IndiaDivine.org

Vegetable broth question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You might want to try making the broth with onion soup mix...flavors well.

Sarah Navarro <navarrosarah

undisclosed recipients <navarrosarah

Monday, September 7, 2009 12:14:52 PM

Vegetable broth question

I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because I am

going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store. I am

wondering if you all use the liquid off of canned vegetables and also the liquid

from when you cook vegetables in your broth. I want to start collecting all this

liquid in the freezer and using it when I boil up all my vegetable peelings and

that's what I want to use for my broth, will that work? Then I will freeze it

in 2 cup and 4 cup portions. Thanks for any help with this.

Sarah in CA

----------

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09

06:40:00

I save the water I cook my veggies in...I put it in a container in the

freezer and just add to it as i go...

Also when I buy fresh fruit and veg I always wash them before putting them

away...The trimmings from celery, outer leaves of cabbage and lettuce

etc go into the pot with an onion and maybe a carrot, some herbs from the

garden.... and are boiled up to make stock....

it all helps and is cheaper and more healthy than the bought stuff...

Maureen...

[new member...Hi to everyone...]

2009/9/8 Sarah Navarro <navarrosarah

>

>

> I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because

> I am going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store. I am

> wondering if you all use the liquid off of canned vegetables and also the

> liquid from when you cook vegetables in your broth. I want to start

> collecting all this liquid in the freezer and using it when I boil up all my

> vegetable peelings and that's what I want to use for my broth, will that

> work? Then I will freeze it in 2 cup and 4 cup portions. Thanks for any help

> with this.

>

> Sarah in CA

>

> ----------

>

>

> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09

> 06:40:00

>

>

I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because I am going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store. I am wondering if you all use the liquid off of canned vegetables and also the liquid from when you cook vegetables in your broth. I want to start collecting all this liquid in the freezer and using it when I boil up all my vegetable peelings and that's what I want to use for my broth, will that work? Then I will freeze it in 2 cup and 4 cup portions. Thanks for any help with this.

Sarah in CA

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09

Sarah, Yes, that is exactly what I do. I use the clippings from all of my veggies and save them in my freezer for when I want to cook them all down in to broth. Then, I freeze them in 2-cup portions. I don't use any salt; that way, I can season how I like it when I make the dish. Folks on here made a good point that pesticides,etc., tend to collect near the stems, on the peels, etc., of veggies, but if I am using non-organic produce, I just wash it carefully. No two broths are the same, too, which I like. I especially liked my one broth when I had lots of ginger and hot pepper clippings one week! Wow! But, not too hot, either. Let us know how it goes for you. -Becky

-

Sarah Navarro

undisclosed recipients

Monday, September 07, 2009 1:14 PM

Vegetable broth question

I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because I am going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store. I am wondering if you all use the liquid off of canned vegetables and also the liquid from when you cook vegetables in your broth. I want to start collecting all this liquid in the freezer and using it when I boil up all my vegetable peelings and that's what I want to use for my broth, will that work? Then I will freeze it in 2 cup and 4 cup portions. Thanks for any help with this.

Sarah in CA

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09 06:40:00

And, yes, save any broth from cans (may be salty, though) and any liquid that you cooked veggies in. Re-use it and it will add even more nutrition! -Becky

-

Sarah Navarro

undisclosed recipients

Monday, September 07, 2009 1:14 PM

Vegetable broth question

Sarah in CA

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09 06:40:00

Here are some tips/ideas:In the past I have had a "dump box" in the freezer for all of the vegetable peelings, old herbs and what not that I could not use before they would spoil. When it was full I would use it to make broth. Also I froze the broth in ice cube trays and then stored it in baggies so I could grab any amount I wanted. It also defrosted more quickly this way.Hopefully this helps, because store-bought broth is expensive!-Erin Sarah Navarro <navarrosarahundisclosed recipients <navarrosarahMonday, September 7, 2009 1:14:52 PM Vegetable broth question

Sarah in CA

Erin, can you share with me how to make home made vegtable brooth? On Sep 7, 2009, at 4:22 PM, erin riley <rileysoprano wrote:

Here are some tips/ideas:In the past I have had a "dump box" in the freezer for all of the vegetable peelings, old herbs and what not that I could not use before they would spoil. When it was full I would use it to make broth. Also I froze the broth in ice cube trays and then stored it in baggies so I could grab any amount I wanted. It also defrosted more quickly this way.Hopefully this helps, because store-bought broth is expensive!-Erin Sarah Navarro <navarrosarah (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>undisclosed recipients <navarrosarah (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Monday, September 7, 2009 1:14:52 PM Vegetable broth question

Sarah in CA

Sure... I don't have any hard and fast rules. Basically anytime I made a soup, salad, stir fry etc... I saved the peelings, cores etc and put them in the freezer (if you have a family you probably could save them in the fridge and make broth more often... but its just my husband and I) in a gallon baggie or tupperware. I also threw in veggies and herbs that I didn't think I was going to use before they went bad. When it was full I would put everything in a stock pot, cover it with water and let it simmer away for hours (keeping an eye on it). When I thought the color was good, I would taste a bit and season it based on what I was going to use it for. Since I season my foods heavily, I tended to make a blander broth. The one time I didn't and threw in hot chili peppers with the veggies, I ended up making a soup that was too spicy to eat!Finally I would

strain it and let it cool a bit. If I wasn't going to use it right away I would freeze it in ice cube trays. By the way, through a process of trial and error I found, the best strainer was one of the mesh ones.I'm not terribly scientific about my vegetable choices but here are some basic guidelines:These things are always good and make a basic broth that could be used in any recipe: carrot peels, onion peels, scallion tops, leek tops, potato peels, parsnip peels, parsley stems, celery leaves, the bits of garlic that get stuck in the press, turnip tops & peelsThese things were very good but made a less basic broth: ginger peels & bits, hot pepper tops, corn cobs (which made the broth sweetish), stems and leftovers from more specific herbs such as dill, basil, oregano etc..., These things

seemed to mess up the broth: stems from collards and other bitter greens (made it unbearably bitter and a very dark green), beet bits & peels (turned it bright red), I imagine adding the liquid from canned veggies would work well too. I only avoided it because of the sodium thing. If you drink white wine, you could use up any dry wines that you might not be able to finish to replace part of the water. It really comes down to your personal preferences.By the way, if you are going to be gone all day... throwing it in a crock pot would work too . Good luck and let me know if you find any favorite combos!-ErinStephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94 Monday, September 7, 2009 8:23:41 PMRe: Vegetable broth question

Erin, can you share with me how to make home made vegtable brooth? On Sep 7, 2009, at 4:22 PM, erin riley <rileysoprano@ > wrote:

Here are some tips/ideas:In the past I have had a "dump box" in the freezer for all of the vegetable peelings, old herbs and what not that I could not use before they would spoil. When it was full I would use it to make broth. Also I froze the broth in ice cube trays and then stored it in baggies so I could grab any amount I wanted. It also defrosted more quickly this way.Hopefully this helps, because store-bought broth is expensive!-Erin Sarah Navarro <navarrosarah@ earthlink. net>undisclosed recipients <navarrosarah@ earthlink. net>Monday, September 7, 2009 1:14:52 PM Vegetable broth question

Sarah in CA

Hi Sarah,

I don't use can veggie to make broth, I use celery, onions, carrots, and green

peppers. I think using veggies are cheaper than canned veggies. Let me know,

if it works for u.

-Asia

, " Sarah Navarro " <navarrosarah

wrote:

>

> I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because I

am going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store. I am

wondering if you all use the liquid off of canned vegetables and also the liquid

from when you cook vegetables in your broth. I want to start collecting all this

>

> Sarah in CA

>

>

> ----------

>

>

>

> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09

>

>

>

I use the Vegetable Broth Base they sell in small jars. A little goes a long

way. I try and use the kind that has no msg.

It's a lot less expensive than the broth in boxes or cans.

Alex

I have to admit that I've never make my own veggie broth. Before I was

vegetarian, I used to make chicken stock. My mother wasn't a soup maker and I

don't think my grandmothers were either. I only remember canned Campbell's soup

- usually mushroom, tomato or asparagus. I don't think I could handle all the

salt in those soups now. I don't even remember chicken soup. Soup making just

wasn't part of my upbringing. When I had my own family, I started making every

kind of soup I could get the kids to eat.

