Update on Study Books

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Well about a month ago I wrote in about all the books I’ve

read related to good nutrition and Vegans. I’ve now read Prevent and

Reverse Heart Disease and The China Study. Whoever suggested the China Study

was right; it is an interesting read. It’s not dry at all. Now I’m

not only further convinced of my own Vegan eating, but worried about my friends!

I want to tell everybody to stop eating animal products or they will die. I’m

gonna have to be careful as I feel like “preaching.”

Judy

Guest guest

I know what you mean, Judy, about wanting to "save" the whole world. Yet I've found the best method is to be a good example. Those who are interested in improving their health will ask you for your tips. Anyway that's been my experience. The saddest part is when a friend or family member says to you that they could never eat like you do. And then they die. That's happened to a few of my friends already. I lost two dear friends last year. And another friend who had a double mastectomy, just as prevention because her mother died of breast cancer. All three said they could never eat like I do. It's just very sad. >Now I’m

not only further convinced of my own Vegan eating, but worried about my friends!

I want to tell everybody to stop eating animal products or they will die. I’m

gonna have to be careful as I feel like “preaching.â€On a happy note, just this week, one of my sisters-in-law asked me for some of my recipes. She says it's time for her to start taking better care of herself. Martha._,___

Guest guest

I believe that most people are unwilling to stand out from the crowd - so until we have a decent proportion of the population eating a plant-based diet, those people will cling to their old 'normal' habits. I also believe that veganism is gradually creeping into the mainstream, so I see a lot of hope that we're gettng to critical mass! There are so many terrible things happening in the world every day, but also many many good and wonderful things.When I discovered veganism, I was so stunned by the beauty and simplicity of the concept, and all the positive changes it brought to my life, I was amazed that my friends and family didn't immediately embrace it too...! Five years on, I have gained many many wonderful vegan friends and some of my old friends and family members are more aware, but none of them have even gone vegetarian. I still love them, though! ;-)aliceOn 10/05/2009, at 6:35 AM, Martha wrote:I know what you mean, Judy, about wanting to "save" the whole world. Yet I've found the best method is to be a good example. Those who are interested in improving their health will ask you for your tips. Anyway that's been my experience. The saddest part is when a friend or family member says to you that they could never eat like you do. And then they die. That's happened to a few of my friends already. I lost two dear friends last year. And another friend who had a double mastectomy, just as prevention because her mother died of breast cancer. All three said they could never eat like I do. It's just very sad. >Now I’m not only further convinced of my own Vegan eating, but worried about my friends!  I want to tell everybody to stop eating animal products or they will die.  I’m gonna have to be careful as I feel like “preaching.”On a happy note, just this week, one of my sisters-in-law asked me for some of my recipes. She says it's time for her to start taking better care of herself. 

Guest guest

I hear you! As hard as it is to resist, I don’t preach to others. But if they ask me why I eat this way, I’m only too happy to tell them. They remain unconvinced, sadly, and that’s the hardest part for me — feeling like they are on the path to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc., and there’s nothing I can do to help them. But I can take the best care of myself that I can. Maybe it won’t make a difference to others in my generation, but if I can set a good example for the next generation, that will be good. My nephew, age 19, has recently written me to say he’s become a vegetarian — I don’t know why, but I’m glad to hear it. :)

By the way, The China Study was the first book I read that convinced me to change to a vegan diet — the second was The Food Revolution by John Robbins — I was especially moved by the story of the pig farmer, which you can read here:

http://www.foodrevolution.org/pig_farmer.htm

Anna

On 10/5/09 2:29 AM, " Judy Goldsmith " <judyjtg wrote:

Well about a month ago I wrote in about all the books I’ve read related to good nutrition and Vegans. I’ve now read Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and The China Study. Whoever suggested the China Study was right; it is an interesting read. It’s not dry at all. Now I’m not only further convinced of my own Vegan eating, but worried about my friends! I want to tell everybody to stop eating animal products or they will die. I’m gonna have to be careful as I feel like “preaching.”

Judy

Guest guest

Hi Martha,

What recipes did you share with your relatives?

Thanks.

" All three said they could never eat like I do. It's just very sad. "

I hear this too. Funny, that it reminds me of 30 years ago when a woman from

Berkley, California came for a visit to our home and carried along her own water

in a plastic bottle. My family all thought that was SO strange. Now, all those

family members carry water when they travel too. They use plastic bottles. The

woman from Berkley has probably moved on to use stainless steel, and my family

would say, " Strange " .

Dr. Joel Fuhrman says most Americans are addicted to a toxic diet.

SAD.

IMO, all we can do is lead by example. The healthier and happier we are the

more we attract others.

I have shared the links to these clips with my family and friends.

They are free to watch them if they wish, but at least my conscience feels

clearer for having shared the information

I also suggest the title, Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's very easy to

read. He highlights heart health, blood pressure issues, type 2 diabetes, and

yes, weightloss. He sights hundreds of medical and scientific studies. That

impressed and finally won over my husband :)

Teresa M.

, Martha <mnatural22 wrote:

>

> I know what you mean, Judy, about wanting to " save " the whole world. Yet I've

found the best method is to be a good example. Those who are interested in

improving their health will ask you for your tips. Anyway that's been my

experience.

>

> The saddest part is when a friend or family member says to you that they could

never eat like you do. And then they die. That's happened to a few of my friends

already. I lost two dear friends last year. And another friend who had a double

mastectomy, just as prevention because her mother died of breast cancer. All

three said they could never eat like I do. It's just very sad.

> >Now I’m

> not only further convinced of my own Vegan eating, but worried about my

friends!

> I want to tell everybody to stop eating animal products or they will die.

I’m

> gonna have to be careful as I feel like “preaching.â€

>

> On a happy note, just this week, one of my sisters-in-law asked me for some of

my recipes. She says it's time for her to start taking better care of herself.

>

> Martha

>

>

>

> ._,___

>

Guest guest

WOW, Anna, that was a powerful story.

Thank you for sharing the link.

It has gotten me thinking about my own contribution...

Hugs,

Teresa

, Coop <rodstruelove wrote:

>

> I hear you! As hard as it is to resist, I don¹t preach to others. But if

> they ask me why I eat this way, I¹m only too happy to tell them. They

> remain unconvinced, sadly, and that¹s the hardest part for me ‹ feeling like

> they are on the path to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc., and there¹s

> nothing I can do to help them. But I can take the best care of myself that

> I can. Maybe it won¹t make a difference to others in my generation, but if

> I can set a good example for the next generation, that will be good. My

> nephew, age 19, has recently written me to say he¹s become a vegetarian ‹ I

> don¹t know why, but I¹m glad to hear it. :)

>

> By the way, The China Study was the first book I read that convinced me to

> change to a vegan diet ‹ the second was The Food Revolution by John Robbins

> ‹ I was especially moved by the story of the pig farmer, which you can read

> here:

>

> http://www.foodrevolution.org/pig_farmer.htm

>

> Anna

>