IndiaDivine.org

recipe question using steel-cut oats

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have been looking for a good black bean burger recipe, pulled a few off the

internet, and finally made up my own which tastes great but is lacking a bit in

texture. Most of the recipes I've found call for breadcrumbs, but I wanted to

make my burgers a little healthier by using oats, specifically steel-cut oats. I

know that with quick-cook oats I could just throw them in as-is, but I haven't

worked with steel-cut before. Would I have to precook them to add to a recipe

like this?

Here's the recipe as it stands now. I don't measure - I just throw things in

til they look and taste good :) - so these are just estimates...

saute chopped garlic (1-2 cloves), onion, mushroom, green pepper (1/4 cup each)

mix in black beans (1 can - drained and semi-mashed)

add in chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce (I use about 1/2 Tbsp each)

mix in breadcrumbs or oats (1/2 cup or less)

form into patties and pan fry, bake, or grill (on alum foil)

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Christie

Guest guest

one suggestion would be to eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use alum foil to cook with. clscherk <clscherk Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:34:25 AM recipe question using steel-cut oats

I have been looking for a good black bean burger recipe, pulled a few off the internet, and finally made up my own which tastes great but is lacking a bit in texture. Most of the recipes I've found call for breadcrumbs, but I wanted to make my burgers a little healthier by using oats, specifically steel-cut oats. I know that with quick-cook oats I could just throw them in as-is, but I haven't worked with steel-cut before. Would I have to precook them to add to a recipe like this? Here's the recipe as it stands now. I don't measure - I just throw things in til they look and taste good :) - so these are just estimates...saute chopped garlic (1-2 cloves), onion, mushroom, green pepper (1/4 cup each)mix in black beans (1 can - drained and semi-mashed)add in chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce (I use about 1/2 Tbsp each)mix in breadcrumbs or oats (1/2 cup or less)form into patties and pan fry, bake, or

grill (on alum foil)Thanks in advance for any advice!!!Christie ---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

What's wrong with aluminum foil?

Shelby "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith

spence <spenc5 Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:47:12 PMRe: recipe question using steel-cut oats

one suggestion would be to eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use alum foil to cook with.

clscherk <clscherk Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:34:25 AM recipe question using steel-cut oatsI have been looking for a good black bean burger recipe, pulled a few off the internet, and finally made up my own which tastes great but is lacking a bit in texture. Most of the recipes I've found call for breadcrumbs, but I wanted to make my burgers a little healthier by using oats, specifically steel-cut oats. I know that with quick-cook oats I could just throw them in as-is, but I haven't worked with steel-cut before. Would I have to precook them to add to a recipe like this? Here's the recipe as it stands now. I don't measure - I just throw

things in til they look and taste good :) - so these are just estimates...saute chopped garlic (1-2 cloves), onion, mushroom, green pepper (1/4 cup each)mix in black beans (1 can - drained and semi-mashed)add in chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce (I use about 1/2 Tbsp each)mix in breadcrumbs or oats (1/2 cup or less)form into patties and pan fry, bake, or grill (on alum foil)Thanks in advance for any advice!!!Christie ---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

Guest guest

If you are familiar with Dr McDougal, he talks about there are studies where there is some evidence that cooking in alum foil could contribute to Alzheimer's. Just like the alum in antiperspirants. Shelby <andromeda532 Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:05:01 AMRe: recipe question using steel-cut oats What's wrong with aluminum foil? Shelby "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith spence <spenc5 Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:47:12 PMRe: recipe

question using steel-cut oats one suggestion would be to

eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use alum foil to cook with. clscherk <clscherk Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:34:25 AM recipe question using steel-cut oatsI have been looking for a good black bean burger recipe, pulled a few off the internet, and finally made up my own which tastes great but is lacking a bit in texture. Most of the recipes I've found call for breadcrumbs, but I wanted to make my burgers a little healthier by

using oats, specifically steel-cut oats. I know that with quick-cook oats I could just throw them in as-is, but I haven't worked with steel-cut before. Would I have to precook them to add to a recipe like this? Here's the recipe as it stands now. I don't measure - I just throw things in til they look and taste good :) - so these are just estimates...saute chopped garlic (1-2 cloves), onion, mushroom, green pepper (1/4 cup each)mix in black beans (1 can - drained and semi-mashed)add in chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce (I use about 1/2 Tbsp each)mix in breadcrumbs or oats (1/2 cup or less)form into patties and pan fry, bake, or grill (on alum foil)Thanks in advance for any advice!!!Christie ---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com

