IndiaDivine.org

Silk Soymilk.....bye, bye Organic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The third owners of Silk Soymilk (White Wave, Inc.) have eliminated organic soybeans from their traditional soymilks. They are using the same carton design as before, but have replaced the word "Organic" with "Natural". They claim that their Organic Soymilk is still available (in a different looking carton), but my searches have found that supermarkets aren't giving them additional shelf space, so I couldn't find the organic product. Maybe it is available somewhere.I have been a long time customer. I included their Very Vanilla, Vanilla, Original, and Chocolate flavors in my purchases. Now, I find that the original chocolate and vanilla tastes seem to be a thing of the past. In my opinion, the taste isn't as good as it was. I think they may be buying lower quality ingredients, besides eliminating the organic soybeans. I am not privy to their company secrets, but that is my opinion as a long-time customer. Although their material costs are less than before, they are not passing the savings on to the consumer. I guess that's the way it usually is when a company with a great reputation is sold, and then sold again.I'm looking for a brand of great tasting organic soymilk to replace Silk brands on my shopping list. Any helpful suggestions?FYI: ["Organic food labeling - For foods to be labeled and sold as organic, they must be produced and processed according to the National Organic Program standards under 7 C.F.R. Part 205. The farm where organic food is grown, as well as the companies that handle or process the organic food, must meet the USDA organic standards. The regulations provide for four approved organic labeling claims based on four distinctions of organic content. To label a product "100 percent organic," the product must be composed of wholly organic ingredients and must not have any nonorganic ingredients or additives. To label a product "organic," the product must contain at least 95 percent of organically produced ingredients. To label a product "made with organic ingredients," the product must contain 70 percent organic ingredients. Other products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients can only specify the organic ingredient(s) in the ingredients statement. The USDA seal can be placed only on foods that qualify as "100 percent organic" and "organic."Natural food labeling - Both FDA and USDA have policies regarding natural food labeling. They both provide that "natural" means that no artificial or synthetic ingredients have been added. USDA specifically prohibits artificial flavor, coloring ingredients, or chemical preservatives. USDA allows minimal processing, specifying that such processing is limited to traditional processes used to make food safe for human consumption or to preserve it or to processes that do not alter the raw product. FDA allows a limited group of chemical reactions (roasting, heating, and enzymolysis can be used to produce natural flavors)".] http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/overviews/foodlabeling.html

Guest guest

I was wondering the same thing. Our supermarket sells Silk and now Silk Organic, but it is more expensive! I was annoyed when I saw that and have started buying our Lowes' Foods store brand (I am in NC) which is organic. Our Harris Teeter also has an organic store brand. Also, I go to Earth Fare and purchase fresh almond milk now instead of soy because I have noted the taste of Silk go downhill as well and the prices seem to keep climbing. So, I am now staying away from Silk brand if I can help it. Thanks for letting us know the background. -Becky

-

roysnorm

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:55 AM

The third owners of Silk Soymilk (White Wave, Inc.) have eliminated organic soybeans from their traditional soymilks. They are using the same carton design as before, but have replaced the word "Organic" with "Natural". They claim that their Organic Soymilk is still available (in a different looking carton), but my searches have found that supermarkets aren't giving them additional shelf space, so I couldn't find the organic product. Maybe it is available somewhere.I have been a long time customer. I included their Very Vanilla, Vanilla, Original, and Chocolate flavors in my purchases. Now, I find that the original chocolate and vanilla tastes seem to be a thing of the past. In my opinion, the taste isn't as good as it was. I think they may be buying lower quality ingredients, besides eliminating the organic soybeans. I am not privy to their company secrets, but that is my opinion as a long-time customer. Although their material costs are less than before, they are not passing the savings on to the consumer. I guess that's the way it usually is when a company with a great reputation is sold, and then sold again.I'm looking for a brand of great tasting organic soymilk to replace Silk brands on my shopping list. Any helpful suggestions?FYI: ["Organic food labeling - For foods to be labeled and sold as organic, they must be produced and processed according to the National Organic Program standards under 7 C.F.R. Part 205. The farm where organic food is grown, as well as the companies that handle or process the organic food, must meet the USDA organic standards. The regulations provide for four approved organic labeling claims based on four distinctions of organic content. To label a product "100 percent organic," the product must be composed of wholly organic ingredients and must not have any nonorganic ingredients or additives. To label a product "organic," the product must contain at least 95 percent of organically produced ingredients. To label a product "made with organic ingredients," the product must contain 70 percent organic ingredients. Other products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients can only specify the organic ingredient(s) in the ingredients statement. The USDA seal can be placed only on foods that qualify as "100 percent organic" and "organic."Natural food labeling - Both FDA and USDA have policies regarding natural food labeling. They both provide that "natural" means that no artificial or synthetic ingredients have been added. USDA specifically prohibits artificial flavor, coloring ingredients, or chemical preservatives. USDA allows minimal processing, specifying that such processing is limited to traditional processes used to make food safe for human consumption or to preserve it or to processes that do not alter the raw product. FDA allows a limited group of chemical reactions (roasting, heating, and enzymolysis can be used to produce natural flavors)".] http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/overviews/foodlabeling.html

