IndiaDivine.org

What do we call these foods, btw? + Recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

French Fries *were* called Freedom Fries for a microsecond, but I don't think any of the fast food restaurants called them that long enough to make the change on their menu boards...I suppose you can call them Chips like the English do...I don't think French Toast ever got called Freedom Toast...With that said, here's a recipe for Vegan French Toast1 c rice or soy milk2-4 TBSP flour1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract1-2 TBSP sweetener of choice (Agave is what I generally use, but this is totally optional)Optional-oil or margarine for cooking-use a nonstick pan to make it comply with fat-freeBread of choice (slightly stale bread probably works best)In a shallow baking dish, combine all wet ingredients. Whisk in flour & sweetener until well combined.Heat skillet and add vegan margarine or oil of

choice, if using. Dip each piece of bread in the mixture and place in skillet. Allow to brown and then flip & brown on the other side.Serve with favorite syrup (maple, apple spice, agave, etc), jam or other sweet condiment. --- On Thu, 4/9/09, jennifer trump <jennifur wrote:jennifer trump <jennifurRe: What do we call these foods, btw? Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:05 AM

Who cares what they are called? No one for years has thought about the anger at the French - this is a disturbing email. No one cares what these things are called. On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marilyn wrote:Old school American would call those thin strips of deep fried potatoes French Fries. And that bread soaked in egg batter then fried as a breakfast meal was known as French Toast. OK aside from the political names implied

here, are there vegan recipes for the same things? This confuses me. What is this stuff called now? I think the fast food places are calling the fries "Freedom Fries" now. I couldn't guess what the toast is - "Freedom Toast"? I guess the French and Americans had a bit of a misunderstanding that fell over to the food labeling market. Strange!Thanks for your help!BB Always,Marilyn jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net

Guest guest

I guess you're right. It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries. And I

don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the instance.

Now the real question here is about the toast. Has anyone tried this recipe

yet? How good does it turn out? Is is soggy or obnoxious to handle?

~M

, Jenn <batmanusdmychina wrote:

>

> French Fries *were* called Freedom Fries for a microsecond, but I don't think

any of the fast food restaurants called them that long enough to make the change

on their menu boards...I suppose you can call them Chips like the English do...I

don't think French Toast ever got called Freedom Toast...

>

> With that said,  here's a recipe for Vegan French Toast

>

> 1 c rice or soy milk

> 2-4 TBSP flour

> 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract

> 1-2 TBSP sweetener of choice (Agave is what I generally use, but this is

totally optional)

> Optional-oil or margarine for cooking-use a nonstick pan to make it  comply

with fat-free

> Bread of choice (slightly stale bread probably works best)

>

> In a shallow baking dish, combine all wet ingredients.  Whisk in flour &

sweetener until well combined.

>

> Heat skillet and add vegan margarine or oil of choice, if using.  Dip each

piece of bread in the mixture and place in skillet.  Allow to brown and then

flip & brown on the other side.

>

> Serve with favorite syrup (maple, apple spice, agave, etc), jam or other sweet

condiment.

>

>  

>

> --- On Thu, 4/9/09, jennifer trump <jennifur wrote:

>

> jennifer trump <jennifur

> Re: What do we call these foods, btw?

>

> Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:05 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Who cares what they are called?  No one for years has thought about the

anger at the French - this is a disturbing email.  No one cares what these

things are called.  

>

> On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marilyn wrote:

>

>

> Old school American would call those thin strips of deep fried potatoes French

Fries. And that bread soaked in egg batter then fried as a breakfast meal was

known as French Toast. OK aside from the political names implied here, are there

vegan recipes for the same things? This confuses me. What is this stuff called

now? I think the fast food places are calling the fries " Freedom Fries " now. I

couldn't guess what the toast is - " Freedom Toast " ? I guess the French and

Americans had a bit of a misunderstanding that fell over to the food labeling

market. Strange!

>

> Thanks for your help!

>

> BB Always,

> Marilyn

>

>

> jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net

>

Guest guest

Another thing - the English have a few things named differently than us

Americans have. I learned that with the potato pancake thing. I just wonder

what else is called something different on the other side of the Atlantic.

~M

, " Marilyn " <Bkspedit wrote:

>

> I guess you're right. It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries. And I

don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the instance.

>

> Now the real question here is about the toast. Has anyone tried this recipe

>

> ~M

>

> , Jenn <batmanusdmychina@> wrote:

> >

> > French Fries *were* called Freedom Fries for a microsecond, but I don't

think any of the fast food restaurants called them that long enough to make the

change on their menu boards...I suppose you can call them Chips like the English

do...I don't think French Toast ever got called Freedom Toast...

