IndiaDivine.org

De-lurking and need cookbook advice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi, everyone! I'm a new vegan (since the beginning of last March).

I recently was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I found Dr. Neal

Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes at my local library. After

reading this book, I decided to give his program (low fat veganism)

a try. I'm not currently on any meds for diabetes, but my doctor did

put me on meds for hypertension. I have many friends who are

vegetarian and I'd always been curious about the lifestyle, but my

diagnosis helped me make the bigger leap to veganism. So far, I've

noticed a gradual decrease in my blood sugar readings, and I've lost

just shy of 30 pounds.

I've enjoyed reading all the posts here and I wondered if any of you

had suggestions for cookbooks containing fast, easy, and cheap vegan

recipes (preferably with nutritional info for each recipe). Most of

the books I've ordered from my library are either 'gourmet'-type or

they have unusual or hard-to-find items. I do have several large

supermarkets within driving distance of my home and I'm fortunate

to be close enough to a Trader Joe's.

Thanks for your help!

Linda

Guest guest

Linda, Any of the books from Joel Fuhrman, Esselstyn, MacDougall, Barnard, T. Colin Powell, etc., describing their plans have good recipes included in them. So does the RAVE diet www.ravediet.com . That has good recipes in it. You can google low-fat vegan recipies. Also, Bryanna Clark something (anyone help me out here?) has great recipes. Also, the Halleluhiah Diet has some good recipes in their books and they have some good resources on their website. -Becky (sorry for any typos; my spell-checker is not working!)

-

lew.the.librarian

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:19 PM

De-lurking and need cookbook advice

Hi, everyone! I'm a new vegan (since the beginning of last March). I recently was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I found Dr. NealBarnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes at my local library. Afterreading this book, I decided to give his program (low fat veganism) a try. I'm not currently on any meds for diabetes, but my doctor didput me on meds for hypertension. I have many friends who arevegetarian and I'd always been curious about the lifestyle, but mydiagnosis helped me make the bigger leap to veganism. So far, I'venoticed a gradual decrease in my blood sugar readings, and I've lostjust shy of 30 pounds.I've enjoyed reading all the posts here and I wondered if any of youhad suggestions for cookbooks containing fast, easy, and cheap veganrecipes (preferably with nutritional info for each recipe). Most ofthe books I've ordered from my library are either 'gourmet'-type orthey have unusual or hard-to-find items. I do have several largesupermarkets within driving distance of my home and I'm fortunate to be close enough to a Trader Joe's.Thanks for your help!Linda

Guest guest

Vegan Express by Nava Atlas is great. Most of the recipes come together in 30

minutes and I haven't found a recipe that required ingredients from a specialty

store. She provides NI and also gives ideas for making each recipe a complete

meal.

Guest guest

Hi Linda

Congrats on changing how you eat and making such a tremendous positive impact on

your health! You must be very proud of that!

In addition to the other books mentioned, I also like Robertson's Vegan Planet,

plus Veganomicon by Moskowitz (sp) and Romero and Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa

Chandra Moskowitz. Lately, however, my most heavily used cookbook is The Engine

2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn. The E2Diet book doesn't have any exotic ingredients at

all (I've found everything at Wal-Mart or Kroger in rural TN) and also gives

substitutions for many ingredients. In following the E2Diet menu plan ideas I

have managed to cut my grocery bill a bit (mostly because I have a plan of what

ot make with the stuff I buy). None of these books, however, has the recipe

nutritional information given. It has always surprised me that so few " healthy "

cookbooks do that, but I suppose it's an extra expense.

Cheers,

Mary

> I've enjoyed reading all the posts here and I wondered if any of you

> had suggestions for cookbooks containing fast, easy, and cheap vegan

> recipes (preferably with nutritional info for each recipe). Most of

> the books I've ordered from my library are either 'gourmet'-type or

> they have unusual or hard-to-find items. I do have several large

> supermarkets within driving distance of my home and I'm fortunate

> to be close enough to a Trader Joe's.

>

> Thanks for your help!

> Linda

>

Guest guest

I love love love Vegan Planet. My omni DH has liked more recipes out of this

book than any other. Though he does like recipes I find online usually.

I also love the other books but in my (oh so) humble opinion, some of the ones

in Veganomicon are a little complicated and time consuming so I didn't mention

it.

Guest guest

You've made the right decision to deal with you diabetes with a life-style change. I have a very strong family history of adult-onset diabetes. We're talking grandparents, my mom, aunts and uncles on both sides of my family, and both of my sisters, each of whom is older than I am, are already adult-onset diabetics. When my blood sugar hit 106, which is only the beginning of the prediabetic range, but with my family history, it was a significant milestone, I switched to a mostly vegan diet. In six weeks, my blood sugar went from 106 to 80 and now remains in the 80 to 90 range. I've been trying to convince one of my sisters to change her diet, but she's obstinate. She'd rather continue eating whatever she wants and take a drug. That to me is mind-boggling.

My current favorite cookbook is Vegan with a Vengeance, but I think the best recipes are ones that others have made and highly recommend.

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of lew.the.librarianSent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:19 PM Subject: De-lurking and need cookbook advice

Hi, everyone! I'm a new vegan (since the beginning of last March). I recently was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I found Dr. NealBarnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes at my local library. Afterreading this book, I decided to give his program (low fat veganism) a try. I'm not currently on any meds for diabetes, but my doctor didput me on meds for hypertension. I have many friends who arevegetarian and I'd always been curious about the lifestyle, but mydiagnosis helped me make the bigger leap to veganism. So far, I'venoticed a gradual decrease in my blood sugar readings, and I've lostjust shy of 30 pounds.I've enjoyed reading all the posts here and I wondered if any of youhad suggestions for cookbooks containing fast, easy, and cheap veganrecipes (preferably with nutritional info for each recipe). Most ofthe books I've ordered from my library are either 'gourmet'-type orthey have unusual or hard-to-find items. I do have several largesupermarkets within driving distance of my home and I'm fortunate to be close enough to a Trader Joe's.Thanks for your help!Linda

Guest guest

I like the website myvegancookbook.com. It has a great and fast LF chili recipe

that my whole family loves.

I also like Vegan with a Vengance and Veganomicon but I tend to simplify the

recipes. I'm not so fancy. teehee

Linda in Chehalis.

Guest guest

I have tried a couple of his recipes and they all do look delicious — but I was confused because he says he’s a follower of McDougall’s plan yet every recipe seems to have some Earth Balance in it and of course McDougall would use no added fat. You could probably leave it out of most recipes though.

On 12/4/09 11:18 AM, " Linda " <pioneer588 wrote:

I like the website myvegancookbook.com. It has a great and fast LF chili recipe that my whole family loves.

I also like Vegan with a Vengance and Veganomicon but I tend to simplify the recipes. I'm not so fancy. teehee

Linda in Chehalis.