IndiaDivine.org

my best salad dressing ever (includes avocado)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here's my latest salad dressing. This one is runny enough to seem

like a " dressing "

to me. I didn't measure anything, but did scribble down the

ingredients after I tasted it

(because I didn't want to risk forgetting! Yummmy.)

-- avocado -- minus peel and pit, of course (I think I had 2 very

small avocados)

-- the centers and seeds of several tomatoes, (I think I used about

5 or 6 smallish tomatoes)

-- a lemon (minus just the yellow part of peel, and seeds)

-- some cucumber (about a 2 inch slice?)

-- some dried dill weed

-- some hot pepper (about 1/2 of a hot green pepper),

-- a tiny bit of garlic (maybe 1/2 a clove?)

-- a tiny bit of ginger (similar to the amt of garlic) minus peel.

BLEND in a blender until completely smooth.

Then add:

-- the outside part of the tomatoes (from above)

-- some onion (I think the amt I used is less than 1/4 of an onion)

Blend BRIEFLY till the onion and tomato are chopped and mixed in, but

not all the

way smooth.

Next time I'll use a little more ginger. I was very sparing with the

flavors, because I'm

really not confident about what will be " too much " .

The second blending actually chopped the onion and tomato more than I wanted,

I will also play around with that. Hand chopping them may work better.

Moria

Guest guest

That sounds delicious and I'm using it tonight as i have the ingredients.  We are having a vegan vegetable stew baked in the oven and it will go nicely with a salad with your dressing, thanks!JennOn Apr 14, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Moria Merriweather wrote:Here's my latest salad dressing. This one is runny enough to seem like a "dressing"to me. I didn't measure anything, but did scribble down the ingredients after I tasted it(because I didn't want to risk forgetting! Yummmy.)-- avocado -- minus peel and pit, of course (I think I had 2 very small avocados)-- the centers and seeds of several tomatoes, (I think I used about 5 or 6 smallish tomatoes)-- a lemon (minus just the yellow part of peel, and seeds)-- some cucumber (about a 2 inch slice?)-- some dried dill weed-- some hot pepper (about 1/2 of a hot green pepper),-- a tiny bit of garlic (maybe 1/2 a clove?)-- a tiny bit of ginger (similar to the amt of garlic) minus peel.BLEND in a blender until completely smooth.Then add:-- the outside part of the tomatoes (from above)-- some onion (I think the amt I used is less than 1/4 of an onion)Blend BRIEFLY till the onion and tomato are chopped and mixed in, but not all theway smooth.Next time I'll use a little more ginger. I was very sparing with the flavors, because I'mreally not confident about what will be "too much".The second blending actually chopped the onion and tomato more than I wanted,I will also play around with that. Hand chopping them may work better.Moria jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Your baked vegan vegetable stew sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe? I haven't been a vegan for too long and am always looking for good recipes.Thanks,Laura--- On Tue, 4/14/09, jennifer trump <jennifur wrote:jennifer trump <jennifurRe: my best salad dressing ever (includes avocado) Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 1:12 PM

That sounds delicious and I'm using it tonight as i have the ingredients. We are having a vegan vegetable stew baked in the oven and it will go nicely with a salad with your dressing, thanks!JennOn Apr 14, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Moria Merriweather wrote:Here's my latest salad dressing. This one is runny enough to seem like a "dressing"to me. I didn't measure anything, but did scribble down

the ingredients after I tasted it(because I didn't want to risk forgetting! Yummmy.)-- avocado -- minus peel and pit, of course (I think I had 2 very small avocados)-- the centers and seeds of several tomatoes, (I think I used about 5 or 6 smallish tomatoes)-- a lemon (minus just the yellow part of peel, and seeds)-- some cucumber (about a 2 inch slice?)-- some dried dill weed-- some hot pepper (about 1/2 of a hot green pepper),-- a tiny bit of garlic (maybe 1/2 a clove?)-- a tiny bit of ginger (similar to the amt of garlic) minus peel.BLEND in a blender until completely smooth.Then add:-- the outside part of the tomatoes (from above)-- some onion (I think the amt I used is less than 1/4 of an onion)Blend BRIEFLY till the onion