> >

> > With that said,  here's a recipe for Vegan French Toast

> >

> > 1 c rice or soy milk

> > 2-4 TBSP flour

> > 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract

> > 1-2 TBSP sweetener of choice (Agave is what I generally use, but this is

totally optional)

> > Optional-oil or margarine for cooking-use a nonstick pan to make it  comply

with fat-free

> > Bread of choice (slightly stale bread probably works best)

> >

> > In a shallow baking dish, combine all wet ingredients.  Whisk in flour &

sweetener until well combined.

> >

> > Heat skillet and add vegan margarine or oil of choice, if using.  Dip each

piece of bread in the mixture and place in skillet.  Allow to brown and then

flip & brown on the other side.

> >

> > Serve with favorite syrup (maple, apple spice, agave, etc), jam or other

sweet condiment.

> >

> >  

> >

> > --- On Thu, 4/9/09, jennifer trump <jennifur@> wrote:

> >

> > jennifer trump <jennifur@>

> > Re: What do we call these foods, btw?

> >

> > Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:05 AM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Who cares what they are called?  No one for years has thought about

the anger at the French - this is a disturbing email.  No one cares what these

things are called.  

> >

> > On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marilyn wrote:

> >

> >

> > Old school American would call those thin strips of deep fried potatoes

French Fries. And that bread soaked in egg batter then fried as a breakfast meal

was known as French Toast. OK aside from the political names implied here, are

there vegan recipes for the same things? This confuses me. What is this stuff

called now? I think the fast food places are calling the fries " Freedom Fries "

now. I couldn't guess what the toast is - " Freedom Toast " ? I guess the French

and Americans had a bit of a misunderstanding that fell over to the food

labeling market. Strange!

> >

> > Thanks for your help!

> >

> > BB Always,

> > Marilyn

> >

> >

> > jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net

> >

>

Guest guest

French fries are called chips in the UK.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Marilyn <Bkspedit wrote:

Another thing - the English have a few things named differently than us Americans have.  I learned that with the potato pancake thing.  I just wonder what else is called something different on the other side of the Atlantic.

~M

, " Marilyn " <Bkspedit wrote:>> I guess you're right.  It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries.  And I don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the instance.

>> Now the real question here is about the toast.  Has anyone tried this recipe yet?  How good does it turn out?  Is is soggy or obnoxious to handle?>> ~M>> , Jenn <batmanusdmychina@> wrote:

> >> > French Fries *were* called Freedom Fries for a microsecond, but I don't think any of the fast food restaurants called them that long enough to make the change on their menu boards...I suppose you can call them Chips like the English do...I don't think French Toast ever got called Freedom Toast...

> >> > With that said,  here's a recipe for Vegan French Toast> >> > 1 c rice or soy milk> > 2-4 TBSP flour> > 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract> > 1-2 TBSP sweetener of choice (Agave is what I generally use, but this is totally optional)

> > Optional-oil or margarine for cooking-use a nonstick pan to make it  comply with fat-free> > Bread of choice (slightly stale bread probably works best)> >> > In a shallow baking dish, combine all wet ingredients.  Whisk in flour & sweetener until well combined.

> >> > Heat skillet and add vegan margarine or oil of choice, if using.  Dip each piece of bread in the mixture and place in skillet.  Allow to brown and then flip & brown on the other side.> >

> > Serve with favorite syrup (maple, apple spice, agave, etc), jam or other sweet condiment.> >> >  > >> > --- On Thu, 4/9/09, jennifer trump <jennifur@> wrote:> >

> > jennifer trump <jennifur@>> > Re: What do we call these foods, btw?> >

> > Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:05 AM> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >

> >> >> >> >> >       Who cares what they are called?  No one for years has thought about the anger at the French - this is a disturbing email.  No one cares what these things are called.  

> >> > On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marilyn wrote:> >> >> > Old school American would call those thin strips of deep fried potatoes French Fries. And that bread soaked in egg batter then fried as a breakfast meal was known as French Toast. OK aside from the political names implied here, are there vegan recipes for the same things? This confuses me. What is this stuff called now? I think the fast food places are calling the fries " Freedom Fries " now. I couldn't guess what the toast is - " Freedom Toast " ? I guess the French and Americans had a bit of a misunderstanding that fell over to the food labeling market. Strange!

