IndiaDivine.org

Cook Book Recommendation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all,

I'm getting frustrated with so-called vegetarian cook books with regards to desserts. I find more vegan/vegetarian dessert recipies in my good old basic Betty Crocker than in the overly egg laden vegetarian ones. I haven't gone fully vegan yet, so I usually don't sweat it if I'm out and about and encounter something made with eggs. But I don't really want to cook with them.

My problem with vegan cookbooks that I've seen is that they rely on really expensive alternatives to egg (egg replacer, etc.) instead of simple alternatives. For me, egg replacer is in the same camp as fake meat. If i want to eat meat i'd eat meat, not a close proximity to. If i wanted to eat egg, i'd eat egg, not a close proximity to. If the vegan cookbooks don't rely on 'weird' alternatives the recipes are full of things I don't want to eat. When i'm craving chocolate cake, lemon tart or fruit cobbler isn't going to cut it.

I'm a cook who's really good at winging it and tweaking things to her liking, once I understand the nature of what i'm working with. I grew up on the standard American suburban diet. The flavors and ingredients used in meat dishes are quiet easy to use to obtain a really yummy veggie dish. It's nothing for me to whip up a beautiful vegetable dish from simple, affordable ingredients.

I can do the same with shortbread. Which is my only success in the vegan/vegetarian dessert extravaganza. I have yet to really understand the basics of vegan dessert making because I can't find anything that is a) classic dessert food and b) has reasonably priced ingredients. I'm getting a little bored of modified shortbread concoctions. Sometimes I want a chocolate cake. Sometimes I want something pudding/custardy. Sometimes I want other kinds of cookies. Sometimes I want some chocolate ice cream or fudge. I really love chocolate and like rich desserts. I eat sweet fruits all the time as part of my normal diet. I don't want them to be the only reasonable vegan options for dessert.

I'm looking for a good basic vegan cook book that has desserts that are simple, have reasonably priced ingredients, and that are standards of the classic American desserts not exceptions. I love the internet as a resource for recipies, but sometimes i like to sit in my kitchen and flip through a paper book and try something new that way. I'd love to have a vegan complement to my basic Betty Crocker. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shelby

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith

Guest guest

I don't know about a set cookbook.  I just take a recipe and make it how I want to eat. 1 TBSP ground flax seed to 1/4 c of water is a replacement for 1 egg in a recipe. I do however like the Fat Free and Easy cookbook. 

Guest guest

Hi ShelbyI think the kind of desserts you're looking for aren't really appropriate for a fat-free list!I have My Sweet Vegan by Hannah Kaminsky and Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. (Neither book is low-fat.) JOVB does use egg replacer quite a lot, though. (I often just leave it out - although I don't actually have a philosophical problem with egg replacers or fake meat!)Best wishesAlice LeonardANGEL FOOD for vegan treats: marshmallow, meringue, cheeses and creamZEST FOR LIFE vegan cooking classesPO Box 78111 Grey Lynn, Auckland, New ZealandPhone 0064 9 3764623 or 021 2964996www.facebook.com/alice.leonardDownsize your carbon footprint and upsize your compassion: go vegan! On 4/08/2009, at 4:03 AM, Shelby wrote: Hi all, I'm getting frustrated with so-called vegetarian cook books with regards to desserts. I find more vegan/vegetarian dessert recipies in my good old basic Betty Crocker than in the overly egg laden vegetarian ones. I haven't gone fully vegan yet, so I usually don't sweat it if I'm out and about and encounter something made with eggs. But I don't really want to cook with them. My problem with vegan cookbooks that I've seen is that they rely on really expensive alternatives to egg (egg replacer, etc.) instead of simple alternatives. For me, egg replacer is in the same camp as fake meat. If i want to eat meat i'd eat meat, not a close proximity to. If i wanted to eat egg, i'd eat egg, not a close proximity to. If the vegan cookbooks don't rely on 'weird' alternatives the recipes are full of things I don't want to eat. When i'm craving chocolate cake, lemon tart or fruit cobbler isn't going to cut it. I'm a cook who's really good at winging it and tweaking things to her liking, once I understand the nature of what i'm working with. I grew up on the standard American suburban diet. The flavors and ingredients used in meat dishes are quiet easy to use to obtain a really yummy veggie dish. It's nothing for me to whip up a beautiful vegetable dish from simple, affordable ingredients. I can do the same with shortbread. Which is my only success in the vegan/vegetarian dessert extravaganza. I have yet to really understand the basics of vegan dessert making because I can't find anything that is a) classic dessert food and b) has reasonably priced ingredients. I'm getting a little bored of modified shortbread concoctions. Sometimes I want a chocolate cake. Sometimes I want something pudding/custardy. Sometimes I want other kinds of cookies. Sometimes I want some chocolate ice cream or fudge. I really love chocolate and like rich desserts. I eat sweet fruits all the time as part of my normal diet. I don't want them to be the only reasonable vegan options for dessert. I'm looking for a good basic vegan cook book that has desserts that are simple, have reasonably priced ingredients, and that are standards of the classic American desserts not exceptions. I love the internet as a resource for recipies, but sometimes i like to sit in my kitchen and flip through a paper book and try something new that way. I'd love to have a vegan complement to my basic Betty Crocker. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Shelby "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith

Guest guest

Hi Shelby,

No cookbook recommendations, but here is a nice " rich " chocolate cake recipe

that i find easy and extremely satisfying.

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/cakes/chocolate-pudding-cake

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fri, 22 Apr 94 10:31:36 +0200

Annice Grinberg (VSANNICE)

CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE

1 c flour 2 T apple sauce

2/3 c sugar 1 t vanilla

2 T cocoa 2/3 c brown sugar

2 t baking powder 1/4 c cocoa

1/8 t salt 1 3/4 c hot water

1/2 c water

Mix the first eight ingredients together. Pour into a sprayed 8 " square baking

pan. Mix the brown sugar and 1/4 c cocoa. Sprinkle over the batter. Pour the

hot water over the entire top surface. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

The topping sinks through the cake to form a pudding layer at the bottom. This

cake tastes so rich it's hard to believe there's no fat or eggs in it. We prefer

it chilled, but it can be served ar room temperature, or even warm, if you can't

wait. It will keep for several days (but not in my house!), but DO NOT FREEZE.

If you do, the pudding will turn very watery.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guest guest

Sadly, I don't do desserts much these days so don't have any

suggestions for cookbooks. Are any of them really fat free? As for

egg replacers, I'm not sure I know what egg replacers you're speaking

about (I don't bake that much, especially not desserts). I have an

ancient box of Ener-G egg replacer (really, it's gotta be 10 years old)

that, while it's purchase price might not have been inexpensive, is

quite economical since you only use a tiny bit at a time. Even for a

prolific baker I'm sure the box would last a long time. It is in no

way, shape, or form "fake eggs," though, it only attempts to mimic the

binder characteristics that eggs lend to baked goods. Same with flax

and water Alice mentioned. Also, you can mix soy flour with water for

a similar effect. For sweets, bananas can serve the same purpose.

Even tofu can fill in for eggs in recipes. I guess it depends on what

your definition of expensive and "fake" is in this context. I don't

consider any of these options to be expensive and, in fact, they may be

cheaper than eggs (though I wouldn't know since I don't buy them).

When I attended the McDougall 10-day residential program last year they

served this pudding, which was heavenly.

Chocolate Decadence Pudding

By Heather McDougall

This is a delicious sweet treat to make for your

special someone this Valentine’s Day.

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Wonderslim)

3/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

3 cups soymilk

1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

With a whisk, combine cocoa, sugar, cornstarch, and milk in a medium

saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly

until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into a bowl,

cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 4 hours.

