IndiaDivine.org

Silk Soymilk.....bye, bye Organic - NOT GMO

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sorry. Wrong. SILK has never and does not use GMO soybeans.Yes, they have raised the cost of organic milk due to the higher cost of organic beans.We use SILK because they are an environmentally ethical company, use sustainable crops and try to keep their business practices decent.I also make soymilk. There are innumerable machines out there. Mine is a Salton and it's okay.But, please don't assume because a company is forced by the high cost of crops to raise the price of its product that the product is compromised.Shen

Guest guest

We're not talking about raising the cost of their products. Read their website.  Where did their current president come from?How are you so sure they don't use GMO beans?  Nearly all non-organic soybeans produced in the US are now GMO.

Remember - just because they SAY they are environmentally responsibledoesn't mean they are.  Their use of palm oil is just one example of questionable practices.  Do you own their stock?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM, shenoa <shenoa wrote:

Sorry. Wrong. SILK has never and does not use GMO soybeans.Yes, they have raised the cost of organic milk due to the higher cost of organic beans.

We use SILK because they are an environmentally ethical company, use sustainable crops and try to keep their business practices decent.I also make soymilk. There are innumerable machines out there. Mine is a Salton and it's okay.

But, please don't assume because a company is forced by the high cost of crops to raise the price of its product that the product is compromised.Shen

Guest guest

No. I don't own their stock. I have personally spoken with their CEO about their products at a professional council.I am a physician and a naturopathic physician and at some point I have to trust that if they say they are not using GMO soybeans, they are not.BTW, many, many of my colleagues come from backgrounds that are not necessarily "politically correct" (especially to vegans and vegetarians) and that is why they are no longer doing what they have done in the past.As far as palm oil is concerned, "the jury is still out".There are many ongoing and contemporary studies that see benefits to its use in small amounts. It is a major contribution to some third world diets and studies are being conducted to see what, if any, benefits of the oil contribute to disease-free life.If would suggest, taking a breath, calming down a bit and doing some

real contact with this company and its hierarchy before jumping to conclusions.I also, for many years, have not even been an advocate of using soymilk or tofu. The processing affects the phytoestrogens and is also difficult to digest. The only soy products have ever suggested to my patients are tempeh and miso because of the heklpful bacteria and harmless processing.Soy, of any sort, however, is not fat free.Shen

Guest guest

Right onOn Apr 21, 2009, at 7:54 AM, shenoa wrote:No. I don't own their stock. I have personally spoken with their CEO about their products at a professional council.I am a physician and a naturopathic physician and at some point I have to trust that if they say they are not using GMO soybeans, they are not.BTW, many, many of my colleagues come from backgrounds that are not necessarily "politically correct" (especially to vegans and vegetarians) and that is why they are no longer doing what they have done in the past.As far as palm oil is concerned, "the jury is still out".There are many ongoing and contemporary studies that see benefits to its use in small amounts. It is a major contribution to some third world diets and studies are being conducted to see what, if any, benefits of the oil contribute to disease-free life.If would suggest, taking a breath, calming down a bit and doing some real contact with this company and its hierarchy before jumping to conclusions.I also, for many years, have not even been an advocate of using soymilk or tofu. The processing affects the phytoestrogens and is also difficult to digest. The only soy products  have ever suggested to my patients are tempeh and miso because of the heklpful bacteria and harmless processing.Soy, of any sort, however, is not fat free.Shen jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

I just got off the phone with the President of the Silk division and NO THEY DO NOT USE GMOs in ANY of their milk.Many of their staff come from "orange juice backgrounds". Coca-Cola also makes Minute Maid Orange Juice.Panic is not necessary here.I do suggest, however, if you are choosing to boycott products thoroughly check out the data.Some corporate heads take a longer time to come to enlightenment. I am a lot more disturbed by where corporate profits are invested than by where a fellow worked when he was 24 years old.Shen

Guest guest

Good!  It's easy these days to fly off the handle quickly with all the news - especially the stuff coming out of China where baby formula and the like are filled with toxins.  My husband worked for the FDA and our foods are so minimally tested that we don't even know what's going on.  And with corporate greed we can all read the writing on the wall - THERE IS NO GUARANTEE anymore that our foods are safe and they certainly for the most part, if processed, ARE NOT GOOD FOR US.  I'm so suspicious nowadays that hubby makes jokes about it, but it is totally serious to me.  And when I hear a rumor that SILK might be gobbled up by corporations that care nothing for me or my health, that they just might be using Monsanto products and creating some freaky new DNA inside me, well I'm up in arms before I even get past the first paragraph.  So this is a lesson to me, because I sent off my scathing letter without knowing anything but the rumor.  I am going to be more careful in the future.  But I'M STILL WORRIED.JTOn Apr 21, 2009, at 8:11 AM, shenoa wrote:I just got off the phone with the President of the Silk division and NO THEY DO NOT USE GMOs in ANY of their milk.Many of their staff come from "orange juice backgrounds". Coca-Cola also makes Minute Maid Orange Juice.Panic is not necessary here.I do suggest, however, if you are choosing to boycott products thoroughly check out the data.Some corporate heads take a longer time to come to enlightenment. I am a lot more disturbed by where corporate profits are invested than by where a fellow worked when he was 24 years old.Shen jennifer trumpjennifur

