Guest guest

> Yeow! I can hardly handle the crockpot. I didn't even know they sold

> pressure cookers anymore.

You can do it, Fred! :-) Have patience with yourself. Paul will tell

you.

Guest guest

I'm a long standing cook. But, I disabled now and some days I wouldn't be

able to put a meal on the table without my pressure cooker or crock pot. I

swear by both of them. They are my main standbys.

Joanie

Guest guest

They don;t sell as many as they used to. People don't cook nearly as much as

they used to . They are too busy going to McDonalds.

GB

Re: pressure cooker

> Yeow! I can hardly handle the crockpot. I didn't even know they

sold

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using

Messenger with Voice.

Guest guest

QVC!!!!!!!!! they have great pressure cookers!!!!!!!!!

Guru Khalsa <greatyoga wrote: They don;t sell as many as they used

to. People don't cook nearly as much as they used to . They are too busy

going to McDonalds.

GB

Re: pressure cooker

> Yeow! I can hardly handle the crockpot. I didn't even know they

sold

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using

Messenger with Voice.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the tip! Making veggie stock is on my 'to do' list & a pressure

cooker would be the way to go. If it ever cools off around here I want to

make a big pot of soup!

The temperature is 84 & feels like 90 @ 7:00p.m. tonight in Arkansas.

Rhoda

On 10/2/07, thelilacflower <thelilacflower wrote:

>

> Wanted to pass this info on. If you have a pressure cooker you can make

> vegetable stock quickly in it.

> Donna

> Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

>

>

>

--

Rhoda Jayne

• 1 year later...

If anyone uses a pressure cooker, I would appreciate it if you would tell me which brand and material you like. Also, if you cook beans in it, do you soak them first?

Thanks.

Daisy

I've had several brands, but the one I like best and that's lasted the longest is a Kuhn Rikon brand. Unfortunately, it's also the most expensive. Whatever brand you get, I recommend stainless steel and a second generation (non jiggle-top) construction.

I usually either soak the beans or do a quick-soak (bring to high pressure, turn off the heat, and soak for 15 minutes.) You can cook them without soaking, but I'm used to doing it this way and like the results.

Susan

-------------Susan VoisinFatFree Vegan Kitchenhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com-------------

-

Daisy Daisy

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:17 PM

Pressure Cooker

If anyone uses a pressure cooker, I would appreciate it if you would tell me which brand and material you like. Also, if you cook beans in it, do you soak them first?

Thanks.

Daisy

Daisy Daisy wrote:

> If anyone uses a

> pressure cooker, I would appreciate it if you would tell me which

> brand and material you like. Also, if you cook beans in it, do you

> soak them first?

I like my Fagor (I have a 6-liter/6-quart one), but I hear that

Kuhn-Ricon is the way to go if you can afford it. I usually don't think

to soak the beans, and they come out fine. The texture is a little

better if I soak them first, I think, but not enough to worry about.

Serene

do any of you use an electric pressure cooker?

, Serene <serene-lists wrote:

>

> Daisy Daisy wrote:

> > If anyone uses a

> > pressure cooker, I would appreciate it if you would tell me which

> > brand and material you like. Also, if you cook beans in it, do you

> > soak them first?

>

> I like my Fagor (I have a 6-liter/6-quart one), but I hear that

> Kuhn-Ricon is the way to go if you can afford it. I usually don't think

> to soak the beans, and they come out fine. The texture is a little

> better if I soak them first, I think, but not enough to worry about.

>

> Serene

>

Hi Gang -

I use two old-fashioned Presto, jiggle-top pressure cookers. I have for years. I got them used at garage sales, replaced the seals and was off and running. I think they work great and for the money, I am quite happy with them. I do presoak my beans overnight - although sometimes I top them with boiling water for 1 hour if I forget to soak them overnight.

As a question, I often hear people say they like the newer pressure cookers better. Can you fill me in on why? Do they have some features that the old Prestos don't that really make them worth the extra money.

Thanks for your insights!

