IndiaDivine.org

Silicon bakeware?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don't use plastic anymore either, and I don't know the facts, but to me, plastic is plastic, so I wouldn't use it...

Anna

In a message dated 5/30/2009 1:34:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, TJFronczak writes:

Wondering if someone can help clear up the issue for me around use of silicon bakeware or liners.Dr. McDougall is huge fan. Susan supports their use in her blog.But then I read online about the potential dangers of their use, esp at higher temps, in some cases noted to be over 425 degrees, which of course we would not bake at. But I just got rid of all plastic storage containers to reduce BPA leakage and now not certain re use of silicon.Ideas or information?ThanksTom

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Guest guest

Wondering if someone can help clear up the issue for me around use of

silicon bakeware or liners.

Dr. McDougall is huge fan. Susan supports their use in her blog.

But then I read online about the potential dangers of their use, esp

at higher temps, in some cases noted to be over 425 degrees, which of

course we would not bake at. But I just got rid of all plastic

storage containers to reduce BPA leakage and now not certain re use of

silicon.

Ideas or information?

Thanks

Tom

Guest guest

Silicone is not plastic.  Silicone is made just like glass in fact it is basically bendable glass.  It is completely safe.  In fact I would love to see an article against it.  

Guest guest

Don’t know that I can find one ‘against it’ per se, but there are those that advise caution, like this one:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-silicone-bakeware-safe-ask-annie.html

That said, it’s getting to the point where I don’t know what to cook in anymore because there’s someone somewhere that could claim nothing is safe. If I can’t use plastic or aluminum or pots coated with Teflon, and if silicone isn’t safe either, what will I use? Sure, there’s my stainless steel pots but they are not non-stick so I’d need oil.

On 31/5/09 11:20 AM, " Heidi Crawford " <heidicrawford wrote:

Silicone is not plastic.  Silicone is made just like glass in fact it is basically bendable glass.  It is completely safe.  In fact I would love to see an article against it.  

Guest guest

What about glass? Glass is nonreactive and nothing is going to leach out of it. I used to have a really nice set of glass sauce pans made by Corning that I really loved but they eventually broke in the process of moving hoist and haven't been able to find replacements-don't think they make them anymore but if anyone knows differently, please let me know :)Sent from the iPhone of a HenOn May 30, 2009, at 19:49, Coop <rodstruelove wrote:

Don’t know that I can find one ‘against it’ per se, but there are those that advise caution, like this one:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-silicone-bakeware-safe-ask-annie.html

That said, it’s getting to the point where I don’t know what to cook in anymore because there’s someone somewhere that could claim nothing is safe. If I can’t use plastic or aluminum or pots coated with Teflon, and if silicone isn’t safe either, what will I use?  Sure, there’s my stainless steel pots but they are not non-stick so I’d need oil.

On 31/5/09 11:20 AM, "Heidi Crawford" <heidicrawford > wrote:

Guest guest

I do remember those glass saucepans from back home in Wisconsin years ago, but have never seen them in Australia. My mother had a set though, as I said it was years ago, so I don’t recall how they were for sticking. I guess my point was more that I’m not going to worry too much about my cookware because sooner or later they find something wrong with everything, so I do still use most of these products, and I’d rather keep my cooking free of added fats because that’s a bigger threat for me (at least, to my waistline).

Honestly I’ve never tried the silicone ones only because they’re so expensive here. Maybe I’ll ask for some for Christmas.

On 31/5/09 2:05 PM, " Jenn " <batmanusdmychina wrote:

What about glass? Glass is nonreactive and nothing is going to leach out of it. I used to have a really nice set of glass sauce pans made by Corning that I really loved but they eventually broke in the process of moving hoist and haven't been able to find replacements-don't think they make them anymore but if anyone knows differently, please let me know :)

Sent from the iPhone of a Hen

On May 30, 2009, at 19:49, Coop <rodstruelove wrote:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-silicone-bakeware-safe-ask-annie.html <http://www.care2>

That said, it’s getting to the point where I don’t know what to cook in anymore because there’s someone somewhere that could claim nothing is safe. If I can’t use plastic or aluminum or pots coated with Teflon, and if silicone isn’t safe either, what will I use?  Sure, there’s my stainless steel pots but they are not non-stick so I’d need oil.

