IndiaDivine.org

Today is my birthday and I'm starting over

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi, group! Well, after that pronouncement a few weeks ago that I was publicly committing to the 6 week plan of E2L, I failed completely! So, today is my birthday and I want to start again. I am going to make this year my year to get my life together and I'm starting with my diet. So, here I am again, making another committment.

Today I am 51. I am single. I am 5 foot 6 and weigh 252 pounds. I live with a roommate and her 17 year old son who eat a SAD diet and don't want to change- so there's all kinds of junk food and animal products in the house. I have been vegan for about a year, so I've learned to deal with it.

I have 4 dogs which need extensive walking every day and that keeps me moving. (I also have 3 cats and a chipmunk) I'm a nurse and work in home health in Boone, NC. I love to cook and am planning to learn one new E2L recipe a week to keep things interesting. Here's my plan:

Breakfast- green smoothie (I love green smoothies!!)

Lunch- huge salad with all kinds of greens and 1/2 beans

Dinner- another huge salad with beans or a large plate of sauted veggies (here is where I'll try the new recipes)

Any suggestions? I also promise to be more visible on this list and do my part to support others.

I know I can do this! Thanks for listening,

Peg

No snacks. At least until I'm losing weight well, I will hold off on grains and nuts.

Guest guest

Check out McDougall's FAT FREE VEGAN book, I forget the title but you can look it up.  Hubby and I went on that plan and it has grains which makes the plan OH so much more interesting and we lost 6 pounds in two weeks eating whatever - just no fat.  It was great.We also failed and are struggling to get back, but yesterday we did well and I wish you well too!  I'm 5'1" and 197 pounds.  Hubby is diabetic and on lots of meds.  I'm pre-diabetic and stopped taking my meds in protest and just started eating better, but I may have to rethink that plan.  Good for you, Peg.  JenniferOn Apr 13, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Peg Hatley wrote:Hi, group!  Well, after that pronouncement a few weeks ago that I was publicly committing to the 6 week plan of E2L, I failed completely!  So, today is my birthday and I want to start again.  I am going to make this year my year to get my life together and I'm starting with my diet.  So, here I am again, making another committment. Today I am 51.  I am single. I am 5 foot 6 and weigh 252 pounds. I live with a roommate and her 17 year old son who eat a SAD diet and don't want to change- so there's all kinds of junk food and animal products in the house.  I have been vegan for about a year, so I've learned to deal with it.  I have 4 dogs which need extensive walking every day and that keeps me moving.  (I also have 3 cats and a chipmunk)  I'm a nurse and work in home health in Boone, NC.  I love to cook and am planning to learn one new E2L recipe a week to keep things interesting.  Here's my plan: Breakfast- green smoothie (I love green smoothies!!)Lunch- huge salad with all kinds of greens and 1/2 beansDinner- another huge salad with beans or a large plate of sauted veggies (here is where I'll try the new recipes) Any suggestions?  I also promise to be more visible on this list and do my part to support others.  I know I can do this!  Thanks for listening,Peg No snacks.  At least until I'm losing weight well, I will hold off on  grains and nuts.  jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Hi Peg!!! congrats on your new committment to a healthy lifestyle. When we fall off you just get right back up and keep going. There is no sense in wallowing in your setback. My major suggestion to you is to eat more than that. I know this sounds a little crazy, but being vegan is great...I myself will NEVER go back. But, six small meals will help with portion control which we all need in this world of excess. This also will curb hunger and allow more opprotunity to get the nourishment that we need. So...off and away you go on your new adventure. Stay strong...you can do it and your body will love you for it.

Love 2 B Vegan Truly, Celena--- On Mon, 4/13/09, Peg Hatley <peghat7 wrote:

Peg Hatley <peghat7 Today is my birthday and I'm starting over Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 12:26 PM

Hi, group! Well, after that pronouncement a few weeks ago that I was publicly committing to the 6 week plan of E2L, I failed completely! So, today is my birthday and I want to start again. I am going to make this year my year to get my life together and I'm starting with my diet. So, here I am again, making another committment.

Today I am 51. I am single. I am 5 foot 6 and weigh 252 pounds. I live with a roommate and her 17 year old son who eat a SAD diet and don't want to change- so there's all kinds of junk food and animal products in the house. I have been vegan for about a year, so I've learned to deal with it.