Nancy Walker

Healthy Eating, Vibrant Living!

www.Veg4Health.com

Stop by for Free E-course on How to Eat Healthier

, "Susan Voisin" <susan wrote:>> I've had several brands, but the one I like best and that's lasted the > longest is a Kuhn Rikon brand. Unfortunately, it's also the most > expensive. Whatever brand you get, I recommend stainless steel and a > second generation (non jiggle-top) construction.> > I usually either soak the beans or do a quick-soak (bring to high > pressure, turn off the heat, and soak for 15 minutes.) You can cook > them without soaking, but I'm used to doing it this way and like the > results.> > Susan> > -------------> Susan Voisin> FatFree Vegan Kitchen> http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

I like mine because it's quiet and I don't have to listen to the steam hissing in order to know if it's at pressure. There's a pop-up indicator that tells when it gets to low and high pressure. My biggest problem with the Fagor I had was I was never completely certain when it was at high pressure, so I was constantly undercooking things.

Plus, as I mentioned, it's quiet, and I have an allergy to noise. ;-)

Susan

-------------Susan VoisinFatFree Vegan Kitchenhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com-------------

-

rane4rane

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:27 PM

Re: Pressure Cooker

Hi Gang -

I use two old-fashioned Presto, jiggle-top pressure cookers. I have for years. I got them used at garage sales, replaced the seals and was off and running. I think they work great and for the money, I am quite happy with them. I do presoak my beans overnight - although sometimes I top them with boiling water for 1 hour if I forget to soak them overnight.

As a question, I often hear people say they like the newer pressure cookers better. Can you fill me in on why? Do they have some features that the old Prestos don't that really make them worth the extra money.

Thanks for your insights!

I can't remember which brand I have. All I know is that it was the

best 30$ I've ever invested -next to my slow cooker! :)

I highly recommend the book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

(Hardcover) by Lorna J. Sass (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Vegetarian-Cooking-Under-Pressure/dp/0688123260/ref=\

pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid=1223555385 & sr=1-1

There are tons of recipes that are easy and super yummy. She also

lists all beans and the cooking time etc. (She recommends soaking them

prior to cooking, but you can also do a method where you quick soak

them in the pressure cooker!)

Hope that helps! :)

Well I'm a recent vegetarian convert....

I have a pressure cooker that I LOVE and have cooked many a meal in it.... I've wondered about cooking beans...

Years ago I used to make Lentils in it with tomatoe sauce and garlic.... I've forgotton how to do that....

Anyone have any ideas for how to cook in it let me know.

I purchased my fav pressure cooker from Amazon.com

I just looked and don't see mine listed. When I get home I'll check the brand and let you know.

Timothy

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something." Randy Pausch--- On Thu, 10/9/08, vluedecke <valesca76 wrote:

vluedecke <valesca76 Re: Pressure Cooker Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:31 AM

I can't remember which brand I have. All I know is that it was thebest 30$ I've ever invested -next to my slow cooker! :)I highly recommend the book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure(Hardcover) by Lorna J. Sass (Author) http://www.amazon. com/Great- Vegetarian- Cooking-Under- Pressure/ dp/0688123260/ ref=pd_bbs_ 1?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid= 1223555385 & sr=1-1There are tons of recipes that are easy and super yummy. She alsolists all beans and the cooking time etc. (She recommends soaking themprior to cooking, but you can also do a method where you quick soakthem in the pressure cooker!)Hope that helps! :)

Hi Timothy,

There are dozens of pressure cooker recipes on fatfreevegan.com. Here's a link: http://www.fatfreevegan.com/pressure/index.shtml . Be sure to to search the blog for more recipes, and notice the link for Pressure Cooker Bean Cooking Times at a Glance, which can help with making up your own recipes.

Susan

-

Timothy Snider

Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:05 AM

Re: Re: Pressure Cooker

I have a pressure cooker that I LOVE and have cooked many a meal in it.... I've wondered about cooking beans...

Years ago I used to make Lentils in it with tomatoe sauce and garlic.... I've forgotton how to do that....

I just looked and don't see mine listed. When I get home I'll check the brand and let you know.

