IndiaDivine.org

Favorite Ways to Cook Tofu

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

I love this message board and Susan's recipes! I have been reading it everyday

since prior to Aug 2008 when I became Vegan. I wanted to start a topic on

cooking Tofu - readers favorite ways to cook tofu. Susan's Baked Tofu recipe is

so simple and wonderful, I was wondering if there was other favorites out there.

Thanks!

Marla

One of my favorite recipes was my tomato boccocini cheese salad. I have revamped

it using smoked tofu! It is simple to make:

slice the smoked tofu about 1/8 " thick and lay out the slices on a dish with

sides on it with some tomato slices. pour on some white balsamic vinegar and

garnish with some caper berries. Cover and marinate for several hours. Serve at

room temperature.

I have 2 favourite ways to cook tofu.

Tofumigas

drain some firm silken tofu

while it's draining, saute

some chopped purple onion

garlic

chopped red/green/yellow bell pepper, whichever suits your fancy

whole kernel corn (fresh is best, but frozen is okay)

black beans (canned is fine, just rinse & drain)

mix the tofu with a little turmeric, some cumin, a little paprika, whatever you like, and add it to the pan. Put it on medium low, and cook until the moisture is all cooked out and it's a nice golden colour.  Serve with warm tortillas and some salsa.

Grilled Tofu Sammiches

Slice a block of extra firm silken tofu horizontally, in thinnish slices. I usually get about 8 slices from a block of tofu.  Lightly brush each slice top and bottom with just a little canola oil (optional), and dust each side with some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and italian herbs.  Cover and put back in the refrigerator for about an hour or so.

Heat up a nonstick skillet to medium or medium high, and cook the tofu until it's a nice crispy brown and you can't stand it any longer you have to eat it right NOW and serve on whole grain hamburger buns with some nayonnaise (again, optional, but gives it a really good flavour), romaine lettuce, thinly sliced purple onion, and sliced tomato.

Now I'm hungry and can't wait to go home and make this. lol

Faith

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM, mkochelek <marlak wrote:

Hi Everyone,I love this message board and Susan's recipes! I have been reading it everyday since prior to Aug 2008 when I became Vegan. I wanted to start a topic on cooking Tofu - readers favorite ways to cook tofu. Susan's Baked Tofu recipe is so simple and wonderful, I was wondering if there was other favorites out there.

Thanks!Marla

-- " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/

I try to usually have some tofu marinating almost of the time.  I use Bryanna Clark Grogan's Breast of Tofu recipe, but I don't fry it -- I just put the marinated tofu slices on a baking sheet, pour whatever marinade hasn't been soaked up over it, and then bake it until all the liquid has absorbed and it is golden (probably at about 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or so, turning it once during that time.  It's good in sandwiches, crumbled/diced into salads and stir frys, and just plain (even cold). You can leave it marinating for up to two weeks, and is best if it marinates at least a day or two.