IndiaDivine.org

Delicious Barley Salad

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello all, I'm new here and thought I'd say hi by sharing my favorite recipe.

It's simple and quick to make. Great for BBQ's in the summer, and keeps well in

the fridge.

Kate's Barley Salad;

* 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

* 1 15 oz. can small white beans (cannellni or other) drained and rinced

* 1 15 oz. can corn OR two cups frozen corn (thawed)

* 1 pint basket of cherry tomatoes, halved

* 2 scallions (or a small red bermuda onion finely diced)

* 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped

* 1 cup pearl barley

* 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

* juice of 1/2 lemon

* 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

* 2 medium cloves garlic

* 1 1/2 - 2 ripe avocados, diced

* salt and pepper to taste

* 1/4 cup spicy salsa (not too chunky) OR 1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced

Add barley to 2 cups cold water, and a pinch of salt, bring to boil. Reduce to

soft boil for approx 25 minutes, until it is no longer hard and slightly chewy,

and all water has been absorbed.

Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, to taste) to barley in the last 10

minutes of cooking. Allow barley to cool.

Add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and salsa, toss and set aside. In large bowl

add beans, corn, tomatoes, scallions, parsley, lemon, garlic, avocados, salt &

pepper. Add barley and toss well. Serve and ENJOY!

Keep refrigerated.

Guest guest

Hi KatyWelcome to this wonderful group.This salad sounds delicious! Just need to leave out the olive oil to make it suitable for this group. I'm sure you won't even notice it's missing, since it's only 1T.Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996This is why I'm vegan:"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." - Alice Walker  On 22/03/2009, at 7:18 AM, skatykates wrote:Hello all, I'm new here and thought I'd say hi by sharing my favorite recipe. It's simple and quick to make. Great for BBQ's in the summer, and keeps well in the fridge.Kate's Barley Salad;* 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed* 1 15 oz. can small white beans (cannellni or other) drained and rinced* 1 15 oz. can corn OR two cups frozen corn (thawed)* 1 pint basket of cherry tomatoes, halved* 2 scallions (or a small red bermuda onion finely diced)* 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped* 1 cup pearl barley * 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper* juice of 1/2 lemon* 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil* 2 medium cloves garlic* 1 1/2 - 2 ripe avocados, diced* salt and pepper to taste* 1/4 cup spicy salsa (not too chunky) OR 1 small jalapeño, seeded and dicedAdd barley to 2 cups cold water, and a pinch of salt, bring to boil. Reduce to soft boil for approx 25 minutes, until it is no longer hard and slightly chewy, and all water has been absorbed. Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, to taste) to barley in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Allow barley to cool. Add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and salsa, toss and set aside. In large bowl add beans, corn, tomatoes, scallions, parsley, lemon, garlic, avocados, salt & pepper. Add barley and toss well. Serve and ENJOY!Keep refrigerated.

Guest guest

That salad must look so pretty and colorful. Sounds great too...

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of skatykatesSaturday, March 21, 2009 11:18 AM Subject: Delicious Barley Salad

Hello all, I'm new here and thought I'd say hi by sharing my favorite recipe. It's simple and quick to make. Great for BBQ's in the summer, and keeps well in the fridge.Kate's Barley Salad;* 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed* 1 15 oz. can small white beans (cannellni or other) drained and rinced* 1 15 oz. can corn OR two cups frozen corn (thawed)* 1 pint basket of cherry tomatoes, halved* 2 scallions (or a small red bermuda onion finely diced)* 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped* 1 cup pearl barley * 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper* juice of 1/2 lemon* 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil* 2 medium cloves garlic* 1 1/2 - 2 ripe avocados, diced* salt and pepper to taste* 1/4 cup spicy salsa (not too chunky) OR 1 small jalapeño, seeded and dicedAdd barley to 2 cups cold water, and a pinch of salt, bring to boil. Reduce to soft boil for approx 25 minutes, until it is no longer hard and slightly chewy, and all water has been absorbed. Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, to taste) to barley in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Allow barley to cool. Add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and salsa, toss and set aside. In large bowl add beans, corn, tomatoes, scallions, parsley, lemon, garlic, avocados, salt & pepper. Add barley and toss well. Serve and ENJOY!Keep refrigerated.