Guest guest

Aluminum foil is probably safer to use than some of these cheap non-stick coated surfaces they put on cookware...--- On Tue, 5/19/09, spence <spenc5 wrote:spence <spenc5Re: recipe question using steel-cut oats Date: Tuesday, May 19, 2009, 11:47 AM

one suggestion would be to eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use alum foil to cook with. clscherk <clscherk >Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:34:25 AM recipe question using steel-cut oats

I have been looking for a good black bean burger recipe, pulled a few off the internet, and finally made up my own which tastes great but is lacking a bit in texture. Most of the recipes I've found call for breadcrumbs, but I wanted to make my burgers a little healthier by using oats, specifically steel-cut oats. I know that with quick-cook oats I could just throw them in as-is, but I haven't worked with steel-cut before. Would I have to precook them to add to a recipe like this? Here's the recipe as it stands now. I don't measure - I just throw things in til they look and taste good :) - so these are just estimates...saute chopped garlic (1-2 cloves), onion, mushroom, green pepper (1/4 cup each)mix in black beans (1 can - drained and semi-mashed)add in chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce (I use about 1/2 Tbsp each)mix in breadcrumbs or oats (1/2 cup or less)form into patties and pan fry, bake, or

grill (on alum foil)Thanks in advance for any advice!!!Christie ------------ --------- --------- ------Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreev egan.com .

Guest guest

spence wrote:

> one suggestion would be to eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use

> alum foil to cook with.

There's no known link between aluminum and all the dangers proposed for

it by alarmists. See for example

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

There is, however, a known link between fatty foods and disease, so if

someone can reduce their fat intake by using aluminum foil to cook with,

they should, in my opinion, go for it.

Serene

Guest guest

google Aluminum Toxicity

it causes far more diseases than Alzheimer's, like Multiple Sclerosis, Thyroid,

Osteoporosis, Liver and Kidney

once you stop using it and rid it from your body, the taste of aluminum becomes

offensive

how about TVP/textured soy protein or Vital Wheat Gluten

I love McCann's Irish Oatmeal but yeah you do have to cook it first, maybe soak

it overnight

, Serene <serene-lists wrote:

>

> spence wrote:

>

> > one suggestion would be to eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use

> > alum foil to cook with.

>

> There's no known link between aluminum and all the dangers proposed for

> it by alarmists. See for example

> http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

>

> There is, however, a known link between fatty foods and disease, so if

> someone can reduce their fat intake by using aluminum foil to cook with,

> they should, in my opinion, go for it.

>

> Serene

>

Guest guest

This is true, however, aluminum has been found in numerous brains of alzheimer patients. So, still something you should avoid just as using deodorant with alum. Research is always slow to come with facts, so given thae fact that there is enough evidence to suspect, might be enough to remove the product from cooking if you can.Yes, other surfaces like teflon, could also be an health issue. I would think that stainless or cast iron would be the better choices. Or good quality of other types so the coating doesn't flake off etc. I don't think you have to use alum foil to reduce fat intake. I have found it very easy to not use alum foil any longer to cook with. I just use dishes with glass tops, don't wrap baked potatoes, cast iron grill on

bbq. Serene <serene-lists Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:02:41 PMRe: recipe question using steel-cut oats

spence wrote:> one suggestion would be to eliminate the alum foil:) Not good to use> alum foil to cook with.There's no known link between aluminum and all the dangers proposed for it by alarmists. See for example http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.aspThere is, however, a known link between fatty foods and disease, so if someone can reduce their fat intake by using aluminum foil to cook with, they should, in my opinion, go for it.Serene---Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .