IndiaDivine.org

request for assistance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a friend at work who has started eating dairy heavy vegetarian lunches

" for his health " . When I pointed out that a vegan lunch would actually be lower

in cholesterol, sat fats etc... he said he didn't think he could do it, because

he needed the flavor of cheese, mayo etc. (He predominantly eats veggie wraps

with lots of cheese and stuff because they are easy for him.)

I promised him I would post a list of easy, tasty vegan spread alternatives and

tasty combos for wraps and sandwiches which he could easily assemble before

work.I have started a draft list but wondered if you guys had any suggestions. I

will be posting this list on my blog, so if you want to share a secret family

recipe please let me know that you don't want it included. (I don't want to step

on anyone's toes)

Since he isn't a true vegan or eat an vegetarian, I am generally trying to avoid

meat and cheese analogs, just because in my experience, people who are omni's

tend to find them unappealing.

Thank you for your help!

-Erin

I've been eating VLT's like they're going out of style. They're super easy--good wholegrain bread, some vegenaise (or whatever your braind of vegan mayo), a little vegan bacon bits, and plenty of lettuce and sliced tomato.

And I really like the Amy's vegan burritos, if you're needing convenience food. They have a black bean one, and a regular pinto bean one, and both are really good. My good friend at work is practically converted to at least vegetarianism by those.  We usually have them with a few multi-grain tortilla chips and a little guacamole.

Hummus and sliced carrots and celery is good, if you watch the portion control of the hummus.

pbj on whole-grain bread

when i'm at my height of laziness, i'll buy a bag of frozen brown rice from target, and we'll have that with a bag of frozen veggies mixed together.

and i know you said you want to stay away from the analogs, but I have to say that the galaxy rice cheese is seriously good. i've made grilled cheese sandwiches with it, and it's divine.

faith

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:06 AM, rileysoprano <rileysoprano wrote:

I have a friend at work who has started eating dairy heavy vegetarian lunches " for his health " . When I pointed out that a vegan lunch would actually be lower in cholesterol, sat fats etc... he said he didn't think he could do it, because he needed the flavor of cheese, mayo etc. (He predominantly eats veggie wraps with lots of cheese and stuff because they are easy for him.)

I promised him I would post a list of easy, tasty vegan spread alternatives and tasty combos for wraps and sandwiches which he could easily assemble before work.I have started a draft list but wondered if you guys had any suggestions. I will be posting this list on my blog, so if you want to share a secret family recipe please let me know that you don't want it included. (I don't want to step on anyone's toes)

Since he isn't a true vegan or eat an vegetarian, I am generally trying to avoid meat and cheese analogs, just because in my experience, people who are omni's tend to find them unappealing. Thank you for your help!

-Erin

-- " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/

Even omni's seem to all like hummus, and there are many varieties. One can buy

low-fat hummus (I've heard of those finding nonfat, but I haven't found any

locally), or can easily make their own. It would work in veggie wraps as a

substitute for mayo and cheese.

Diane

That reminds me--one of my friends got me hummus and pita bread at their family's 4th of July cookout. I schmeared the hummus on the inside of the pita, and filled it with salad & veggies. It made a fantastic sandwich.

Faith

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM, hathor42 <hathor42 wrote:

Even omni's seem to all like hummus, and there are many varieties. One can buy low-fat hummus (I've heard of those finding nonfat, but I haven't found any locally), or can easily make their own. It would work in veggie wraps as a substitute for mayo and cheese.

Diane

-- " If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. " --Henry David Thoreau

Visit my blog at http://chauceriangirl.wordpress.com/