I do find the commercial broths to be expensive because I make a lot of soup. I

cheat sometimes and use McKay's 'chicken' flavouring but really love the rich

taste of the veggie broths. A lot of my soups are based on a can of tomatoes.

Maybe this is the year I will start making my own broth. I sure know how to do

it but I guess when I decide to make soup, I want to make soup.

I need to put aside some time to make the broth and freeze it for future use.

thanks for starting this subject.

Audrey

Most canned vegetables have salt as an additive,so the liquid would contain

sodium as well,IMO.I just use filtered water-but I do freeze the finished broth

in ice cube trays and store in ziplocks to add to recipes that call for small

amounts of water,and in 2 cup measures also in ziplocks-I freeze these a few at

a time on a baking pan,so that they are nice and flat,and easily manageable in

my freezer.

As was suggested by another in the group,I save the trimmings from veggies to

use for broth.

Rob

You do the same thing that I do. I got the idea from one of Martha Shulman's

vegetarian cookbooks years ago. I cook many of my vegetables in that broth as

it evolves.

My broth usually begins with water from cooking corn on the cob or some other

vegetable or potatoes. Then I cook my frozen vegetable trimmings in the " corn

water " and any veggies that are looking sad in the vegetable drawer. I always

add a few bay leaves and some frozen whole turmeric for its healthful qualities.

Next, I soak and cook my dried beans in the " broth " . The turmeric isn't very

strong when you use it in a broth, but it is great for you.

My final step, making the broth, is to strain it and put those strained veggies

in my compost pile. The compost gets used on veggies, trees, and shrubs, &

flowers in my garden. That way, the veggies get used again and again. Mother

earth appreciates that.

Kathleen

I save the water I cook my veggies in...I put it in a container in the

> freezer and just add to it as i go...

> Also when I buy fresh fruit and veg I always wash them before putting them

> away...The trimmings from celery, outer leaves of cabbage and lettuce

> etc go into the pot with an onion and maybe a carrot, some herbs from the

> garden.... and are boiled up to make stock....

> it all helps and is cheaper and more healthy than the bought stuff...

I just make vegetable soup. When it is cooked. I scoop several ladles of the

soup and put it in the blender and then add it back to the soup. Makes it

thicker and brings out the flavors. No other broth needed. Yvetta

, " meatfree_in_nyc " <Truequality17

wrote:

>

> Hi Sarah,

> I don't use can veggie to make broth, I use celery, onions, carrots, and green

peppers. I think using veggies are cheaper than canned veggies. Let me know,

if it works for u.

>

> -Asia

>

> , " Sarah Navarro " <navarrosarah@>

wrote:

> >

> > I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because

I am going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store. I am

> >

> > Sarah in CA

> >

> >

> > ----------

> >

> >

> >

> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

> > Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.82/2351 - Release 09/07/09

> >

> >

> >

I do that with most of my soups too even if I use broth. The broth is for

flavour.

Audrey

-

yvettawill

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:22 PM

Re: Vegetable broth question

I just make vegetable soup. When it is cooked. I scoop several ladles of the

soup and put it in the blender and then add it back to the soup. Makes it

thicker and brings out the flavors. No other broth needed. Yvetta

---

Everyday Stock

1 large-ish onion

8 large white mushrooms

1 large carrot

1 stalk celery

4 cloves garlic

1/8 cup fresh parsley

2 tablespoons olive oil

½ cup chardonnay

water to more than cover (about 6 cups)

½ teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Sautee the onion in the oil. Add the rest of the vegetables, coarsely chopped.

Sautee for a couple minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the water

until the vegetables are more than covered. Simmer for about 20 minutes or

until you realize it " smells very good. " Strain the stock into another pot and

discard the vegetables. If you have extra stock, or make double, you can store

it in the refrigerator for a couple days, or you can freeze it in ice cube trays

and store in freezer bags for months.