and tomato are chopped and mixed in, but not all theway smooth.Next time I'll use a little more ginger. I was very sparing with the flavors, because I'mreally not confident about what will be "too much".The second blending actually chopped the onion and tomato more than I wanted,I will also play around with that. Hand chopping them may work better.Moria jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT)

net

Guest guest

Oh sure, here's the recipe which is unusual because the sauce is made separately and added at the end.  (Please note I'm not fully fat-free yet so there is a tiny bit of fat in this recipe):INGREDIENTS:1 lg baking potato1 yam or sweet potato1 rutabaga or 2 sm turnips (if you don't like these, use something you like)2 lg carrots3-4 small parsnips or 1-2 large3-1/2 cups chopped onion (not a typo, need it for good flavor)3 bay leaves1/4 cup shoy or tamari2 cups veggie stockSalt & pepper to taste if needed -SCRUB veggies & CUT them into medium-sized chunks.  PLACE in deep baking dish along with the chopped onion, bay leaves, shoyu and stock/broth.  Throw in some garlic if you wish (I wish lots).  Cover and bake at 350 for about 1.5 hours, or until the veggies are tender but not mushy.  PREPARE THE SAUCE:2 T oil of your choice (I'm sure you fat-free folks know how to use a substitute method for gravy)4 T whole wheat flour1 tsp curry powder1 tsp tarragon (I don't like it so I'm using thyme)1/3 cup veggie brothsalt & pepper to tasteHeat oil or broth and add the flour, curry and herb.  Stir over medium-high heat until the flour browns and begins to give off a nutty aroma.  Remove from heat and stir in the 1/3 cup broth (or water).  Stir vigorously until a smooth paste is formed. ADD this sauce to the stew and mix well.  If too thin, bake uncovered for a few minutes until it thickens.  If too thick, add a little more stock.  YUM!On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Laura S wrote:Your baked vegan vegetable stew sounds delicious.  Can you share the recipe?  I haven't been a vegan for too long and am always looking for good recipes.Thanks,Laura--- On Tue, 4/14/09, jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net>Re: my best salad dressing ever (includes avocado) Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 1:12 PMThat sounds delicious and I'm using it tonight as i have the ingredients.  We are having a vegan vegetable stew baked in the oven and it will go nicely with a salad with your dressing, thanks!JennOn Apr 14, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Moria Merriweather wrote:Here's my latest salad dressing. This one is runny enough to seem like a "dressing"to me. I didn't measure anything, but did scribble down the ingredients after I tasted it(because I didn't want to risk forgetting! Yummmy.)-- avocado -- minus peel and pit, of course (I think I had 2 very small avocados)-- the centers and seeds of several tomatoes, (I think I used about 5 or 6 smallish tomatoes)-- a lemon (minus just the yellow part of peel, and seeds)-- some cucumber (about a 2 inch slice?)-- some dried dill weed-- some hot pepper (about 1/2 of a hot green pepper),-- a tiny bit of garlic (maybe 1/2 a clove?)-- a tiny bit of ginger (similar to the amt of garlic) minus peel.BLEND in a blender until completely smooth.Then add:-- the outside part of the tomatoes (from above)-- some onion (I think the amt I used is less than 1/4 of an onion)Blend BRIEFLY till the onion and tomato are chopped and mixed in, but not all theway smooth.Next time I'll use a little more ginger. I was very sparing with the flavors, because I'mreally not confident about what will be "too much".The second blending actually chopped the onion and tomato more than I wanted,I will also play around with that. Hand chopping them may work better.Moriajennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Moria, I made your dressing below for dinner salad tonight.  The only couple of modifications I made were:  I used 1/2 lemon juice (1/2 a whole lemon) and the same amount of red wine vinegar instead of all lemon.  The other modification I made was to use pickled sushi ginger (the un-dyed version, not the pink kind) and I used about 2 T of that instead of fresh ginger.  It added a small bit of sweetness.  Everything else the same but maybe a bit more garlic than yours. IT ROCKS!I gotta say, you have a GREAT recipe here!  Thank you very much!JenniferHere's my latest salad dressing. This one is runny enough to seem like a "dressing"to me. I didn't measure anything, but did scribble down the ingredients after I tasted it(because I didn't want to risk forgetting! Yummmy.)-- avocado -- minus peel and pit, of course (I think I had 2 very small avocados)-- the centers and seeds of several tomatoes, (I think I used about 5 or 6 smallish tomatoes)-- a lemon (minus just the yellow part of peel, and seeds)-- some cucumber (about a 2 inch slice?)-- some dried dill weed-- some hot pepper (about 1/2 of a hot green pepper),-- a tiny bit of garlic (maybe 1/2 a clove?)-- a tiny bit of ginger (similar to the amt of garlic) minus peel.BLEND in a blender until completely smooth.Then add:-- the outside part of the tomatoes (from above)-- some onion (I think the amt I used is less than 1/4 of an onion)Blend BRIEFLY till the onion and tomato are chopped and mixed in, but not all theway smooth.Next time I'll use a little more ginger. I was very sparing with the flavors, because I'mreally not confident about what will be "too much".The second blending actually chopped the onion and tomato more than I wanted,I will also play around with that. Hand chopping them may work better.Moria jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Salad dressing... Gosh I used to use all those oil and vinegar things and thought I was being healthy....

