I realize that fruit is

universally available. That said, does anybody have any ideas relating

to how a fat-free vegan can survive when away from the home

environment? I'd love to go on vacation once in a while,

but.........................just eating fruit, although I would

survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's possible

and usual at home. (We don't want to cook while on vacation). Maybe

that's just not possible.

I hope some of us will have some good answers to this vexing problem.

Norm

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter.

We are a community of 6 million users fighting spam.

SPAMfighter has removed 1679 of my spam emails to date.

Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

The Professional version does not have this message

If you know your destination, google that town and see where there are farmers markets.Trader Joe's is in almost every town and you can pick up many organic and vegan items. This is where I always go when out of town.You can also do Subway and get the veggie sandwhich and load up on your favorite items.You can go to a place that has a great salad bar. You can order a baked potato and salad. Take cans of beans - I could and do eat beans most every day. Throw together some black beans, organic corn, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic and some (homemade is best) salsa and you have a meal or dip.Just a few ideas. I am getting ready to go on a road trip and I pack some wonderful sandwhich of wheat bread, tomato, spinach, red onion, alvacado, and then the fav

organic peanut butter and banana and some fruit. Have funNorman Sussman <norm Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 11:18:28 AM vacation veganism

I realize that fruit is

Norm

--

Norm

Go to just about any Chinese Restaurant

and ask for steamed vegetables. Add hot mustard and a dash of soy sauce.

John

On Behalf Of Norman Sussman

Monday, September 21, 2009

2:18 PM

vacation

veganism

I realize that fruit is universally available.

That said, does anybody have any ideas relating to how a fat-free vegan can

survive when away from the home environment? I'd love to go on vacation

once in a while, but.........................just eating fruit,

although I would survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's

possible and usual at home. (We don't want to cook while on

vacation). Maybe that's just not possible.

Norm

vietnamese spring rolls in rice paper and rice noodles with steamed veggie or stir fried no oil, and tofu. Unita WalburnMulberry Island Station HomesteadBerefoot Books Stall Holdervisit my site @ www.mybarefootbooks.com/UnitaWalburn

John Belluardo <john Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 5:30:44 PMRE: vacation veganism

Norm

Go to just about any Chinese Restaurant and ask for steamed vegetables. Add hot mustard and a dash of soy sauce.

John

[ ] On Behalf Of Norman SussmanMonday, September 21, 2009 2:18 PM vacation veganism

I realize that fruit is universally available. That said, does anybody have any ideas relating to how a fat-free vegan can survive when away from the home environment? I'd love to go on vacation once in a while, but......... ......... .......just eating fruit, although I would survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's possible and usual at home. (We don't want to cook while on vacation). Maybe that's just not possible.I hope some of us will have some good answers to this vexing problem.Norm

Don't forget about useful websites like happycow.net, which are useful for finding veg-friendly restaurants, markets & whatnot all over the country.Even if you don't plan on cooking, it doesn't hurt to pack some shelf stable proteins like nuts or beans just in case you have difficulty finding decent vegan restaurants.Enjoy your trip!!-Erin Sent from my iPhoneOn Sep 21, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Norman Sussman <norm wrote:

I realize that fruit is

Norm

--

Norm, My husband and I have been solid low-fat vegans for years now and travel a lot. In fact we're on the road right now, eating at a Panera's Restaurant as I write this. We ask for food exactly the way we want it and never have any trouble getting it that way. Once you learn to ask for what you want (and send it back if it doesn't come that way), you can eat pretty much anywhere.

Lots of good advice today from others on the list. For lunch today we stopped at a Wendy's and got a plain backed potato with the side salad and poured the side salad over the backed potato and mushed it all together. Very good and filling.

Good luck. Enjoy your travels.

Mary (in route from Colorado to Florida)

John Belluardo <john

Mon, Sep 21, 2009 3:30 pm

RE: vacation veganism

Norm

Go to just about any Chinese Restaurant

and ask for steamed vegetables. Add hot mustard and a dash of soy sauce.

John

Monday, September 21, 2009

2:18 PM

vacation

veganism

I realize that fruit is universally available.