Source: http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall0202p5.htm

_,_._,___

Guest guest

, Shelby <andromeda532 wrote:

>

> Hi all,

>

> I'm getting frustrated with so-called vegetarian cook books with regards to

desserts. I find more vegan/vegetarian dessert recipies in my good old basic

Betty Crocker than in the overly egg laden vegetarian ones. I haven't gone fully

vegan yet, so I usually don't sweat it if I'm out and about and encounter

something made with eggs. But I don't really want to cook with them.

>

> My problem with vegan cookbooks that I've seen is that they rely on really

expensive alternatives to egg (egg replacer, etc.) instead of simple

alternatives. For me, egg replacer is in the same camp as fake meat. If i want

to eat meat i'd eat meat, not a close proximity to. If i wanted to eat egg, i'd

eat egg, not a close proximity to. If the vegan cookbooks don't rely on 'weird'

alternatives the recipes are full of things I don't want to eat. When i'm

craving chocolate cake, lemon tart or fruit cobbler isn't going to cut it.

>

> I'm a cook who's really good at winging it and tweaking things to her liking,

once I understand the nature of what i'm working with. I grew up on the

standard American suburban diet. The flavors and ingredients used in meat dishes

are quiet easy to use to obtain a really yummy veggie dish. It's nothing for me

to whip up a beautiful vegetable dish from simple, affordable ingredients. 

>

> I can do the same with shortbread. Which is my only success in the

vegan/vegetarian dessert extravaganza. I have yet to really understand the

basics of vegan dessert making because I can't find anything that is a) classic

dessert food and b) has reasonably priced ingredients. I'm getting a little

bored of modified shortbread concoctions. Sometimes I want a chocolate cake.

Sometimes I want something pudding/custardy. Sometimes I want other kinds of

cookies. Sometimes I want some chocolate ice cream or fudge. I really love

chocolate and like rich desserts. I eat sweet fruits all the time as part of my

normal diet. I don't want them to be the only reasonable vegan options for

dessert.

>  

> I'm looking for a good basic vegan cook book that has desserts that are

simple, have reasonably priced ingredients, and that are standards of the

classic American desserts not exceptions. I love the internet as a resource for

recipies, but sometimes i like to sit in my kitchen and flip through a paper

book and try something new that way. I'd love to have a vegan complement to my

basic Betty Crocker. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate

it.

>

> Thanks,

> Shelby

> " Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize

they were the big things. " - Antonio Smith

>

Guest guest

---

The best bet is to try some of the McDougall Cookbooks such as the McDougall

Quick and Easy Cookbook of the McDougall Cookbook Thay all have great desserts.

The best thing to use as an egg repalcer is something called EnerG. It can be

found at any local health food store or you can use prunes or applesause for

moisture in breads and muffins.

In , Shelby <andromeda532 wrote:

>

> Hi all,

>

Betty Crocker than in the overly egg laden vegetarian ones. I haven't gone fully

>

>

standard American suburban diet. The flavors and ingredients used in meat dishes

>

dessert.

>  

it.

>

> Thanks,

> Shelby

> " Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize

they were the big things. " - Antonio Smith

>

Guest guest

Not all Duncan Heins is vegan, be careful! Dr. Oetker is a really good cake mix, I love their vanilla cake and they are vegan! I use it every year to make my son's birthday cake and I always get great compliments and no one can believe it's vegan!!

Anna in Las Vegas

Sippy Cups & Stilettos

In a message dated 8/4/2009 7:53:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, pioneer588 writes:

I just buy a cake mix (Duncan Heinz is vegan!) or pudding mix (Jello Instant Pudding is vegan) and use soy milk for milk and silken tofu for eggs. Simple and yummy. (but not fat free). Enjoy!Linda in Chehalisps read your labels>>> Sometimes I want a chocolate cake. Sometimes I want something pudding/custardy.

Guest guest

I just buy a cake mix (Duncan Heinz is vegan!) or pudding mix (Jello Instant

Pudding is vegan) and use soy milk for milk and silken tofu for eggs. Simple and

yummy. (but not fat free). Enjoy!

