IndiaDivine.org

help modifying this recipe please

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

So I've been a vegetarian trying to be vegan for almost 3 years now, but haven't

had the final push until I read the Eat to Live! book (thank you to whomever

recommended it!). I'm really excited to see how my life and waistline are going

to change. And I'm so happy for the support of this group :)

My aunt makes this great veggie casserole at family get togethers, and I would

like to know how to make it vegan and fat free.

I know how to make a fat free 'cream' of mushroom soup, but it's that whole

block of velveta cheese that's got me stumped how to redo that.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Alicia :)

Bag of california blend veggies

pkg of brussel sprouts split

can of cream of mushroom soup

block of velveta cheese.

Guest guest

Hi AliciaI think replacing the velveeta with anything low-fat and vegan is going to make it such a different dish that maybe it would be better to look for a different recipe altogether! Best wishesAliceOn 14/04/2009, at 1:07 PM, clearchocolateskies wrote:So I've been a vegetarian trying to be vegan for almost 3 years now, but haven't had the final push until I read the Eat to Live! book (thank you to whomever recommended it!). I'm really excited to see how my life and waistline are going to change. And I'm so happy for the support of this group :)My aunt makes this great veggie casserole at family get togethers, and I would like to know how to make it vegan and fat free. I know how to make a fat free 'cream' of mushroom soup, but it's that whole block of velveta cheese that's got me stumped how to redo that.Any and all suggestions are appreciated!Thanks,Alicia :)Bag of california blend veggiespkg of brussel sprouts splitcan of cream of mushroom soupblock of velveta cheese.

Guest guest

Just substitute quinoa, which has a rich and luscious body to it - cook it separate so it is fluffy and add it at the end and use a bit of shoyu (you can get really good shoyu at the health food store, and even Fred Meyer has it now, if you are in a Freddie area).  Of course it won't be the same at all, but I'm just a huge quinoa fan.  It's so easy to cook.  Might be nice with bulgar wheat too, which is also nice & fluffy if you do it right.  Don't go by the Arrow Mills directions, whatever you do - they use WAYYY too much water in their recipe on the box.  JTOn Apr 13, 2009, at 6:07 PM, clearchocolateskies wrote:So I've been a vegetarian trying to be vegan for almost 3 years now, but haven't had the final push until I read the Eat to Live! book (thank you to whomever recommended it!). I'm really excited to see how my life and waistline are going to change. And I'm so happy for the support of this group :)My aunt makes this great veggie casserole at family get togethers, and I would like to know how to make it vegan and fat free. I know how to make a fat free 'cream' of mushroom soup, but it's that whole block of velveta cheese that's got me stumped how to redo that.Any and all suggestions are appreciated!Thanks,Alicia :)Bag of california blend veggiespkg of brussel sprouts splitcan of cream of mushroom soupblock of velveta cheese. jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

I'm a quinoa lover, too, but I'm confused about the suggestion to

substitute it for Velveeta. Not that the result wouldn't be tasty but

probably not anything like what Alicia is asking for. The usual

nutritional yeast-based sauces might be closer, maybe Susan's "cheeze"

sauce that she uses for macaroni

and "cheeze"? (It contains tahini, though, so is not strictly "fat

free.")

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested it might be best to

develop a new favorite recipe. Sometimes attempts with substitutes can

have disheartening results. Still, worth a try.

Good luck!

Debbie

jennifer trump wrote:

Just substitute quinoa, which has a rich and luscious body to it - cook

it separate so it is fluffy and add it at the end and use a bit of

shoyu (you can get really good shoyu at the health food store, and even

Fred Meyer has it now, if you are in a Freddie area).

Guest guest

For the cheese you could make the cheese below ahead of time.  It melts pretty well.  Or you could leave out the agar agar and just pour it like a cheese sauce.  for the mushroom soup  I would just make a mushroom gravy like the one in the mcdougall cookbook and not add as much liquid.  I hope this helps.

Myung's slicing cheeseMakes about 1 1/2 pounds.1 1/2 C Cashews

2 1/2 t Sea Salt1/2 C Nutritional Yeast2 t Onion Powder1/2 t Garlic Powder

2 t Paprika5 T Lemon Juice1/2 C Any cooked grain (millet, brown rice, etc.)1 C Red Roasted Peppers (Pimientos) - equivalent of 8 ounces

3 T Agar Agar Powder (this is 9 T Agar Agar flakes)Soak Agar Agar in 2 C water for at least 30 minutes.

Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes and then rinse/drain.

Blend all ingredients in a vita-mix, except for the agar agar, with 1 C of water. Add to vita-mix in order listed.

Boil the agar agar and the water it has been soaking in for 5 minutes or a little less.Add agar agar to the vita-mix and mix well.

Pour into mold. Allow to cool in the fridge.

Tips:Allow to cool without a lid on, in the fridge. This helps more moisture escape the cheese and it becomes even more solid.Be careful with the exact measurement of the agar agar.

This is great as a slicing cheese, but also really good fresh, and/or melted with salsa. Just don’t heat it up too much and ruin the good fats of the nuts. It makes AMAZING dips!

Some people like it with less pimiento in it - try less sometime.