That said, does anybody have any ideas relating to how a fat-free vegan can

survive when away from the home environment? I'd love to go on vacation

once in a while, but.........................just eating fruit,

although I would survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's

possible and usual at home. (We don't want to cook while on

vacation). Maybe that's just not possible.

Norm

If you go to a tex-mex place, you could try one of my favourites.  Ask for a spinach onion & mushroom quesadilla with no cheese, oil, or butter or anything. They come back nice and crispy and completely non-greasy. You could also ask for a guacamole enchilada.  I find if I'm really specific about my needs, most places will really try to accommodate me.

Jason's Deli does a great spinach veggie wrap, lots of flavour and just tell them to omit the cheese, and have it with steamed vegetables.

Faith

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:52 PM, <marylizzy wrote:

Norm, My husband and I have been solid low-fat vegans for years now and travel a lot.  In fact we're on the road right now, eating at a Panera's Restaurant as I write this.  We ask for food exactly the way we want it and never have any trouble getting it that way.  Once you learn to ask for what you want (and send it back if it doesn't come that way), you can eat pretty much anywhere.

Lots of good advice today from others on the list.  For lunch today we stopped at a Wendy's and got a plain backed potato with the side salad and poured the side salad over the backed potato and mushed it all together.  Very good and filling.

Good luck.  Enjoy your travels.Mary (in route from Colorado to Florida)

John Belluardo <john

Mon, Sep 21, 2009 3:30 pmRE: vacation veganism

Norm

Go to just about any Chinese Restaurant and ask for steamed vegetables. Add hot mustard and a dash of soy sauce.

John

Monday, September 21, 2009 2:18 PM

vacation veganism

I realize that fruit is universally available.  That said, does anybody have any ideas relating to how a fat-free vegan can survive when away from the home environment?  I'd love to go on vacation once in a while, but.........................just eating fruit, although I would survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's possible and usual at home.  (We don't want to cook while on vacation).  Maybe that's just not possible.

I hope some of us will have some good answers to this vexing problem.Norm

-- " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/

If anyone has an iPhone (I know it is somewhat of a luxury item, but after owning one, living without one would be tough!), there is an awesome app called VegOut from Happycow.net that finds all vegetarian, vegan, and 've-friendly eateries within so many miles from your location-I LOVE it and it really helped in San Francisco, San Diego, & Las Vegas this summer!On Sep 21, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Erin <rileysoprano wrote:

Don't forget about useful websites like happycow.net, which are useful for finding veg-friendly restaurants, markets & whatnot all over the country.Even if you don't plan on cooking, it doesn't hurt to pack some shelf stable proteins like nuts or beans just in case you have difficulty finding decent vegan restaurants.Enjoy your trip!!-Erin Sent from my iPhoneOn Sep 21, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Norman Sussman <norm (AT) plateautel (DOT) net> wrote:

I realize that fruit is

Norm

--

Funny, I haven't even found that one yet... thanks for the tip! Jenn <batmanusdmychina Monday, September 21, 2009 7:27:44 PMRe: vacation veganism

If anyone has an iPhone (I know it is somewhat of a luxury item, but after owning one, living without one would be tough!), there is an awesome app called VegOut from Happycow.net that finds all vegetarian, vegan, and 've-friendly eateries within so many miles from your location-I LOVE it and it really helped in San Francisco, San Diego, & Las Vegas this summer!On Sep 21, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Erin <rileysoprano@ > wrote:

Don't forget about useful websites like happycow.net, which are useful for finding veg-friendly restaurants, markets & whatnot all over the country.Even if you don't plan on cooking, it doesn't hurt to pack some shelf stable proteins like nuts or beans just in case you have difficulty finding decent vegan restaurants.Enjoy your trip!!-Erin Sent from my iPhoneOn Sep 21, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Norman Sussman <norm (AT) plateautel (DOT) net> wrote:

I realize that fruit is

but......... ......... .......just eating fruit, although I would

Norm

--

That reminds me. We get pizzas all the time now with no cheese and, of course, no meat. We just have them load on the veggies. Some pizza places make them better than others, but all make them.

