IndiaDivine.org

OT: beans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

That might be so, but once I started incorporating more fresh salads in my diet,

no gas issues. QED... has worked for me for many years (decades). I do,

however, soak them overnight (used to sprout''em, which definitely cuts down

those " sugars " and decreases cooking time).

Here's an interesting take on this and related issues by McDougall:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/020800pubadfarts.htm

Me? I'll go for what has worked for me. Adding microscopic flora/fauna to my

digestive system via fresh salads. The broth from cooking beans hasn't posed

any problems that I'm aware of, but I guess everyone has to find out what they

can and can't handle.

And the tip posted about cooking beans then freezing for later use is a good

one, and something I've been doing for a long time, too. Solves the " time "

issue.

FYI, Mark

http://www.soulveggie.com

At 6:51 PM +0000 3/16/09, wrote:

>

> Personally, I found years ago that the best way to deal with gassiness is to

incorporate a lot of fresh salads in your diet. Soon thereafter, your body

developes the necessary " flora'n'fauna " to digest beans without any discomfort

or violation of local EPA standards.

>

> As to the " broth " from cooking, it's great in soups or sauces (but then, I'm

not using a pressure cooker).

>

> FYI, Mark

> <http://www.soulveggie.com>http://www.soulveggie.com

>

The type of indigestible sugars present in beans are not digestible by any

means,

except perhaps by the enzyme product, " Beano " . Some people may not feel

comfortable using that product, so throwing away soaking water (which contains

much of the sugar) is the preferable means of controlling gassiness for the

people who are most affected by it.... M. Williams

Guest guest

I've heard your body adjusts to the beans over time.  Probably someone has already said that.  JTOn Mar 16, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Mark Sutton wrote:That might be so, but once I started incorporating more fresh salads in my diet, no gas issues. QED... has worked for me for many years (decades). I do, however, soak them overnight (used to sprout''em, which definitely cuts down those "sugars" and decreases cooking time).Here's an interesting take on this and related issues by McDougall:http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/020800pubadfarts.htmMe? I'll go for what has worked for me. Adding microscopic flora/fauna to my digestive system via fresh salads. The broth from cooking beans hasn't posed any problems that I'm aware of, but I guess everyone has to find out what they can and can't handle.And the tip posted about cooking beans then freezing for later use is a good one, and something I've been doing for a long time, too. Solves the "time" issue.FYI, Markhttp://www.soulveggie.comAt 6:51 PM +0000 3/16/09,   wrote:>> Personally, I found years ago that the best way to deal with gassiness is to incorporate a lot of fresh salads in your diet. Soon thereafter, your body developes the necessary "flora'n'fauna" to digest beans without any discomfort or violation of local EPA standards.>> As to the "broth" from cooking, it's great in soups or sauces (but then, I'm not using a pressure cooker).>> FYI, Mark> <http://www.soulveggie.com>http://www.soulveggie.com>The type of indigestible sugars present in beans are not digestible by any means,except perhaps by the enzyme product, "Beano". Some people may not feel comfortable using that product, so throwing away soaking water (which contains much of the sugar) is the preferable means of controlling gassiness for the people who are most affected by it.... M. Williams jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Beans are an incomplete protein so you have to find another protein to combine with it. Some say eating cheese with it helps but this is a vegan list so I know that cheese is off limits. Is there an expert vegan in the house that could help with this???? Would nuts complement the protein in beans or not?????

Bidden or not, God is ALWAYS present--- On Tue, 3/17/09, Sue in NJ <sue_in_nj wrote:

Sue in NJ <sue_in_njRe: OT: beans Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

> I've heard your body adjusts to the beans over time. Probably> someone has already said that.Mine never did. It hasn't adjusted to raw onions, either, and I eat bothof those practically every day of my life (and at age 55, that means alot of beans and onions). Cooked onions are fine, though. My familyknows to stand downwind of me after certain meals. My husband is almostas bad as I am, so we really don't offend anyone but each other. LOLBTW, Beano never worked for me. Nor did activated charcoal tablets orany of the other natural gas remedies. We just live with it and keep afan going to circulate the air.Sue in NJ

Guest guest

okay I found this; it sounds like all you need to add is rice

What are the types of protein?

Proteins are made up of amino acids. Think of amino acids as the building blocks. There are 20 different amino acids that join together to make all types of protein. Some of these amino acids can't be made by our bodies, so these are known as essential amino acids. It's essential that our diet provide these. In the diet, protein sources are labeled according to how many of the essential amino acids they provide:

A complete protein source is one that provides all of the essential amino acids. You may also hear these sources called high quality proteins. Animal-based foods; for example, meat, poultry, fish, milk, eggs, and cheese are considered complete protein sources.

An incomplete protein source is one that is low in one or more of the essential amino acids. Complementary proteins are two or more incomplete protein sources that together provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids.

For example, rice contains low amounts of certain essential amino acids; however, these same essential amino acids are found in greater amounts in dry beans. Similarly, dry beans contain lower amounts of other essential amino acids that can be found in larger amounts in rice. Together, these two foods can provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids the body needs.

Quick Q & A

Is it true that complementary proteins must be eaten together to count as a complete protein source?