Guest guest

This  means, of course, that the beans used in Silk Regular soymilk are not only not organic, they are GMO.  In addition to that, their Soy " Creamer "  is made with palmoil, which is a highly saturated  oil  (very unhealthful), and  the production of which adds to the destruction of forests, contributing to global warming  (see website of Center for Science in the Public Interest).

********Watch out as well for their tofu or any of their other products which contain soymilk or tofu!*******    We got the new Silk Organic  - it comes in a bright green carton,  but the store (A & P) only had it once.

There is a very tasty organic product called ZENSOY which has a fairly wide distribution -- (www.zensoy.com)      Or you might look for  Organic Valley Soymilk.   And, thank goodness, there

is the old standby, Edensoy, which comes in aseptic packages.  We used this for years and years.  -  Get it mostly at the health food store..       I am looking forward togetting  a soymilk machine and making soymilk  myself when my kitchen is completed!

Any suggestions about or experiences with  Soymilk Machines???????                                      Martha Williams

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Rebecca Gosky <rgosky wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.  Our supermarket sells Silk and now Silk Organic, but it is more expensive!  I was annoyed when I saw that and have started buying our Lowes' Foods store brand (I am in NC) which is organic.  Our Harris Teeter also has an organic store brand.  Also, I go to Earth Fare and purchase fresh almond milk now instead of soy because I have noted the taste of Silk go downhill as well and the prices seem to keep climbing.  So, I am now staying away from Silk brand if I can help it.  Thanks for letting us know the background.  -Becky

-

roysnorm

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:55 AM

The third owners of Silk Soymilk (White Wave, Inc.) have eliminated organic soybeans from their traditional soymilks.  They are using the same carton design as before, but have replaced the word " Organic " with " Natural " .  They claim that their Organic Soymilk is still available (in a different looking carton), but my searches have found that supermarkets aren't giving them additional shelf space, so I couldn't find the organic product.  Maybe it is available somewhere.I have been a long time customer.  I included their Very Vanilla, Vanilla, Original, and Chocolate flavors in my purchases.  Now, I find that the original chocolate and vanilla tastes seem to be a thing of the past.  In my opinion, the taste isn't as good as it was.  I think they may be buying lower quality ingredients, besides eliminating the organic soybeans.  I am not privy to their company secrets, but that is my opinion as a long-time customer.  Although their material costs are less than before, they are not passing the savings on to the consumer.  I guess that's the way it usually is when a company with a great reputation is sold, and then sold again.I'm looking for a brand of great tasting organic soymilk to replace Silk brands on my shopping list.  Any helpful suggestions?FYI: [ " Organic food labeling - For foods to be labeled and sold as organic, they must be produced and processed according to the National Organic Program standards under 7 C.F.R. Part 205. The farm where organic food is grown, as well as the companies that handle or process the organic food, must meet the USDA organic standards. The regulations provide for four approved organic labeling claims based on four distinctions of organic content. To label a product " 100 percent organic, " the product must be composed of wholly organic ingredients and must not have any nonorganic ingredients or additives. To label a product " organic, " the product must contain at least 95 percent of organically produced ingredients. To label a product " made with organic ingredients, " the product must contain 70 percent organic ingredients. Other products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients can only specify the organic ingredient(s) in the ingredients statement. The USDA seal can be placed only on foods that qualify as " 100 percent organic " and " organic. " Natural food labeling - Both FDA and USDA have policies regarding natural food labeling. They both provide that " natural " means that no artificial or synthetic ingredients have been added. USDA specifically prohibits artificial flavor, coloring ingredients, or chemical preservatives. USDA allows minimal processing, specifying that such processing is limited to traditional processes used to make food safe for human consumption or to preserve it or to processes that do not alter the raw product. FDA allows a limited group of chemical reactions (roasting, heating, and enzymolysis can be used to produce natural flavors) " .] http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/overviews/foodlabeling.html