Guest guest

The more I read about food recalls, the more I personally feel it's time for those who can to go back to the basics.

I understand those who have their time cards filled with work, children, household chores, etc. But for those who have the ability, I think it's time we went back to doing as much from " scratch " as possible.

I come from the era when you walked in the door from school and Mom had dinner cooking on the stove, and perhaps a pan of cookies from the oven. Milk was delivered by the milkman, fresh from the dairy. Most families owned one car and certainly not two! If you needed bread, milk or eggs, one of the kids walked down the street to the local store to buy it.

OK, OK....I know this simply isn't the way things are done today....but there are still many things we can do to reduce our risk of tainted food. Go back to the basics...go back to " scratch " .

I bought a soymilk machine something like 3 or maybe 4 years ago, and I've never regretted it. Yes, it was pricey (I think about $170), but calculate how much you spend on soymilk at the stores now. How long does it take to spend more than that on soymilk? I can buy organic soybeans at my local health food store for about $1.49 lb, and that makes several gallons.

I've tried in vain to make my own tofu, but I will get up my courage and try again. That will just tickle me to be able to make my OWN tofu from my OWN soymilk!

I understand that we don't live in a " perfect " world, but all we can do is try to make our part of the world a little safer.

Guest guest

I agree with you in theory, but even from scratch isn't always a guarantee. Remember the E. coli spinach scare quite recently? Cooking fresh spinach is as basic as you can get. But like I said, I agree with your sentiment.

Where did you get the soymilk machine? I would prefer my soymilk without careeg-whatever it's called, and I'm having a difficult time finding soymilk without it.

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of MomcatTuesday, April 21, 2009 9:12 AM Subject: Re: Re: Silk Soymilk.....bye, bye Organic - NOT GMO

The more I read about food recalls, the more I personally feel it's time for those who can to go back to the basics.

I understand those who have their time cards filled with work, children, household chores, etc. But for those who have the ability, I think it's time we went back to doing as much from "scratch" as possible.

I come from the era when you walked in the door from school and Mom had dinner cooking on the stove, and perhaps a pan of cookies from the oven. Milk was delivered by the milkman, fresh from the dairy. Most families owned one car and certainly not two! If you needed bread, milk or eggs, one of the kids walked down the street to the local store to buy it.

OK, OK....I know this simply isn't the way things are done today....but there are still many things we can do to reduce our risk of tainted food. Go back to the basics...go back to "scratch".

I bought a soymilk machine something like 3 or maybe 4 years ago, and I've never regretted it. Yes, it was pricey (I think about $170), but calculate how much you spend on soymilk at the stores now. How long does it take to spend more than that on soymilk? I can buy organic soybeans at my local health food store for about $1.49 lb, and that makes several gallons.

I've tried in vain to make my own tofu, but I will get up my courage and try again. That will just tickle me to be able to make my OWN tofu from my OWN soymilk!

I understand that we don't live in a "perfect" world, but all we can do is try to make our part of the world a little safer.

Guest guest

Yes, I unfortunately remember the spinach scare....and wasn't there a tomato scare last year that turned out to be from jalepeno peppers?

True, anymore nothing is exempt from potential contamination....

I got my soymilk machine from Robert Cohen, The Notmilkman. I like it, but I am very disappointed that the support newslist is no longer active. That was the main reason I purchased mine from him. I would love to be able to network and chat with others who have the machine.

I know there are plenty of other good machines out there, and perhaps some of those have a good support group.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

I agree with you in theory, but even from scratch isn't always a guarantee.  Remember the E. coli spinach scare quite recently?  Cooking fresh spinach is as basic as you can get.   But like I said, I agree with your sentiment.

Where did you get the soymilk machine?  I would prefer my soymilk without careeg-whatever it's called, and I'm having a difficult time finding soymilk without it.

- DJ

-----------------------Always remember:  Today's mighty oak is simply

yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Recent Activity

New Members

Visit Your Group

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Cat Groups

on