Mary

Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl

Mon, Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: vacation veganism

If you go to a tex-mex place, you could try one of my favourites. Ask for a spinach onion & mushroom quesadilla with no cheese, oil, or butter or anything. They come back nice and crispy and completely non-greasy. You could also ask for a guacamole enchilada. I find if I'm really specific about my needs, most places will really try to accommodate me.

Jason's Deli does a great spinach veggie wrap, lots of flavour and just tell them to omit the cheese, and have it with steamed vegetables.

Faith

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:52 PM, <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

Norm, My husband and I have been solid low-fat vegans for years now and travel a lot. In fact we're on the road right now, eating at a Panera's Restaurant as I write this. We ask for food exactly the way we want it and never have any trouble getting it that way. Once you learn to ask for what you want (and send it back if it doesn't come that way), you can eat pretty much anywhere.

Lots of good advice today from others on the list. For lunch today we stopped at a Wendy's and got a plain backed potato with the side salad and poured the side salad over the backed potato and mushed it all together. Very good and filling.

John Belluardo <john (AT) belluardo (DOT) org>

Norm

John

vacation veganism

I realize that fruit is universally available. That said, does anybody have any ideas relating to how a fat-free vegan can survive when away from the home environment? I'd love to go on vacation once in a while, but.........................just eating fruit, although I would survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's possible and usual at home. (We don't want to cook while on vacation). Maybe that's just not possible.

Norm

--

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau

Just be sure to ask about the crust, some have egg in them.ErinSent from my iPhoneOn Sep 21, 2009, at 10:35 PM, marylizzy wrote:

That reminds me. We get pizzas all the time now with no cheese and, of course, no meat. We just have them load on the veggies. Some pizza places make them better than others, but all make them.

Mary

Faith Stencel <chauceriangirl >

Mon, Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: vacation veganism

If you go to a tex-mex place, you could try one of my favourites. Ask for a spinach onion & mushroom quesadilla with no cheese, oil, or butter or anything. They come back nice and crispy and completely non-greasy. You could also ask for a guacamole enchilada. I find if I'm really specific about my needs, most places will really try to accommodate me.

Faith

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:52 PM, <marylizzy (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

John Belluardo <john (AT) belluardo (DOT) org>

Norm

John

vacation veganism

I realize that fruit is universally available. That said, does anybody have any ideas relating to how a fat-free vegan can survive when away from the home environment? I'd love to go on vacation once in a while, but.........................just eating fruit, although I would survive, it won't be the same as the enjoyable variety that's possible and usual at home. (We don't want to cook while on vacation). Maybe that's just not possible.

Norm

--

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau

Thank you all for your

excellent suggestions. I'm always concerned that some restaurants will

include eggs or a bit of oil, or milk in their fare, even if I ask for

dishes without any of them. But, I will take your good advice.

Norm

--

SPAMfighter has removed 1685 of my spam emails to date.

One nice thing about the VegOut application, is that in addition to telling you what restaurants are available and where they are, most of the time you can link directly to their websites (if they have one-a lot of them don't) and you can look them up that way and read their offerings. A phone number is also generally included too, so you can always call them and ask before you go (didn't have the problem of not having what I wanted, but some of them were closed when we got there, or there was a really long waiting time to get in, or it just wasn't there...)If you don't have the iPod Touch or an iPhone, you can go to HappyCow.net or VegDining.com and look up restaurants manually, copy & paste the ones you want to go to into a word processing document,then print your list of all the places you want to go to and bring the printout with you. This is

what I did before I had an iPhone (and before internet was readily available everywhere you went...). It works fairly well, though a little more time consuming, and you can run into the same issues as I mentioned before. --- On Tue, 9/22/09, Norman Sussman <norm wrote:Norman Sussman <norm Re:vacation veganism Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 8:52 AM

Thank you all for your

excellent suggestions. I'm always concerned that some restaurants will

include eggs or a bit of oil, or milk in their fare, even if I ask for

dishes without any of them. But, I will take your good advice.

Norm

--

SPAMfighter has removed 1685 of my spam emails to date.

Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

Norm,

Follow John's advice and don't forget tofu (bean curd) is usually on the menu.

