IndiaDivine.org

Soymilk makers?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Does anyone make their own soymilk? If so do you use a soymilk maker or do it the old fashion way?

I have a old vitamix and thought I would try to make some before buying a machine.

I love Silk soymilk but its getting to expensive.

Karo

Guest guest

I do make my own soymilk. I do have a soymilk maker I bought about 6-7 years ago. It works great, I have used the Vita-mix as well it did not turn out as good but it still did the trick.

The idea is to soak the soy beans overnight and I'd fill my soy milk maker or Vita-mix 1/2 to less then 3/4 full of filtered water and turn the machine on, when fully blended,I then add a very small amount Stevia for sweetness and some extract like vanilla,orange or almond for a different flavor FANTASTIC!. At my local market I get a 2 pound bag of dried soybeans for about $1.65 at Henry's Market I found it in bulk for somewhere around $.88 a pound. and it makes at least 2-3 gallons or more. Each bag I buy lasts 1-2 months if not longer. This is far less expensive then the store bought. It also has far less fat since you are not adding any additional oils the store bought kind have,so this is far more healthier.--- On Sun, 6/14/09, Karen <karogden2 wrote:

Karen <karogden2 Soymilk makers?"" Sunday, June 14, 2009, 10:13 PM

Does anyone make their own soymilk? If so do you use a soymilk maker or do it the old fashion way?

I have a old vitamix and thought I would try to make some before buying a machine.

Karo

Guest guest

my husband makes our soymilk.  He starts with dried beans he cooks and then blends it with a little sugar and vanilla and a tad of salt.  It turns out great

Guest guest

I made my 2nd batch of soy milk today, yesterdays was a little to beany for my taste, so today I added a T of white rice and a T of rolled oats, less vanilla and a dash of salt, much better.

I have been doing it on the stove using my vitamix to grind the beans first, what a mess filtering all that okara out with using cheesecloth.

So I have been looking at the soyajoy soy milk maker. I am almost ready to buy it.

I get the soy beans at my co-op at .99 cents a lb with a 10% discount. So right now I thing I have over 10lbs of beans, that should last a while.

Being lactose intolerant I think this is the way to go for me.

Thanks Scott for your help, I enjoy learning new things that can only improve my health.

Silk soy be gone, now its my own soy milk.

Karo

----

scott raphael

6/16/2009 7:28:44 AM

Re: Soymilk makers?

I do make my own soymilk. I do have a soymilk maker I bought about 6-7 years ago. It works great, I have used the Vita-mix as well it did not turn out as good but it still did the trick.

The idea is to soak the soy beans overnight and I'd fill my soy milk maker or Vita-mix 1/2 to less then 3/4 full of filtered water and turn the machine on, when fully blended,I then add a very small amount Stevia for sweetness and some extract like vanilla,orange or almond for a different flavor FANTASTIC!. At my local market I get a 2 pound bag of dried soybeans for about $1.65 at Henry's Market I found it in bulk for somewhere around $.88 a pound. and it makes at least 2-3 gallons or more. Each bag I buy lasts 1-2 months if not longer. This is far less expensive then the store bought. It also has far less fat since you are not adding any additional oils the store bought kind have,so this is far more healthier.--- On Sun, 6/14/09, Karen <karogden2 wrote:

Karo

Guest guest

Oh and ours gets so smooth using the vitamix and cooked beans that  we don't have to do any straining and it is the same consistency as silk .  My husband soaks the beans over night and then cooks them in a slow cooker.  While they're cooking he skims the foam, and their skins.  HE makes a huge batch of beans at a time then freezes them  so he  Doesn't have to cook beans every time he wants milk.

Guest guest

heidi, that is really interesting. i have a vitamix and i think i will try this. i just have 3 quick questions.  how long does he cook them? after he cooks them does he drain the cooking water?  Also, what is the ratio of water to beans that he uses when he blends them?

thanks -kedaOn Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

Oh and ours gets so smooth using the vitamix and cooked beans that  we don't have to do any straining and it is the same consistency as silk .  My husband soaks the beans over night and then cooks them in a slow cooker.  While they're cooking he skims the foam, and their skins.  HE makes a huge batch of beans at a time then freezes them  so he  Doesn't have to cook beans every time he wants milk.