Now I cook up a nice pot of black beans or lentils....  Add some tomato sauce and Chili spices and let it cook in the crock pot until nice and tender.    When I eat my salad, I dump a quarter cup of the warm bean mixture over my salad.  I have no desire for any of those salad dressings anymore....

<snip> Moria, I made your dressing below for dinner salad tonight.  The only couple of modifications I made were:  I used 1/2 lemon juice (1/2 a whole lemon) and the same amount of red wine vinegar instead of all lemon.  The other modification I made was to usepickled sushi ginger (the un-dyed version, not the pink kind) and I used about 2 T of that instead of fresh ginger.  It added a small bit of sweetness.  Everything else the same but maybe a bit more garlic than yours. IT ROCKS!

I gotta say, you have a GREAT recipe here!  Thank you very much!

Jennifer

<snip>

jennifer trump

jennifur

-- " Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. You can be good at what you have to do or you can be unstopable at what you aspire to do. "

Guest guest

Timothy,

That sounds yummy! Could you give

approximate measurements for the cooking impaired to start with?

Judy

On Behalf Of Timothy Snider

Salad dressing... Gosh I used to use all those oil and vinegar things

and thought I was being healthy....

Now I cook up a nice pot of black beans or lentils.... Add some

tomato sauce and Chili spices and let it cook in the crock pot until nice and

tender. When I eat my salad, I dump a quarter cup of the warm

bean mixture over my salad. I have no desire for any of those salad

dressings anymore....

Guest guest

Sure, here's what I do.  If the spices aren't to my liking, I add a little more...

This time around I used one bag of Lentils soaked for 24 hours.

2 cans of Tomato Sauce

1 Tablespoon of minced garlic

2 Tablespoons of Chili powder

2 teaspoons of Cumin (I also added a few shakes later as it wasn't strong enough)

1 onion chopped

Put it on high and cooked overnight in the crock pot.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Judy Goldsmith <judyjtg wrote:

Recent Activity

New Members

Visit Your Group

Dog Zone

on

Join a Group

all about dogs.

Mom Power

Find wholesome recipes

and more. Go Moms Go!

Health Groups

for people over 40

Join people who are

staying in shape.

-- " Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. You can be good at what you have to do or you can be unstopable at what you aspire to do. "

Guest guest

Thanks! I’ve been buying huge bags

of greens at Sam’s Club and wanting a vegan dressing. (I’m still

using up old non-vegan foods.)

Judy

On Behalf Of Timothy Snider

Sure, here's what I do. If the spices aren't to my liking, I add

a little more...

