IndiaDivine.org

Terrible Pancakes!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's one to NOT try - don't know what the guy was thinking but maybe some of you experts out there can figure out why these pancakes were terrible:1 C wheatberries (whole wheat kernels)1 T whole flaxseedBlend together in food processor with 2 C water for 2 minutesAdd:1/3 C soy flour or chickpea flourand process some more in the food processor until very (?) smooth (I could not get it very smooth, there were hunks of wheat berries still after five minutes)Then add & process all at once:1 T sugar (I used agave)2 tsp lemon juice2 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp baking soda1/2 tsp saltWe used an electric griddle as suggested in Dr. Barnard's recipe.  They came out beautifully, nice and brown and fluffy looking.  But the TASTE!!!  Geez, I had one or two bites with no-fat no sugar syrup and decided to give mine to the birds outside.  I'd rather eat plain brown rice and broccoli and give up these blasted recipes.  JT having a grumpy day on day 8 of all vegan all the timePS I'd also love the recipe for oatmeal "milk"? jennifer trumpjennifur

Hmmm....Well. maybe the wheatberries are supposed too be soaked a bit first? They will definitely blend better when they've softened up a bit. The flaxseed is probably OK to be left unsoaked, but I would have probably ground them up first in the coffee mill had I been making this recipe. Also, maybe mixing them in the blender might work better than a food processor. The blades are set up differently so maybe you'll get a better result (Blenders work great for liquid stuff - I am assuming this replaces oil, milk & eggs in a more traditional pancake recipe). I also would probably not have used chickpea/garbanzo bean flour-it has a very strong flavor and even in something savory like the faux turkey roast I make at Thanksgiving, I only use 1/4 c at the very maximum in any given recipe. Soy flour would probably be OK, as would others that

don't have that strong flavor.--- On Sat, 2/7/09, jennifer trump <jennifur wrote:

Here's one to NOT try - don't know what the guy was thinking but maybe some of you experts out there can figure out why these pancakes were terrible:1 C wheatberries (whole wheat kernels)1 T whole flaxseedBlend together in food processor with 2 C water for 2 minutesAdd:1/3 C soy flour or chickpea flourand process some more in the food processor until very (?) smooth (I could not get it very smooth, there were hunks of wheat berries still after five minutes)Then add & process all at once:1 T sugar (I used agave)2 tsp lemon juice2 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp baking soda1/2 tsp saltWe used an electric griddle as suggested in Dr. Barnard's recipe. They came out beautifully, nice and brown and fluffy looking.

But the TASTE!!! Geez, I had one or two bites with no-fat no sugar syrup and decided to give mine to the birds outside. I'd rather eat plain brown rice and broccoli and give up these blasted recipes. JT having a grumpy day on day 8 of all vegan all the timePS I'd also love the recipe for oatmeal "milk

Yes, yes - the blender would have been better- he even said to use the blender but I just am used to the processor which is out, and the Vitamix is put away - I'll definitely have get it out and make some room for it now.  By the way, hubby did like the pancakes, surprisingly.  But not enough to eat my portion.  I put mine outside for the birds, and my one cat Bella decided she liked them!!!!!  Unbelievable.JTOn Feb 7, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Jenn wrote:Hmmm....Well. maybe the wheatberries are supposed too be soaked a bit first?  They will definitely blend better when they've softened up a bit. The flaxseed is probably OK to be left unsoaked, but I would have probably ground them up first in the coffee mill had I been making this recipe. Also, maybe mixing them in the blender might work better than a food processor. The blades are set up differently so maybe you'll get a better result (Blenders work great for liquid stuff - I am assuming this replaces oil, milk & eggs in a more traditional pancake recipe). I also would probably not have used chickpea/garbanzo bean flour-it has a very strong flavor and even in something savory like the faux turkey roast I make at Thanksgiving, I only use 1/4 c at the very maximum in any given recipe.  Soy flour would probably be OK, as would others that don't have that strong flavor.--- On Sat, 2/7/09, jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:Here's one to NOT try - don't know what the guy was thinking but maybe some of you experts out there can figure out why these pancakes were terrible:1 C wheatberries (whole wheat kernels)1 T whole flaxseedBlend together in food processor with 2 C water for 2 minutesAdd:1/3 C soy flour or chickpea flourand process some more in the food processor until very (?) smooth (I could not get it very smooth, there were hunks of wheat berries still after five minutes)Then add & process all at once:1 T sugar (I used agave)2 tsp lemon juice2 tsp baking powder1/2 tsp baking soda1/2 tsp saltWe used an electric griddle as suggested in Dr. Barnard's recipe.  They came out beautifully, nice and brown and fluffy looking.  But the TASTE!!!  Geez, I had one or two bites with no-fat no sugar syrup and decided to give mine to the birds outside.  I'd rather eat plain brown rice and broccoli and give up these blasted recipes.  JT having a grumpy day on day 8 of all vegan all the timePS I'd also love the recipe for oatmeal "milk jennifer trumpjennifur

