IndiaDivine.org

Question re Sweet Potato Fries

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Everyone, Below is a recipe I found on Google for crispy sweet potato fries - fat free, but not vegan.

Does anyone know what I could substitute for the egg whites and/or how to make crispy fries? They don't have to be deep-fried crispy, but a little crunch would be nice.

(I did find it helpful to bake them on a cake/cookie cooler grid on top of the cookie sheet.)

Also, can anyone tell me the purpose of the parchment paper? It is also mentioned in the recipe for microwave potato chips on fatfreevegan.com.

(http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/healthy-crunchy-three-guilt-free-snacks.html)

Thanks!His in JOY(: Sunshine :)

~ ~ ~I have been on a quest for a method for crispy baked sweet potato fries and as I usually do, I turned to Google for some advice. Since I found a lot of people were looking for the same thing, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. After reading everything I could find, I set out to try again last night. The result? Pretty darned crispy! No, not the fried, french fry kind of crispy, but certainly pleasantly crispy and definitely not the mushy mess I've had in the past. This method is a combination of ideas I found and with my own ideas, thrown in. I was especially pleased that the nice results were achieved without a drop of oil!

Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients

Sweet Potatoes

1 or 2 Eggs

Flour

Parchment Paper

Spices (salt, pepper and any of seasoning salt, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon etc)

method

1. Preheat oven to 425° F.

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. Peel the sweet potatoes (or leave peel on, if you prefer). Cut in very small " fries " (the smaller, thinner the better) and place in a large bowl.

4. Separate 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many fries you need to coat) and discard or reserve the yolks to use later. Whisk the egg whites until just lightly frothy.

5. Pour egg whites over potatoes in bowl and mix thoroughly to coat evenly.

6. Add some plain, all-purpose flour to a large ziploc bag. Add the potatoes to the bag and shake to coat evenly with flour.

7. Place potatoes carefully on the baking sheet, shaking off any excess flour, and leaving as much space between potatoes as possible. Try not to overlap any or crowd the sheet. Cook on two sheets, if necessary.

8. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and/or any other spices you like (seasoning salt, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne etc).

9. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, until cooked. Don't wander too far while they are cooking, so you can keep an eye on their progress. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your fries and they go from lovely to burnt very quickly. If you are baking two sheets, place racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and switch their position half way through baking.

Honestly, you don't need the egg whites. You can just use olive oil spray--the kind with no calories, no fat--like Pam or something for spices to stay on it.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Vegan Foodstuffs <veganfoodstuffs wrote:

Hello Everyone, Below is a recipe I found on Google for crispy sweet potato fries - fat free, but not vegan.

Does anyone know what I could substitute for the egg whites and/or how to make crispy fries? They don't have to be deep-fried crispy, but a little crunch would be nice.

(I did find it helpful to bake them on a cake/cookie cooler grid on top of the cookie sheet.)

Also, can anyone tell me the purpose of the parchment paper? It is also mentioned in the recipe for microwave potato chips on fatfreevegan.com.

(http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/healthy-crunchy-three-guilt-free-snacks.html)

Thanks!His in JOY(: Sunshine :)

~ ~ ~I have been on a quest for a method for crispy baked sweet potato fries and as I usually do, I turned to Google for some advice. Since I found a lot of people were looking for the same thing, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. After reading everything I could find, I set out to try again last night. The result? Pretty darned crispy! No, not the fried, french fry kind of crispy, but certainly pleasantly crispy and definitely not the mushy mess I've had in the past. This method is a combination of ideas I found and with my own ideas, thrown in. I was especially pleased that the nice results were achieved without a drop of oil!

Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients

Sweet Potatoes

1 or 2 Eggs

Flour

Parchment Paper

Spices (salt, pepper and any of seasoning salt, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon etc)

method

1. Preheat oven to 425° F.

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. Peel the sweet potatoes (or leave peel on, if you prefer). Cut in very small " fries " (the smaller, thinner the better) and place in a large bowl.

4. Separate 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many fries you need to coat) and discard or reserve the yolks to use later. Whisk the egg whites until just lightly frothy.

5. Pour egg whites over potatoes in bowl and mix thoroughly to coat evenly.

6. Add some plain, all-purpose flour to a large ziploc bag. Add the potatoes to the bag and shake to coat evenly with flour.

7. Place potatoes carefully on the baking sheet, shaking off any excess flour, and leaving as much space between potatoes as possible. Try not to overlap any or crowd the sheet. Cook on two sheets, if necessary.

8. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and/or any other spices you like (seasoning salt, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne etc).

9. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, until cooked. Don't wander too far while they are cooking, so you can keep an eye on their progress. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your fries and they go from lovely to burnt very quickly. If you are baking two sheets, place racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and switch their position half way through baking.

-- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com~Boston_GothicBoston_Mystic

Boston-Pagans

> You can just use olive oil

spray--the kind with no calories, no fat--like Pam or something for

spices

to stay on it.

Notice the name of the product is " olive oil " spray. It *does* contain

oil, it *does* contain fat.

The US government allows companies to call something with less than 5

calories per serving " fat free " , so the people who make these oil sprays

call a fraction of a second spray a " serving " for something like 4 1/2

calories of fat. I don't have the exact numbers on me right now but a

Google search should bring them up if you want the details.

Sue in NJ

If that was the case, then you'd see that amount per servings. Tic Tacs label theirs 1.5 calories a serving.

Honestly, unless you're drenching the poor potatoes in this stuff I don't think it's an issue.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Sue in NJ <sue_in_nj wrote:

> You can just use olive oilspray--the kind with no calories, no fat--like Pam or something forspicesto stay on it.Notice the name of the product is " olive oil " spray. It *does* contain

oil, it *does* contain fat.The US government allows companies to call something with less than 5calories per serving " fat free " , so the people who make these oil sprayscall a fraction of a second spray a " serving " for something like 4 1/2

calories of fat. I don't have the exact numbers on me right now but aGoogle search should bring them up if you want the details.Sue in NJ---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

The parchment paper allows you to cook them without using non-stick spray (which actually does contain fat). It's really important for the potato chips, which stick like crazy otherwise.

Susan

-------------Susan VoisinFatFree Vegan Kitchenhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com-------------

-

Blue Rose

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:52 PM

Re: Question re Sweet Potato Fries

Honestly, you don't need the egg whites. You can just use olive oil spray--the kind with no calories, no fat--like Pam or something for spices to stay on it.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Vegan Foodstuffs <veganfoodstuffs wrote:

Hello Everyone, Below is a recipe I found on Google for crispy sweet potato fries - fat free, but not vegan.Does anyone know what I could substitute for the egg whites and/or how to make crispy fries? They don't have to be deep-fried crispy, but a little crunch would be nice.(I did find it helpful to bake them on a cake/cookie cooler grid on top of the cookie sheet.)Also, can anyone tell me the purpose of the parchment paper? It is also mentioned in the recipe for microwave potato chips on fatfreevegan.com. (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/healthy-crunchy-three-guilt-free-snacks.html)

Pam has an unrealistic, nay impossible, serving size so that the fat

and calorie count will be zero. I wish I could find it now but it

eludes me. Somebody tried to spray it for the 1/3 second that the

company claims is a serving -- can't be done. (According to the law as

I understand it, anything less than 1/2 gram of fat per " serving " can

be labeled as fatfree, and anything less than 5 calories per " serving "

can be labeled as calorie-free.)

1/3 second (assuming it could be done) yields about a fourth of a gram

of fat. Whether the fat and calorie counts are of concern depends on

how long you spray. I've seen people spray food for a long time so

that it is positively glistening and then think it is still fatfree or

calorie free. Nope ...