugar

1 3/4 cup coconut milk (1 can)

3/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk

1/2 cup plain soy creamer (if you don’t have this on hand, you can replace this with soy milk–it just won’t we quite as thick and rich)

2 t pure vanilla (The non-alcoholic kind is preferable as it doesn’t inhibitfreezing, but can be somewhat hard to find.)

3 T oil (I use canola–it’s among the healthier oils, and we keepit in stock for things like vegan chocolate chip cookies andwaffles.) If you’re not replacing the soy creamer with soy milk, you can experiment with reducing or eliminating this–but it does make it a little richer!

a tiny pinch of salt (I used 1/8 tsp)

1/2 cup cocoa powder

just under 1/8 t cayenne pepper

1 t cinnamon

Directions

1. Blend the above in a blender for a few minutes so it gets really creamy.

If all of your ingredients were cold before blending, you can proceed to step 2.

If all of your ingredients were room temperature before blending, put the mixture into the freezer for at least 30 minutes or the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes to bring the temperature down. (It may take much longer than this.)

2. Put the mixture in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions.3. You can enjoy this as “soft serve” when the ice cream maker is finished or freeze it in your freezer until it gets a harder consistency.

Before anyone blasts me for the one adapted from the Vivacious Vegan (I think it was the last one), I apologize. I meant to omit that one and forgot.

God's Peace,

Gayle

I would think, Gayle, that the oil could be left out and still have a tasty product by adding water or "thick water" in place of the oil. ~MarthaGayle <dilemma5 Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:18:24 AMRe: Ice Cream Recipe

Before anyone blasts me for the one adapted from the Vivacious Vegan (I think it was the last one), I apologize. I meant to omit that one and forgot.

God's Peace,

Gayle

Hi Martha,

I'm sure the oil could be left out or substituted with another ingredient. I just didn't want anyone getting upset for sending a recipe that had extra oil added. I truly meant to delete that one from the email.

I do use this recipe from time-to-time and have used it both with and without oil. The oil adds a smoothness/creaminess to the ice soy that you don't get with substitutes. That being said, when I make it for non-vegan guests, I leave the oil in to have it be as similar as possible in texture to what they are used to. When I make it for myself, I omit it.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Martha

Monday, September 01, 2008 7:37 PM

Re: Ice Cream Recipe

I would think, Gayle, that the oil could be left out and still have a tasty product by adding water or "thick water" in place of the oil. ~Martha

Gayle <dilemma5 (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:18:24 AMRe: Ice Cream Recipe

God's Peace,

Gayle

I use a really simplified recipe, so easy, no freezer needed.

3 cups frozen fruit

1/2c or more(depending on desired texture) soy milk (if you'd like a refreshing sorbet, use 100% fruit juice - Blueberries and Ocean Spray Cranberry/Blueberry is AWESOME)

3T Agave Nectar

Whizz everything up in the food processor. My kids love it and never know it's healthy.

----

Gayle

8/31/2008 11:14:44 AM

Ice Cream Recipe

I can't remember who asked for the non dairy ice cream recipes I use. To that person, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. With school starting and my kids starting middle school and me teaching at a differnet school this year than I did last year, I have been more than a bit busy. Anyway, the first three recipes are from Beverly Lynn Bennett at www.veganchef.com. The others were ones I happened upon some time ago and have been using here and there when my kids want ice soy. I watch the sugar addition because some of these are really sweet and I don't like really sweet. Fortunately, neither do my kids. Anyway, as I happent o find all the others I have stashed away, I'll post them.

God's Peace,

Gayle

"Anger or bitterness toward those who have hurt you will block your path to higher ground. You can have anger toward people or you can have freedom from people, but you can't have both." ~Vernon Howard, author

Non Dairry Strawberry Ice Cream

2 cups apple juice3 T. agar-agar flakes2 - 12.3 oz. pkgs. Mori-Nu silken style tofu, extra firm1 1/2 cups soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice1 cup unbleached cane sugar (or brown rice syrup or maple syrup), or to taste2 T. vanilla1/2 t. salt1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sliced strawberries

In a small saucepan, place the apple juice and agar-agar flakes, and simmer for 5 minutes to thoroughly dissolve the agar-agar flakes. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the tofu for 2 minutes to form a smooth puree. Add the agar-agar mixture, soy milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt, and process for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add additional sweetener or vanilla, if desired. Add the strawberries and pulse 3 times.