For the record, you are correct..The flax

seeds do not need to be rinsed, but definitely ground up. The wheatberries

should be rinsed and ground very finely. I think this would have improved

the pancakes all around!!1

Holly Flom

Certified Health Coach

AFAA Certified Personal Trainer

www.hardwiredbyjuiceplus.com

On

Behalf Of jennifer trump

Saturday, February 07, 2009

6:18 PM

Re:

Terrible Pancakes!

Yes, yes - the blender would have been better- he even said to use the

blender but I just am used to the processor which is out, and the Vitamix is

put away - I'll definitely have get it out and make some room for it now.

By the way, hubby did like the pancakes, surprisingly. But not enough

to eat my portion. I put mine outside for the birds, and my one cat Bella

decided she liked them!!!!! Unbelievable.

JT

On Feb 7, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Jenn wrote:

Hmmm....Well. maybe the

wheatberries are supposed too be soaked a bit first? They will definitely

blend better when they've softened up a bit. The flaxseed is probably OK to

be left unsoaked, but I would have probably ground them up first in the

coffee mill had I been making this recipe. Also, maybe mixing them in the

blender might work better than a food processor. The blades are set up

differently so maybe you'll get a better result (Blenders work great for

liquid stuff - I am assuming this replaces oil, milk & eggs in a more

traditional pancake recipe).

I also would probably not have used chickpea/garbanzo bean flour-it has a

very strong flavor and even in something savory like the faux turkey roast I

make at Thanksgiving, I only use 1/4 c at the very maximum in any given

recipe. Soy flour would probably be OK, as would others that don't have that

strong flavor.

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Here's one to NOT try - don't

know what the guy was thinking but maybe some of you experts out there can

figure out why these pancakes were terrible:

1 C wheatberries (whole wheat

kernels)

1 T whole flaxseed

Blend together in food processor

with 2 C water for 2 minutes

Add:

1/3 C soy flour or chickpea

flour

and process some more in the

food processor until very (?) smooth (I could not get it very smooth, there

were hunks of wheat berries still after five minutes)

Then add & process all at

once:

1 T sugar (I used agave)

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

We used an electric griddle as

suggested in Dr. Barnard's recipe. They came out beautifully, nice and brown

and fluffy looking. But the TASTE!!! Geez, I had one or two bites with no-fat

no sugar syrup and decided to give mine to the birds outside. I'd rather eat

plain brown rice and broccoli and give up these blasted recipes.

JT having a grumpy day on day 8

of all vegan all the time

PS I'd also love the recipe for

oatmeal " milk

jennifer trump

jennifur

By the way, hubby did like the pancakes, surprisingly. But not enough to eat my portion. I put mine outside for the birds, and my one cat Bella decided she liked them!!!!! Unbelievable.JTSome cats like weird things, such as garbanzo bean flour and nutritional yeast. My cat likes cantalope and a foster kitty I had for a while was always trying to get into a bag of chocolate chips that was in the

cupboard. He and my dog also fought over a renegade piece of popcorn that found its way under the counter. The cat won...I think he was maybe a dumpster cat previously and would eat just about anything. He also thought he was a dog. He's a bit messed up, but I still love him to death. He got adopted out to my husband's aunt so I get to see him every so often :)