IndiaDivine.org

Black-Eyed Pea and Oat Casserole

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Wow, we had this for supper tonight. I LOVED it.  Steam-fry the veggies instead of oil-fry for fat free.  Use a cast-iron skillet if possible from start to finish.2 tspns oil, or water for steam-fry1 onion, chopped (I used a large)1/2 green pepper (or 1 small), chopped2 tspns fresh ginger, grated2 tspns fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried1 tsp cumin1 cup rolled oats1 cup water2 T shoyu1-1/2 cups pre-cooked black-eyed peas (I soaked mine overnight and cooked them with onion powder & salt for 45 mins)1/2 to 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs (I used frozen bread that I crumbed in the Vitamix; 2 slices)Either use a small amount of oil or steam-fry your onion, green pepper and ginger until soft but not mush.  Add the spices and oats, and dry-cook on low heat until the oatmeal is a toasty brown, stirring CONSTANTLY to prevent burning.  Add the water and shoyu and stir once; immediately take off the heat (you need all that liquid to stay put and not evaporate).  Move mixture into a small casserole dish.  I used a 9x13 brownie pan and it was a little big.  A cast iron skillet would be SUPERB from beginning to end.  Top with the cooked black-eyed peas.  Add the bread crumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  I bet nutritional yeast would be good on this too. (FYI I used oil to fry my onion & pepper mixture, but once I added the oatmeal it became a very dry mix in the pan, so just be sure if you steam-fry your veggies that you evaporate ALL the liquid before you add the oatmeal, or you will have a totally different dish.  And be sure to keep stirring it.)I could eat this once a week.  I think tomorrow I'll use the rest (it only serves 4) to stuff into two peppers.  I might even add some fennel and green onion.  Adapted from:  Cooking with the Right Side of the Brain by Vicki Rae ChelfGOOD EATING, EVERYONE!jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Sounds great, Jennifer. Would never have thought of using rolled oats in a dish like this. Although I do have a little Quaker Oats booklet from a few years back which has unique ways of using oats in it. I'll have to dig it out. All the recipes I tried in it were good. Just had forgotten about it until now. Martha

Guest guest

I look forward to more savory oat recipes.  I especially liked the part where I toasted the rolled oats with the other savory ingredients.  The whole dish reminded me of a dish my old boyfriend used to call "ala" which was cracked bulgar wheat made similarly - toasting it with the veggies before using liquid to finish it off like rice.  Of course, back then we stuffed it into poor dead ducks he had shot for sport (yikes!).  Meat-(and bird) free today.  Yeah!JTOn Apr 16, 2009, at 8:06 PM, Martha wrote:Sounds great, Jennifer. Would never have thought of using rolled oats in a dish like this. Although I do have a little Quaker Oats booklet from a few years back which has unique ways of using oats in it. I'll have to dig it out. All the recipes I tried in it were good. Just had forgotten about it until now. Martha jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Just real quickly, I halved this recipe and made it today and I really enjoyed it. I think that I will run out tomarrow and get a couple of peppers to stuff with it. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Stef

"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."

***Christine Stevens--- On Thu, 4/16/09, jennifer trump <jennifur wrote:

jennifer trump <jennifur Black-Eyed Pea and Oat Casserole Received: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 8:53 PM

Wow, we had this for supper tonight. I LOVED it. Steam-fry the veggies instead of oil-fry for fat free. Use a cast-iron skillet if possible from start to finish.

2 tspns oil, or water for steam-fry

1 onion, chopped (I used a large)

1/2 green pepper (or 1 small), chopped

2 tspns fresh ginger, grated

2 tspns fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried

1 tsp cumin

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup water

2 T shoyu

1-1/2 cups pre-cooked black-eyed peas (I soaked mine overnight and cooked them with onion powder & salt for 45 mins)

1/2 to 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs (I used frozen bread that I crumbed in the Vitamix; 2 slices)

Either use a small amount of oil or steam-fry your onion, green pepper and ginger until soft but not mush. Add the spices and oats, and dry-cook on low heat until the oatmeal is a toasty brown, stirring CONSTANTLY to prevent burning.

Add the water and shoyu and stir once; immediately take off the heat (you need all that liquid to stay put and not evaporate). Move mixture into a small casserole dish. I used a 9x13 brownie pan and it was a little big. A cast iron skillet would be SUPERB from beginning to end. Top with the cooked black-eyed peas. Add the bread crumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. I bet nutritional yeast would be good on this too.

(FYI I used oil to fry my onion & pepper mixture, but once I added the oatmeal it became a very dry mix in the pan, so just be sure if you steam-fry your veggies that you evaporate ALL the liquid before you add the oatmeal, or you will have a totally different dish. And be sure to keep stirring it.)

I could eat this once a week. I think tomorrow I'll use the rest (it only serves 4) to stuff into two peppers. I might even add some fennel and green onion.