I have 4 dogs which need extensive walking every day and that keeps me moving. (I also have 3 cats and a chipmunk) I'm a nurse and work in home health in Boone, NC. I love to cook and am planning to learn one new E2L recipe a week to keep things interesting. Here's my plan:

Breakfast- green smoothie (I love green smoothies!!)

Lunch- huge salad with all kinds of greens and 1/2 beans

Dinner- another huge salad with beans or a large plate of sauted veggies (here is where I'll try the new recipes)

Any suggestions? I also promise to be more visible on this list and do my part to support others.

I know I can do this! Thanks for listening,

Peg

No snacks. At least until I'm losing weight well, I will hold off on grains and nuts.

Guest guest

From a newbie. What are E2L and SAD diets?

Judy

_____

>Hi, group! Well, after that pronouncement a few weeks ago that I was

>publicly committing to the 6 week plan of E2L, I failed completely!

(excessive quoting deleted by moderator)

Guest guest

Eat to live and Standard American Diet

* If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but I do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.*

--- On Mon, 4/13/09, Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg wrote:

Judy Goldsmith <judyjtgRE: Today is my birthday and I'm starting over Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 3:17 PM

From a newbie. What are E2L and SAD diets?Judy_____ >Hi, group! Well, after that pronouncement a few weeks ago that I was>publicly committing to the 6 week plan of E2L, I failed completely!(excessive quoting deleted by moderator)

Guest guest

Hi Peg,

I'm also 51, and single, but no dogs (though I could use more walking!)

I've been almost-vegan (more or less over the years) for about 25 years or so.

My current food plan is so close to yours it is almost funny. Check it out:

Breakfast is a very big green smoothie every day -- I too love them.

I also put some

flaxseed and sesame seeds in there (smaller amt recently as I'm wanting to lose

weight, so I'm limiting the amt of seeds.). My absolute favorite

green for smoothie is

beet greens -- and I recently started adding fresh peppermint (OMG is it good).

(I use some frozen strawberries and blueberries, which is not part of

ETL rules.)

Lunch is salad, with lots of variations to keep me entertained. I

usually have some

homemade sauerkraut on the top. Sometimes there is a cooked veg included --

like beets or broccoli. Lots of tomato and grated carrots and parsley.

(On weekends or if I'm home for some reason, lunch is more likely to be soup or

beans or chili etc.)

My dinner differs from yours. My basic dinner on workdays is

microwaved veggies

(often including a bit or rice, and/or some beans ). Usually some tomato sauce

and a bit or onions in there, too.

The big challenge is preparing all this in the morning. It takes over an hour!

(That also includes time to rinse all the sprouts I'm growing and

water the baby greens.....)

I have timed in, and I actually think I'm doing things very fast --

but it does

take time!

Suggestions?

Well, do you have a good produce store? I do and it sure helps.

Pay attention to what foods attract you (which changes day to day, for me).

Try to eat food that is attractive -- for me, lots of variety of

fruit is very good, and

several kinds of mushrooms -- Certainly variety in general is good.

Right now I'm paying attention to doing a little extra cooking on the weekend,

when I can (and I do mean JUST a little) -- like I'll cook some brown

rice to use during the

week -- or cook beets and broccoli to be used in salads -- or cook some beans.

The biggest thing is to find what is less-than-easy for you and keep

working on it.

What are the challenges? Make a list, and work on the small projects.

Hard to say what that might be. Certainly, having acceptable food

available whenever

I'm hungry is really important (for me). I also have many levels of

non-optimum food

around -- which you may or may not want to do. Anyway,

I mean stuff like plain popcorn, dried fruit (a concentrated sweet),

cooked rice and potatoes

(which may be over the " 1 cup a day " ), bread, nuts.....

These are only mildly off-limits. Having these things around allows for

" bargaining " -- e.g. I want candy, but I'll settle for dried fruit

first and see if that helps :)

Since you are not eating grains and nuts, it is EXTRA important to have heaping

bowls (or bags or boxes) full of fresh fruit, veggies that are ready

to eat, etc.

and to be sure you are getting enough food. It is pretty challenging

to eat enough

without grain/nuts/fat.

Hummm I know you said no snacks too -- I don't know how that works,

but I would guess that

it would be really important to have your meals timed well so that

you don't get

over-hungry. (I eat often, and go to work with a basket full of grapes and

bell peppers and sugar peas to snack on, plus some dried whole wheat

pita bread.)

Finally, it sounds like you are very committed -- so you could use

that commitment

to help you identify areas where you are having trouble -- When you

are really having

a hard time, make a list of projects for additional attention.