> >> > Thanks for your help!> >> > BB Always,> > Marilyn> >> >> >  jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> >>---

Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

I make this french toast quite often, also adding a bit of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg to the dipping batter.It looks and tastes like traditional french toast. It isn't soggy if you use slightly dried out bread (and thicker cut bread slices helps too, but if you just have normal sliced bread, it's OK) and if you just quickly dip the slices and not let them sit in the dipping batter, you won't have soggy french toast.Nonstick pans vary greatly-some are definitely better than others. Some claim to be nonstick, but food sticks anyway, so that is the only factor that I can think of for this to be "obnoxious" to handle.--- On Thu, 4/9/09, Marilyn <Bkspedit wrote:Marilyn

<Bkspedit Re: What do we call these foods, btw? + Recipe Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:54 AM

I guess you're right. It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries. And I don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the instance.

Now the real question here is about the toast. Has anyone tried this recipe yet? How good does it turn out? Is is soggy or obnoxious to handle?

~M

Guest guest

Now here chips are those hard small crispy things you buy in a bag in the candy

sections or something similar. Chips are along the lines of popcorn in the

snack food department.

, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

>

> French fries are called chips in the UK.

>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Marilyn <Bkspedit wrote:

>

> > Another thing - the English have a few things named differently than us

> > Americans have. I learned that with the potato pancake thing. I just

> > wonder what else is called something different on the other side of the

> > Atlantic.

> >

> > ~M

> >

> > , " Marilyn " <Bkspedit@> wrote:

> > >

> > > I guess you're right. It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries.

> > And I don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the

> > instance.

> > >

> > > Now the real question here is about the toast. Has anyone tried this

> > recipe yet? How good does it turn out? Is is soggy or obnoxious to handle?

> > >

> > > ~M

> > >

> > > , Jenn <batmanusdmychina@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > French Fries *were* called Freedom Fries for a microsecond, but I don't

> > think any of the fast food restaurants called them that long enough to make

> > the change on their menu boards...I suppose you can call them Chips like the

> > English do...I don't think French Toast ever got called Freedom Toast...

> > > >

> > > > With that said, here's a recipe for Vegan French Toast

> > > >

> > > > 1 c rice or soy milk

> > > > 2-4 TBSP flour

> > > > 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract

> > > > 1-2 TBSP sweetener of choice (Agave is what I generally use, but this

> > is totally optional)

> > > > Optional-oil or margarine for cooking-use a nonstick pan to make it

> > comply with fat-free

> > > > Bread of choice (slightly stale bread probably works best)

> > > >

> > > > In a shallow baking dish, combine all wet ingredients. Whisk in flour

> > & sweetener until well combined.

> > > >

> > > > Heat skillet and add vegan margarine or oil of choice, if using. Dip

> > each piece of bread in the mixture and place in skillet. Allow to brown and

> > then flip & brown on the other side.

> > > >

> > > > Serve with favorite syrup (maple, apple spice, agave, etc), jam or

> > other sweet condiment.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --- On Thu, 4/9/09, jennifer trump <jennifur@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > jennifer trump <jennifur@>

> > > > Re: What do we call these foods, btw?

> > > >

> > > > Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:05 AM

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Who cares what they are called? No one for years has thought

> > about the anger at the French - this is a disturbing email. No one cares

> > what these things are called.

> > > >

> > > > On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marilyn wrote:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Old school American would call those thin strips of deep fried potatoes

> > French Fries. And that bread soaked in egg batter then fried as a breakfast

> > meal was known as French Toast. OK aside from the political names implied

> > here, are there vegan recipes for the same things? This confuses me. What is

> > this stuff called now? I think the fast food places are calling the fries

> > " Freedom Fries " now. I couldn't guess what the toast is - " Freedom Toast " ? I

> > guess the French and Americans had a bit of a misunderstanding that fell

> > over to the food labeling market. Strange!

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for your help!

> > > >

> > > > BB Always,

> > > > Marilyn

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---

> >

> > Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

> > Links

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> --

> AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> ~

> Boston_Gothic

> Boston_Mystic

> Boston-Pagans

>

Guest guest

Correct. And those small crispy things you speak of are called " crisps " over there.

:)

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Marilyn <Bkspedit wrote:

Now here chips are those hard small crispy things you buy in a bag in the candy sections or something similar.  Chips are along the lines of popcorn in the snack food department.

, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:>> French fries are called chips in the UK.>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Marilyn <Bkspedit wrote:>> > Another thing - the English have a few things named differently than us> > Americans have.  I learned that with the potato pancake thing.  I just

> > wonder what else is called something different on the other side of the> > Atlantic.> >> > ~M> >> > , " Marilyn " <Bkspedit@> wrote:

> > >> > > I guess you're right.  It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries.> >  And I don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the> > instance.