This time around I used one bag of Lentils soaked for 24 hours.

2 cans of Tomato Sauce

1 Tablespoon of minced garlic

2 Tablespoons of Chili powder

2 teaspoons of Cumin (I also added a few shakes later as it wasn't

strong enough)

1 onion chopped

Put it on high and cooked

overnight in the crock pot.

Guest guest

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it. FWIW, I'm also kinda of

in love with blended tomatoes. I don't know if I've mentioned it here or

not LOL. I just cut a few tomatoes in 1/2 or 1/4s and put in my high-speed

blender and blend. It's hardly " a recipe " but it is delicious -- I'm not sure

what to call it, either -- it is not " tomato juice " but rather " tomato blend " .

Anyway, that is what started me toward blended tomato innards as a dressing.

(I recenlty bought a Blendtec blender, so I'm occassionally experimenting

with blended foods.)

I've never eaten much sushi -- I've probably

eaten bits of sushi ginger, but I've never really used it as an ingredient

or even thought about it. Does it have sugar added?

BTW the lemon I used is a meyer lemon (they are much sweeter).

But saying that may not be so helpful, since meyer lemons are not

usually available commercially, as far as I'm aware. (You have to have

a tree or a friend with a tree).

Thanks,

Moria

At 05:36 AM 4/15/2009, you wrote:

>Moria, I made your dressing below for dinner salad tonight. The only

>couple of modifications I made were: I used 1/2 lemon juice (1/2 a

>whole lemon) and the same amount of red wine vinegar instead of all

>lemon. The other modification I made was to use pickled sushi ginger

>(the un-dyed version, not the pink kind) and I used about 2 T of that

>instead of fresh ginger. It added a small bit of sweetness.

>Everything else the same but maybe a bit more garlic than yours. IT

>ROCKS!

>

>I gotta say, you have a GREAT recipe here! Thank you very much!

>

>Jennifer

Guest guest

Yes, the regular ginger might have been better and of course mayer lemons are outstanding.  But I didn't think I had ginger on hand - I found it AFTER I made the dressing, don't you know?  It was a bit thick, even still.  I now have several hunks left over from the seeded tomatoes.  Maybe I'll whirl those up in the blender with some other stuff today and try to make a dressing too.  Otherwise I fear they will go bad and it's a shame to lose all that tomato.  Hubby wants me to make a casserole tonight with black-eyed peas and oatmeal.  If the recipe comes out I'll post it here.  JTOn Apr 15, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Moria Merriweather wrote:Hi Jennifer,Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it. FWIW, I'm also kinda ofin love with blended tomatoes. I don't know if I've mentioned it here ornot LOL. I just cut a few tomatoes in 1/2 or 1/4s and put in my high-speedblender and blend. It's hardly "a recipe" but it is delicious -- I'm not surewhat to call it, either -- it is not "tomato juice" but rather "tomato blend".Anyway, that is what started me toward blended tomato innards as a dressing.(I recenlty bought a Blendtec blender, so I'm occassionally experimentingwith blended foods.)I've never eaten much sushi -- I've probablyeaten bits of sushi ginger, but I've never really used it as an ingredientor even thought about it. Does it have sugar added?BTW the lemon I used is a meyer lemon (they are much sweeter).But saying that may not be so helpful, since meyer lemons are notusually available commercially, as far as I'm aware. (You have to havea tree or a friend with a tree).Thanks,MoriaAt 05:36 AM 4/15/2009, you wrote:>Moria, I made your dressing below for dinner salad tonight. The only>couple of modifications I made were: I used 1/2 lemon juice (1/2 a>whole lemon) and the same amount of red wine vinegar instead of all>lemon. The other modification I made was to use pickled sushi ginger>(the un-dyed version, not the pink kind) and I used about 2 T of that>instead of fresh ginger. It added a small bit of sweetness.>Everything else the same but maybe a bit more garlic than yours. IT>ROCKS!>>I gotta say, you have a GREAT recipe here! Thank you very much!>>Jennifer jennifer trumpjennifur