Adapted from:

Cooking with the Right Side of the Brain by Vicki Rae Chelf

GOOD EATING, EVERYONE!

jennifer trump

jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Guest guest

I'm so glad someone tried it.  I just fell in love with it.Be sure to steam your peppers at least 10 minutes before you stuff & bake them - otherwise the stuffing will turn to mush.JTOn Apr 21, 2009, at 6:19 PM, steff davidson wrote:Just real quickly, I halved this recipe and made it today and I really enjoyed it. I think that I will run out tomarrow and get a couple of peppers to stuff with it. Thanks for the yummy recipe.Stef"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."***Christine Stevens--- On Thu, 4/16/09, jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Black-Eyed Pea and Oat Casserole Received: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 8:53 PMWow, we had this for supper tonight. I LOVED it.  Steam-fry the veggies instead of oil-fry for fat free.  Use a cast-iron skillet if possible from start to finish.2 tspns oil, or water for steam-fry1 onion, chopped (I used a large)1/2 green pepper (or 1 small), chopped2 tspns fresh ginger, grated2 tspns fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried1 tsp cumin1 cup rolled oats1 cup water2 T shoyu1-1/2 cups pre-cooked black-eyed peas (I soaked mine overnight and cooked them with onion powder & salt for 45 mins)1/2 to 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs (I used frozen bread that I crumbed in the Vitamix; 2 slices)Either use a small amount of oil or steam-fry your onion, green pepper and ginger until soft but not mush.  Add the spices and oats, and dry-cook on low heat until the oatmeal is a toasty brown, stirring CONSTANTLY to prevent burning.  Add the water and shoyu and stir once; immediately take off the heat (you need all that liquid to stay put and not evaporate).  Move mixture into a small casserole dish.  I used a 9x13 brownie pan and it was a little big.  A cast iron skillet would be SUPERB from beginning to end.  Top with the cooked black-eyed peas.  Add the bread crumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  I bet nutritional yeast would be good on this too. (FYI I used oil to fry my onion & pepper mixture, but once I added the oatmeal it became a very dry mix in the pan, so just be sure if you steam-fry your veggies that you evaporate ALL the liquid before you add the oatmeal, or you will have a totally different dish.  And be sure to keep stirring it.)I could eat this once a week.  I think tomorrow I'll use the rest (it only serves 4) to stuff into two peppers.  I might even add some fennel and green onion.  Adapted from:  Cooking with the Right Side of the Brain by Vicki Rae ChelfGOOD EATING, EVERYONE!jennifer trumpjennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) netLooking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr! jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Good tip! Thanks!

Stef

"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."

***Christine Stevens--- On Tue, 4/21/09, jennifer trump <jennifur wrote:

jennifer trump <jennifurRe: Black-Eyed Pea and Oat Casserole Received: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 9:23 PM

I'm so glad someone tried it. I just fell in love with it.

Be sure to steam your peppers at least 10 minutes before you stuff & bake them - otherwise the stuffing will turn to mush.

JT

On Apr 21, 2009, at 6:19 PM, steff davidson wrote:

Just real quickly, I halved this recipe and made it today and I really enjoyed it. I think that I will run out tomarrow and get a couple of peppers to stuff with it. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Stef

***Christine Stevens--- On Thu, 4/16/09, jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

jennifer trump <jennifur (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Black-Eyed Pea and Oat CasseroleReceived: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 8:53 PM

Wow, we had this for supper tonight. I LOVED it. Steam-fry the veggies instead of oil-fry for fat free. Use a cast-iron skillet if possible from start to finish.

2 tspns oil, or water for steam-fry

1 onion, chopped (I used a large)

1/2 green pepper (or 1 small), chopped

2 tspns fresh ginger, grated

2 tspns fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried

1 tsp cumin

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup water

2 T shoyu

1-1/2 cups pre-cooked black-eyed peas (I soaked mine overnight and cooked them with onion powder & salt for 45 mins)

1/2 to 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs (I used frozen bread that I crumbed in the Vitamix; 2 slices)

Either use a small amount of oil or steam-fry your onion, green pepper and ginger until soft but not mush. Add the spices and oats, and dry-cook on low heat until the oatmeal is a toasty brown, stirring CONSTANTLY to prevent burning.

Add the water and shoyu and stir once; immediately take off the heat (you need all that liquid to stay put and not evaporate). Move mixture into a small casserole dish. I used a 9x13 brownie pan and it was a little big. A cast iron skillet would be SUPERB from beginning to end. Top with the cooked black-eyed peas. Add the bread crumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. I bet nutritional yeast would be good on this too.

(FYI I used oil to fry my onion & pepper mixture, but once I added the oatmeal it became a very dry mix in the pan, so just be sure if you steam-fry your veggies that you evaporate ALL the liquid before you add the oatmeal, or you will have a totally different dish. And be sure to keep stirring it.)

I could eat this once a week. I think tomorrow I'll use the rest (it only serves 4) to stuff into two peppers. I might even add some fennel and green onion.

Adapted from:

Cooking with the Right Side of the Brain by Vicki Rae Chelf

GOOD EATING, EVERYONE!

jennifer trump

jennifer trump

Guest guest

I tried this, but forgot the cumin. It was still delicious!! I think I might try it as a filling for stuffed peppers--that sounds good.

Randy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what is for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb disputing the decision.---Ben Franklin