In the past, it was thought that these complementary proteins needed to be eaten at the same meal for your body to use them together. Now studies show that your body can combine complementary proteins that are eaten within the same day.1

How much protein do I need?

Maybe you've wondered how much protein you need each day. In general, it's recommended that 10–35% of your daily calories come from protein. Below are the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for different age groups.2

Bidden or not, God is ALWAYS present--- On Tue, 3/17/09, Sue in NJ <sue_in_nj wrote:

Sue in NJ <sue_in_njRe: OT: beans Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

> I've heard your body adjusts to the beans over time. Probably> someone has already said that.Mine never did. It hasn't adjusted to raw onions, either, and I eat bothof those practically every day of my life (and at age 55, that means alot of beans and onions). Cooked onions are fine, though. My familyknows to stand downwind of me after certain meals. My husband is almostas bad as I am, so we really don't offend anyone but each other. LOLBTW, Beano never worked for me. Nor did activated charcoal tablets orany of the other natural gas remedies. We just live with it and keep afan going to circulate the air.Sue in NJ

Guest guest

> I've heard your body adjusts to the beans over time. Probably

> someone has already said that.

Mine never did. It hasn't adjusted to raw onions, either, and I eat both

of those practically every day of my life (and at age 55, that means a

lot of beans and onions). Cooked onions are fine, though. My family

knows to stand downwind of me after certain meals. My husband is almost

as bad as I am, so we really don't offend anyone but each other. LOL

BTW, Beano never worked for me. Nor did activated charcoal tablets or

any of the other natural gas remedies. We just live with it and keep a

fan going to circulate the air.

Sue in NJ

Guest guest

Hi KristineYes, beans plus rice makes a complete protein - but I hope you noticed in the info you copied that it said you don't need to eat them together - your body will use the amino acids (building blocks of protein) you eat throughout the day and combine them for the protein it needs - just eat a varied wholefood diet and you're set! Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996This is why I'm vegan:"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." - Alice Walker  On 18/03/2009, at 3:17 AM, Kristine Foster wrote:okay I found this;  it sounds like all you need to add is rice Quick Q & AIs it true that complementary proteins must be eaten together to count as a complete protein source?In the past, it was thought that these complementary proteins needed to be eaten at the same meal for your body to use them together. Now studies show that your body can combine complementary proteins that are eaten within the same day.1

Guest guest

Hi Kristine

If you are eating a good assortment of legumes, whole grains, dark green

vegetables and a small amount of nuts, protien needs are met in

abundance. Frances Moore Lappe's research was excellent, but we really

don't need to worry about having the perfect combinations at the same meal.

Good eatin!

lcc

Guest guest

Add the herb EPOSOTE. It is often used in Latin cultures that eat copious amounts of beans. It has a mild flavour and I, personally, think it cuts down on gas considerably.I recommend using it toward the end of cooking if cooking w/o pressure or just add a bit in pc.Shen

Guest guest

, " Sue in NJ " <sue_in_nj wrote:

>

> > I've heard your body adjusts to the beans over time. Probably

> > someone has already said that.

>

> Mine never did. It hasn't adjusted to raw onions, either, and I eat both

> of those practically every day of my life (and at age 55, that means a

> lot of beans and onions). Cooked onions are fine, though. My family

> knows to stand downwind of me after certain meals. My husband is almost

> as bad as I am, so we really don't offend anyone but each other. LOL

>

> BTW, Beano never worked for me. Nor did activated charcoal tablets or

> any of the other natural gas remedies. We just live with it and keep a

> fan going to circulate the air.

>

>

>

> Sue in NJ

>

JUST THROW AWAY YOUR SOAKING WATER AND THEN RINSE YOUR BEANS WELL.

ADD FRESH WATER TO COOK. MOST OF THE TROUBLE-MAKING SUGARS ARE ELIMINATED

THIS WAY.

IF YOU WANT TO, YOU CAN ALSO ADD A GOOD-SIZED PIECE OF KOMBU

TO THE COOKING WATER - MAY HELP SOME..... D. DUBROW

Guest guest

Hi!

Rice and beans are the perfect match! Probably that is why this combo is a staple in latin-american cooking. Like beans, rice is an incomplete protein. When you mix rice with beans, bam!, a perfect, complete protein is made. Rice has the amino acids that are missing in beans, and beans have the amino acid that are missing in rice. 

Alejandra

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Kristine Foster <kristine_foster2000 wrote:

Beans are an incomplete protein so you have to find another protein to combine with it. Some say eating cheese with it helps but this is a vegan list so I know that cheese is off limits.  Is there an expert vegan in the house that could help with this???? Would nuts complement the protein in beans or not?????

Sue in NJ <sue_in_njRe: OT: beans

Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

> I've heard your body adjusts to the beans over time. Probably> someone has already said that.Mine never did. It hasn't adjusted to raw onions, either, and I eat bothof those practically every day of my life (and at age 55, that means a

lot of beans and onions). Cooked onions are fine, though. My familyknows to stand downwind of me after certain meals. My husband is almostas bad as I am, so we really don't offend anyone but each other. LOL

BTW, Beano never worked for me. Nor did activated charcoal tablets orany of the other natural gas remedies. We just live with it and keep afan going to circulate the air.Sue in NJ