Guest guest

Dear Group,

Hello to all

! This is my first post to the list. Couldn’t resist the silk discussion.

I stopped using Silk long ago because of the presence of carrageenan in their

formula. Dr Weil recommends against this product because of the way it is manufactured.

You can go on his site, www.drweil.com,

to read his arguments if you want. I respect his opinion, so use soymilk

products that use kombu instead. Better still, I am learning to make my own nut

milks. So far it’s been a messy process – don’t have the

method down yet, but the milk tastes great.

Kathy

Guest guest

Wow - that's ridiculous!  I'm a firm believer in letting companies know my (humble) opinion - I'll be sure to double-check facts and then write them.  I'll let you guys know if they write me back.On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:55 PM, roysnorm wrote:The third owners of Silk Soymilk (White Wave, Inc.) have eliminated organic soybeans from their traditional soymilks.  They are using the same carton design as before, but have replaced the word "Organic" with "Natural".  They claim that their Organic Soymilk is still available (in a different looking carton), but my searches have found that supermarkets aren't giving them additional shelf space, so I couldn't find the organic product.  Maybe it is available somewhere.I have been a long time customer.  I included their Very Vanilla, Vanilla, Original, and Chocolate flavors in my purchases.  Now, I find that the original chocolate and vanilla tastes seem to be a thing of the past.  In my opinion, the taste isn't as good as it was.  I think they may be buying lower quality ingredients, besides eliminating the organic soybeans.  I am not privy to their company secrets, but that is my opinion as a long-time customer.  Although their material costs are less than before, they are not passing the savings on to the consumer.  I guess that's the way it usually is when a company with a great reputation is sold, and then sold again.I'm looking for a brand of great tasting organic soymilk to replace Silk brands on my shopping list.  Any helpful suggestions?FYI: ["Organic food labeling - For foods to be labeled and sold as organic, they must be produced and processed according to the National Organic Program standards under 7 C.F.R. Part 205. The farm where organic food is grown, as well as the companies that handle or process the organic food, must meet the USDA organic standards. The regulations provide for four approved organic labeling claims based on four distinctions of organic content. To label a product "100 percent organic," the product must be composed of wholly organic ingredients and must not have any nonorganic ingredients or additives. To label a product "organic," the product must contain at least 95 percent of organically produced ingredients. To label a product "made with organic ingredients," the product must contain 70 percent organic ingredients. Other products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients can only specify the organic ingredient(s) in the ingredients statement. The USDA seal can be placed only on foods that qualify as "100 percent organic" and "organic."Natural food labeling - Both FDA and USDA have policies regarding natural food labeling. They both provide that "natural" means that no artificial or synthetic ingredients have been added. USDA specifically prohibits artificial flavor, coloring ingredients, or chemical preservatives. USDA allows minimal processing, specifying that such processing is limited to traditional processes used to make food safe for human consumption or to preserve it or to processes that do not alter the raw product. FDA allows a limited group of chemical reactions (roasting, heating, and enzymolysis can be used to produce natural flavors)".] http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/overviews/foodlabeling.html jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Does anyone else use Kikkoman Pearl? It's certified organic and non-GMO. I don't know anything about the ethics of the company, but it's the brand my family likes best and is usually the cheapest and often on sale.