Timothy

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something." Randy Pausch--- On Thu, 10/9/08, vluedecke <valesca76 wrote:

vluedecke <valesca76 Re: Pressure Cooker Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:31 AM

I can't remember which brand I have. All I know is that it was thebest 30$ I've ever invested -next to my slow cooker! :)I highly recommend the book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure(Hardcover) by Lorna J. Sass (Author) http://www.amazon. com/Great- Vegetarian- Cooking-Under- Pressure/ dp/0688123260/ ref=pd_bbs_ 1?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid= 1223555385 & sr=1-1There are tons of recipes that are easy and super yummy. She alsolists all beans and the cooking time etc. (She recommends soaking themprior to cooking, but you can also do a method where you quick soakthem in the pressure cooker!)Hope that helps! :)

I have the " All American " canner and love it. It is gasket-less, has a pressure gauge and is easy to use. They can be purchased all over the internet. I also put up potatoes, green beans, corn and onions with my pressure canner. The beauty of this is that dinners are ready in a flash and during power outages, voila, dinner is quick and easy to prepare.

ShaylaOn Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Susan Voisin <susan wrote:

Hi Timothy,

There are dozens of pressure cooker recipes on fatfreevegan.com. Here's a link: http://www.fatfreevegan.com/pressure/index.shtml . Be sure to to search the blog for more recipes, and notice the link for Pressure Cooker Bean Cooking Times at a Glance, which can help with making up your own recipes.

Susan

-

Timothy Snider

Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:05 AM

Timothy

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. " Randy Pausch--- On Thu, 10/9/08, vluedecke <valesca76 wrote:

Hi, one of the best things I can recommend is to go to youtube and put pressure

cooker

beans into the search. You will be amazed how much you can learn about cooking

beans this

way. One of the recipes is a lady making cuban black beans. I followed the

video

directions and it turned out so fantastically. I thought it might taste a bit

boring

because there weren't many ingredients, but it was yummy and everyone asked me

to make it

again. The lady on the video made it look easy and it certainly was. There are

lots of

videos there though, and just watching them gives much confidence in useing the

cooker.

Shell.

-

" Timothy Snider " <whitelighter1968

Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:05 PM

I have a pressure cooker that I LOVE and have cooked many a meal in it.... I've

wondered

about cooking beans...

Years ago I used to make Lentils in it with tomatoe sauce and garlic.... I've

forgotton

how to do that....

I just looked and don't see mine listed. When I get home I'll check the brand

and let you

know.

Timothy

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep

us out; the

brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. "

Randy

Pausch

--- On Thu, 10/9/08, vluedecke <valesca76 wrote:

vluedecke <valesca76

Re: Pressure Cooker

Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:31 AM

I can't remember which brand I have. All I know is that it was the

best 30$ I've ever invested -next to my slow cooker! :)

I highly recommend the book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

(Hardcover) by Lorna J. Sass (Author)

http://www.amazon. com/Great- Vegetarian- Cooking-Under- Pressure/

dp/0688123260/

ref=pd_bbs_ 1?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid= 1223555385 & sr=1-1

There are tons of recipes that are easy and super yummy. She also

lists all beans and the cooking time etc. (She recommends soaking them

prior to cooking, but you can also do a method where you quick soak

them in the pressure cooker!)

Hope that helps! :)

--

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.7.6/1710 - Release 10/6/2008 9:23

AM

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for Personal use.

SPAMfighter has removed 1900 of my spam emails to date.

Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

The Trial and Professional version does not have this message in the email

Is it the video where the lady is wearing a white blouse and uses a mortar and pestle to crush garlic?

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground . . .

On Behalf Of ShellSunday, October 12, 2008 12:08 PM Subject: Re: Re: Pressure Cooker

Hi, one of the best things I can recommend is to go to youtube and put pressure cooker beans into the search. You will be amazed how much you can learn about cooking beans this way. One of the recipes is a lady making cuban black beans. I followed the video directions and it turned out so fantastically. I thought it might taste a bit boring because there weren't many ingredients, but it was yummy and everyone asked me to make it again. The lady on the video made it look easy and it certainly was. There are lots of videos there though, and just watching them gives much confidence in useing the cooker.Shell.- "Timothy Snider" <whitelighter1968 >Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:05 PMRe: Re: Pressure CookerWell I'm a recent vegetarian convert....I have a pressure cooker that I LOVE and have cooked many a meal in it.... I've wondered about cooking beans...Years ago I used to make Lentils in it with tomatoe sauce and garlic.... I've forgotton how to do that....Anyone have any ideas for how to cook in it let me know.I purchased my fav pressure cooker from Amazon.comI just looked and don't see mine listed. When I get home I'll check the brand and let you know.Timothy"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something." Randy Pausch--- On Thu, 10/9/08, vluedecke <valesca76 (AT) Hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:vluedecke <valesca76 (AT) Hotmail (DOT) com> Re: Pressure Cooker Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:31 AMI can't remember which brand I have. All I know is that it was thebest 30$ I've ever invested -next to my slow cooker! :)I highly recommend the book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure(Hardcover) by Lorna J. Sass (Author)http://www.amazon. com/Great- Vegetarian- Cooking-Under- Pressure/ dp/0688123260/ ref=pd_bbs_ 1?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid= 1223555385 & sr=1-1There are tons of recipes that are easy and super yummy. She alsolists all beans and the cooking time etc. (She recommends soaking themprior to cooking, but you can also do a method where you quick soakthem in the pressure cooker!)Hope that helps! :)-------------------------Checked by AVG.Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.7.6/1710 - Release 10/6/2008 9:23 AM-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for Personal use.SPAMfighter has removed 1900 of my spam emails to date.Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/lenThe Trial and Professional version does not have this message in the email