If you have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Or, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan, and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container, return the mixture to the freezer, and freeze until solid. Serve as an accompaniment to cakes, pies, desserts, or as a refresher.

*Variation: for a Strawberry-Banana flavor, substitute 1 mashed banana for half of the sliced strawberries. Or if you don't mind the extra fat, adding a couple of tablespoons of a mild vegetable oil to the mixture before freezing will result in a rich and creamy texture. Feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding additional flavorings, or chopped fruit or nuts.

Non Dairy Chocolate Ice Cream

3/4 cup unbleached cane sugar1/2 cup water2 cups vegan chocolate chips2 - 12.3 oz. pkgs. Mori-Nu silken style tofu, extra firm1 1/2 cups soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice2 T. vanilla1/2 t. salt

In a small saucepan, place the sugar and water, and simmer for 5 minutes to thoroughly dissolve the sugar and form a syrupy consistency. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside. Place the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler (over simmering water) and allow the chocolate chips to melt. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the tofu to a smooth puree. Add the sugar-syrup mixture, melted chocolate chips, and the remaining ingredients, and process for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add additional sweetener or vanilla, if desired.

If you have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Or, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, process until smooth, and transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Return it to the freezer and freeze until solid. Serve as an accompaniment to cakes, pies, desserts, or as a refresher.

*Variation: if you don't mind the extra fat, adding a few tablespoons of a mild vegetable oil to the mixture before freezing will result in a rich and creamy texture. Feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding additional flavorings, or chopped fruit or nuts.

Spiced Coconut Ice

3 cups soy milk, rice milk, or other non-dairy milk of choice1 - 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular or lite)3/4 cup unbleached cane sugar1/3 cup apple juice1 T. vanilla1 T. cinnamon1/2 t. ground allspice1/4 t. nutmeg

In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. If you have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Or, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan, and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, process until smooth, and transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Return it to the freeze and freeze until solid. Serve as an accompaniment to cakes, pies, desserts, or as a refresher.

Another version of coconut:

3½ c. coconut milk (full fat or light, or a combination of the two)¾ c. sugar2 T. arrowroot½ t. vanilla extract½ t. coconut extract (optional)¾ c. coconut shreds or flakes

Mix ¼ cup of coconut milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the coconut milk and sugar together in a saucepan, and heat. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Stir in vanilla extract and coconut extract, if using.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add coconut shreds or flakes in the last five minutes of freezing.

Fancy Pants Vanilla

2 c. soy creamer (or any non-dairy milk)2 c. soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)1 vanilla bean¾ c. sugar2 T. arrowroot

Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the soy creamer and soy milk together in a saucepan. Slit the vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape the seeds into the milk. Drop the bean shell into the milk too. Bring to a slight boil, then lower the temperature and simmer very gently for about 30 minutes.

Remove the vanilla bean shell. Stir in the sugar, and bring to a boil again. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.

This one is adapted from the vegan ice cream base at the Vivacious Vegan.

Ingredients

1 cup of sugar

1 3/4 cup coconut milk (1 can)

3/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk

1/2 cup plain soy creamer (if you don’t have this on hand, you can replace this with soy milk–it just won’t we quite as thick and rich)

2 t pure vanilla (The non-alcoholic kind is preferable as it doesn’t inhibitfreezing, but can be somewhat hard to find.)

3 T oil (I use canola–it’s among the healthier oils, and we keepit in stock for things like vegan chocolate chip cookies andwaffles.) If you’re not replacing the soy creamer with soy milk, you can experiment with reducing or eliminating this–but it does make it a little richer!

a tiny pinch of salt (I used 1/8 tsp)

1/2 cup cocoa powder

just under 1/8 t cayenne pepper

1 t cinnamon

Directions

1. Blend the above in a blender for a few minutes so it gets really creamy.

If all of your ingredients were cold before blending, you can proceed to step 2.

If all of your ingredients were room temperature before blending, put the mixture into the freezer for at least 30 minutes or the refrigerator for at least 90 minutes to bring the temperature down. (It may take much longer than this.)

2. Put the mixture in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions.3. You can enjoy this as “soft serve” when the ice cream maker is finished or freeze it in your freezer until it gets a harder consistency.