On 31/5/09 11:20 AM, " Heidi Crawford " <heidicrawford wrote:

Guest guest

This is a great thread and I thank everyone for thie imput. I too have been wondering for quite a while about the silicone bakeware. Every-so-often I see them on sale and I would really like to try them but considering what they look like, I just had it in my head that it would be like baking in plastic...a big No No. These are all great things to know!

Stef

"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."

***Christine Stevens---

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!

Guest guest

I thought the same until I did research on it.  I now love my silicone bakeware and use it ll the time.  I never oil it even when recipes say too, and nothing has ever stuck.

" I just had it in my head that it would be like baking in plastic...a big No No. These are all great things to know!

Stef "

,_._,___

Guest guest

Tom:The experts state that not all plastics contain, and leach out BPA.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html(You can also Google BPA for more information)An excerpt:"How do I know if the plastic containers in my home contain BPA?Any product made of hard, clear plastic is probably made from polycarbonate unless the manufacturer specifically states that it's BPA-free. One way to check is to look for the triangle stamp on or near the bottom: polycarbonate plastics should have the numeral 7 in the triangle, sometimes with the letters PC.Unfortunately, 7 is a catchall "other" category for a variety of plastics. In my own kitchen, I found just one product with a 7 — plastic fruit cups my daughter takes to school. But the plastic is soft and pliable, so it is probably not made with BPA.I also found refillable water bottles without a stamp. Because they are hard, shatterproof and clear, it's reasonable to assume they are made from polycarbonate.What about canned food and drinks?While much of the focus is on plastic bottles, most human exposure occurs through the lining of canned foods. Canned beverages appear to contain less of the chemical than canned foods like soup, pasta, fruits and vegetables, which are often processed at high temperatures. Virtually every canned product, even those labeled organic, has a liner with BPA. One brand, Eden Organic Baked Beans, says it uses a BPA-free can".Norm==================================================================== , "Tom Fronczak, LICSW" <TJFronczak wrote:>> "Wondering if someone can help clear up the issue for me around use of silicon bakeware or liners". "But I just got rid of all plastic storage containers to reduce BPA leakage and now not certain re use of silicon".> > Ideas or information?> > Thanks> > Tom

Guest guest

silicone is not a plasticOn Sun, May 31, 2009 at 2:51 PM, roysnorm <norm wrote:

Tom:The experts state that not all plastics contain, and leach out BPA.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html

(You can also Google BPA for more information)An excerpt: " How do I know if the plastic containers in my home contain BPA?Any product made of hard, clear plastic is probably made from polycarbonate unless the manufacturer specifically states that it's BPA-free. One way to check is to look for the triangle stamp on or near the bottom: polycarbonate plastics should have the numeral 7 in the triangle, sometimes with the letters PC.

Unfortunately, 7 is a catchall " other " category for a variety of plastics. In my own kitchen, I found just one product with a 7 — plastic fruit cups my daughter takes to school. But the plastic is soft and pliable, so it is probably not made with BPA.

I also found refillable water bottles without a stamp. Because they are hard, shatterproof and clear, it's reasonable to assume they are made from polycarbonate.What about canned food and drinks?While much of the focus is on plastic bottles, most human exposure occurs through the lining of canned foods. Canned beverages appear to contain less of the chemical than canned foods like soup, pasta, fruits and vegetables, which are often processed at high temperatures. Virtually every canned product, even those labeled organic, has a liner with BPA. One brand, Eden Organic Baked Beans, says it uses a BPA-free can " .

Norm==================================================================== , " Tom Fronczak, LICSW " <TJFronczak wrote:

>> " Wondering if someone can help clear up the issue for me around use of silicon bakeware or liners " .  " But I just got rid of all plastic storage containers to reduce BPA leakage and now not certain re use of silicon " .

> > Ideas or information?> > Thanks> > Tom

Guest guest

See ewg.org the guys that brought BPA mainstream, they also have excellent

lists and rankings of pesticide containing foods, poison in cosmetics,

effectiveness and toxicity of various sunscreens, all in usable form with brands

ranked.

Guest guest

Stupid question: is most silicon bakeware made in China? Is this a concern for the people that like to use it? I have always wanted to try it.

TIA

Stef

"The basis of all animal rights should be The Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position."

***Christine Stevens--- On Sat, 5/30/09, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

Heidi Crawford <heidicrawfordRe: Silicon bakeware? Received: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 9:20 PM

Also it does not contain BPA

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford@ gmail.com> wrote:

Silicone is not plastic. Silicone is made just like glass in fact it is basically bendable glass. It is completely safe. In fact I would love to see an article against it.

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!