Hope that makes sense.

best,

Moria

At 05:54 AM 4/14/2009, you wrote:

>Breakfast- green smoothie (I love green smoothies!!)

>Lunch- huge salad with all kinds of greens and 1/2 beans

>Dinner- another huge salad with beans or a large plate of sauted

>veggies (here is where I'll try the new recipes)

>

>Any suggestions? I also promise to be more visible on this list and

>do my part to support others.

>

>I know I can do this! Thanks for listening,

>Peg

Guest guest

Thanks, Moria,

IMint in smoothies! I have a ton of it growing in my gardern. Peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm! I can't wait until the morning to throw a handful in my smoothie! Thanks.

I'm rethinking that whole "no snacks thing". I had my smoothie today and then got very hungry before lunch. So I had some sliced cucumber, zucchini and bell peppers with a little hummus. I'm not sure if hummus is legal, but I love it.

Then for lunch I had a couple of roasted beets, half a roasted sweet potato and a big green salad with lettuces, kale, celery, beet greens and parsley. Instead of salad dressing I sliced an orange and an apple in to bowl and used the juice of the orange to moisten the greens.

I am planning to have another huge salad for dinner.

I didn't have to work today so I went to the grocery store and bought lots of fresh produce. I spent a good bit of time chopping and slicing and putting things into small baggies or large bowls to have stuff ready so I don't have to take a lot of time on work days. I have to leave the house around 6:30am, so I don't have much time in the morning. I also started some sprouts to soak and some pink beans which I'll throw in the crock pot tonight. I'm trying to get prepared.

Here's my next question- how long do sliced and chopped veggies last in the fridge? I probably bought too much since it's just me. I got excited by all the colors and textures. Who knew vegetables were so pretty! ---

Guest guest

Hi Peg,

Sounds like great preparations going on at your house -- shopping,

chopping, sprouting, soaking!

I have a hard time knowing what is " too much " to buy sometimes

too. What I've been doing with

salad seems to be working well. I have a big (really big) plastic

box. It was originally a box of

organic spring greens, from Costco. As I used up the " spring

greens " , I started to fill up the

empty space with chopped romaine lettuce or extra grated carrots or

chopped celery etc.

I'm not sure why, but it seems to work well. Anyway, that is my

method. Whatever I'm

chopping, if I have some extra, it goes in there. Except for the

really wet stuff I don't put in

there -- canned beets and canned beans go in separate tupperware.

Okay, well, I didn't answer your question about how long sliced and

chopped veggies keep

in the fridge. I think I've gone several days in some cases -- of

course it depends on what

it is too -- cuke slices start to get funky, where celery just slowly

dries out.

Since you leave so early, do you make your salad the night before?

Moria

At 12:00 PM 4/14/2009, you wrote:

>I have to leave the house around 6:30am, so I don't have much time

>in the morning. I also started some sprouts to soak and some pink

>beans which I'll throw in the crock pot tonight. I'm trying to get prepared.

>

>Here's my next question- how long do sliced and chopped veggies last

>in the fridge? I probably bought too much since it's just me. I

>got excited by all the colors and textures. Who knew vegetables

>were so pretty!

Guest guest

Moria, thanks. I do make my lunch the night before. Thanks for the tips!PegSent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by AlltelMoria Merriweather Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:02:37 -0700 Re: Today is my birthday and I'm starting over Hi Peg, Sounds like great preparations going on at your house -- shopping, chopping, sprouting, soaking! I have a hard time knowing what is " too much " to buy sometimes too. What I've been doing with salad seems to be working well. I have a big (really big) plastic box. It was originally a box of organic spring greens, from Costco. As I used up the " spring greens " , I started to fill up the empty space with chopped romaine lettuce or extra grated carrots or chopped celery etc. I'm not sure why, but it seems to work well. Anyway, that is my method. Whatever I'm chopping, if I have some extra, it goes in there. Except for the really wet stuff I don't put in there -- canned beets and canned beans go in separate tupperware. Okay, well, I didn't answer your question about how long sliced and chopped veggies keep in the fridge. I think I've gone several days in some cases -- of course it depends on what it is too -- cuke slices start to get funky, where celery just slowly dries out. Since you leave so early, do you make your salad the night before? Moria At 12:00 PM 4/14/2009, you wrote: >I have to leave the house around 6:30am, so I don't have much time >in the morning. I also started some sprouts to soak and some pink >beans which I'll throw in the crock pot tonight. I'm trying to get prepared. > >Here's my next question- how long do sliced and chopped veggies last >in the fridge? I probably bought too much since it's just me. I >got excited by all the colors and textures. Who knew vegetables >were so pretty!