Just ask for help in choosing you meal and watch the sauces. Also, I either call

ahead or ask to speak to the chef when I get to a restaurant. Don't forget whole

wheat pasta with fresh steamed veggies is good. Sometimes their breads are

dairy/oil free. Ask for help from the restaurant staff. I usually ask that the

manager come to my table when I am first seated and then explain my

diabetic/vegan needs. They are always happy to help suggest foods they can

prepare to please me.

Don't forget: Ask and you shall recieve. Don't forget the dazzling smile.

Marcie

I have found that many chefs enjoy the challenge and the opportunity

to cook off menu when I request a vegan dish...Im first off sure that

the server knows what vegan means... :-)

Ive had grilled vegetables... stir frys made up with request to stir

fry veggies in water.... ive had thai food that i request veggies be

steamed... when youre plant based, low fat, whole foods you and your

family and friends all just get used to you requesting something off

menu.... i also think it informs the chefs, restaurant owners etc...

that vegan/vegetarian options are of interest to folks...

loved the trader joes ideas... do that often... always have lara bars

with me... or some nuts... a baked potato with salsa and black

beans ... love it!!!

good to get others ideas and decrease the isolation that being FFVegan

can bring about sometimes!!

Tom

once while traveling i went to a tex mex place and I was able to get them to make me fajitas without meat just the onions peppers and they added mushrooms and i skipped on the guac and sour cream and just added lettuce and tomatoes and had a side of black beans if you get creative you can turn anything into a vegan/veggie friendly meal and even at standard places like big chain restaraunts you can aslways ask for substitutions except for Applebees I made the mistake of going there and everything has meat in it and its apparently pre made cause I tried to get things changed and they couldnt because it was all pre made which isnt very appetizing to begin whether you eat meat or not my husband isnt a vegatarian and he was disgusted when he found out it all comes like that so we had to leave Blessed

BeMARIzone 10www.facebook.com/mari.t.hernandez

Lots of places have everything pre-made, so getting it changed is tough, so you might get stuck with the response of "You can have a salad" or "You can have a baked potato" (plain of course, though they will try to pawn off condiments like butter and sour cream on you, even after you tell them you are a vegan...they apparently don't know what that means in some parts of the country...). It's really easy to get Baked Potato Burnout really fast.I agree that Applebees is a very un-veg friendly chain restaurant. I was not impressed with it the one time I tried to eat there (probably 10 years ago and never again since because it left such a bad first impression on me). Olive Garden is that way too (most everything is premade)...but I have been told that the minestrone soup and the bread sticks are vegan; the green salad is vegan if you leave off the

house dressing (it has anchovies and cheese in it) and the croutons (they have cheese in them)-also, their marinara has chicken broth in it, so you will want to stay away from that. I don't tend to eat at chain restaurants if I can help it, but sometimes that is your only option while on the road :( Try to stick with ethnic restaurants if you can-Mediterranean, Chinese, Indian-usually you will find a lot more variety in those than the standard chain restaurants and if things are not on the menu, ask-you might be surprised :) We went to a new restaurant in town many years ago and they customized an entire platter of vegan food for me and I got a lot of people talking about what I got and they wished they had ordered it (usually in the more high end restaurants is where this sort of thing happens, but it's worth trying anywhere you go, even places you least expect it)--- On Tue, 9/22/09, Mari

<frowningangel wrote:Mari <frowningangelif you get creative you can turn anything into a vegan/veggie friendly meal and even at standard places like big chain restaraunts you can aslways ask for substitutions except for Applebees I made the mistake of going there and everything has meat in it and its apparently pre made cause I

tried to get things changed and they couldnt because it was all pre made which isnt very appetizing to begin whether you eat meat or not my husband isnt a vegatarian and he was disgusted when he found out it all comes like that so we had to leave Blessed

BeMARIzone 10www.facebook. com/mari. t.hernandez

I rarely eat at Applebee's. However, I used to get the chicken almond salad, I believe it was called. It's an oriental dish. They wouldn't let me leave the chicken off but I asked for it on the side, which they would do. Go figure! Then I just left the chicken. At another one, the waitress said that even though it's not on the menu, they can make a vegetable stir-fry. So we had that. It was delicious. I've also had the vegetable plate. It's been a long time ago but if I recall it had steamed new potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Just wanted to share that even Applebee's is doable in a crunch. MarthaMari <frowningangel Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:22:39 PMRe: Re: vacation veganism once while traveling i went to a tex mex place and I was able to get them to make me fajitas without meat just the onions peppers and they added mushrooms and i skipped on the guac and sour cream and just added lettuce and tomatoes and had a side of black beans if you get creative you can turn anything into a vegan/veggie friendly meal and even at standard places like big chain restaraunts you can aslways ask for substitutions except for Applebees I made the mistake of going there and everything has meat in it and its apparently pre made cause I tried to get things changed and they couldnt because it was all pre made which isnt very appetizing to begin whether you eat meat or not my husband isnt a vegatarian and he was disgusted when he found out it all comes like that so we had to leave

oh Martha I would have loved some stir fry but when I spoke with the waitress and then the manger thy said they couldnt do anything for me needless to say I wont be going back and this was a few months ago while we where in the next county but you are right most places even chain restaurants are usually more helpful and will try to make a substitute or leave and ingredient out ive been to chilis, tgi fridays and even at olive garden they will swap something out I went to Olive Garden a few weeks ago aftermy grandmothers funeral we all went out to eat together, 30 people and that was just close family, and Oive Garden was the closest place so I got the mushroom ravioli and since I asked for no sauce the cook came and asked if I would like a drizzle of olive and garlic on the ravioli so it wouldnt be plain and I agreed and it was delicious

Blessed BeMARIzone 10www.facebook.com/mari.t.hernandez--- On Wed, 9/23/09, Martha <mnatural22 wrote:Martha <mnatural22Re: Re: vacation veganism Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

I rarely eat at Applebee's. However, I used to get the chicken almond salad, I believe it was called. It's an oriental dish. They wouldn't let me leave the chicken off but I asked for it on the side, which they would do. Go figure! Then I just left the chicken. At another one, the waitress said that even though it's not on the menu, they can make a vegetable stir-fry. So we had that. It was delicious. I've also had the vegetable plate. It's been a long time ago but if I recall it had steamed new potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Just wanted to share that even Applebee's is doable in a crunch. Martha

Why would you assume fruit is the only option?

I travel nearly every week for work. PETA, while I don't agree with all their

tactics, has compiled a list of veg*n options at chain restaurants. You should

always ask and be very specific about your needs. Finer restaurants will always

do their best to accomodate you.

Websites like Happycow.com also list veg friendly restaurants all around the

world. I found some great places in Switzerland which I am sure you know is very

fond of their dairy.

There is even a book you can order from Amazon but I can't remember the name of

it. I am sure you can search for it and find it.

Will it always be fat free? No. But will one week on the road kill you? No and

it beats staying home FOREVER.

smith_sharonl,

Thanks for pointing out the PETA veg site. I went there and did a search for

vegan " fat free " , and came up with lots of recipes. But, despite the specifics

in my search, just about all used fat or oil. Also, most appeared to have fake

meat ingredients; surely to lure omnivores.

I'll look again, but in the first go around I was unable to find a link to

restaurants with vegan options on the PETA site. I have searched the net in the

past. But, considering that I don't live near a heavily populated area, I wasn't

surprised that I found none.

Our site has plenty of very nice fat-free vegan recipes; with few that require

fake meat.

Norm

=====================================================================

, " smith_sharonl " <smith_sharonl wrote:

>

> Why would you assume fruit is the only option?

>

> I travel nearly every week for work. PETA, while I don't agree with all their

tactics, has compiled a list of veg*n options at chain restaurants. You should

always ask and be very specific about your needs. Finer restaurants will always

do their best to accomodate you.

>

> Websites like Happycow.com also list veg friendly restaurants all around the

world. I found some great places in Switzerland which I am sure you know is very

fond of their dairy.

>

> There is even a book you can order from Amazon but I can't remember the name

of it. I am sure you can search for it and find it.

>

> Will it always be fat free? No. But will one week on the road kill you? No and

it beats staying home FOREVER.

>