IndiaDivine.org

Rice milk vs Soy milk - substitutions in baking

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hubby and I were in a quandry when someone (not on this group) said that soy is not healthful if it is not fermented. So, that would mean soy milk bad, tofu good.

With that in mind, I thought I'd simply convert any recipes from soy milk to rice milk in a one-to-one conversion.

Well, I tried that Pumpkin Muffin recipe (mentioned in a previous email), but this time with the original call for soy milk. When I tried it twice before substituting with rice milk, the recipes both came out too moist and doneness took twice as long to achieve. This ended up drying and burning the outside of the muffins but without drying the inside!

This time, with soy milk, it came out perfect! (Thanks, Hinton, for confirming my suspicions). So, it was the difference in viscosity, and therefore their absoprtions, between the soy and rice milks that made all the difference.

I would normally offer the recipe, but the recipe is not fat free. It calls for 1/3 cup light oil, but the recipe makes 16 muffins, so if one divides the 16 into the 1/3 cup, it may be satisfactory for some of you who are low-fat and not fat-free.

But out of respect for the group, I'll only offer it if someone asks. And if it's a problem, then just contact me off-list at lapis.

The recipe itself is in "Lantern Presents: The Vegan Family Cookbook" by Chef Brian P. McCarthy.

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer the tidbit about the soy vs rice milks.

Rose

Question: Is tofu fermented?? I though just tempeh was fermented. And the anti-soy people I have run into onlyk seem to like edamame... but my guru likes a limited amount of soymilk an no added oil...

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Rose Lieberman <lapis wrote:

Hubby and I were in a quandry when someone (not on this group) said that soy is not healthful if it is not fermented. So, that would mean soy milk bad, tofu good.

With that in mind, I thought I'd simply convert any recipes from soy milk to rice milk in a one-to-one conversion.

Well, I tried that Pumpkin Muffin recipe (mentioned in a previous email), but this time with the original call for soy milk. When I tried it twice before substituting with rice milk, the recipes both came out too moist and doneness took twice as long to achieve. This ended up drying and burning the outside of the muffins but without drying the inside!

This time, with soy milk, it came out perfect! (Thanks, Hinton, for confirming my suspicions). So, it was the difference in viscosity, and therefore their absoprtions, between the soy and rice milks that made all the difference.

I would normally offer the recipe, but the recipe is not fat free. It calls for 1/3 cup light oil, but the recipe makes 16 muffins, so if one divides the 16 into the 1/3 cup, it may be satisfactory for some of you who are low-fat and not fat-free.

But out of respect for the group, I'll only offer it if someone asks. And if it's a problem, then just contact me off-list at lapis.

The recipe itself is in " Lantern Presents: The Vegan Family Cookbook " by Chef Brian P. McCarthy.

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer the tidbit about the soy vs rice milks.

Rose

Your basic tofu is not fermented. There are fermented varieties,

aka " stinky " tofu, etc.. But, as the name implies, you'd know it!

:)

-Erin

http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog

-

Miriam

Friday, December 26, 2008 9:36 AM

Re: Rice milk vs Soy milk - substitutions in baking

Question: Is tofu fermented?? I though just tempeh was fermented. And the

anti-soy people I have run into onlyk seem to like edamame... but my guru

likes a limited amount of soymilk an no added oil...

Oh, yeah, I think you're right, Miriam. So, then tempeh would be good and all other stuff bad. I'm not sure how much truth there is to all of that. I've decided not to worry since our vegan diet isn't flooded with soy products anyway.

Thanks for the reminder, though, about tofu.

Rose