IndiaDivine.org

Dried Bean Challenges

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ditto for me. I had a horrible time with dried fava beans and lima beans this week (actually all week it has been a bad cooking week). The beans came out horrible even after soaking overnight with multiple cold water changes. The only beans I have had success with is pinto beans (last week). I am discouraged. I am also a bit apprehensive about pressure cookers. A family friend burned her face (but that was in the 1970's).

Guest guest

Don't be afraid of the pressure cooker, especially the contemporary ones which have all kinds of safety valves on them. My only concern with using my pressure cooker in my current house is that I now have an electric stovetop. I guess I'll have to use two burners.

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of Michelle OrlandoThursday, March 19, 2009 5:44 AM Subject: Dried Bean Challenges

Ditto for me. I had a horrible time with dried fava beans and lima beans this week (actually all week it has been a bad cooking week). The beans came out horrible even after soaking overnight with multiple cold water changes. The only beans I have had success with is pinto beans (last week). I am discouraged. I am also a bit apprehensive about pressure cookers. A family friend burned her face (but that was in the 1970's).

Guest guest

, Michelle Orlando <ttbeachbum wrote:

>

> Ditto for me.  I had a horrible time with dried fava beans and lima beans this

week (actually all week it has been a bad cooking week).  The beans came out

horrible even after soaking overnight with multiple cold water changes.  The

only beans I have had success with is pinto beans (last week).  I am

discouraged.  I am also a bit apprehensive about pressure cookers.  A family

friend burned her face (but that was in the 1970's).

>

YOUR BEANS MAY HAVE BEEN OLD. ESPECIALLY FOR STARTING OUT, GET BEANS WITH A

GOOD BRAND NAME AND BUY THEM FROM A PLACE WHERE THERE IS SUBSTANTIAL TURNOVER.

OLD BEANS JUST WILL NOT BE FIRST RATE, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

BEFORE COOKING THEM YOU MIGHT, AFTER RINSING THEM, BRING THEM TO A HARD BOIL

FOR A MINUTE OR TWO AND LET THEM SOAK FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS IN THE HOT WATER.

DISCARD THE HOT WATER, RINSE THE BEANS, ADD THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF

FRESH WATER, AND MAYBE A GOOD-SIZED PIECE OF KOMBU, AND PRESSURE COOK.

AS FAR AS THE PRESSURE COOKER IS CONCERNED, GET A TOP QUALITY PRESSURE

COOKER AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF - EVEN IN THE

'70'S!

D. DUBROW

Guest guest

This is my favorite way to cook pinto beans (in the slow cooker):http://drmcdougall.com/pdf/mme_lesson_10.pdf====================http://icasualties.org====================Veggies With Peace and Justice: http://vegwithpeace.blogspot.com/ --- On Thu, 3/19/09, Michelle Orlando <ttbeachbum wrote:Michelle Orlando <ttbeachbum Dried Bean Challenges Date: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 7:44 AM