> > >> > > Now the real question here is about the toast.  Has anyone tried this> > recipe yet?  How good does it turn out?  Is is soggy or obnoxious to handle?> > >> > > ~M

> > >> > > , Jenn <batmanusdmychina@> wrote:> > > >> > > > French Fries *were* called Freedom Fries for a microsecond, but I don't

> > think any of the fast food restaurants called them that long enough to make> > the change on their menu boards...I suppose you can call them Chips like the> > English do...I don't think French Toast ever got called Freedom Toast...

> > > >> > > > With that said,  here's a recipe for Vegan French Toast> > > >> > > > 1 c rice or soy milk> > > > 2-4 TBSP flour> > > > 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract

> > > > 1-2 TBSP sweetener of choice (Agave is what I generally use, but this> > is totally optional)> > > > Optional-oil or margarine for cooking-use a nonstick pan to make it> > comply with fat-free

> > > > Bread of choice (slightly stale bread probably works best)> > > >> > > > In a shallow baking dish, combine all wet ingredients.  Whisk in flour> > & sweetener until well combined.

> > > >> > > > Heat skillet and add vegan margarine or oil of choice, if using.  Dip> > each piece of bread in the mixture and place in skillet.  Allow to brown and> > then flip & brown on the other side.

> > > >> > > > Serve with favorite syrup (maple, apple spice, agave, etc), jam or> > other sweet condiment.> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > --- On Thu, 4/9/09, jennifer trump <jennifur@> wrote:

> > > >> > > > jennifer trump <jennifur@>> > > > Re: What do we call these foods, btw?> > > >

> > > > Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:05 AM> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >

> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >

> > > >       Who cares what they are called?  No one for years has thought> > about the anger at the French - this is a disturbing email.  No one cares> > what these things are called.

> > > >> > > > On Apr 9, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marilyn wrote:> > > >> > > >> > > > Old school American would call those thin strips of deep fried potatoes

> > French Fries. And that bread soaked in egg batter then fried as a breakfast> > meal was known as French Toast. OK aside from the political names implied> > here, are there vegan recipes for the same things? This confuses me. What is

> > this stuff called now? I think the fast food places are calling the fries> > " Freedom Fries " now. I couldn't guess what the toast is - " Freedom Toast " ? I> > guess the French and Americans had a bit of a misunderstanding that fell

> > over to the food labeling market. Strange!> > > >> > > > Thanks for your help!> > > >> > > > BB Always,> > > > Marilyn> > > >

> > > >> > > >  jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> > > >> > >> >> >> >> >> > ---

> >> > Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .> > Links> >> >> >> >

>>

> --> AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com> ~> Boston_Gothic

> Boston_Mystic> Boston-Pagans

>---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

Wonderful! I was only thinking of the diference that real eggs might make to

this recipe. But if you say it works fine I'll believe you! I just was curious

how the change could effect the final product. And I'm slightly curious how

regular bread would work in this. Please, if the husband catches bread that

might be going stale he'd just throw it out anyway. Forget about the birds or

animals outside that would eat it. He's impossible like that.

Actually I'm off to make Christmas Bread for Easter for my dad in the hospital

this week. Pannetone. I know it has hard-boiled eggs as decorations baked

right into the top. This may be dads last Easter anyway. We'll just make him

smile. Thats all we ask.

, Jenn <batmanusdmychina wrote:

>

> I make this french toast quite often, also adding a bit of cinnamon and

freshly grated nutmeg to the dipping batter.

>

> It looks and tastes like traditional french toast.  It isn't soggy if you use

slightly dried out bread (and thicker cut bread slices helps too, but if you

just have normal sliced bread, it's OK) and if you just quickly dip the slices

and not let them sit in the dipping batter, you won't have soggy french toast.

>

> Nonstick pans vary greatly-some are definitely better than others. Some claim

to be nonstick, but food sticks anyway, so that is the only factor that I can

think of for this to be " obnoxious " to handle.

>

> --- On Thu, 4/9/09, Marilyn <Bkspedit wrote:

>

> Marilyn <Bkspedit

> Re: What do we call these foods, btw? + Recipe

>

> Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:54 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I guess you're right. It was momentary that they were Freedom Fries.

And I don't think it was long enough to make anyone even remember the instance.

>

>

>

> Now the real question here is about the toast. Has anyone tried this recipe

>

>

>

> ~M

>