IndiaDivine.org

Non-fat Flavor Absorber?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Before going entirely fat free I could sauté garlic, dried chilé peppers, and other spices in a little oil. The benefit was that the oil absorbed the flavors, which were then disbursed throughout the vegetables that were stir-fried along with it.Now, I "sauté" in vegetable broth. The problem is that the broth doesn't absorb the volatile oils from those condiments, and the flavor seems to be lost. I've even tried to use a humongous amount of garlic, but the heat of stir-frying drives every bit of taste off. Now, I add the squeezed juice of raw garlic after cooking. But, the flavor doesn't properly permeate/coat and meld with the vegetables. Also, that method doesn't work at all with dried chilés, as its the oil in the chilés that contains the flavor, and the chilés are removed from the wok after the cooking oil extracts the essential oil from them.Does anyone know of a method that will retain those flavors?Norm

I use extra virgin olive oil.

----

roysnorm

9/15/2008 11:06:55 AM

Non-fat Flavor Absorber?

Before going entirely fat free I could sauté garlic, dried chilé peppers, and other spices in a little oil. The benefit was that the oil absorbed the flavors, which were then disbursed throughout the vegetables that were stir-fried along with it.Now, I "sauté" in vegetable broth. The problem is that the broth doesn't absorb the volatile oils from those condiments, and the flavor seems to be lost. I've even tried to use a humongous amount of garlic, but the heat of stir-frying drives every bit of taste off. Now, I add the squeezed juice of raw garlic after cooking. But, the flavor doesn't properly permeate/coat and meld with the vegetables. Also, that method doesn't work at all with dried chilés, as its the oil in the chilés that contains the flavor, and the chilés are removed from the wok after the cooking oil extracts the essential oil from them.Does anyone know of a method that will retain those flavors?Norm

Becky wrote:

> I use extra virgin olive oil.

Well, but that's not a fat-free solution to the problem.

Norm, I have the same problem you do, but I'll tell you that over time,

my tastebuds get more sensitive to the flavors in foods, and to the

different concentrations that end up in oil vs. water.

Serene

I've had the same experience Serene.

I've finally done what has been suggested a million times. I bought the most inexpensive nonstick skillet at Kmart, $19. I use it only for sautee and I never raise the heat above medium high and I never use oil of any kind in it. It sautees everything wonderfully at lower heat and browns as if it was in oil. I'm not afraid of any bad things happening from the nonstick surface, and even though it is a cheap pan it doesn't warp since I use the lower heat. It has made a huge difference in my cooking. I can't believe I waited this long. I had been campaigning my old iron skillet for sautee using only water or broth and the results were always mediocre. Oh, and one more thing, I noticed I use far less liquid in the nonstick pan then I had to use in the iron skillet. For those of you who can sautee in water, successfully, in an old iron skillet my hats off to you, I never mastered it.

Russ

P.S. It also browns vermecelli for making pilaff perfectly and I've also roasted almond slivers in it very easily, no liquid in either.

, Serene <serene-lists wrote:>> Becky wrote:> > I use extra virgin olive oil.> > Well, but that's not a fat-free solution to the problem.> > Norm, I have the same problem you do, but I'll tell you that over time, > my tastebuds get more sensitive to the flavors in foods, and to the > different concentrations that end up in oil vs. water.> > Serene>

Norm,

I've noticed the same problem you have. Capaisin (to take the chili

example) is fat soluble, not water soluble. The flavor simply will

not infuse into anything water-based.

Our solution is to use a teeny amount of oil to saute chilis, garlic

and spices in the middle of the pan. One teaspoon seems sufficient.

If we've already sauteed onions or something else that can be done

fatfree, we push those to the outside of the pan. The fat is

marginal, but the flavor does infuse. I don't think the flavor from

using tablespoons of oil is any better than what you get with one

teaspoon.

Not a pure fatfree solution, but we are chiliheads in my house and

water, etc. just doesn't work.

I figure the tiny amount of oil isn't going to hurt me (I don't have

heart disease). Jeff Novick, a dietician now giving advice on the

McDougall board, talks of limiting oil to no more than 1 teaspoon per

1000 calories consumed, if I remember correctly. Most things I have

contain no oil. I easily stay well below Esselstyn's prevent heart

disease limit of 20% of calories.

If you truly want no oil you could try out hot sauces instead of

chilis. I have a refrigerator full of such sauces -- the flavor will

be different than with using chilis but you can still get a kick.

Diane

We are a spicy and fat-free family. I "dry toast" all my spices and garlic etc first and then use low-sodium veggie broth for sautee - after dry toasting. mIne the garl9ic finely and add your chiles etc in a hot pan. We prefer not to use non-stick since I'm hesitant using high heat and coatings.

Watch them so they do not burn and then go ahead and add a bit of broth. the oils are released on the surface of the chiles etc and this method seems to work. I use it with Indian recipes, Moroccan recipes etc and we spent a great deal of time in New Mexico where I learned one million and one things to do with chile.

Best of luck!

Shen