Guest guest

dear peg,

even though i m a bit late in replying , which seems to be the story of my life lately, HAPPY BIRTHDAY......

i am involved with some legal stuff , which is very complicated due to the ammount of people involved,and sexual discrimination & sexual harrassment among other things that occurred to me, so i have been typing this huge email , which i wonder sometimes if it will end,which i know it will one day....but it is alot of work.

regards,

melissa--- On Wed, 4/15/09, peghat7 <peghat7 wrote:

peghat7 <peghat7Re: Re: Today is my birthday and I'm starting over Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 8:50 AM

Moria, thanks. I do make my lunch the night before. Thanks for the tips!Peg

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Moria Merriweather Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:02:37 -0700<> Re: Today is my birthday and I'm starting over

Hi Peg,Sounds like great preparations going on at your house -- shopping, chopping, sprouting, soaking!I have a hard time knowing what is "too much" to buy sometimes too. What I've been doing withsalad seems to be working well. I have a big (really big) plastic box. It was originally a box oforganic spring greens, from Costco. As I used up the "spring greens", I started to fill up theempty space with chopped romaine lettuce or extra grated carrots or chopped celery etc.I'm not sure why, but it seems to work well. Anyway, that is my method. Whatever I'mchopping, if I have some extra, it goes in there. Except for the really wet stuff I don't put inthere -- canned beets and canned beans go in separate tupperware.Okay, well, I didn't answer your question about how long sliced and chopped veggies keepin the fridge. I think I've gone several days in some cases -- of

course it depends on whatit is too -- cuke slices start to get funky, where celery just slowly dries out.Since you leave so early, do you make your salad the night before?MoriaAt 12:00 PM 4/14/2009, you wrote:>I have to leave the house around 6:30am, so I don't have much time >in the morning. I also started some sprouts to soak and some pink >beans which I'll throw in the crock pot tonight.. I'm trying to get prepared.>>Here's my next question- how long do sliced and chopped veggies last >in the fridge? I probably bought too much since it's just me. I >got excited by all the colors and textures. Who knew vegetables >were so pretty!

Guest guest

Thanks Melissa. I wish you the best. PegSent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by AlltelMelissa Ts Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:11:06 -0700 (PDT)Re: Re: Today is my birthday and I'm starting over dear peg,even though i m a bit late in replying , which seems to be the story of my life lately, HAPPY BIRTHDAY......i am involved with some legal stuff , which is very complicated due to the ammount of people involved,and sexual discrimination & sexual harrassment among other things that occurred to me, so i have been typing this huge email , which i wonder sometimes if it will end,which i know it will one day....but it is alot of work.regards,melissa--- On Wed, 4/15/09, peghat7 <peghat7 > wrote:peghat7 <peghat7 >Re: Re: Today is my birthday and I'm starting over Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 8:50 AMMoria, thanks. I do make my lunch the night before. Thanks for the tips!PegSent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by AlltelMoria Merriweather Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:02:37 -0700<> Re: Today is my birthday and I'm starting overHi Peg,Sounds like great preparations going on at your house -- shopping, chopping, sprouting, soaking!I have a hard time knowing what is "too much" to buy sometimes too. What I've been doing withsalad seems to be working well. I have a big (really big) plastic box. It was originally a box oforganic spring greens, from Costco. As I used up the "spring greens", I started to fill up theempty space with chopped romaine lettuce or extra grated carrots or chopped celery etc.I'm not sure why, but it seems to work well. Anyway, that is my method. Whatever I'mchopping, if I have some extra, it goes in there. Except for the really wet stuff I don't put inthere -- canned beets and canned beans go in separate tupperware.Okay, well, I didn't answer your question about how long sliced and chopped veggies keepin the fridge. I think I've gone several days in some cases -- of course it depends on whatit is too -- cuke slices start to get funky, where celery just slowly dries out.Since you leave so early, do you make your salad the night before?MoriaAt 12:00 PM 4/14/2009, you wrote:>I have to leave the house around 6:30am, so I don't have much time >in the morning. I also started some sprouts to soak and some pink >beans which I'll throw in the crock pot tonight.. I'm trying to get prepared.>>Here's my next question- how long do sliced and chopped veggies last >in the fridge? I probably bought too much since it's just me. I >got excited by all the colors and textures. Who knew vegetables >were so pretty!