Linda in Chehalis

ps read your labels

>>> Sometimes I want a chocolate cake. Sometimes I want something

pudding/custardy.

Guest guest

I'm not sure what cookbook this is in but the easiest chocolate mouse in the world can be made using silken tofu, dark chocolate and a little bit of maple syrup. My (non-vegan) mother in law loves it. The first time she tried it, she thought I had made a mistake and was eating eggs or something. This is the basic gist of it:http://vegetariancuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/vegan_chocolate_mousse I have also added peanut butter before and poured it over sliced bananas. Both variations were equally delish.-Erin , "Dr. Scott B. Raphael,N.D." <drwellness1999 wrote:>> ---> > The best bet is to try some of the McDougall Cookbooks such as the McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook of the McDougall Cookbook Thay all have great desserts. The best thing to use as an egg repalcer is something called EnerG. It can be found at any local health food store or you can use prunes or applesause for moisture in breads and muffins.> > > > > > > > > > > > > In , Shelby andromeda532@ wrote:> >> > Hi all,> > > > I'm getting frustrated with so-called vegetarian cook books with regards to desserts. I find more vegan/vegetarian dessert recipies in my good old basic Betty Crocker than in the overly egg laden vegetarian ones. I haven't gone fully vegan yet, so I usually don't sweat it if I'm out and about and encounter something made with eggs. But I don't really want to cook with them. > > > > My problem with vegan cookbooks that I've seen is that they rely on really expensive alternatives to egg (egg replacer, etc.) instead of simple alternatives. For me, egg replacer is in the same camp as fake meat. If i want to eat meat i'd eat meat, not a close proximity to. If i wanted to eat egg, i'd eat egg, not a close proximity to. If the vegan cookbooks don't rely on 'weird' alternatives the recipes are full of things I don't want to eat. When i'm craving chocolate cake, lemon tart or fruit cobbler isn't going to cut it.> > > > I'm a cook who's really good at winging it and tweaking things to her liking, once I understand the nature of what i'm working with. I grew up on the standard American suburban diet. The flavors and ingredients used in meat dishes are quiet easy to use to obtain a really yummy veggie dish. It's nothing for me to whip up a beautiful vegetable dish from simple, affordable ingredients. > > > > I can do the same with shortbread. Which is my only success in the vegan/vegetarian dessert extravaganza. I have yet to really understand the basics of vegan dessert making because I can't find anything that is a) classic dessert food and b) has reasonably priced ingredients. I'm getting a little bored of modified shortbread concoctions. Sometimes I want a chocolate cake. Sometimes I want something pudding/custardy. Sometimes I want other kinds of cookies. Sometimes I want some chocolate ice cream or fudge. I really love chocolate and like rich desserts. I eat sweet fruits all the time as part of my normal diet. I don't want them to be the only reasonable vegan options for dessert.> > > > I'm looking for a good basic vegan cook book that has desserts that are simple, have reasonably priced ingredients, and that are standards of the classic American desserts not exceptions. I love the internet as a resource for recipies, but sometimes i like to sit in my kitchen and flip through a paper book and try something new that way. I'd love to have a vegan complement to my basic Betty Crocker. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.> > > > Thanks,> > Shelby> > "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Antonio Smith> >>

Guest guest

Hi Shelby,

The book " Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease " by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn is vegan

and fat-free. It has some great dessert recipes and several cake recipes:

Birthday Cake, Carrot Cookie Cake, Chocolate Red Devil Cake, Creamy Fudge

Frosting, Luscious Lemon Cake. The Chewy Gingerbread Cookies are great too.

The book " Breaking the Food Seduction " by Dr. Neal Barnard (also a fat-free

vegan advocate) has a great brownie recipe - Ultra Fudge Brownies. Very yummy!

Mary Lou

, Shelby <andromeda532 wrote:

>

> Hi all,

>

>

>

>

dessert.

>