IndiaDivine.org

Quick Beans Question!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi everyone! I am off to the health food store soon. I just purchased a new pressure cooker and would like to start buying my beans dried. Just wanted to verify that using a Kombu strip instead of oil would be okay in the pressure cooker to avoid the foaming.

Thank you and hope you're all having a good day!

Debbie "It's the cracked ones who let light into the world." A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Guest guest

Kombu is great nutritionally, possibly reduces  gassiness, and enhances flavor,  But to reduce foaming, a tablespoon or so of oil (negligible, considering the amount you are cooking)  - will reduce significantly the foaming .

You might also want to reduce the gassiness issue by one of two procedures:         1. Quick Soak:   rinse your beans, drain them, add water (enough to cover the beans after they have doubled in size), bring them to a boil,  let sit for 1 and 1/2 hours,  THROW AWAY THE SOAKING WATER AND RINSE THE BEANS THOROUGHLY.  Then add the appropriate amount of water and do your pressure cooking.

2. Rinse and then Soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover them after they have doubled in size. THROW AWAY THE SOAKING WATER AND RINSE THE BEANS THOROUGHLY.   Add fresh water and proceed with pressure cooking.

Throwing away the soaking water  reduces the indigestible sugars which contribute to gassiness.      Of course, you can add Kombu and a little oil before you pressure cook.....

Martha WilliamsOn Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM, <ClevrKiss wrote:

Hi everyone!  I am off to the health food store soon.  I just purchased a new pressure cooker and would like to start buying my beans dried.  Just wanted to verify that using a Kombu strip instead of oil would be okay in the pressure cooker to avoid the foaming.

Thank you and hope you're all having a good day!

Debbie " It's the cracked ones who let light into the world. " A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Guest guest

I only use water and I don't get any foam! I'm going to try to throw the water

out because I get very gassy! Thanks. I love my pressure cooker!!!

Danielle

, ClevrKiss wrote:

>

> Hi everyone! I am off to the health food store soon. I just purchased a

> new pressure cooker and would like to start buying my beans dried. Just

wanted

> to verify that using a Kombu strip instead of oil would be okay in the

> pressure cooker to avoid the foaming.

>

> Thank you and hope you're all having a good day!

>

> Debbie

> " It's the cracked ones who let light into the world. "

> **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy

> steps!

>

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2\

F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID

> %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

>

Guest guest

The latest podcast at www.compassionatecooks.com is about eating well in a recession, and includes a section about cooking beans well - she explains why it's important to soak the beans (for at least an hour) and discard the soaking water.On 15/03/2009, at 4:28 PM, natenjade wrote:I only use water and I don't get any foam! I'm going to try to throw the water out because I get very gassy! Thanks. I love my pressure cooker!!!Danielle--- In  , ClevrKiss wrote:>> Hi everyone! I am off to the health food store soon. I just purchased a > new pressure cooker and would like to start buying my beans dried. Just wanted > to verify that using a Kombu strip instead of oil would be okay in the > pressure cooker to avoid the foaming.> > Thank you and hope you're all having a good day!> > Debbie > "It's the cracked ones who let light into the world."> **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy > steps! > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID> %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)>