IndiaDivine.org

Dried beans...challenging for me!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Cooking dried beans has been a challenge for me too! It alwasy seems to make

much longer than the instructions say for the beans to be cooked! I have served

dinner 3 hours late before due to dried soup mixes and made an mexican casserole

that would have been awesome the beans were softer!

I've been told to consider using a pressure cooker. I saw this Electric 6-Qt.

Multi Cooker which is a pressure cooker and rice cooker over the weekend.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=362934 & PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx\

..esn_results

If any one has any tips on pressure cookers I would love some advice. And I'll

let everyone know if I have more success. Due to the use of toxic Bisphenol-A

in cans, I really want to give up canned goods again and cook only with dried

beans!

Guest guest

I think the cooking time is longer when the beans are old - because we can't tell how long the beans have been sitting around, it's best to allow plenty of spare time for cooking them.On 16/03/2009, at 8:07 AM, tjmcols wrote:Cooking dried beans has been a challenge for me too! It alwasy seems to make much longer than the instructions say for the beans to be cooked! I have served dinner 3 hours late before due to dried soup mixes and made an mexican casserole that would have been awesome the beans were softer!

Guest guest

I have looked at Jill (The Veggie Queen). She loves the pressure cooker. I think she may have some You Tube videos too. Her site might be helpful. http://www.pressurecooking.blogspot.com/ This is her pressure cooking blog.

In the winter I seem to cook up a different bean every week for the freezer. Red, pinto, black, kidney, garbanzo, white, northern and white kidney.

I always soak my beans overnight and then in the morning I put them into a crock pot and cook on low. I then freeze them in 2 cup portions. 1 lb will usually make 6 cups. I keep an inventory and then when I need them for a recipe I just get them out. If I am using them for soup, I just throw them into the pot. They thaw quickly but you can always throw them into a strainer and pour water over them if they are for a salad or salsa.

On Behalf Of tjmcolsSunday, March 15, 2009 2:07 PM Subject: Dried beans...challenging for me!

Cooking dried beans has been a challenge for me too! If any one has any tips on pressure cookers I would love some advice. And I'll let everyone know if I have more success.