IndiaDivine.org

My Effortless Weight Loss

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Well - congratulations is due. I admit, tho - I'm envious. I've been following the McDougall program PERFECTLY - with no "cheating" since Feb. 1. I lost 5 lbs initially (within 2 weeks) and have just stabilized there. My perfection level hasn't changed - and I dont eat anywhere near as much as the food diary in the link - tho I have learned to make sure I"m not hungry - as that is when trouble begins.

For now I'm focused on health and not obsessing on weight. But I do hope the 30 to 35 lbs of weight my mind and heart are ready to release, eventually will be released by my body!

Thanks for the link.

sandy --- On Fri, 3/27/09, Mark Sutton <msutton wrote:

Mark Sutton <msutton "My Effortless Weight Loss" Date: Friday, March 27, 2009, 10:42 AMSelf-proclaimed "Plump Vegan" has a fine post about his first month of

following McDougall's recommendations for losing weight. Check it out:

http://www.vegansoapbox.com/my-effortless-vegan-weightloss/

....also has an example of his daily menu.

FYI, Mark

http://www.soulveggie.com

---

Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados?  I have lost a total of 40lbs so far, but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many nuts/olives/avocados I eat.  if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid levels checked.

Guest guest

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like a one-note song about this,

but (LOL) let me recommend " Eat to Live " by Joel Furhman. (I'm not

sure if I'm spelling that right, just now.)

GENERALLY I think of " all the vegan nutritionists " as a group:

Pritikin, Ornish, McDougall, Furhman, Neal Barnard, and a few

more. Give of take a handful of nuts and some olives, they have

pretty much the same plan. The also use a lot of the same charts,

studies, and general concepts, with differing emotional tone. (This

is not in any way a criticism.)

However Furhman really emphasizes GREEN vegetables and NON-STARCHY

vegetables (I think he uses both of these words). For his " stricter "

plan (called " the 6 week plan " ) you are supposed to limit grain and

starchy veg to 1 cup per day. (That is, you could have a cup or rice

or oatmeal or cooked potatoes.) And he talks a lot about weight

loss, relative to diet and relative to disease recovery. Actually, to

be fair, I think that Ornish and McDougall each have a more intense

" max weight loss " focused version of their diets too -- but I haven't

really paid attention to the differences between their " regular "

books and " weight loss " books. (Maybe it is time for me to go back

and reread the " weight loss " books by Ornish and McDougall!)

Anyway, I recommend reading Eat to Live -- whether or not you want

to follow his guidelines, he talks a lot about what tweaks will

increase weight loss -- which I think is good to know, even if you

don't want to use his guidelines as written.

As for me, I'm NOT finding it effortless to avoid oil, nuts,

concentrated sweets, and avocado. Even using less seeds is a change,

and I hope not permanent. (But I, too, would like to drop quite a few pounds.)

best,

Moria

At 05:59 AM 3/30/2009, you wrote:

>Re: " My Effortless Weight Loss "

> Posted by: " Sandy Mathiesen " smathiesen smathiesen

> Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:33 pm ((PDT))

>

>Well - congratulations is due. I admit, tho - I'm envious. I've

>been following the McDougall program PERFECTLY - with no " cheating "

>since Feb. 1. I lost 5 lbs initially (within 2 weeks) and have

>just stabilized there. My perfection level hasn't changed - and I

>dont eat anywhere near as much as the food diary in the link - tho I

>have learned to make sure I " m not hungry - as that is when trouble begins.

>

>For now I'm focused on health and not obsessing on weight. But I do

>hope the 30 to 35 lbs of weight my mind and heart are ready to

>release, eventually will be released by my body!

>

>Thanks for the link.

>

>sandy

Guest guest

I know how you feel. I need to lose about 10 - 15 pounds and I can't. I run 3x

a week, do pilates 2x a week and I'm a dog walker, so I walk just about

everyday. I'm 39 so maybe my metabolism has stopped! I think I eat pretty

well, but nothing.

I right there with you.

Danielle

, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

>

> Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far,

> but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many

> nuts/olives/avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid

> levels checked.

>

Guest guest

I to know how you all feel. I am also 39 have about 20-25 pounds to lose, so a little more to lose, but I eat very healthy, exercise a lot running and weight training about an hour to an hour and a half a day and walk my dogs. Yet I am lucky to lose a couple pounds and then only if I am really strict with my eating in a few weeks, then it seems if I eat anything extra, grain, nut or the like it is back on, frustrating to say the least.