For soymilk makers, I love the SoyQuick Premier. I haven't been using it much lately due to lack of time/planning, but it works great. Unfortunately, my daughter just doesn't like homemade soymilk, so I always have aseptic boxes of the Pearl on-hand.

There are photos of the SoyQuick in action on my blog, http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10/making-tofu.html . Homemade tofu is probably the best reason to get one. It's amazing!

Susan

-------------Susan VoisinFatFree Vegan Kitchenhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com-------------

-

martha williams

Monday, April 20, 2009 8:01 AM

Re: Silk Soymilk.....bye, bye Organic

This means, of course, that the beans used in Silk Regular soymilk are not only not organic, they are GMO. In addition to that, their Soy "Creamer" is made with palm

oil, which is a highly saturated oil (very unhealthful), and the production of which adds to the destruction of forests, contributing to global warming (see website of Center for Science in the Public Interest).

********Watch out as well for their tofu or any of their other products which contain soymilk or tofu!*******

We got the new Silk Organic - it comes in a bright green carton, but the store (A & P) only had it once.

There is a very tasty organic product called ZENSOY which has a fairly wide distribution -- (www.zensoy.com) Or you might look for Organic Valley Soymilk. And, thank goodness, there

is the old standby, Edensoy, which comes in aseptic packages. We used this for years and years. - Get it mostly at the health food store.. I am looking forward to

getting a soymilk machine and making soymilk myself when my kitchen is completed!

Any suggestions about or experiences with Soymilk Machines???????

Martha Williams

Guest guest

I stopped using Silk Soymilk and am using WestSoy Organic unsweetened. Ingredients, Filtered water, whole organic soybeans...thats it.

Lucille--- On Mon, 4/20/09, Susan Voisin <susan wrote:

Susan Voisin <susanRe: Silk Soymilk.....bye, bye Organic Date: Monday, April 20, 2009, 9:42 AM

Does anyone else use Kikkoman Pearl? It's certified organic and non-GMO. I don't know anything about the ethics of the company, but it's the brand my family likes best and is usually the cheapest and often on sale.

For soymilk makers, I love the SoyQuick Premier. I haven't been using it much lately due to lack of time/planning, but it works great. Unfortunately, my daughter just doesn't like homemade soymilk, so I always have aseptic boxes of the Pearl on-hand.

There are photos of the SoyQuick in action on my blog, http://blog. fatfreevegan. com/2008/ 10/making- tofu.html . Homemade tofu is probably the best reason to get one. It's amazing!

Susan

------------ --------- --------- --------- -------Susan VoisinFatFree Vegan Kitchenhttp://blog. fatfreevegan. com------------ --------- --------- --------- -------

-

martha williams

Monday, April 20, 2009 8:01 AM

Re: Silk Soymilk..... bye, bye Organic

This means, of course, that the beans used in Silk Regular soymilk are not only not organic, they are GMO. In addition to that, their Soy "Creamer" is made with palm oil, which is a highly saturated oil (very unhealthful) , and the production of which adds to the destruction of forests, contributing to global warming (see website of Center for Science in the Public Interest).

********Watch out as well for their tofu or any of their other products which contain soymilk or tofu!*******

We got the new Silk Organic - it comes in a bright green carton, but the store (A & P) only had it once.

There is a very tasty organic product called ZENSOY which has a fairly wide distribution -- (www.zensoy.com) Or you might look for Organic Valley Soymilk. And, thank goodness, there

is the old standby, Edensoy, which comes in aseptic packages. We used this for years and years. - Get it mostly at the health food store.. I am looking forward to

getting a soymilk machine and making soymilk myself when my kitchen is completed!

Any suggestions about or experiences with Soymilk Machines???? ???