There are several videos from " The Veggie Queen " - a great vegan

cookbook auther and teacher. She's a great fan of the pressure cooker.

Try this -

Shen

, " Dena Jo " <DenaJo2 wrote:

>

> Is it the video where the lady is wearing a white blouse and uses a

mortar

> and pestle to crush garlic?

>

>

> - DJ

>

> -----------------------

> Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simply

> yesterday's nut that held its ground . . .

>

>

>

>

> _____

>

>

> On Behalf Of Shell

> Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:08 PM

>

> Re: Re: Pressure Cooker

>

>

>

> Hi, one of the best things I can recommend is to go to youtube and put

> pressure cooker

> beans into the search. You will be amazed how much you can learn about

> cooking beans this

> way. One of the recipes is a lady making cuban black beans. I

followed the

> video

> directions and it turned out so fantastically. I thought it might

taste a

> bit boring

> because there weren't many ingredients, but it was yummy and

everyone asked

> me to make it

> again. The lady on the video made it look easy and it certainly was.

There

> are lots of

> videos there though, and just watching them gives much confidence in

useing

> the cooker.

> Shell.

>

> -

> " Timothy Snider " <whitelighter1968@

> <whitelighter1968%40> >

> <@ <%40>

> >

> Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:05 PM

> Re: Re: Pressure Cooker

>

> Well I'm a recent vegetarian convert....

>

> I have a pressure cooker that I LOVE and have cooked many a meal in

it....

> I've wondered

> about cooking beans...

>

> Years ago I used to make Lentils in it with tomatoe sauce and garlic....

> I've forgotton

> how to do that....

>

> Anyone have any ideas for how to cook in it let me know.

>

> I purchased my fav pressure cooker from Amazon.com

>

> I just looked and don't see mine listed. When I get home I'll check the

> brand and let you

> know.

>

> Timothy

>

> " The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not

there to

> keep us out; the

> brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want

> something. " Randy

> Pausch

>

> --- On Thu, 10/9/08, vluedecke <valesca76 (AT) Hotmail (DOT)

> <valesca76%40Hotmail.com> com> wrote:

>

> vluedecke <valesca76 (AT) Hotmail (DOT) <valesca76%40Hotmail.com>

com>

> Re: Pressure Cooker

> @ <%40>

> Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:31 AM

>

> I can't remember which brand I have. All I know is that it was the

> best 30$ I've ever invested -next to my slow cooker! :)

>

> I highly recommend the book Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

> (Hardcover) by Lorna J. Sass (Author)

> http://www.amazon. com/Great- Vegetarian- Cooking-Under- Pressure/

> dp/0688123260/

> ref=pd_bbs_ 1?ie=UTF8 & s=books & qid= 1223555385 & sr=1-1

>

> There are tons of recipes that are easy and super yummy. She also

> lists all beans and the cooking time etc. (She recommends soaking them

> prior to cooking, but you can also do a method where you quick soak

> them in the pressure cooker!)

>

> Hope that helps! :)

>

> -------------------------

>

>

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.7.6/1710 - Release Date:

10/6/2008

> 9:23 AM

>

> --

> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for Personal use.

> SPAMfighter has removed 1900 of my spam emails to date.

> Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh

> <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> ter.com/len

>

> The Trial and Professional version does not have this message in the

email

>