Blessings,

Rita a newbie on the list

natenjade <lilbugga Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:52:32 AM Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss"

I know how you feel. I need to lose about 10 - 15 pounds and I can't. I run 3x a week, do pilates 2x a week and I'm a dog walker, so I walk just about everyday. I'm 39 so maybe my metabolism has stopped! I think I eat pretty well, but nothing.I right there with you.Danielle, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ ...> wrote:>> Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far,> but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many> nuts/olives/ avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid> levels checked.>

Guest guest

no right now I'm not eating any oils, nuts, avocados, bread. limited grains. mostly legumes, vegetables and 3 fruits daily.

I have hashimotos (thyroid) so even when my thyroid levels read in the ref. range - I have antibodies in there using up the hormone before my body gets it. It's a difficult thing to balance. My levels right now already indicate I'm taking too much of the hormone - tho I think my body is still not able to utilize it. I have a doc. appt at the end of April so will review it with the doc. too. thanks!

sandy--- On Sun, 3/29/09, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

Heidi Crawford <heidicrawfordRe: "My Effortless Weight Loss" Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:19 PM

Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far, but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many nuts/olives/avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid levels checked.

Guest guest

Thank you, Moria!

I appreciate the recommendation. I am limiting all starchy vegetables and grains. Almost doing MWL by McDougall - with a few slight modifications. Not quite as strict as I don't care if it takes me a year or 2 to lose 30 lbs. Just would like to get there eventually!

But I love reading nutrition books and can always get something out of them - very much like hearing what others have found - so thank you!

off to see if I can get it on Kindle!

sandy--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Moria Merriweather <moriam wrote:

Moria Merriweather <moriam Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss" Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 8:02 AMHi Sandy,

I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like a one-note song about this, but (LOL) let me recommend "Eat to Live" by Joel Furhman. (I'm

not sure if I'm spelling that right, just now.)

GENERALLY I think of "all the vegan nutritionists" as a group: Pritikin, Ornish, McDougall, Furhman, Neal Barnard, and a few more. Give of take a handful of nuts and some olives, they have pretty much the same plan. The also use a lot of the same charts, studies, and general concepts, with differing emotional tone. (This is not in any way a criticism.)

However Furhman really emphasizes GREEN vegetables and NON-STARCHY vegetables (I think he uses both of these words). For his "stricter"

plan (called "the 6 week plan") you are supposed to limit grain and starchy veg to 1 cup per day. (That is, you could have a cup or rice or oatmeal or cooked potatoes.) And he talks a lot about weight loss, relative to diet and relative to disease recovery. Actually, to be fair, I think that Ornish and McDougall each have a more intense "max weight loss" focused version of their diets too -- but I

haven't really paid attention to the differences between their "regular" books and "weight loss" books. (Maybe it is time for me to go back and reread the "weight loss" books by Ornish and McDougall!)

Anyway, I recommend reading Eat to Live -- whether or not you want to follow his guidelines, he talks a lot about what tweaks will increase weight loss -- which I think is good to know, even if you don't want to use his guidelines as written.

As for me, I'm NOT finding it effortless to avoid oil, nuts, concentrated sweets, and avocado. Even using less seeds is a change, and I hope not permanent. (But I, too, would like to drop quite a few pounds.)

best,

Moria

At 05:59 AM 3/30/2009, you wrote:

>Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss"

> Posted by: "Sandy Mathiesen" smathiesen smathiesen

> Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:33 pm ((PDT))

>

>Well - congratulations is due. I admit, tho - I'm envious. I've >been following the McDougall program PERFECTLY - with no

"cheating" >since Feb. 1. I lost 5 lbs initially (within 2 weeks) and have >just stabilized there. My perfection level hasn't changed - and I >dont eat anywhere near as much as the food diary in the link - tho I >have learned to make sure I"m not hungry - as that is when trouble

begins.

>

>For now I'm focused on health and not obsessing on weight. But I do >hope the 30 to 35 lbs of weight my mind and heart are ready to >release, eventually will be released by my body!

>

>Thanks for the link.

>

>sandy

Guest guest

I once found a greeting card that said something to the effect of: if you can't lose the weight, just fatten up all of your friends! It's nice to be in good company - even if we're struggling. (btw i didn't buy the card - a bit too mean for me - but did make me chuckle!)

sandy--- On Mon, 3/30/09, RITA MERRIMAN <rita.merriam wrote:

RITA MERRIMAN <rita.merriamRe: Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss" Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 9:35 AM

I to know how you all feel. I am also 39 have about 20-25 pounds to lose, so a little more to lose, but I eat very healthy, exercise a lot running and weight training about an hour to an hour and a half a day and walk my dogs. Yet I am lucky to lose a couple pounds and then only if I am really strict with my eating in a few weeks, then it seems if I eat anything extra, grain, nut or the like it is back on, frustrating to say the least.

Blessings,

Rita a newbie on the list

natenjade <lilbugga Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:52:32 AM Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss"

I know how you feel. I need to lose about 10 - 15 pounds and I can't. I run 3x a week, do pilates 2x a week and I'm a dog walker, so I walk just about everyday. I'm 39 so maybe my metabolism has stopped! I think I eat pretty well, but nothing.I right there with you.Danielle, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ ...> wrote:>> Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far,> but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many> nuts/olives/ avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid> levels checked.>

Guest guest

Hi Sandy,

I have Hypothyriodism too. I don't know if it is caused from the hashimotos virus or not. Apparently my doctor didn't think it was important to check. My hormone levels have all been normal since I started taking synthroid. I started ETL in January initially I lost 10 pounds, however it has all come back on. It has been very very frustrating. I am at the point that I think I will always be fat no matter what I do to try and fix it. As a consequence also unhealthy. I would be interested to here how your appointment goes and if the doctor can give you any good advise.

Sherene--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesen wrote:

Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesenRe: "My Effortless Weight Loss" Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 11:13 PM

no right now I'm not eating any oils, nuts, avocados, bread. limited grains. mostly legumes, vegetables and 3 fruits daily.

I have hashimotos (thyroid) so even when my thyroid levels read in the ref. range - I have antibodies in there using up the hormone before my body gets it. It's a difficult thing to balance. My levels right now already indicate I'm taking too much of the hormone - tho I think my body is still not able to utilize it. I have a doc. appt at the end of April so will review it with the doc. too. thanks!

sandy--- On Sun, 3/29/09, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ gmail.com> wrote:

Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ gmail.com>Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss"Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:19 PM

Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far, but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many nuts/olives/ avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid levels checked.

Guest guest

Hi Sandy and Sherene,

I also have Hypothyroidism, although I started of having hyperthyroidism trying many different treatments, conventional and natural to get my thyroid levels normal but they kept going to high, so I had the radioactive iodine treatment done and purposely killing of most of my thyroid. So now I take synthroid but to be honest I have not felt the same since all this started and my weight struggle is definitely worse. Sandy I to would be interested to see if your doctor has any new insights.

Blessings,

Rita

Sherene LaMontagne <sherenetkcrc Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 8:34:58 PMRe: "My Effortless Weight Loss"

Hi Sandy,

I have Hypothyriodism too. I don't know if it is caused from the hashimotos virus or not. Apparently my doctor didn't think it was important to check. My hormone levels have all been normal since I started taking synthroid. I started ETL in January initially I lost 10 pounds, however it has all come back on. It has been very very frustrating. I am at the point that I think I will always be fat no matter what I do to try and fix it. As a consequence also unhealthy. I would be interested to here how your appointment goes and if the doctor can give you any good advise.

Sherene--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesen > wrote:

Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesen >Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss"Monday, March 30, 2009, 11:13 PM

sandy--- On Sun, 3/29/09, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ gmail.com> wrote:

Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ gmail.com>Re: "My Effortless Weight Loss"Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:19 PM

Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far, but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many nuts/olives/ avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid levels checked.

Guest guest

Sandy,I also had hashimotos.  Luckily through diet I've reversed my hypothyroidism.  I would say this is one of your biggest contributing factors.  The best thing I ever did for myself was to get off of the synthetic thyroid hormones like synthroid, and start on Armour  thyroid.  It is not vegan, but it is more like human thyroid and has not only the T4 hormones but the T1,T2,T3 and calcitonin your body needs. My tsh  was always in the normal range on synthroid, but still felt like everything was out of whack.  Once I started on the Armour brand I felt great, and never had any problems after that, and lost 10 pounds my first 2 weeks on it and got pregnant, something we had been trying for for 2 years.  I would check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info on this.  Also make sure you are eating enough.  If you don't and you feel hungry at all your body can think it is starving and cause you to actually store everything you eat as fat.  Let me know if you have any questions about what I've written

Guest guest

Heidi -

I've been to that site before and will reacquaint myself with it - appreciate the info. I'm glad you found something working so well for you.