Guest guest

see the link to my husbands blog I posted all of the info is thereOn Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM, keda maru <keda.maru wrote:

heidi, that is really interesting. i have a vitamix and i think i will try this. i just have 3 quick questions.  how long does he cook them? after he cooks them does he drain the cooking water?  Also, what is the ratio of water to beans that he uses when he blends them?

thanks -kedaOn Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

Guest guest

Thank for the link, I never would have thought to cook the soy beans in a slow cooker. Wonder if they would work in a presser cooker as well.

I use my PC for just about everything I can think of. I cook up batches of steel oats about 3 times a week, and its great for steaming veggies.

Karo

----

Heidi Crawford

6/16/2009 9:16:12 AM

Here is a link to my husbands blog with his instructions on how he does it. It is about halfway down the page. http://plantboy.wordpress.com/category/recipes/

Guest guest

you anticipated my question... thank you. the blog post is very helpful.On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Heidi Crawford <heidicrawford wrote:

see the link to my husbands blog I posted all of the info is thereOn Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM, keda maru <keda.maru wrote:

Guest guest

I love my old vitamix, for grinding the soy beans.

Scott how do you strain your beans? I have tried cheap cheesecloth and there still is some grit in the bottom?

Karo

----

scott raphael

Karo

Guest guest

I have got to try this method. So I will be soaking some beans tonight.

Karo

----

Heidi Crawford

6/16/2009 9:09:57 AM

Oh and ours gets so smooth using the vitamix and cooked beans that we don't have to do any straining and it is the same consistency as silk . My husband soaks the beans over night and then cooks them in a slow cooker. While they're cooking he skims the foam, and their skins. HE makes a huge batch of beans at a time then freezes them so he Doesn't have to cook beans every time he wants milk.

Guest guest

When I use the Vita-mix I strain the beans in a small fine strainer but, when I use the soymilk maker it has a screen in the metal cup attachment so it strains as it grinds.Scott--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Karen <karogden2 wrote:

Karen <karogden2Re: Soymilk makers? Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 5:07 AM

Scott how do you strain your beans? I have tried cheap cheesecloth and there still is some grit in the bottom?

Karo

-- --

scott raphael

The idea is to soak the soy beans overnight and I'd fill my soy milk maker or Vita-mix 1/2 to less then 3/4 full of filtered water and turn the machine on, when fully blended,I then add a very small amount Stevia for sweetness and some extract like vanilla,orange or almond for a different flavor FANTASTIC!. At my local market I get a 2 pound bag of dried soybeans for about $1.65 at Henry's Market I found it in bulk for somewhere around $.88 a pound. and it makes at least 2-3 gallons or more. Each bag I buy lasts 1-2 months if not longer. This is far less expensive then the store bought. It also has far less fat since you are not adding any additional oils the store bought kind have,so this is far more healthier.--- On Sun, 6/14/09, Karen <karogden2 (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Karen <karogden2 (AT) gmail (DOT) com> Soymilk makers?"" <>Sunday, June 14, 2009, 10:13 PM

Karo

Guest guest

Please take a look at http://www.twilightearth.com/2009/05/the-world-according-to-monsanto-full-documentary/Take some time and please watch this.90% of soy beans are GMO and have been sprayed heavily with Roundup, which is very toxic. The beans have been alter genetically to withstand the roundup. Be sure you are using non GMO soy beans, if you can find them.This was is very troubling what Monsanto is doing to our foods, right in front of us.scott raphael <drwellness1999 Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:26:32 AMRe: Soymilk makers?

When I use the Vita-mix I strain the beans in a small fine strainer but, when I use the soymilk maker it has a screen in the metal cup attachment so it strains as it grinds.Scott--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Karen <karogden2 wrote:

Karen <karogden2Re: Soymilk makers? Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 5:07 AM

Karo

-- --

scott raphael

The idea is to soak the soy beans overnight and I'd fill my soy milk maker or Vita-mix 1/2 to less then 3/4 full of filtered water and turn the machine on, when fully blended,I then add a very small amount Stevia for sweetness and some extract like vanilla,orange or almond for a different flavor FANTASTIC!. At my local market I get a 2 pound bag of dried soybeans for about $1.65 at Henry's Market I found it in bulk for somewhere around $.88 a pound. and it makes at least 2-3 gallons or more. Each bag I buy lasts 1-2 months if not longer. This is far less expensive then the store bought. It also has far less fat since you are not adding any additional oils the store bought kind have,so this is far more healthier.--- On Sun, 6/14/09, Karen <karogden2 (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Karen <karogden2 (AT) gmail (DOT) com> Soymilk makers?"" <>Sunday, June 14, 2009, 10:13 PM

Karo