Martha Williams

Guest guest

Does anyone have any substitution for Silk Soy Creamer? I don't want to use all of that saturated palm oil, but sometimes I like to have the thicker "cream" product in recipes. Has anyone used a thickener with regular organic soymilk with any luck? -Becky

Guest guest

Wow, we tried everything to get that creaminess in coffee.  Finally just gave up and started using regular soy milk - it takes a couple of weeks to get used to it, but now my husband is hooked and tells me not to buy Silk creamer anymore.  It's just like cheese, you have to just give up that idea that things can be like they were - they can't in vegan.  It's different.On Apr 20, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Rebecca Gosky wrote:Does anyone have any substitution for Silk Soy Creamer?  I don't want to use all of that saturated palm oil, but sometimes I like to have the thicker "cream" product in recipes.  Has anyone used a thickener with regular organic soymilk with any luck?  -Becky jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

Martha wrote [[This means, of course, that the beans used in Silk Regular

soymilk are not only not organic, they are GMO.]]

** I agree. To my knowledge, the most heavily GMO'd crops out there are soy,

corn and wheat.

Martha again [[Watch out as well for their tofu or any of their other products

which contain soymilk or tofu!]]

** Which is why I make my own tofu, and have for many years. I can be assured

of the ingredients.

Lucille wrote [[i stopped using Silk Soymilk and am using WestSoy Organic

unsweetened. Ingredients, Filtered water, whole organic soybeans...thats it.]]

** Yea .. Im all for less-is-best when it comes to ingredient labels.

Om Peace!

Yogini Valarie Devi

GAVegetarian/

Guest guest

I only used Silk soymilk to transition from animal " abuse " milk to animal

" friendly " milk. I have found WestSoy to be #1 choice for the soymilks. They do

have an organic variety, as well. It certaintly cheaper than Silk.

Guest guest

I might add that a quick look at White Wave's   website   (check " executive biographies " )  will inform you that the current CEO formerly worked for Coca-Cola, Proctor and Gamble, Gillette,

and others.......-   This appears at every facet to be just another sellout to Big Money.  We are fortunate that we have other options.       Martha WilliamsA caveat:   On their website, you will see page after page of self approbation.....

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM, yogini_valarie <yogini_valarie wrote:

Martha wrote [[This means, of course, that the beans used in Silk Regular soymilk are not only not organic, they are GMO.]]

** I agree. To my knowledge, the most heavily GMO'd crops out there are soy, corn and wheat.

Martha again [[Watch out as well for their tofu or any of their other products which contain soymilk or tofu!]]

** Which is why I make my own tofu, and have for many years. I can be assured of the ingredients.

Lucille wrote [[i stopped using Silk Soymilk and am using WestSoy Organic unsweetened. Ingredients, Filtered water, whole organic soybeans...thats it.]]

** Yea .. Im all for less-is-best when it comes to ingredient labels.

Om Peace!

Yogini Valarie Devi

GAVegetarian/

Guest guest

Thank you very much, Martha.  I have sent a scathing letter to Silk designed to get a response quickly.  Hopefully I can post their reply soon.JTOn Apr 20, 2009, at 9:29 AM, martha williams wrote:I might add that a quick look at White Wave's   website   (check "executive biographies")  will inform you that the current CEO formerly worked for Coca-Cola, Proctor and Gamble, Gillette,and others.......-   This appears at every facet to be just another sellout to Big Money.  We are fortunate that we have other options.       Martha WilliamsA caveat:   On their website, you will see page after page of self approbation.....On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM, yogini_valarie <yogini_valarie >wrote:Martha wrote [[This means, of course, that the beans used in Silk Regular soymilk are not only not organic, they are GMO.]]** I agree. To my knowledge, the most heavily GMO'd crops out there are soy, corn and wheat.Martha again [[Watch out as well for their tofu or any of their other products which contain soymilk or tofu!]]** Which is why I make my own tofu, and have for many years. I can be assured of the ingredients.Lucille wrote [[i stopped using Silk Soymilk and am using WestSoy Organic unsweetened. Ingredients, Filtered water, whole organic soybeans...thats it.]]** Yea .. Im all for less-is-best when it comes to ingredient labels.Om Peace!Yogini Valarie DeviGAVegetarian/ jennifer trumpjennifur