Can you tell me briefly about Armour thyroid? Is it prescription? If this should be taken of list - feel free to contact me directly. My Levoxyl is the ONLY med I'm on - and have tried to get off of it - but just can't. Maybe the Armour thyroid is for me? I'm open to it - for sure.

I don't eat enough. I know that. I try to force it -but it never comes naturally. AFter this thread - i've made up my mind to re-start my keeping of a food journal. I eat more than I feel like eating - but still not enough. I really discover this when I have company come stay with me! --- On Mon, 3/30/09, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

Heidi Crawford <heidicrawfordRe: "My Effortless Weight Loss" Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 7:30 PM

Sandy,

I also had hashimotos. Luckily through diet I've reversed my hypothyroidism. I would say this is one of your biggest contributing factors. The best thing I ever did for myself was to get off of the synthetic thyroid hormones like synthroid, and start on Armour thyroid. It is not vegan, but it is more like human thyroid and has not only the T4 hormones but the T1,T2,T3 and calcitonin your body needs. My tsh was always in the normal range on synthroid, but still felt like everything was out of whack. Once I started on the Armour brand I felt great, and never had any problems after that, and lost 10 pounds my first 2 weeks on it and got pregnant, something we had been trying for for 2 years. I would check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info on this. Also make sure you are eating enough. If you don't and you feel hungry at all your body can think it is starving and cause you to actually store everything you eat as fat. Let me know if you have any questions about what I've written

Guest guest

, " natenjade " <lilbugga wrote:

I recommend including strength training, if you're not already. Doing cardio

alone can actually cause you to lose fat-burning muscle fibers, which, in

essence, can cause your metabolism to slow down.

Here's a really good article discussing this topic:

" Pump Up, Slim Down. If you've blown off weight training for fear of bulking up,

you're missing out on the fastest fat-burning method known to woman. "

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-training-tips

>

> I know how you feel. I need to lose about 10 - 15 pounds and I can't. I run

3x a week, do pilates 2x a week and I'm a dog walker, so I walk just about

everyday. I'm 39 so maybe my metabolism has stopped! I think I eat pretty

well, but nothing.

> I right there with you.

> Danielle

>

>

> , Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@> wrote:

> >

> > Do you eat a lot of nuts or avocados? I have lost a total of 40lbs so far,

> > but I will plateau at different spots depending on how many

> > nuts/olives/avocados I eat. if that is not the case maybe get your thyroid

> > levels checked.

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks for sharing this, Mark.

I also enjoyed watching the preparation of Vegan Artichoke Soup on the video at

the same link.

Teresa M.

, Mark Sutton <msutton wrote:

>

> Self-proclaimed " Plump Vegan " has a fine post about his first month of

following McDougall's recommendations for losing weight. Check it out:

>

> http://www.vegansoapbox.com/my-effortless-vegan-weightloss/

>

> ...also has an example of his daily menu.

>

> FYI, Mark

> http://www.soulveggie.com

>

Guest guest

I second Moria's recommendation for Eat to Live.

I received the book last June when I weighed 175.5 pounds.

I weighed 154 this morning. I am 5'9 "

I have been following the recommendations off and on since June.

When I am following 100%, I drop a pound a week and never feel hungry.

It's like a miracle after trying MANY other eating plans over the years.

Teresa M.

Age 54

High weight was 210 in 2003

Recovering from breast cancer (2007) and chemo

Guest guest

Congratulations, very new to all this. What are you eating exactly

Issy

, " tjay1302000 " <t-jay130 wrote:

>

> I second Moria's recommendation for Eat to Live.

> I received the book last June when I weighed 175.5 pounds.

> I weighed 154 this morning. I am 5'9 "

> I have been following the recommendations off and on since June.

>

> When I am following 100%, I drop a pound a week and never feel hungry.

> It's like a miracle after trying MANY other eating plans over the years.

>

> Teresa M.

> Age 54

> High weight was 210 in 2003

> Recovering from breast cancer (2007) and chemo

>