Thanks! erin riley <rileysoprano Sent: Monday, September 7, 2009 9:52:59 PMRe: Vegetable broth question

Sure... I don't have any hard and fast rules. Basically anytime I made a soup, salad, stir fry etc... I saved the peelings, cores etc and put them in the freezer (if you have a family you probably could save them in the fridge and make broth more often... but its just my husband and I) in a gallon baggie or tupperware. I also threw in veggies and herbs that I didn't think I was going to use before they went bad. When it was full I would put everything in a stock pot, cover it with water and let it simmer away for hours (keeping an eye on it). When I thought the color was good, I would taste a bit and season it based on what I was going to use it for. Since I season my foods heavily, I tended to make a blander broth. The one time I didn't and threw in hot chili peppers with the veggies, I ended up making a soup that was too spicy to eat!Finally I would

strain it and let it cool a bit. If I wasn't going to use it right away I would freeze it in ice cube trays. By the way, through a process of trial and error I found, the best strainer was one of the mesh ones.I'm not terribly scientific about my vegetable choices but here are some basic guidelines:These things are always good and make a basic broth that could be used in any recipe: carrot peels, onion peels, scallion tops, leek tops, potato peels, parsnip peels, parsley stems, celery leaves, the bits of garlic that get stuck in the press, turnip tops & peelsThese things were very good but made a less basic broth: ginger peels & bits, hot pepper tops, corn cobs (which made the broth sweetish), stems and leftovers from more specific herbs such as dill, basil, oregano etc..., These things

seemed to mess up the broth: stems from collards and other bitter greens (made it unbearably bitter and a very dark green), beet bits & peels (turned it bright red),  I imagine adding the liquid from canned veggies would work well too. I only avoided it because of the sodium thing. If you drink white wine, you could use up any dry wines that you might not be able to finish to replace part of the water. It really comes down to your personal preferences.By the way, if you are going to be gone all day... throwing it in a crock pot would work too . Good luck and let me know if you find any favorite combos!-ErinStephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94@ >"" <>Monday, September 7, 2009 8:23:41 PMRe: Vegetable broth question

Erin, can you share with me how to make home made vegtable brooth?  On Sep 7, 2009, at 4:22 PM, erin riley <rileysoprano@ > wrote:

Here are some tips/ideas:In the past I have had a "dump box" in the freezer for all of the vegetable peelings, old herbs and what not that I could not use before they would spoil. When it was full I would use it to make broth. Also I froze the broth in ice cube trays and then stored it in baggies so I could grab any amount I wanted. It also defrosted more quickly this way.Hopefully this helps, because store-bought broth is expensive!-Erin  Sarah Navarro <navarrosarah@ earthlink. net>undisclosed recipients <navarrosarah@ earthlink. net>Monday, September 7, 2009 1:14:52 PM Vegetable broth question

I am going to try my first attempt at making my own vegetable broth because I am going thru a lot of it and it is just too expensive at the store.  I am wondering if you all use the liquid off of canned vegetables and also the liquid from when you cook vegetables in your broth. I want to start collecting all this liquid in the freezer and using it when I boil up all my vegetable peelings and that's what I want to use for my broth, will that work?   Then I will freeze it in 2 cup and 4 cup portions.  Thanks for any help with this.

Sarah in CA

Erin and group,

I have a lot of carrot tops how would I freeze them to make brooth?

Thanks everyone!

Susan

erin riley

Sure... I don't have any hard and fast rules. Basically anytime I made a soup,

salad, stir fry etc... I saved the peelings, cores etc and put them in the

freezer

(excessive quoting deleted by moderator)

Susan, I would probably wash them, cut them in half or so, and freeze them as is in a freezer bag. Wouldn't they be bitter? Let us know how they are when you "broth" them. Thanks, Becky

-

Stephanie Faith

Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:37 PM

Re: Vegetable broth question

Erin and group,I have a lot of carrot tops how would I freeze them to make brooth?Thanks everyone!Susan ________________________________erin riley Sure... I don't have any hard and fast rules. Basically anytime I made a soup, salad, stir fry etc... I saved the peelings, cores etc and put them in the freezer (excessive quoting deleted by moderator)

I'd probably wash them really well and then freeze them until you are ready for

them. Make sure you let the dry off well before you freeze them though.

, Stephanie Faith <stephaniefaith94

wrote:

>

> Erin and group,

>

> I have a lot of carrot tops how would I freeze them to make brooth?

>

> Thanks everyone!

>

> Susan

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> erin riley

> Sure... I don't have any hard and fast rules. Basically anytime I made a soup,

salad, stir fry etc... I saved the peelings, cores etc and put them in the

freezer

>

>

> (excessive quoting deleted by moderator)

>